/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Clinic Heals US Community

Pure
12-01-2006, 01:08 AM
Muslim Clinic Heals US Community

By Sahar Kassaimah, IOL Correspondent

WASHINGTON — Ten years after the opening of the first full-time charitable clinic at the US, University Muslim Medical Association (UMMA) is now serving about 16,000 American patients of all religious backgrounds who completely rely on its services for all their medical care.

"We started out with two paid employees supported by volunteer physicians and staff members, working only three days a week," said Dr. Mansur Khan, a co-founder and UMMA Board Vice Chairman, told IslamOnline.net.

"Now 10 years later, we have about 16,000 patients who completely rely on UMMA for all their medical care.

"We have 17 fulltime employees and operate fulltime five days a week."
Dr. Khan said they have hired physicians in addition to a large pool of volunteer physicians who volunteer usually once a month.

Dissatisfied with the lack of Muslim involvement in solving America's social issues, a small group of seven Muslim American students launched the project in 1996.
"Myself and six other UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) students came up with the idea in 1992," Dr. Khan remembers.

"Most of us were public health or medical students. We were dissatisfied with the lack of Muslim involvement in the partaking in and solving of domestic social issues.

"With so many Muslims involved with the health profession, it struck us that Muslims were not living up to their potential to do their part."

UMMA seeks to promote the well-being of the underserved by providing access to high quality healthcare for all, regardless of ability to pay.

It aims to help alleviate some of the needs of the surrounding community in regards to proper health care and medical treatment.

Based on statistics from Los Angeles city and county for local planning and health districts, 51 percent of the area's adult target population has no medical insurance at all, exceeding the county average of 31 percent.

Between 34 and 46 percent of area children lack insurance coverage.

Over two thirds of the clinic's adult patients have very low income or meet federal poverty criteria.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
12-01-2006, 01:22 AM
wow...thank you

jazakallah khayr for the info

Curaezipirid
12-01-2006, 01:39 AM
Yes excellent information, and well timed providence.

I am wondering if there is yet any epidemiological evidence Muslim health care provision being able to lessen incident of mental ill health. I have evidence of such my self, and have just this morning sent to an Legal representative of a man whom has offered me a gift of Alms aligned with my prayer.

The whole situation is so absurd because I have a false diagnosis of mental ill health made against me, in which no lawyer will represent me, and in the matter of receiving the money, which will be enough for me to pay the legal expenses to clear me of an accusation of schizophrenia, (being made while I am unmarried and unable to close my mind), already a few lawyers are turning me away in assuming that I must be insane only because I am penniless and in large quantity of knowledge.

Forgiveness is the key to knowing any matter in reality. I forgive those whom I observe to be spending their money but whom can not comprehend what the account is of earning and spending in money. So I often come across as a wealthy person also, then when I report that I have no money, there is a different group of persons supposing that I am insane for a different set of reasons.

Good on the many Muslims working in health care provision because that is really the only way to amend the problem.

In reality I also wish I had not mentioned to Muslimah in Sydney at Muslim Village that it will be effective to work with the Australian homebirthing movement, because they took my report as reason to work in the opposite direction only by assuming insanity of me as though I am a shaytan.

They are all learning, I guess. Learning about the fulfillment of the ahadith about a bad thing happening to the Arabs. Not war but mistaking that very ahadith and so enforcing it upon their own situation.

salam

Pure
12-03-2006, 02:39 AM
UMMA clinic does some really awesome work, ma sha Allaah! (click on it and watch this breath-taking trailer!)

I am very impressed on how far they have come and what they are doing for the community!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
12-03-2006, 03:04 AM
what a great story!
i think muslims should involve themselves more in america's social problems and hope this will start a trend. in addition to doing good work, it is also excellent PR, which is badly needed.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-03-2006, 03:11 AM
lol i put this up like a week ago. looool
oh well, at least more will see it this way :D

Pure
12-03-2006, 05:00 AM
lol exactly

and i posted that link as well for the awesome Youtube video.. its truly inspirational!

Skillganon
12-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Mashallah. Alhamdulillah.

arabiyyah
12-04-2006, 02:41 AM
greatstory :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.