/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Your experience in giving da'wah...

syilla
12-01-2006, 09:14 AM
:sl:

i only gave ppl advises...but i was mocked and etc...:-\

can anyone share with me their experiences when giving da'wah. What is the worst scenario you ever been...

then maybe my heart will feel better...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
12-01-2006, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla

can anyone share with me their experiences when giving da'wah. What is the worst scenario you ever been...

happened 2me too.. so normal, prophets copped more ;)
so keep at it, and remember it means moer reward, never giv up insahlah!

noah spent 950 years being mocked at and never gave up even tho only few ppl listend to him :)

all the best

:w: :D

syilla
12-01-2006, 09:19 AM
^^^share with us your experience...pleaseee.....

i really can't compare myself with prophets

but at least i can compare with you :p

lolwatever
12-01-2006, 09:25 AM

lol i dont think i really wanan get into detail.... but there hav been phases where ppl bagged teh absolute crap out of me lol... n literally it was me vs 10 ppl.

personally i didn't really felt depressed as such.... especially after one of my superiors who himself disagreed with me pointed out that the fact it was me alone vs every1 else put me in a v powerful position coz every1 would listen 2me even tho they really really really really wanted to wipe the ground with me.

in my case... eventually ppl either became neutral to me or actually became interested in what i had to say, i guess coz some of the 'hot head' elements had left the groups that where generating lies about me.

in one case, in one particular issue.... i remember i was really stern about it and ppl looked at me wierd, and i actually did compromise to an extent, and subhanallah the same ppl who use 2 make fun of me where the very ones giving me dawah on taht same particular point 1 year later!!!!!! now i reeally really really reeeallly felt ashamed of myself for not keepin firm.

lessons from story? never give up, you'll always be happy if u keep at it ;) either int his world or hereafter.

tc salamz :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lolwatever
12-01-2006, 09:26 AM

about comparing with prophets, remember the prophets are humans like us, they're huamns so we can follow them ;) das y allah didnt send us angels as prophets, he sent us humans so we can relate to them :D
:w:

syilla
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
about comparing with prophets, remember the prophets are humans like us, they're huamns so we can follow them ;) das y allah didnt send us angels as prophets, he sent us humans so we can relate to them :D

yeah i know...

i just want to force you tell the story...

btw....thanks for the story...

i guess i should not have give up.

lolwatever
12-01-2006, 09:31 AM
^ :lol: :rant:

north_malaysian
12-01-2006, 09:45 AM

Wow... you are so brave to do this in Malaysia ... among the youngsters?:-\

IbnAbdulHakim
12-01-2006, 09:47 AM
ye i gave dawah to some dude yesterday n he came out wiv "no i've been through this before i dont wanna hear it", lol i was like... umm... oook... lol

aamirsaab
12-01-2006, 10:14 AM
..can anyone share with me their experiences when giving da'wah. What is the worst scenario you ever been...

So far i've given some dawah to two of my chinese friends at uni. Though, it was really more of me explaining to them prayer and the amount of times we are to do so. Alhumdulilah, both of them listened well and one even waited for me to pray so we could go to chicken cottage for lunch :p. The other one reminds me that I've got prayers to go to ;D

I guess it comes down to the fact that there are different forms of dawah and that dawa doesn't mean that other people convert/revert to Islam, rather that they have a better understanding of the religion as a result.

Also, to be fair, there are some people that da'wah has very little effect on, but at least you can say you tried at the end of the day and that the fault lies with them, not you.

(By try, I mean don't just say "One God, name is Allah. Revert now, silly bacha" cus that never works. Ever.)

^..sTr!vEr..^
12-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Yesss...my class girls made fun of me + name calling n al that ....real bad experiences...but inshAllah al wil be OK in the end... :)

Woodrow
12-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I think it must be remembered that Da'wah is communication. Communication at what is probably the most personal and intimate level humanly possible outside of marriage. We are talking of sharing our greatest love with strangers. No wonder we feel hurt, confused and frustrated when it goes wrong.

Let us look at what communication is. It consists of a minimum of three parts. A message, a sender and a receiver. As a sender we need to know what is the message we intend to send. Then for it to even be reached by the intended receiver we need to know what level that receiver is on. After sending our message we need to know what it was the receiver received and how they understood it. In the mean time there are many obstacles at work preventing the message from being properly sent, received and how was it received. It is a miracle we can even express to a close friend, what we want for lunch. It is not on our own that we can give true Da'wah. We need to turn loose and look for the means Allah(swt) has given for each of us and forget about how we would like to.

Some people have been given the gift of great oral ability and wonderful verbal skills. For them Da'wah flows as easily and readly as water in a fresh stream and is a pleasure for all to hear.

Some of us have voices that grate on peoples nerves, we have little verbal skills and our vocal mannerisms are found to irritate people. For those of us in that category, we need to look further into what is our best means of giving Da'wah. It may be through example. It may be by having the ability to write good refutations to lies. It may be by having the means to travel far and wide and being able to share the travel stories.

Each of us probably have at least some skills in all of the areas I mentioned, so we need to try to work on each and use what we know to be true and not an attempt to instill belief by force.

As long as we give Da'wah through the means best suited for us, do it as love and not as a feeling of pride or accomplishment, and remember Allah(swt) is the true master of Da'wah. we will not have any bad experiences. We may be misunderstood, but that does not need to create enemies or end friendly contacts.

For each of us Da'wah will differ. But part of Da'wah is the same for all of us and that is one of the best means of Da'wah and that is to live life as a true Muslim and give the true message that we are a people of love and understanding.

Let people see by our example that we are doing or best to live as Allah(swt) wishes us too. Let people know we pose no danger or threat to them if they do not agree with us. Extend the branches of friendship to all.

Now getting back to my personal experiences with Da'wah. For many reasons my contacts with much of the outside world is very limited. As the days progress there is less opportunity I have to leave my room. My face to face contacts with people is very rare now and nearly every person I do have face to face contact with is already Muslim.

So my tool of Da'wah is the PC and through the internet. All I can do is continue to tell why I believe in Allah(swt) Try to show through my typed words that I am living a humble peaceful life and pose no threat to any person. I try to show through my words that Islam is a religion of peace and love. I try to show that as Muslims we are peaceful rational people that do not incite nor condone violence.

So far I can not say I have had any regretable moments in my attempts to give Da'wah.

Umar001
12-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh man, Assalamu ALeykum first

But boy I so dislike giving dawah, specially at college, I mean I used to but the thing is, you get alot of Christians who try to argue and don't know their own religion. So it just get's so fastruating. Like once, some brothers put up a daw'ah table outside college, I was talking to one girl and I was like 'why don't you want to accept Islam' (I knew her through a sister so it wasnt me saying it in a rude way) and she was like 'erm, I dont know' so I was like 'well what dont you agree with' she was like 'the hijab..' I mean how the hell does t he hijab make a difference as to whether the religion is right or wrong, ****! Then there was this other girl with her who was just talking the most absurd stuff like 'doesn't the Bible say Adam and eve covered just their private parts, i.e. his thing and her things. with leaves' I was like thinking 'Learn your bible aint nowhere say what part of the body adam and eve covered and if they covered it with leaves thats just pictures of artists, and she telling me all this stuf about how religions are all true.

ARGH, People tend to rely on their emotions round here :(

- Qatada -
12-01-2006, 01:29 PM
:salamext:

In Da'wah we call to 3 aspects insha'Allaah

:

1) Tawhid (Oneness of Allaah, His Lordship, none is worthy of worship but Him, His Names & Attributes.)

2) Risaalah - Prophets/Messengers who come to convey Allaah's message.

3) Al-Aakhirah. [The Hereafter - judgement day, paradise/hellfire]

Like brother Kamal el Makki said, don't attack the other persons faith because they will hold onto the dirt in their hand tighter, instead show them your diamond (of islaam) and they will drop the dirt to hold the diamond instead insha'Allaah.

And like brother Muhammad al-Shareef said: Build a wall for them first [of islaam] then they will realise the weakness of their own wall, so they will seek protection under yours because they understand its true security and strength.

Try getting a good understanding of them aspects, and then your da'wah will be alot more easier insha'Allaah because this way you'll be taking the drivers seat instead of the other person.

Here's some beneficial links for dawah insha'Allaah:

http://www.beconvinced.com/

http://www.thewaytotruth.org/

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Musaafirah
12-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I've never actually given Da'wah to my friends at uni :embarrass..
I mean what I do is, when it's time for salaah, I'll tell them that I'm going to pray and leave my bag with them or whatever.
We talked once about it..but they seem to think that all the wars in world are to do with Religion... with each person professing their beliefs to be the true one all the time..
Umm..I'm not much of a historian or anything, so I can never reply well :muddlehea..but we don't really talk about religion much now anyway...

Ismahaan
12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
I gave dawah to a girl in my class. She's a very religious Christian, and I hate to say it, but she seems like quite a good person, a good kafir (if there's such a thing). I told her about the similarities between Islam and Christianity, and was suprised by it. She told me that she likes how we muslims have fixed prayer times. I was amazed by this comment. I thought woow she must really love God (Allah). So Allah may guide her if He wishes.

Umar001
12-01-2006, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ismahaan
I gave dawah to a girl in my class. She's a very religious Christian, and I hate to say it, but she seems like quite a good person, a good kafir (if there's such a thing). I told her about the similarities between Islam and Christianity, and was suprised by it. She told me that she likes how we muslims have fixed prayer times. I was amazed by this comment. I thought woow she must really love God (Allah). So Allah may guide her if He wishes.
Sounds like a potential muslim actually.

Should ask her some questions which would make her think

glo
12-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Hi Syilla

Many people make the mistake to think that when they give dawah/evangelise, it is about 'saying just the right thing to convince the other person, and see them convert'.

I don't think it is!
It is just about sharing your faith and telling or showing people how you live your faith.

I very much like Woodrow's post - it just about sums it up!

Some people are called to be great teachers and preachers, others are not.
Don't beat yourself up, if you are not 'winning people over'.

You give dawah not just but what you tell people about your faith, but also by just being yourself!
At some point in the future they may remember what you told them, but chances are they will remember evn more what kind of person you were!

Don't feel bad. Just be yourself, and leave the rest to God! It is God who tugs at people's hearts and calls them to him - not your words or actions.

Peace

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 01:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Hi Syilla

Many people make the mistake to think that when they give dawah/evangelise, it is about 'saying just the right thing to convince the other person, and see them convert'.

I don't think it is!
It is just about sharing your faith and telling or showing people how you live your faith.

Peace
Heya glo :)

well Muslim's want the best for everyone, just telling people about our faith and not encourage them to follow is like 'well i dont mind if u go to hell, just thought i tell u about my path to go jannah'

the prophets do more than just talk, part of dawah, and even teaching is to persuade and convince, not only just beat around the bush :D

take care all the best :D

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 01:54 AM
ps: suppose u had a child who doesnt know what fire feels like, so he decides to jump in there, would you just tell him 'about ur feelings of what fire is like, and hwo harmful it is' without taking the extra step of persuading him and physically stopping him from jumping in if he remains stubborn :?

all the best

glo
12-02-2006, 02:04 AM
ps: suppose u had a child who doesnt know what fire feels like, so he decides to jump in there, would you just tell him 'about ur feelings of what fire is like, and hwo harmful it is' without taking the extra step of persuading him and physically stopping him from jumping in if he remains stubborn :?

all the best
That comparison doesn't quite follow, lol.

Of course it would be your responsibility to prevent a child from coming to harm, but it is not your responsibility to choose somebody else's religion for them:
Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in God hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And God heareth and knoweth all things. (Surah 2 Verse 256)
peace :)

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Heya Glo,

ofcourse we can't impose religions on people :) because whilst their mouth might pretend to agree, their hearts won't if they're not convinced. And Allah doesn't accept a belief that's uttered by mouth but not believed in the heart.

What i am saying is, it's our duty to persuade and convince people about our religion, so that they agree and choose the right path for themselves whole heartedly :)

take care all the best :)

glo
12-02-2006, 02:09 AM
Heya glo :)

well Muslim's want the best for everyone, just telling people about our faith and not encourage them to follow is like 'well i dont mind if u go to hell, just thought i tell u about my path to go jannah'
Actually, i think that's exactly what daway should be!
But that doesn't mean that you do not care about the non-believer. It just means that you cannot make the choice for them. Whether they will open their heart ot the Lord and submit to him, is their decision not yours.

the prophets do more than just talk, part of dawah, and even teaching is to persuade and convince, not only just beat around the bush :D
Of course.
But you are not a prophet, and neither is anybody else walking this earth today.
Some are called to teach and preach - but not everybody has that calling.

Peace :)

glo
12-02-2006, 02:13 AM
What i am saying is, it's our duty to persuade and convince people about our religion, so that they agree and choose the right path for themselves whole heartedly :)
From a Christian perspective I cannot agree with that.
Only God's spirit can convict people. He may use us as instruments in that process, but it is neither our argument (however eloquent and well-presented it may be) nor our action (however humble and reverent) that draws people to God. Only God himself does.

Just my own understanding ...

Peace

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Actually, i think that's exactly what daway should be!
But that doesn't mean that you do not care about the non-believer. It just means that you cannot make the choice for them. Whether they will open their heart ot the Lord and submit to him, is their decision not yours.
Ofcourse it's their decision not ours, no doubt, but put it this way, on day of judgement just imagine the scene where a disbeliever is raging at me for not debating him and putting enough effort to convince him?

It's xactly like the situation where some parents don't force their kids to study and only talk to them about 'the benefits of studying', the kid doesn't giv a stuff, but when his final results come out he's like :raging: that his parents didn't pressure him enough to study. In the short term forcing the kid may have been sour, but in the long term he'll be :statisfie

when it comes to religion, we can't force, but we can persuade and do our best to convince them, rather than merely talking about our beliefs in a non-persuasive manner :)

Of course.
But you are not a prophet, and neither is anybody else walking this earth today.
Some are called to teach and preach - but not everybody has that calling.

Peace :)
Allah told us that he made the prophets humans like us so we can take them as role models and follow them, they make mistakes like we do, and get depressed the way we do, that's why they're the best examples for us to follow and do what htey did :D

take care all the best

snakelegs
12-02-2006, 02:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ismahaan
she seems like quite a good person, a good kafir (if there's such a thing).
rumour has it that they do exist.
;D ;D :giggling: ;D ;D
:hiding:

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 02:19 AM
From a Christian perspective I cannot agree with that.
Only God's spirit can convict people. He may use us as instruments in that process, but it is neither our argument (however eloquent and well-presented it may be) nor our action (however humble and reverent) that draws people to God. Only God himself does.

Just my own understanding ...

Peace
exactly, at the end of the day Allah guide whom he wills. But part of the responsibility he gave us on earth is to enjoin good and forbid evil, and do what's in the best interest of mankind.

Our job is to obey Allah when he tells us to advise and enjoin good, the results are in his hands, not ours :) but we have to do the task in the best form possible, which means we do our best to convince in the best and most persuasive manner possible :D

allt he best!

glo
12-02-2006, 02:23 AM
exactly, at the end of the day Allah guide whom he wills. But part of the responsibility he gave us on earth is to enjoin good and forbid evil, and do what's in the best interest of mankind.

Our job is to obey Allah when he tells us to advise and enjoin good, the results are in his hands, not ours :) but we have to do the task in the best form possible, which means we do our best to convince in the best and most persuasive manner possible :D

allt he best!
I am sure we are agreeing in this matter, lolwhatever ... we are just agreeing ... ermm ... differently! :giggling:

peace :)

Malaikah
12-02-2006, 02:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Then there was this other girl with her who was just talking the most absurd stuff like 'doesn't the Bible say Adam and eve covered just their private parts, i.e. his thing and her things. with leaves' I was like thinking 'Learn your bible aint nowhere say what part of the body adam and eve covered and if they covered it with leaves thats just pictures of artists, and she telling me all this stuf about how religions are all true.

LOL! Either way, they were husband and wife!!! :rollseyes

I cant say I've really given real dawah, but I've had some friends at uni ask me some stuff. Like at the end of ramadan I had in my msn nick "Bye bye Ramadan, see you next year", and one girl asked me later at uni who is Ramadan. ;D So I explained to her, and I've also explained to her about hijab (she thought we wear it cos we are bold! ;D) and about halal food and how we dont drink alcohol.

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 02:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

I cant say I've really given real dawah, but I've had some friends at uni ask me some stuff. Like at the end of ramadan I had in my msn nick "Bye bye Ramadan, see you next year", and one girl asked me later at uni who is Ramadan. ;D So I explained to her, and I've also explained to her about hijab (she thought we wear it cos we are bold! ;D) and about halal food and how we dont drink alcohol.

:lol: the invisible dude

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 02:40 AM
It is possible to pound any size nail into a person's head if you use a heavy enough hammer.

However, to place love of Allah(swt) into a person's heart it is usually best to use the lightest touch possible.

Some people can do that with just a single word in the right tone and others can not, no matter how loud they explain the Beauty of the Qur'an.

We each have different gifts. It is through the proper use of the gifts we have that we can show our genuine love for Allah(swt) and encourage another person to seek the same for themselves.

Umar001
12-02-2006, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

:uuh:

We don't?

I knew that :happy:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.