/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Date For Smoking Ban Set. *BRILLIANT NEWS*

England
12-02-2006, 12:06 AM
It is only a matter of months before England becomes a smoke-free zone, the Government has announced.

Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt has revealed the ban on smoking in public places and workplaces will come into effect on July 1.

She declared: "This is a triumph for public health. Thousands of people's lives will be saved and the health of thousands more protected.

"The scientific and medical evidence is clear - secondhand smoke kills."

Ms Hewitt also launched a Smokefree England campaign to help the country's 3.7 million businesses prepare for the new law.

Nearly 200,000 pubs, bars, restaurants and other leisure outlets will be affected.

The Government has also mooted raising the age at which people can buy cigarettes from 16 to 18.

Details of how the ban will operate are being finalised and will be placed before Parliament shortly.

England is expected to have much the same rules governing smoking in public as Scotland.

Virtually all structures with a roof - even canvas awnings - would be subject to the ban unless half the sides are open to the air.

Similar rules have already been introduced in the Republic of Ireland as well as Scotland.

They are generally regarded to have been a success - although some pubs have reported a downturn in sales.

The ban in Wales starts on April 2.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FBI
12-02-2006, 12:09 AM
:sl:

Stupid suicidle idiots that's all I can say regarding people who smoke.

Pk_#2
12-02-2006, 12:15 AM
oh,

Hmm..

i guess i think differently,

Peace!

England
12-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Smoking makes your breath smell like poo

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
12-02-2006, 12:18 AM
^^ Agreed! :)

poo?

So you actually sniff dem pplz...man ur funny!

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
^^ xactly, and makes ur lungs look like one too.

lolwatever
12-02-2006, 12:22 AM
btw that pic of the beerguy looks soo ugly could u pls take it off if u dont mind :vomit:

Pk_#2
12-02-2006, 12:23 AM
is it me, or does he look like a elf :oS sowi

no offence :|

England
12-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Here's an advert recently shown on tv about smoking. It's so true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRC8PtITWg

England
12-02-2006, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
is it me, or does he look like a elf :oS sowi

no offence :|
Offence? lol it isn't me :shade: I'm good looking

Helena
12-02-2006, 12:31 AM
good news..heard soo far.......hope it takes place soon inshallah...

da guy wid da beer....his eyebrows looks weird.....^o) ...dnt u think....

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 12:32 AM
A little slower than us here in the states. The Age for buying cigarettes has been 21 here for about 10 years if not more. Smoking in public has been outlawed in nearly every state and smoking in stores, restaurants, night clubs etc is illegal nearly everyplace in the US.

England
12-02-2006, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
A little slower than us here in the states. The Age for buying cigarettes has been 21 here for about 10 years if not more. Smoking in public has been outlawed in nearly every state and smoking in stores, restaurants, night clubs etc is illegal nearly everyplace in the US.

Nu'uh. I've been to the States and I know that's false. I kept out of a store because it stunk of cigarette smoke. The shop keepers were chain smokers.

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 12:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Nu'uh. I've been to the States and I know that's false. I kept out of a store because it stunk of cigarette smoke. The shop keepers were chain smokers.
If they were smoking it was in violation of the law. Here in Texas and every State I have visited in the past 5 years it was heavily enforced.

England
12-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Then in New York and Florida it obviously is violated and they need to crack down on law breaking because people were violating it with no fear of getting caught so perhaps they're too soft on the law over there.

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 01:01 AM
Then in New York and Florida it obviously is violated and they need to crack down on law breaking because people were violating it with no fear of getting caught so perhaps they're too soft on the law over there.
New York especially in NYC is an area that is not well known for following laws. although upstate New York is normaly very law abiding. Florida is usually very conservative about most issues and normally quite law abiding except during the spring break when they get invaded by young college students and the police just sort of give up and concentrate only on major crimes. Here in Texas you light up in a public store and you will get a hefty fine and probably some jail time.

Abdul Fattah
12-02-2006, 01:03 AM
I used to be a smoker for about 9 years. A pack of gauloises a day. I tried quiting many times but always failed. then when I reverted to Islam I really wanted to quit, and it was easy then. Anyway I voted no, because I think it's hypocrite. Either ban the smokes altoghether or leave people free choice, but you can't have both. but as we all know the taxes on the tobacco industry is way to big of an income for the government, not to mention the tobacco lobby.

England
12-02-2006, 01:06 AM
No-one is allowed to smoke in stores here now.. it's always been like that, even in football stadiums. What has happened is that smoking will be banned in ALL public places. There will be no 'non-smoking area' in restaurants, pubs and clubs. Basically the only place you'll ever be allowed to smoke is outside as there will be no exceptions.

Brilliant.

Hisbul_Aziz
12-02-2006, 01:09 AM
no isnt it 18

England
12-02-2006, 01:12 AM
I still don't quite believe that the US already have these laws. I read some comments to the article of this ban and a few Americans have said 'good idea...' Ireland was the first nation to do it. Canada followed and now us.

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 01:18 AM
I should add I was a very heavy smoker for over 50 years. At my heaviest peak I was smoking 3 packs of Pall Mall non-filters per day. Before anybody asks, yes it took a tremendous toll on my health. But, that is not why I quit last year. I quit soon after I reverted. Not immediatly as I thought smoking was not haram as I knew many Saudis that were chain smokers. It was after a few months I learned it was haram.

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalid_Shariff
no isnt it 18
Nope raised to 21 in most states a few states may still be 18 but I do not know of any. I know I have an 18 year old Grand- nephew in Connecticut complaining about it being 21

Pygoscelis
12-02-2006, 01:35 AM
We recently had new laws come into force here in the Canadian province of Ontario as well. You used to be allowed to smoke in special smoking sections of restaurants. That is now gone.

They structured it in such away to beat most work-arounds too. They attached it to labour law and made it so it is illegal to allow smoking in any workplace. So anywhere that somebody works, you can't smoke.

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 01:48 AM
I just did some quick google checking. Although the anti-Smoking laws here started in the 1980's they still are not evenly applied in all States. It seems our Weatern States have the toughest laws.

CONCLUSIONS--No-smoking laws are more widespread than previously appreciated, especially at the local level, reflecting a rapid pace of city government action in the 1980s. Nonetheless, comprehensive laws, which are most likely to provide meaningful protection from environmental tobacco smoke exposure, remain uncommon and represent a major gap in smoking control policy. Laws are most needed in smaller and non-Western cities and in states that produce tobacco and have a higher proportion of smokers.
Source:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 02:00 AM
I did make an error about the smoking age. It is 18 in most states and it is 18 here in Texas. It is just the preference of the limited stores I go to that do not sell Tobacco products to anyone under 21 here.

Hisbul_Aziz
12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Nope raised to 21 in most states a few states may still be 18 but I do not know of any. I know I have an 18 year old Grand- nephew in Connecticut complaining about it being 21
up in Maine its still 18 no changes yet

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalid_Shariff
up in Maine its still 18 no changes yet
LOL that explains why my grand nephew keeps visiting friends in Maine. Actually we have relatives up in Crystal, Maine.

Hisbul_Aziz
12-02-2006, 02:34 AM
whoa thats like real up north it must be freazing there i live in maine which is more near newhampshire

Woodrow
12-02-2006, 02:47 AM
Now you see why when I returned to the States I headed South.

I did some more Checking Scotland currently has the worlds strictest non-smoking laws and is does enforce them rigidly. With England joining in this will pretty well end Public smoking in the British Isles.

I will say England will most likely be much more effective at enfocing the anti-smoking laws than we do here in the States. But, I do not forsee nor would want any elimination of individual State Rights.

Keltoi
12-02-2006, 04:35 AM
It is a difficult question for me. As a conservative, I don't like the idea of the government, federal or state, telling me what vices I can or cannot have. That being said, smoking in public places, meaning restaurants, shopping malls, etc should probably be banned. As long as these new laws don't interfere with what people do in the privacy of their own homes I would probably support it. I voted no immediately as a visceral reaction to the thought of government regulating vice.

Musaafirah
12-02-2006, 12:20 PM
YAY! Smokings being banned woohoo! ..
I hope this is a lesson for all my matyes who smoke...^o)
:w:

chacha_jalebi
12-02-2006, 12:51 PM
smokin is a waste of time & money :p u end up lookin lik ur constipated 24/7 so why do it:D

does this ban apply to smokers on d streets

Pk_#2
12-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Smokers On The Sreet suck!...BIG TIME

Loadsa people get ill via passive smoking, jeez!

imaad_udeen
12-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Sounds like fascism to me.

England
12-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Why does this keep popping up without anyone posting?

*noor
12-22-2006, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hisbul_Aziz
no isnt it 18
thats what it is in new york, i thought it was 18 nationwide :? , maybe not.

Muhammad
12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Greetings,

Why does this keep popping up without anyone posting?
It happens when anyone votes in the poll.

Kittygyal
12-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Here's an advert recently shown on tv about smoking. It's so true
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRC8PtITWg
Greetings,

dude that is funny lol, i've seen that before on Telli && oh yeah that dude smells his self && he is drinking :omg:

Take care
Jodie

Pygoscelis
12-24-2006, 03:30 PM
I only smoke if you set me on fire

*rimshot*

*groan*

Omari
01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
im trying to quitt :(

syilla
01-21-2008, 02:15 AM
In mecca you're not allowed to smoke too...or the haram police will come and screaming at you :D

truemuslim
01-21-2008, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omari
im trying to quitt :(
WooooooooWWWW brother aintu 16??...:eek::eek:

:cry:what is happening to the ummah??:cry:

MartyrX
01-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I have no problem if you want to smoke, but do it in private away from me. I'm so glad in my town we have a smoking ban in public places during normal business hours.

aamirsaab
01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
woah old thread. Like pre-historic old!
And we all know what happened to the dinosaurs, don't we?!

(Answer: they became extinct)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.