PDA

View Full Version : Turkish For Beginners

Pages : [1] 2

dostpost
12-02-2006, 12:15 PM
there are good links for whom wants to learn basic Turkish:

http://www.manastro.co.uk/members/turkey/turkish.htm
http://ingilish.com/beginner-turkish.htm
http://static.unilang.org/resources/...turkish_en.pdf (nice book)

Lets start from the nice book:

Introduction
Turkish is the national language of Turkey, and is also spoken by minority groups in Bulgaria, Greece, Cyprus,
and other countries. It is the most important member of the Turkic group of languages which form a branch of
the Altaic family. There are about 70 million speakers.
Turkish was originally written in the Arabic script which, though poorly suited to the language, had been in use
since the conversion of the Turks to Islam. In 1928 President Ataturk decreed the introduction of a slightly
modified version of the Roman alphabet, consisting of twenty-one consonants and eight vowels. In Turkish, the
letters q, w, and x are absent, while the letter c is pronounced like the English j (e.g., cep-pocket), j like the
French j (jale-dew), ç is pronounced ch (çiçek-flower).
The English words "caviar", "yogurt", and "shish kebab" are of Turkish origin. The word "tulip" comes from a
Turkish word for turban, because its flower was thought to resemble a turban. The word "meander" comes from
the ancient name of the Menderes River of western Turkey, which was noted for its winding course.
Turkish is spoken/used in the following countries: Bulgaria, Cyprus (Republic of), Greece, Macedonia, and
Turkey.
Language Family
Family: Altaic
Subgroup: Turkic
Branch: Southwestern (Oghuz)
(from www.worldlanguage.com)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dostpost
12-02-2006, 12:17 PM
PART ONE - THE BASICS
Lesson 1: To Be
Welcome to the Turkish course here at UniLang. We want to help you learn foreign languages and we hope this
little course can help you. These courses in part one are intended for absolute beginners who need a little
assistance with starting to learn some basics. This is not a complete course. When we've showed you the most
important basics we'll let go you and then you can explore our grammar reference all by yourself.
We'll start by teaching you how to introduce yourself in Turkish. Take a look at the following Turkish sentence
and it's English translation. All Turkish text will be written in blue and the English translation in green.
"Ben Ahmet'im."
"I am Ahmet"

Turkish sentence structure is different from English's. "ben" means "I", but we can't see an equivalent word of
"am" in Turkish. Instead of it, we see a suffix "-im" after Ahmet. "-im" is the conjugational suffix of verb "to be"
for the first, singular person "ben". When you introduce yourself with your name, it's optional to use this suffix.
You can say only "Ben Ahmet".
(Ben) Ahmet'im. I am Ahmet.
(Sen) Ahmet'sin. You are Ahmet.
(O) Ahmet'dir. He is Ahmet.
(O) Ayşe'dir. She is Ayşe.
(O) (bir) kedidir. It is a cat.
(Biz) Ahmet ve Ayşe'yiz. We are Ahmet and Ayşe.
(Siz) Ahmet ve Ayşe'siniz. You are Ahmet and Ayşe.
(Onlar) Ahmet ve Ayşe'dirler. They are Ahmet and Ayşe.
NOTES:
• Turkish has no gender.
• kedi = the cat
• bir = a/an, one
• There is no article in Turkish like the/der,die,das/ el, la...
• Don't forget apostrophes between proper nouns and suffixes.
• Suffix "-im" changes according to vowel harmony.
Ben Ahmet'im Ben Hasan'ım Ben Gül'üm Ben Uğur'um
Ben -(y)im -(y)ım -(y)um -(y)üm
Sen -sin -sın -sun -sün
O -dir -dır -dur -dür
Biz -(y)iz -(y)ız -(y)uz -(y)üz
Siz -siniz -sınız -sunuz -sünüz
Onlar -dirler -dırlar -dürler -durlar
VOCABULARY
We'll ask you to study a number of words in each lesson.
BABA FATHER
ANNE, ANA MOTHER
BÜYÜKANNE, NİNE GRANDMOTHER
BÜYÜKBABA, DEDE GRANDFATHER
DOKTOR THE DOCTOR
KEDİ THE CAT
BİR A/AN, ONE
VE AND

to be continued (devam edecek)

Mawaddah
12-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Cool I love Turkish language :thumbs_up

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-02-2006, 11:23 PM
merhaba LOL ma mate taught me dt

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Merhaba, Nasilsin?
I know that lol.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
wot da 2nd bit mean? lol

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Means "How are you." lol

Sonra görü$ürüz=See you later =D

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-02-2006, 11:59 PM
oo das propa funky ! :D

Grace Seeker
12-03-2006, 01:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Means "How are you." lol
iyiyim = I'm fine.

Sonra görü$ürüz=See you later =D
Peki. Güle, güle. = Alright. Bye, bye.

(I could use "güle, güle", only because Tayyaba was the one leaving. If I was leaving, I would have just said, "Hoşçakal", short for Hoşça kalin = good-bye.)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-03-2006, 01:20 AM
lol welcome aboard grace! :)

Umm Safiya
12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
:sl:

I can say canim.. :D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Whats that mean?
When u say somethin, translate please, thanx :)

Grace Seeker
12-03-2006, 01:29 AM
canim = my beloved (though not only used in romantic situations, two best friends -- dostlar -- might use "can" on occassion)

Real Turkish speakers, please correct me. I don't want to teach improperly.

dostpost
12-03-2006, 07:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
canim = my beloved (though not only used in romantic situations, two best friends -- dostlar -- might use "can" on occassion)

Real Turkish speakers, please correct me. I don't want to teach improperly.
yes you are right. "canim" means my love, my sweet. couples , lovers (asiklar) can say this his/her partner. but two best friend (dostlar) should not say, if they are not gays or lesbians :D :D
also mothers say "canim" her kids. and fathers, uncles can say this to kids.

"canim benim" has same meaning but more lovely . i say "canim benim" my girlfriend.

-------------
i love you = seni seviyorum

you= sen

i love= seviyorum.

so there is a letter " i " has a meaning direction of the verb, what about is the verb. for example:

annemi seviyorum
i like my mother

annem= my mother
annem - i = what about the verb (like-love), who/what is effected of verb

the "i" tag can change also -u

okulumu seviyorum= i like my school.

okulum= my school

okulum -u = what i like ?

to be continued.

Grace Seeker
12-03-2006, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mustklc
yes you are right. "canim" means my love, my sweet. couples , lovers (asiklar) can say this his/her partner. but two best friend (dostlar) should not say, if they are not gays or lesbians :D :D
also mothers say "canim" her kids. and fathers, uncles can say this to kids.

"canim benim" has same meaning but more lovely . i say "canim benim" my girlfriend.
Well, there are two reasons that I thought that you could say "canim" between good friends.

1) My dictionary gives the definition for "can" = "soul", "life", etc., but not "lover" so that when you refer to a person as "canim" you would be saying that they are "my soul", "my life" and thus a very important person in one's life, but not necessarily one's lover, so not restricted to romantic relationships. This same dictionary give the definition of "can dostu" = "dear friend".

2) But the primary reason is that my Turkish-speaking daughter would refer to her family and best girlfriends as "canim", though she gave no hint that she was lesbian. Or are you suggesting that she was trying to tell me something? :) Maybe it is like so many things, girls are allowed by culture to be more expressive of their feelings than men are? I don't know, what do you think? I know I have some female friends that are like sisters to me that I am comfortable referencing as "canim", while I would not do so with even my very best male friends. (Oh, and btw, some on here have thought that I was a sister. I am not. I am a brother. That might make a difference how your read that last paragraph.)

dostpost
12-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, there are two reasons that I thought that you could say "canim" between good friends.

1) My dictionary gives the definition for "can" = "soul", "life", etc., but not "lover" so that when you refer to a person as "canim" you would be saying that they are "my soul", "my life" and thus a very important person in one's life, but not necessarily one's lover, so not restricted to romantic relationships. This same dictionary give the definition of "can dostu" = "dear friend".

2) But the primary reason is that my Turkish-speaking daughter would refer to her family and best girlfriends as "canim", though she gave no hint that she was lesbian. Or are you suggesting that she was trying to tell me something? :) Maybe it is like so many things, girls are allowed by culture to be more expressive of their feelings than men are? I don't know, what do you think? I know I have some female friends that are like sisters to me that I am comfortable referencing as "canim", while I would not do so with even my very best male friends. (Oh, and btw, some on here have thought that I was a sister. I am not. I am a brother. That might make a difference how your read that last paragraph.)

yes, yes yes.. i have made a mistake a huge mistake. i am a man, a male, so i thougt differently. okey i should clear it:

For male person : if male person is older than the other person, older can say "canim", it does not matter if younger boy or girl is. i am a teacher and sometimes i say "canim" to my students. if i were a father, i could say "canim" my son or daughter , it does not matter what his/her age is.

For female person:Female person can say "canim" her girlfriend , so you are right. Also she can say "canim " her mother, her sister, her brother, her father and her boyfriend.

Did i explain clearly? "canim" has same meaning "my sweet."

So your daughter is normal, dont be afraid.imsad .

just i only tried to make a joke , but now i have seen it is not a good joke. so i am sorry.:offended:

M2A^AKIB^
12-03-2006, 03:04 PM
is turkish spoken anywhere but Turkey?

Grace Seeker
12-03-2006, 03:29 PM
just i only tried to make a joke , but now i have seen it is not a good joke. so i am sorry.:offended:
Problemi yok.

Your joke was fine. I wasn't offended, and was also trying to interject humor when I asked if maybe my daughter was trying to tell me something -- that's why I put the smiley there. :)

So, we are good. And thank-you for your very thorough explanation.

abdil han
12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ya Mustafa
is turkish spoken anywhere but Turkey?
salam aleykum brother,,

actually turkish is spoken in the whole middle asia after turkey,,(in kazakhistan,uzbekhistan,azerbaijan,kirghisisthan,t urkmanistan etc..) but we can not understand eachother so easily..the dialects are really different..

but we understand azeris totaly,and turkmans half,,but not kazhaks and kirghis...and they understand eachother completely....strange right:rollseyes

beside,,before mustafa kemal,we used to use persian alphabet,not arabic.be cause arabic doesnt has''ç''(ch)ü and p letters..

salam n dua'a..

M2A^AKIB^
12-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Jazakallah Khair ^^^

dostpost
12-04-2006, 03:19 PM
There are a lot of people who speak Turkish (Turkey Turkish) in the world specially in europe. Over than 20 million Turkish people are living in countires in Europe . but they have many problems.Turkish people are not allowed to speak their own language (Turkish) and live their religion (islam). specially in greece there is a cruelty to Turkish people. sometimes greece people burn Turkish mosques and kill Turkish babys. This cruelty is showed only in our media and news. Europe's media hide this cruelty.

there is a saying in Turkish:

A dog does not bite another dog.

Al-Zaara
12-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Başkasına fenalık eden kendine etmiş olur. (from wiki quote ;D)

Benim adim Al-Zaara.
Istiyorum Türqe öğrenmek (?).

lol My parents speak Turkish and I spoke it when I was much younger, now it's all forgotten. :(
Insha'Allah, I will learn it again.

:w:

abdil han
12-06-2006, 03:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara

Benim adim Al-Zaara.

lol My parents speak Turkish and I spoke it when I was much younger, now it's all forgotten. :(

a.salam sister,
inshaAllah you can learn it again,and if ur parents still speak turkish,it wouldnt be a problem i think...inshaAllah...

terve,,
mita kuulu?? :)

sağlıcakla kalasın
wassalam

Al-Zaara
12-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Hahaha, you made me laugh!!
First time someone spoke Finnish here! :happy:
You know Finnish? :?

Todella hyvin, kiitos. Entäs miten sulle kuulu?:happy:
(Very good, thank you. And how are you doing?)

Yes, I don't think learning Turkish is going to be so hard, as I do understand a lot of words, but not whole sentences just yet. :)

Teshekyr! :D

abdil han
12-06-2006, 03:58 PM
kiitos hyvin sister:)
i dont know finnish very well,actually i forgot it:D
i worked 2 years with finnish people and then began to learn it,but i gave it up,coz there are nt so many finnish people in the world:)just 5.5 millions,

inshaAllah you can learn turkish soon again:)
wassalam

north_malaysian
12-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Wow!!! Thanks for this thread...

I only know Merhaba, gule-gule and seni seviyorum...

Ben North Malezyaim... <---- is it right?:rollseyes
(I am North Malaysian)

Grace Seeker
12-07-2006, 04:43 AM

Benim adim Al-Zaara.

Al-Zaara, I am not correcting you, as much as seeing if I understand the following point of grammar. I probably know less than 100 words of Turkish, but I think that Al-Zaara's sentence needs to be placed in a different order:

Turkce ogrenmek istiyorum. = I am wanting to learn Turkish.
Am I correct?
(I am sorry, I don't have Turkish characters on this computer.)
The subject comes first and the verb last in the sentence. And in this sentence the subject "I" is implied in the verb "istiyorum" so it does not need to be stated.

With such a short quiz I am afraid I have either an A or an F, no middle ground for a B or a C.

Can someone translate this that she quoted?
Başkasına fenalık eden kendine etmiş olur.

Al-Zaara
12-07-2006, 12:33 PM

We'll wait for the correction of my sentence. But I do think you're right, it sounds right in my ears. :happy:

Translation of that wiki quote I posted previously:

Literal translation: He who does evil to another, has done it to himself.

dostpost
12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Wow!!! Thanks for this thread...

I only know Merhaba, gule-gule and seni seviyorum...

Ben North Malezyaim... <---- is it right?:rollseyes
(I am North Malaysian)
yes , you are right only "li" is missed:D . and "north "means "kuzey"

Ben Kuzey Malezyaliyim.

Malezya = Malaysian

Malezyali = a person who lived or born in Malaysian.

Malezyali - y - im = y is a special tag because two " i " can not be together in Turkish.

there are some letters can not be together:
a, e , i ,I, u , ü , o

when a tag starts with this letters and the word finishes with this letters, they joins with a special tag (in example: y).
y,s and n are special tags which joins words and tags.

north_malaysian
12-08-2006, 06:33 AM
yes , you are right only "li" is missed:D . and "north "means "kuzey"

Ben Kuzey Malezyaliyim.

Malezya = Malaysian

Malezyali = a person who lived or born in Malaysian.

Malezyali - y - im = y is a special tag because two " i " can not be together in Turkish.

there are some letters can not be together:
a, e , i ,I, u , ü , o

when a tag starts with this letters and the word finishes with this letters, they joins with a special tag (in example: y).
y,s and n are special tags which joins words and tags.

OK... Ben Kuzey Malezyaliyim

What's the meaning "Unuttun beni zalim"?

dostpost
12-08-2006, 03:12 PM
OK... Ben Kuzey Malezyaliyim

What's the meaning "Unuttun beni zalim"?
you can say only: "Kuzey Malezyaliyim" . "Ben" is not necessary.

there was a song "unuttun beni zalim".

it means, "cruel, you have forgetten me."

i think,"cruel " is darling of a man in this song. so this is a sadly song :D

zalim= cruel

unut= forget

unut - tu - n : a good example for the Turkish special tag sytems. :D

"tu" or "du" means past time, the time before today. past simple tense or present perfect tense :giggling:

" n " : an action which is made by you, you made.

unuttun= you have forgetten.

what a nice language is Turkish! A sentence, which is three word in English, is only one word.

there is an online dictionary for turkish to english , english to turkish translations.

http://www.seslisozluk.com/

and you can listen pronunciation also.

good luck

north_malaysian
12-11-2006, 02:49 AM
there was a song "unuttun beni zalim".
Yes... sung by Muazzez Ersoy.... I do listen to Turkish music, but only limited songs from Muazzez Ersoy, Mustafa Sandal, Sibel Can... it's hard to get Turkish songs here in Malaysia...

Grace Seeker
12-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Yes... sung by Muazzez Ersoy.... I do listen to Turkish music, but only limited songs from Muazzez Ersoy, Mustafa Sandal, Sibel Can... it's hard to get Turkish songs here in Malaysia...

belki biraz yardim: türkçe radyo istasyonlaru

north_malaysian
12-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Tessekur.... (is it right?):rollseyes

Grace Seeker
12-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Tessekur.... (is it right?):rollseyes
Evet. teşekk&#252;r=thanks

And here is another: Same stations, different webpage to find them

My turkish isn't that good, so I would ask one of the real Turks on here to be sure, but I think you can do music downloads from this site. Maybe they would have some other recommendations. As you learn Turkish, you can go to www.mynet.com or www.superonline.com and track down almost anything Turkish.

north_malaysian
12-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Evet. teşekkür=thanks

And here is another: Same stations, different webpage to find them

My turkish isn't that good, so I would ask one of the real Turks on here to be sure, but I think you can do music downloads from this site. Maybe they would have some other recommendations. As you learn Turkish, you can go to www.mynet.com or www.superonline.com and track down almost anything Turkish.
What is "Evet"?

How can you type those "U" with two dots, and "s" with a comma?

Grace Seeker
12-12-2006, 08:39 AM
What is "Evet"?

How can you type those "U" with two dots, and "s" with a comma?
Evet = yes.

There are a couple of ways to get Turkish characters.
The best is to download the Turkish characters that are problaby already in your computer so that you can use them on your keyboard. If you use Microsoft Windows, it is built right into the program's software. Just go to your control panel and your help files will direct you through the process. You can also download Turkish characters off the net if you computer doesn't already have them.

But, the computer I'm actually on right now doesn't have them. And rather than reconfiguring the system I just go to the website listed above -- http://www.seslisozluk.com/ -- type in the word I want, and it then comes back and asks me if I really meant the same word but with Turkish characters and then I copy and paste.

There are also Turkish characters too. You'll notice that there is an i without a dot and an i with a dot. For instance, Istanbul when written in Turkish has a dot above even the capital i. And my daughter's name, Asli, is spelled without a dot on the i. The i without a dot sounds more like "uh".

north_malaysian
12-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Evet = yes.

There are a couple of ways to get Turkish characters.
The best is to download the Turkish characters that are problaby already in your computer so that you can use them on your keyboard. If you use Microsoft Windows, it is built right into the program's software. Just go to your control panel and your help files will direct you through the process. You can also download Turkish characters off the net if you computer doesn't already have them.

But, the computer I'm actually on right now doesn't have them. And rather than reconfiguring the system I just go to the website listed above -- http://www.seslisozluk.com/ -- type in the word I want, and it then comes back and asks me if I really meant the same word but with Turkish characters and then I copy and paste.

There are also Turkish characters too. You'll notice that there is an i without a dot and an i with a dot. For instance, Istanbul when written in Turkish has a dot above even the capital i. And my daughter's name, Asli, is spelled without a dot on the i. The i without a dot sounds more like "uh".

I've bought Turkish dictionary, so I knew the pronounciation of those "I"s, also the "C"s and the "S"

:D

Grace Seeker
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I've bought Turkish dictionary, so I knew the pronounciation of those "I"s, also the "C"s and the "S"

:D

More power to you if you can pronounce them right. I have no problem with most of the letters, but the undoted "ı" is a different story. Aslı lived with us for a year and she says that I never did quite pronounce her name right, imsad

... but my wife did! :D

north_malaysian
12-13-2006, 05:00 AM
More power to you if you can pronounce them right. I have no problem with most of the letters, but the undoted "ı" is a different story. Aslı lived with us for a year and she says that I never did quite pronounce her name right, imsad

... but my wife did! :D
In Malay language, we used "E" for the "I"(without dot). So in Malay spelling it'll be "Asle"

Grace Seeker
12-13-2006, 06:00 AM
In Malay language, we used "E" for the "I"(without dot). So in Malay spelling it'll be "Asle"
But then what do you do with the "e" in words like evet? And what about words that come as two different words depending on if you were spellig it with an "ı" or an "e"?

north_malaysian
12-13-2006, 06:51 AM
But then what do you do with the "e" in words like evet? And what about words that come as two different words depending on if you were spellig it with an "ı" or an "e"?
that's a problem for non native Malay speakers as we used both as "E"...:giggling:

For example, "kebenaran" ("truth"), in turkish the sound could be spelt as "kIbInaran"

or "membebel" ("babbling"), it would be like "mImbebel"

Grace Seeker
12-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Ben çok şaşırtdim. Türkçe ögrenmek kâfi. Malayca dahi istemeyorum.

north_malaysian
12-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Ben çok şaşırtdim. Türkçe ögrenmek kâfi. Malayca dahi istemeyorum.
what's dat?

dostpost
12-14-2006, 03:18 PM
what's dat?
"Ben &#231;ok şaşırtdim. T&#252;rk&#231;e &#246;grenmek k&#226;fi. Malayca dahi istemeyorum."

it means;
"I am really amazed. Learning Turkish is enough. I dont want to learn Malay language too. "

yes there are different characters like:
i without dot,
c , s with dot
u, o with two dots.

these are resembling some characters in german. for example:

c with dot: tsch in german. tschuss :D
s with dot: sch in german. (der?) schule
o with dot: oe .
u with dot: ue.

for turkish music downloading mp3 is not legal, but i understand you that you cant find original albums everywhere. so you can try a P2P software like "limewire".

i have found some funny emotions of turkish people. we generally use them . you can find this words at below:

>Before beginning something INSALLAH
>
>Just at beginning BISMILLAH
>
>When surprised ALLAH ALLAH
>
>When gave up EYVALLAH
>
>To go to the end YA ALLAH
>
>Promise VALLAH BILLAH
>
>Self confidence EVEL ALLAH
>
>Fully motivated ALIMALLAH
>
>Bored FESUPHANALLAH
>
>More bored HASBINALLAH
>
>Give up ILLALLAH
>
>Great inspiration and motivation ALLAH, ALLAH, ALLAH
>
>Succeeded MASALLAH
>
>At failure HAY ALLAH

i am working hard these days , so if i can not reply this topic, please dont be angry with me.

:offended:

Grace Seeker
12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
"Ben çok şaşırtdim. Türkçe ögrenmek kâfi. Malayca dahi istemeyorum."

it means;
"I am really amazed. Learning Turkish is enough. I dont want to learn Malay language too. "
Woo-Hoo!! I did that without my Turkish-English dictionary in hand. I was afraid I had probably totally messed it up.:D

However, it looks like I did get one word wrong: şaşırtdim.imsad
I had wanted to say "I'm confused" more than "I'm amazed". So, how would one say, "I very confused."?:?
Because, as you can see, I'm still confused, at least a little bit.

north_malaysian
12-15-2006, 07:52 AM
"Ben çok şaşırtdim. Türkçe ögrenmek kâfi. Malayca dahi istemeyorum."

it means;

yes there are different characters like:
i without dot,
c , s with dot
u, o with two dots.

these are resembling some characters in german. for example:

c with dot: tsch in german. tschuss :D
s with dot: sch in german. (der?) schule
o with dot: oe .
u with dot: ue.

for turkish music downloading mp3 is not legal, but i understand you that you cant find original albums everywhere. so you can try a P2P software like "limewire".

i have found some funny emotions of turkish people. we generally use them . you can find this words at below:

>Before beginning something INSALLAH
>
>Just at beginning BISMILLAH
>
>When surprised ALLAH ALLAH
>
>When gave up EYVALLAH
>
>To go to the end YA ALLAH
>
>Promise VALLAH BILLAH
>
>Self confidence EVEL ALLAH
>
>Fully motivated ALIMALLAH
>
>Bored FESUPHANALLAH
>
>More bored HASBINALLAH
>
>Give up ILLALLAH
>
>Great inspiration and motivation ALLAH, ALLAH, ALLAH
>
>Succeeded MASALLAH
>
>At failure HAY ALLAH

i am working hard these days , so if i can not reply this topic, please dont be angry with me.

:offended:
What is - "ALLAH iSMARLADlK"

dostpost
12-15-2006, 05:18 PM
" Allaha ismarladik " has a meaning like "good bye, see you again"

Grace Seeker
01-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I know that "Nasilsin?" means "How are you?", but how does one say, "How have you been?"?

In English there is a distinction between the two as the second is asking how you are over an extended period of time, not just at the moment. Is there a way to make such a distinction in Turkish?

north_malaysian
01-09-2007, 05:10 AM
" Allaha ismarladik " has a meaning like "good bye, see you again"
But it contains the word "Allah", thus literally what does it mean?

abdil han
01-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I know that "Nasilsin?" means "How are you?", but how does one say, "How have you been?"?

In English there is a distinction between the two as the second is asking how you are over an extended period of time, not just at the moment. Is there a way to make such a distinction in Turkish?
actually there is not such a distinction in turkish,,''nasılsın'' covers that time too...that easy:)

abdil han
01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
But it contains the word "Allah", thus literally what does it mean?
bro,its hard to translate it completely,but Allaha ısmanrladık means,''i left ur health,safety(n such things) to Allah'' or something like this...

vesselam

Grace Seeker
01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdil han
Originally Posted by Grace Seeker

actually there is not such a distinction in turkish,,''nasılsın'' covers that time too...that easy:)
aaarrgghhh!! -- that's English for "Rats!"

I thought that was the case. So, help me through this sticky wicket.

If talking to someone, and you want to ask about more than just how they are feeling at the moment, but you want to find out how the last couple of weeks have been for that person since you last talked to them, how does one ask that question?

I know another way to ask the question is Ne haber? (or even Naber?) but I find that usually gets the same response as Nasilsin? In American slang one could ask "What's up with you?", "How life?", or even "How's trix?". Are there any equivalents in Turkish? (Because I know that surely this must be something that people all over the world run into when trying to learn about how friends lives are proceeding.)

dostpost
01-09-2007, 07:24 PM

If talking to someone, and you want to ask about more than just how they are feeling at the moment, but you want to find out how the last couple of weeks have been for that person since you last talked to them, how does one ask that question?

I know another way to ask the question is Ne haber? (or even Naber?) but I find that usually gets the same response as Nasilsin? In American slang one could ask "What's up with you?", "How life?", or even "How's trix?". Are there any equivalents in Turkish? (Because I know that surely this must be something that people all over the world run into when trying to learn about how friends lives are proceeding.)

"Naber" is informal like "whatsup" in english.
"nasilsin" is more formal and "nasilsiniz" is the most formal
. (is "most formal" word right? or should be "formallest"? :-[ )

when you are asking about the past time, usually you say like below.

for the places:

for example; your child has just come from school, and you say: "Okul nasildi?" it means actually:"how was the school?", but it has a meaning that the time which was passed in school.

"Okul nasil gecti?" has same meaning but less formal.
"İş nasıldı?"= how was work = How have you been in school?
"sinav nasil gecti?= "how was your exam?"= sinav nasildi?

abdil han
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM

i see,,

in this situation,you can say ''nasıl gidiyor? ''(how its going? )
and by this question,you can get the answer which u r looking for...:)

peace

axess1907
01-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Hey dude, are you turkish? I am turkish, too :D

Naira
01-13-2007, 08:02 PM
thank you brother

Grace Seeker
01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
OK. I've stumbled across this phrase, and I can only halfway make sense of it: "&#246;zo bize geldğinde alem yapalım"

I don't know if there are perhaps spelling mistkaes. If it is because it might be in slang or computereze. And also is just simply beyond my present knowledge of Turkish. Can anybody help me?

kudusyolu
01-13-2007, 11:02 PM
Let's Meet in Free QUDS

www.KudusYolu.com

dostpost
01-14-2007, 10:30 AM
OK. I've stumbled across this phrase, and I can only halfway make sense of it: "özo bize geldğinde alem yapalım"

I don't know if there are perhaps spelling mistkaes. If it is because it might be in slang or computereze. And also is just simply beyond my present knowledge of Turkish. Can anybody help me?
what does "özo" mean? is this a name?

Grace Seeker
01-14-2007, 03:28 PM
what does "&#246;zo" mean? is this a name?
If so, I have never heard of it.

I thought maybe it was a typo. Maybe it is supposed to be "&#246;zu"?

That's one of the reasons I can only make partial sense of the phrase: "&#246;zo bize geldğinde alem yapalım".

abdil han
01-14-2007, 03:58 PM
OK. I've stumbled across this phrase, and I can only halfway make sense of it: "&#246;zo bize geldğinde alem yapalım"

hi ,

that means; &#246;zo,lets have fun when you come to us..
but ''alem yapmak'' is mostly being used as ''drinking alcohol' or such stufs..

n it must be 'geldiğinde''

also,''&#246;zo'' must be a shortened way of a name,for instance;&#246;zkan,&#246;zg&#252;r,&#246;zer...

take care ,,
peace

kudusyolu
01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
For Free QUDS and the world without ISRAEL

www.KudusYolu.com

cihad
02-01-2007, 10:03 AM
merhaba
nasilsiniz?
ben iyi

i cant really write but i can speak a little
-my username-its turkish

jannah1
08-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I would love to learn turkish. I went twice, once in winter and the other is summer and InshaAllah this time I wanted to go in spring:laugh: o Btw is there a difference between modern turkish language and ottoman language.

dostpost
08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cihad
merhaba
nasilsiniz?
ben iyi

i cant really write but i can speak a little
-my username-its turkish

merhaba,
tesekür ederim (thank you)
ben de iyiyim (i am fine also)

yes your user name is Turkish but also arabish as i know. cihad means "fight for islam". i think "cihad" is not a good name for girls :-[

in turkish are there some resources for names.
- old turkish names: like "Attilla" , you know :statisfie and Mete, Cengiz ...
- arabish names: fatma,emine (amina), muhammed (sav) also, osman (ottoman), mirac, ramazan (ramadan),
- the names of objects in nature: Gul (rose), Aslan (lion), çınar (Platanus :D )
yagmur (rain), damla (water blob)

my name is mustafa and is the name of muhammed mustafa

jannah1, turkish language and ottoman language is different. the ottoman empire was huge empire so there were many different languages , firstly arabish, turkish and persian. the ottoman's official alphabet was arabish but language was turkish.

in 1928, Ataturk (the chief of the modern Turkey) made severel reforms. one of reforms was changing the alphabet. so we are using now latin alphbet like most of the world.

*babk*
08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
merhaba...
It is a really good topic. If you want, I will help you too.

dostpost
08-14-2007, 09:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *babk*
merhaba...
It is a really good topic. If you want, I will help you too.

it would be great. i work and study master so i havent much time. :-[

can you track this topic and answer the questions? and if you want , you can teach Turkish also :)

thank you very much

yigiter187
08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
selam dostlar :)

jannah1
08-14-2007, 09:31 AM
tesekkurler - thank u
Allah reza olsun - May Allah be pleased with you
Allah emanet olsun - May Allah protect you
cok saol - thank u very much

Someone taught me this "dinglibozuk-stupid head" and someone told me its not nice, its that true:mad:

Grace Seeker
08-14-2007, 09:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by yigiter187
selam dostlar :)

Merhaba.

Ama, türkce anlamadım. Sadece biraz türkceden biliyorum.

yigiter187
08-14-2007, 09:38 AM
not biraz you know turkish well :)

dostpost
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jannah1

Someone taught me this "dinglibozuk-stupid head" and someone told me its not nice, its that true:mad:
yes it is not a nice word :embarrass

dostpost
08-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Merhaba.

selam dostlar = hi friends !

Grace Seeker
08-14-2007, 09:49 AM
selam dostlar = hi friends !
Evet. Onu bildim. Bir gün benden okumak için kitap istedi.

jannah1
08-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Merhaba.

ok im trying to translate this. I cant understand turkish but I only know alittle bit of turkish. correct me:( :mmokay:

yigiter187
08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
ok im trying to translate this. I cant understand turkish but I only know alittle bit of turkish. correct me:( :mmokay:
ye u r great...u now our language well:thumbs_up

jannah1
08-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Evet. Onu bildim. Bir gün benden, okumak için, kitap istedi.
translating this. "Yes. I knew that. One day, for reading purposes, he/she wanted a book from me". correct me:hmm:

jannah1
08-14-2007, 01:36 PM
ye u r great...u now our language well:thumbs_up

:hiding: emm not really.:muddlehea I can understand if the turks speak slowly to me but if its too quick Ive to catch up bits and pieces.

Anladimme - Do u understand me

Gule Gule Korlan - (If I received something new stuff) May it be good use to you.

Allah kavurtursun- May Allah reunite u and yr family

Canim benim - My dearest dear:happy:

I love the turks, they are the most cleanest and caring ppl MashaAllah. Ive learnt alot from them:happy:

*babk*
08-14-2007, 02:11 PM
it would be great. i work and study master so i havent much time. :-[

can you track this topic and answer the questions? and if you want , you can teach Turkish also :)

thank you very much
Certainly. I will be happy if I can teach a few words. Lets start with these:

kendine iyi bak: take care of you
ülkemi seviyorum: I love my country
iyi akşamlar: good nights
günaydın: good morning
yeni bir dil öğreniyorum: I am learning a new language

*babk*
08-14-2007, 02:16 PM
translating this. "Yes. I knew that. One day, for reading purposes, he/she wanted a book from me". correct me:hmm:
yes you are right.I think you can learn Turkish in a short time::bravo:

Grace Seeker
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Jannahcığım, I salute you. Your ability to learn Turkish far exceeds my own.

Yeni bir dil &#246;ğreniyorsun. Harika!

smile
08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Is it just me or do I notice a lot more Turkish ppl coming on LI

yigiter187
08-14-2007, 08:09 PM
gardaşlar canınızı yiyim :D

dostpost
08-14-2007, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by yigiter87
gardaşlar canınızı yiyim :D
are you hungry? :raging:

:D :D :D :D

yigiter187
08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
are you hungry? :raging:

:D :D :D :D
yes quite much:D

dont now how 2 translate this..please do it for me:D lol

*babk*
08-15-2007, 09:35 AM

sorry, but I think there isn't such a translation ;D

Grace Seeker
08-15-2007, 02:38 PM

"yes quite much" isn't the best way to say something in English. It would be better to say, "Yes, very much."

Now, my Turkish isn't that great, but sometimes translating the thought is better than translating the words. I think saying, "Evet, &#231;ok &#231;ok." or "Cok hayli." would probably work in many cases.

Or if it is a response to the question about being hungry. You can say, "Evet, a&#231;ım." -- "Yes, I am hungry."

To say, "I am very hungry," you would simply say, "&#199;ok acım."

evet = yes
&#231;ok = very, much, lots of, too many
hayli = quite, many, much
a&#231; = hungry, verbs take on dıfferent endings depending of who is doing the action
A&#231;ım. = I am hungry.
A&#231; mısın? = Are you hungry?

If all else faıls pat your stomach and poınt to your mouth. People will either get that you are hungry and feed you, or think you ate something that upset your stomach and be so kind as to not give you anything else. :confused:

abdil han
08-15-2007, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=Grace Seeker;809651
To say, "I am very hungry," you would simply say, "&#199;ok acım."

evet = yes
&#231;ok = very, much, lots of, too many
hayli = quite, many, much
a&#231; = hungry, verbs take on dıfferent endings depending of who is doing the action
A&#231;ım. = I am hungry.
A&#231; mısın? = Are you hungry?

[/QUOTE]

hi grace seeker,,

you did it well indeed,
i see that ur turkish is improving rapidly...:)

but those brothers didnt mean it,
he said'' gardaşlar canınızı yiyeyim'' in the former post,,

we use it to show how eager we are ,when we want somethng from somebody(or somethng like that:D its hard to explain)

simply means'' brothers,let me eat ur souls'' :D
but it doesnt mean it ofcourse...ahh,,,,hard indeed:embarrass

anyway...
peace on you....

Grace Seeker
08-15-2007, 09:48 PM
hi grace seeker,,

you did it well indeed,
i see that ur turkish is improving rapidly...:)

but those brothers didnt mean it,
he said'' gardaşlar canınızı yiyeyim'' in the formest post,,

we use it to show how eager we are ,when we want somethng from somebody(or somethng like that:D its hard to explain)

simply means'' brothers,let me eat ur souls'' :D
but it doesnt mean it ofcourse...ahh,,,,hard indeed:embarrass

anyway...
peace on you....
Ahhhhh.
(That translates to "Ajjjjjj" in Spanish; I'm not sure how you say it in Turkish. :D )

Anyway, that's cool. I didn't know that. I love learning idomatic phrases. Knowing when and how to use such idioms is what it really takes to say that one knows a language.

Here's an idea. If you're willing. I would love to learn some more idioms. Maybe, as you go through your day, you might make a mental note of some of them and then share the day's most colorful idiom with those of us here are would like to learn Turkish as Turks speak it?

jannah1
08-16-2007, 12:27 AM
Jannahcığım, I salute you. Your ability to learn Turkish far exceeds my own.

Yeni bir dil öğreniyorsun. Harika!

:-[ :) you're so modest. not really I'm struggling. Im surrounded by turks so Ive to learn whether I like it or not and the elderly especially they love talking to me so Ive to enjoy their company by conversing with them in turkish:statisfie

You're learning new language. Harika is beautiful. I love that word.

acimesh - isnt this im very hungry???:-\

Ok what is the differences with all this thank yous.

saol, tesekkur ederim, tesekurler, tesekkur.

to add few that I know

dokumma-dont touch
yakma sana- dont
konushmak - dont talk
bak sana - look there
dingle - listen
lutfen - please

Animals -

cat - kitti
dog - kupek
bird - kushlare
fish - balek
pls correct me

Grace Seeker
08-16-2007, 02:29 AM
:-[ :) you're so modest. not really I'm struggling. Im surrounded by turks so Ive to learn whether I like it or not and the elderly especially they love talking to me so Ive to enjoy their company by conversing with them in turkish:statisfie

You're learning new language. Harika is beautiful. I love that word.

acimesh - isnt this im very hungry???:-\

Ok what is the differences with all this thank yous.

saol, tesekkur ederim, tesekurler, tesekkur.

to add few that I know

dokumma-dont touch
yakma sana- dont
konushmak - dont talk
bak sana - look there
dingle - listen
lutfen - please

Animals -

cat - kitti
dog - kupek
bird - kushlare
fish - balek
pls correct me

I'm not sure you got all of those correct.

You say that you're surrounded by Turks, where are you living? Are you learning basically by conversation? Do you have dictionary or a grammar to help you learn some? What's your native language?

Sorry, lots of questions and not one of them in Turkish. I told you I really don't know much.

One thing I do know is that "cat" in Turkish is "kedi"; which, of course, sounds a lot like Kitty, a term used a lot in English to refer to a cat. That's why I named my cat Keddi, sort of a play on words and on the ear.

Also "köpek" = dog and "köpeği" = the dog. When you see the letter "ğ" it is called a "soft-g", almost silent.

Turkish will often substitute the "t" for "d", "p" for "b", and "ğ" for "k" at the end of a word.

Though "değil" means "not", negatives aren't usually formed by adding the word "not" to the sentence. Rather, similar to how English will attaching the contraction "n't" to the end of a verb, Turkish puts the syllable "ma", "mi", "mu" or "mı" in the middle of the verb to negate it. Thus:
anladım = I understand.
anlamadim = I don't understand.
biliyorum = I know.
bilmiyorum = I don't know.

Here is part of a verse from the Bible:
Kucaklaşmanın zamanı var,
kucaklaşmamanın zamanı var.
If I tell you that the first part means "there is a time to embrace", can you figure out the meaning of the second part?

abdil han
08-16-2007, 05:43 AM
Ahhhhh.
(That translates to "Ajjjjjj" in Spanish; I'm not sure how you say it in Turkish. :D )

Anyway, that's cool. I didn't know that. I love learning idomatic phrases. Knowing when and how to use such idioms is what it really takes to say that one knows a language.

Here's an idea. If you're willing. I would love to learn some more idioms. Maybe, as you go through your day, you might make a mental note of some of them and then share the day's most colorful idiom with those of us here are would like to learn Turkish as Turks speak it?
hey Grace seker,,morning(its morning here:) )

its gonna be in my mind n i ll note them here in the evening inshaAllah,,
it would be fun:)

but now i should go to work...
ok,,take care n stay in health...

peace!

north_malaysian
08-16-2007, 06:55 AM
I've seen that many Arabic names have Turkish version :-

Muhammad - Mehmet
Ahmad - Ahmet

My real name is Khayr, is there any Turkish version of it?

jannah1
08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure you got all of those correct.

You say that you're surrounded by Turks, where are you living? Are you learning basically by conversation? Do you have dictionary or a grammar to help you learn some? What's your native language?

Sorry, lots of questions and not one of them in Turkish. I told you I really don't know much.

One thing I do know is that "cat" in Turkish is "kedi"; which, of course, sounds a lot like Kitty, a term used a lot in English to refer to a cat. That's why I named my cat Keddi, sort of a play on words and on the ear.

Also "köpek" = dog and "köpeği" = the dog. When you see the letter "ğ" it is called a "soft-g", almost silent.

Turkish will often substitute the "t" for "d", "p" for "b", and "ğ" for "k" at the end of a word.

Though "değil" means "not", negatives aren't usually formed by adding the word "not" to the sentence. Rather, similar to how English will attaching the contraction "n't" to the end of a verb, Turkish puts the syllable "ma", "mi", "mu" or "mı" in the middle of the verb to negate it. Thus:
anladım = I understand.
anlamadim = I don't understand.
biliyorum = I know.
bilmiyorum = I don't know.

Here is part of a verse from the Bible:If I tell you that the first part means "there is a time to embrace", can you figure out the meaning of the second part?
Thanks for that. U're better at the turkish keyboard (how you do it, sorry I dont know anything about computers:laugh: ):enough!: :raging: Anyway I lived in the Southern Hemisphere:laugh: .I'm a non-turk, the community Im living in are full of arabs, turks, bosnians, lebos, etc. but majority my family friends are turkish;D

How do you learn turkish so well. I dont look into dictionary. I used to learn it from a friend but unfortunately she left to turkey for good:scared: :cry: she taught me for 3 mths only all the alphabets and basic conversation. Anyway I like to listen and copy the turks and thats how I pick up their language. So you can say I can speak broken turkish;D :giggling:

As for the verse of the bible, Ive no clue, sorry:?

jannah1
08-16-2007, 09:29 AM

Muhammad - Mehmet
Ahmad - Ahmet

No Alhamdullillah there is no turkish version of khayr :happy: which means goodness, nice name compared to other Malay names which I found them very funny using such long glamourous names which have no meaning at all:grumbling .

More turkish versions

Mustafa-Mucteba
Khadijah - Hatice pronounce as Hatije
Halimah - Halime
Mahmud - Mahmut
Jalaluddin - Calaleddin

thats all I could think of:confused:

abdil han
08-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Muhammad - Mehmet
Ahmad - Ahmet

salam bro,

actually mehmed is nt the exact version of muhammad,we also have name Muhammed,
n i ve never heard khayr as a turkish name...sorry:)

but my name is abdil,another version of abdul,,but my parents didnt give a name of Allah at the end of my name,,so,maybe they wanted me to choose:)
i would prefer ''Hay'' if i can...

ok,,,,
wassalam...

north_malaysian
08-17-2007, 04:05 AM
salam bro,

actually mehmed is nt the exact version of muhammad,we also have name Muhammed,
n i ve never heard khayr as a turkish name...sorry:)
but ... is "heir" means "good" in Turkish?

north_malaysian
08-17-2007, 04:07 AM
, nice name compared to other Malay names which I found them very funny using such long glamourous names which have no meaning at all:grumbling .
and long name too.....

my neighbour's daughter's name is Nur Yasmin Adriana Putri and they just call her Nana.

jannah1
08-17-2007, 04:19 AM
but ... is "heir" means "good" in Turkish?
Thats correct sometimes Ive heard the turks will say kheir olsun- its good.Im not sure if they mixed the arabic with turkish:hmm:

north_malaysian
08-17-2007, 04:21 AM
Thats correct sometimes Ive heard the turks will say kheir olsun- its good.Im not sure if they mixed the arabic with turkish:hmm:
well... all Muslim languages have Arabic words...

there are Turkish words in Arabic too...

I've heard an Arabic singer singing "Teshekkurat Efendim"

abdil han
08-17-2007, 06:03 AM
well... all Muslim languages have Arabic words...

there are Turkish words in Arabic too...

I've heard an Arabic singer singing "Teshekkurat Efendim"
thats true bro,
we say khayr '' very often,as the same meaning in arabic,but we dont use khayr as a name,,thats the point...

by the way''teshekk&#252;rler efendim'' is a turkish/arabic mixture...
teshekk&#252;r is turkish but comes from''shukran'' in arabic,,,but efendim is turkish:)

nearly 20&#37; of the vocabularies are the same with arabic n turkish...

vesselam

north_malaysian
08-17-2007, 07:09 AM
thats true bro,
we say khayr '' very often,as the same meaning in arabic,but we dont use khayr as a name,,thats the point...
Lots of Malaysians have "khayr" in their names... I have another two cousins with "khayr".....

when my mum yelling at me she would say "Ya Khayr!!!!" :hiding:

Grace Seeker
08-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Lots of Malaysians have "khayr" in their names... I have another two cousins with "khayr".....

when my mum yelling at me she would say "Ya Khayr!!!!" :hiding:
You shouldn't do things that cause your mother to have to yell at you. :D

abdil han
08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
salam all!

today's idiom; ''haticeye değil,neticeye bak''

translation; ''look at the result,not to Hatice( a common name for female)

my collegue said this to me today after he threw some water on my face,i got angry n he said that ''its too hot man,so i helped you to be cooled...

weird right!

vesselam:)

Grace Seeker
08-18-2007, 10:55 PM
salam all!

today's idiom; ''haticeye değil,neticeye bak''

translation; ''look at the result,not to Hatice( a common name for female)

my collegue said this to me today after he threw some water on my face,i got angry n he said that ''its too hot man,so i helped you to be cooled...

weird right!

Wierd behavior, but I like the idiom. Tesekkurlar.

How about "vesselam"?
I can see that it is derived from Selam, but I am not familiar with the word.

abdil han
08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Wierd behavior, but I like the idiom. Tesekkurlar.

How about "vesselam"?
I can see that it is derived from Selam, but I am not familiar with the word.
rica ederim:)
i ll add more inshaAllah...

grace seeker,as u said its derived from selam,a kind of an ending with a selam,same as ''and salam again''...

north_malaysian
08-20-2007, 07:10 AM
.... değil
"degil" means "stubborn" in Malay.... :giggling:

Mawaddah
08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
^ Is the 'G' in the turkish Degil pronounced though? :? I thought it was just some sort of elongation :confused:

Grace Seeker
08-20-2007, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
^ Is the 'G' in the turkish Degil pronounced though? :? I thought it was just some sort of elongation :confused:
No, it's not pronounced.
And if you have a Turkish keyboard, you would write it with a 'Ğ' -- "değil".

Of course, it is only the soft-G, "ğ", that isn't pronounced. The "G" in words like "g&#252;le g&#252;le" (said when waving "bye" to someone who is leaving, not when you yourself are leaving) is spoken just like a hard-G in English.

Thanks for that. U're better at the turkish keyboard (how you do it, sorry I dont know anything about computers:laugh:)
I was able to download a program off of the internet that allows me to switch back and forth from English characters to characters of other languages. I've got Spanish (&#209;, &#241;, &#191;, ?, &#161;, !, &#225;, &#233;, &#237;, &#243;, &#250;) and Turkish (&#199;, &#231;, Ğ, ğ, İ, i, I, ı, &#214;, &#246;, Ş, ş, &#220;, &#252;) loaded. I just have to remember where they are on the keyboard (or often find them by trial and error). You may find that you already have this built into your computer, as I think nearly all new computers have it included in their windows programming.

north_malaysian
08-21-2007, 01:30 AM

I was able to download a program off of the internet that allows me to switch back and forth from English characters to characters of other languages. I've got Spanish (Ñ, ñ, ¿, ?, ¡, !, á, é, í, ó, ú) and Turkish (Ç, ç, Ğ, ğ, İ, i, I, ı, Ö, ö, Ş, ş, Ü, ü) loaded. I just have to remember where they are on the keyboard (or often find them by trial and error). You may find that you already have this built into your computer, as I think nearly all new computers have it included in their windows programming.
Where did you download it.... can I get Arabic and Hebrew characters too?

abdil han
08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Where did you download it.... can I get Arabic and Hebrew characters too?
salam bro,
grace seeker is busy guess,,,
i downloaded arabic letters from a turkish page,
let me check if there is an eng 1,,,,

take care bro

wassalam

north_malaysian
08-30-2007, 03:20 AM
salam bro,
grace seeker is busy guess,,,
i downloaded arabic letters from a turkish page,
let me check if there is an eng 1,,,,

take care bro

wassalam
tes,ekkurler efandim.... :okay:

jannah1
08-30-2007, 07:40 AM
tes,ekkurler efandim.... :okay:
its tessekkur ederim.

Effendim is my lord:) unless you called him by that title:?

north_malaysian
09-03-2007, 02:42 AM
its tessekkur ederim.

Effendim is my lord:) unless you called him by that title:?
i thought "effendim" means "sir".... there are lots of Malaysians having the word "Effendi" in their names...

abdil han
09-03-2007, 05:51 AM
i thought "effendim" means "sir".... there are lots of Malaysians having the word "Effendi" in their names...
no worry ,we use it in both meanings:)
wassalam

jannah1
09-03-2007, 08:59 AM
Yep both ways.

Also its very courteous in turkish culture when someone called yr name and you answer "effendim" (yes sir, yes my lord).From what I understand ottoman turkish women often shows respect to their husbands by calling effendim instead of their real names. Ive seen few women hear call their husbands by that title.

eg yr dad call you Khair and you answer "effendim babacem" pronounced as baba -jem. Yes my dear baba.

Degilmi Br AbdulHan:?

abdil han
09-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Yep both ways.

Also its very courteous in turkish culture when someone called yr name and you answer "effendim" (yes sir, yes my lord).From what I understand ottoman turkish women often shows respect to their husbands by calling effendim instead of their real names. Ive seen few women hear call their husbands by that title.

eg yr dad call you Khair and you answer "effendim babacem" pronounced as baba -jem. Yes my dear baba.

Degilmi Br AbdulHan:?
salam sister:)

you did it well,
we use ''efendim'' very often like''yes sir,yes my lord,or instead of 'hallo'on phones,,or when somebody calls us ,,

wifes use it to show their respect to their husbands,,,

thats all i remember now...:)
(btw sister r u turk? )
wassalam

north_malaysian
09-06-2007, 06:49 AM
what "NASIL SEVMiS,TiM" means?

abdil han
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
what "NASIL SEVMiS,TiM" means?
it means;

''how i'd loved ''

i think its a lyric of a song,isnt it bro?

north_malaysian
09-07-2007, 08:40 AM
it means;

''how i'd loved ''

i think its a lyric of a song,isnt it bro?
yupp, it's a title of a song by Ibrahim Erkal... love it... but dont know the meaning!!!

jannah1
09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
salam sister:)

(btw sister r u turk? )
wassalam
No Im not a turk :smile:

north_malaysian
09-10-2007, 01:36 AM
No Im not a turk :smile:
Tania and I just found out that jannah1 is a martian.:okay:

jannah1
09-10-2007, 05:06 AM
:sl: :zip: :smile: :coolalien :coolalien :coolious: :D

ebrar
09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
i'm turkish:)
i can help you:)

ebrar
09-12-2007, 06:36 PM
millet t&#252;rk yokmu burada ya.. ya da t&#252;rk&#231;e bilen ben ingilizce tam olarak bilmiyorum:(

jannah1
09-13-2007, 01:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ebrar
millet türk yokmu burada ya.. ya da türkçe bilen ben ingilizce tam olarak bilmiyorum:(

care to translate and welcome to IB:D

sevgi
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
millet türk yokmu burada ya.. ya da türkçe bilen ben ingilizce tam olarak bilmiyorum:(
turkce bilen var...ama...bu thread disinda ingilizce kullanmak zorundayiz...

sevgi
09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
jannah...

how do u know turkish..?

abdil han
09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Tania and I just found out that jannah1 is a martian.:okay:
salam bro..
what does ''martian'' mean???:confused:

btw ramadan mubarek all sis nbros...:)

yigiter187
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
salam bro..

martian?

marslı ya bildiğimiz..:D ;D

yigiter187
09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
here ı m turk..ıf u dont now english well then bana özel mesaj gönderebilirsin...seee u..

north_malaysian
09-14-2007, 03:40 AM
salam bro..

Martian - People who live on Mars (Aliens):nervous:

To all Turkish people here and Non Turkish who love Turkish Language and Culture,

Ramadan Kerim !!!

abdil han
09-14-2007, 06:06 AM
martian?

marslı ya bildiğimiz..:D ;D
eyvallah kardeşim:)

valla benim onlarla pek bi teşri mesaim olmadı daha önce,ondan tanıyamadım:D

hayırlı ramazanlar....

sevgi
09-14-2007, 07:37 AM

hayırlı ramazanlar....
lol:D

Sheba
09-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Learning Turkish on a religious forum..cool!! Good for me I'm british living in Turkey! Crash course on Turkish would be fantastic for me!

sevgi
09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sheba
Learning Turkish on a religious forum..cool!! Good for me I'm british living in Turkey! Crash course on Turkish would be fantastic for me!
where in turkey do u live?

yigiter187
09-14-2007, 11:02 AM

hayırlı ramazanlar....
thanks..senin de mübarek....:D

jannah1
09-15-2007, 06:23 AM

With all due respect srs and bros, the non-turks here would love to learn your language and culture. We would apprec if you could translate it into english at the same time so that we could all benefit fm it. Its beyond islamic adaab to talk to each other while the other one just watchingimsad which happens to me all the time here and they think its cool.imsad

anlardim me: do u understand?

towbah towbah - repent repent

cok aib - how embarassing

ramadan mubarak olsun - May you have a blessed ramadan:D

Sheba
09-15-2007, 07:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
where in turkey do u live?
South West...Dalaman

sevgi
09-15-2007, 08:00 AM
South West...Dalaman
thats a pretty place to live...

sevgi
09-15-2007, 08:02 AM

With all due respect srs and bros, the non-turks here would love to learn your language and culture. We would apprec if you could translate it into english at the same time so that we could all benefit fm it. Its beyond islamic adaab to talk to each other while the other one just watchingimsad which happens to me all the time here and they think its cool.imsad

anlardim me: do u understand?

towbah towbah - repent repent

cok aib - how embarassing

ramadan mubarak olsun - May you have a blessed ramadan:D
no probs...

ur spelling is quite off sis...

anladin mi...
tovbe tovbe
cok ayip
ramazan mubarek olsun...

i obviously dnt have the turkish letters on my keyboard...but you are close enough...

peace.

abdil han
09-15-2007, 08:36 PM

We would apprec if you could translate it into english at the same time so that we could all benefit fm it. Its beyond islamic adaab to talk to each other while the other one just watching imsad which happens to me all the time here and they think its cool.

salam,

so sorry sister...
my fault...:X

i just said; i never met martians,thats why i couldnt recognize them...

ramadan mubarek inshaAllah:)

wassalam

Sheba
09-16-2007, 10:46 AM
thats a pretty place to live...
Yes it is. How about you?

sevgi
09-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Yes it is. How about you?
i actually dnt live in turkey myself...i am turkish but i was born and live in sydney, Australia...also a pretty place to live..

peace.

Sheba
09-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Never visited Australia...too many snakes for my liking!! Although have seen a few in Turkey too.

sevgi
09-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Never visited Australia...too many snakes for my liking!! Although have seen a few in Turkey too.
lol...

there arent many snakes here...maybe out in the bushes or central australia in the desert...i definetely havent seen any...i actually have a phobia of them..i cant even look at a cartoon snake.

but yeah.i dnt no wher u go that idea from...steve irwin?

jannah1
09-17-2007, 04:24 AM
no probs...

ur spelling is quite off sis...

anladin mi...
tovbe tovbe
cok ayip
ramazan mubarek olsun...

i obviously dnt have the turkish letters on my keyboard...but you are close enough...

peace.
;D

tesekkurler -thank u

I dont hv a turkish keyboard either so soft g is still typed as g and i without the dot I typed it as i:giggling: coz I know u turks know what Im on about;D

anyway, love to learn more:thumbs_up

how do u say

thanks for letting me know

thanks for helping me

come over for a cuppa

AbdilHan no probs, :skeleton:

sevgi
09-17-2007, 05:36 AM
;D

tesekkurler -thank u

I dont hv a turkish keyboard either so soft g is still typed as g and i without the dot I typed it as i:giggling: coz I know u turks know what Im on about;D

anyway, love to learn more:thumbs_up

how do u say

thanks for letting me know

thanks for helping me

come over for a cuppa

AbdilHan no probs, :skeleton:
the guys from turkey could probably translate these a lot better than me..they know all the fancy sort-cuts and stuff...
im sure yigiter or abdil han will come in and rescue the situation..

bt im gna write what i know and how i would say it..:

thanks for letting me know: bildirdigin icin saol
thanks for helping me: yardimin icin tesekkur ederim
come over for a cuppa: (im indicating tea): bir bardak cay(tea) icmeye gel...

peace...

Al-Zaara
09-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Selam aleykum,

MashaAllah nice thread. Ben seveyim bu threada. :p Haha. My Turkish has gone down the hill. :-\

Well I remember a song or lullaby whatever it's called, my father singed one to me when i was still a child... He took my right hand and began gently making a circle on my palm with his index finger and he sang:

&#231;evrin &#231;evrin, &#231;evrengjik, (he made a circle)
Ortasinda bunargjik (here he stopped the circle)
Bu tutmish (touched my little finger), bu &#231;esmish (the next finger),
Bu pishermish (next finger), bu yemish (last touched the index finger)
Bu demish (then shaked my thumb as if it was angry):
Nerde bene par&#231;ene? Nerde bene par&#231;ene?

I must have made looooots of mistakes and I know that, so if someone can correct me and tell me if they know this song (I know its meaning)? I'd be very happy. :)

sevgi
09-17-2007, 06:13 AM
Selam aleykum,

MashaAllah nice thread. Ben seveyim bu threada. :p Haha. My Turkish has gone down the hill. :-\

Well I remember a song or lullaby whatever it's called, my father singed one to me when i was still a child... He took my right hand and began gently making a circle on my palm with his index finger and he sang:

çevrin çevrin, çevrengjik, (he made a circle)
Bu tutmish (touched my little finger), bu çesmish (the next finger),
Nerde bene parçene? Nerde bene parçene?

I must have made looooots of mistakes and I know that, so if someone can correct me and tell me if they know this song (I know its meaning)? I'd be very happy. :)
looolllll

again...when yigiter and abdilhan wake up they will help u a lot more than me...

i grew up with "round and round the garden like a teddy bear...one step two step tickle em everywhere..."

i sort of know this...ur interpretation is pretty hard to uncover seeing as i dnt know it...but the brothers will know it and they will translate...

ill do my best...
the first bit is i think something like "round and round the circle"
i have no idea what bunarjik is...but ortasinda means "in the middle"
then he grabbed ur fingers one by one saying "this one held it"
"this one pulled it"
"this one cooked it"
"and this one ate it"
then the last finger was angry and said
"where is my....." i have no idea what parcene is...
lol...

that was fun....ur from bosnia rite sis...i remember...we met earlier and u explained that ur ancestry had something to do with the ottomans...

Al-Zaara
09-17-2007, 06:23 AM
looolllll

again...when yigiter and abdilhan wake up they will help u a lot more than me...

i grew up with "round and round the garden like a teddy bear...one step two step tickle em everywhere..."

i sort of know this...ur interpretation is pretty hard to uncover seeing as i dnt know it...but the brothers will know it and they will translate...

ill do my best...
the first bit is i think something like "round and round the circle"
i have no idea what bunarjik is...but ortasinda means "in the middle"
then he grabbed ur fingers one by one saying "this one held it"
"this one pulled it"
"this one cooked it"
"and this one ate it"
then the last finger was angry and said
"where is my....." i have no idea what parcene is...
lol...

that was fun....ur from bosnia rite sis...i remember...we met earlier and u explained that ur ancestry had something to do with the ottomans...
loll I'm from Kosovo. :D Yes, my ancestary has to do with the Ottomans, mashaAllah... My grandfather's father came from Istanbul but as far as I know my roots go to Bursa...

Anyways... :D

Let me try to explain the song bit where it wasn't clear: Bunargjik is meant to be a well, and in the middle of the well there's suppoused to be a fish. :p Naaa, it continues... The fingers are like "persons" what they did with the fish lool... Then that last where is my... bit, part. Bit of the fish. :p

The thumb gets angry and that's why my dad shaked it, lol I laughed so hard as a kid... ;D

InshaAllah the brothers can help too. But jazakAllah khair for trying sis, you did a very good job actually! :D

yigiter187
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Selam aleykum,

çevrin çevrin, çevrengjik, (he made a circle)
Bu tutmish (touched my little finger), bu çesmish (the next finger),
Nerde bene parçene? Nerde bene parçene?

it is a game for children in turkish...

by showing the palm of children u say :
şuraya bir kuş konmuş(here a bird landed here)
bu tutmuş(this one caught -by showing thumb)
bu kesmiş(tihs one cut the bird-by showing the next finger)
bu pişirmiş(this one cooked-by showing the next)
bu yemiş(this one ate it-by showing the next finger)
bu da eve gelmiş(and for the last finger u say -and this one came to home and said-where is my piece,where is my piece and then u tivkle the baby immediately... n then it laughs so much ...

Al-Zaara
09-17-2007, 04:33 PM

bu da eve gelmiş(and for the last finger u say -and this one came to home and said-where is my piece,where is my piece and then u tivkle the baby immediately... n then it laughs so much ...
Dad played it a bit differently with me... Aww, I miss the old times.

JazakAllah khair brother! :D

abdil han
09-17-2007, 08:01 PM

salam all my sis n bros,,

wallah i laughed alot::D

thank u all very much indeed...

my big cousin used to made it to me after he ate all my chocolates....:confused:

wasslam:)

yigiter187
09-17-2007, 08:39 PM

my big cousin used to made it to me after he ate all my chocolates....:confused:

a way to lie children huh?:D :D

pity baby..:D

sevgi
09-17-2007, 11:21 PM

lol...

buyuyunce unutursun...:giggling:

Sheba
09-18-2007, 07:43 PM
lol...

there arent many snakes here...maybe out in the bushes or central australia in the desert...i definetely havent seen any...i actually have a phobia of them..i cant even look at a cartoon snake.

but yeah.i dnt no wher u go that idea from...steve irwin?
I seem to attract snakes, even seen one in the streets of San Fransisco
Always imagined snakes everywhere in Australia..apart from the cities!

jannah1
09-20-2007, 02:39 AM

Ok Another child's play which I can remember, pls translate.:D

Mustafa mestek
Arabaya kestek
Imnu yaptek

yigiter187
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

Ok Another child's play which I can remember, pls translate.:D

Mustafa mestek
Arabaya kestek
Imnu yaptek
mustafa mıstık
arabaya kıstık
in mi yaptık;D

abdil han
09-21-2007, 02:50 AM
lol...

buyuyunce unutursun...:giggling:
valla yaş 25 e dayandı daha aklımdan çıkmıyor:D daha da çıkmaz herhal...

drnoor
09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
salams to all,
it s so nice to meet turkish speaking people n such islamic websites.

yigiter187
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by drnoor
salams to all,
it is very normal to find them here..

sevgi
09-24-2007, 01:33 PM
salams to all,
u seem suprised....

why is that???

drnoor
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
dear turkish brothers and sisters,
where do u live in now?in turkey or abroad?

sevgi
09-25-2007, 12:30 AM
as...

depends on who u ask...

i was born and live abroad...i think the other turkish people on this thread reside in turkey...

salams.

yigiter187
09-25-2007, 08:06 PM
ı live in turkey elhamdulillah....

aLiTTLeTiMe
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
in istanbul.thank you my God..

abdil han
09-28-2007, 05:17 PM
me too,,,istanbul..islambul...der saadet,,bab'ali...
alhamdulillah:)

sevgi
09-29-2007, 02:06 PM
so werent we meant to be teachn turkish here

ask away ppl...

we are more than happy to help as far as we possibly can...

dostpost
10-08-2007, 06:18 PM
i am here again. any question??

Grace Seeker
10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
How do you say:

Congratulations on your new job! I'm so happy for you. I hope you like it and that suits you well.

Happy Eid (Şeker Bayrami)!! I trust you experienced a blessed Ramadan, filled with peace and a growing sense of closeness to Allah. I continue to pray God's blessings on you and your family.

sevgi
10-12-2007, 10:11 AM
How do you say:

Congratulations on your new job! I'm so happy for you. I hope you like it and that suits you well.

yeni meslegini tebrik ediyorum! senin adina cok sevindim. umut ederim ki meslegini begenirsin, sana cok yakisti.

Happy Eid (Şeker Bayrami)!! I trust you experienced a blessed Ramadan, filled with peace and a growing sense of closeness to Allah. I continue to pray God's blessings on you and your family.
ramazan (seker) bayraminiz kutlu/mubarek olsun!! umarim cok verimli, huzur dolu bir ramazan gecirmissindir ve Allah'la yakinligin artmistir. Allahin inayetinin senin ve ailenin uzerinde olmasi icin dua etmekteyim.

i will translate blandly off the top of my head...

im gna leave this one for the guys who are more articulate than i am...i could translate...but it wont sound 'jazzy'..so to speak...

btw...seker bayrami is what i used to call ramazan bayrami when i was really young...lol..i like the fact that uve picked it up..

if ur writing to ur daughter (whos name i wont give here) thats sweet:) if she has found a job...(so soon..she just graduated!) i also hope the best for her.

peace grace seeker.

Grace Seeker
10-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Sumeyye, &#231;ok &#231;ok teşekker ederım. Ve sana da ramazan bayraminiz kutlu olsun!!

abdil han
10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
lovely:)

im happy for ur daughter Grace seeker,,
n sister sumeyye did a good job here,,,

well

happy eid for all

herkesin ramazan bayramını kutlar,g&#252;zellikler getirmesini y&#252;ce Allahtan niyaz ederim...

selam ve dua ile...

Grace Seeker
10-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I know that I one time in my life I thought that Muslims never referred to God as God, but only Allah. Now, on this forum at least, I see that I was wrong about that. Many Muslims here seem to use God and Allah interchangeably. I assume, understanding that Allah is just the Arabic word for God and thus in English there is comfort with both the Arabic word that would be used in the mosque and the English word that communicates to non-Arabic speakers.

How is it in Turkey? Do people use Allah and Tanri interchangeably?

Are there other words such as RAB for Lord, or what does RAB mean?

Are there any other ways that Allah might be commonly addressed in Turkish?

Any other words that a Jewish Turk or a Christian Turk might use to speak of God (and in this case I'm not getting theological, so I don't mean Isa), that would be distinct from how a MUslim Turk would refer to God?

dostpost
10-12-2007, 03:42 PM
We use "Allah" for God.
Tanri is an ancient Turkish word. Shamanism was the religion of Turks before Islam. They used "Tanri" as "Sky God"
tanri comes from tengri:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanrı

So you should use now "Allah"

Grace Seeker
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I appreciate your explanation, but ask for further elucidation if you can provide it in the light of the following:

First, in my Kutsal Kitap the word Tanri is used frequently, and would not be referring to any ancient god of Shamanism, but God who is worshipped by Jews and Christians. This is the same word used by many Muslims in English when refering to Allah.

And second, even in the dictionary you referenced, it lists "Allah" in the definition of Tanri:
1. &#199;ok tanrıcılıkta var olduğuna inanılan insan&#252;st&#252; varlıklardan her biri, ilah. Allah.

---------------------------
edit:

I see you edited out the link to www.seslisozluk.com, but the link to the wiki article makes the question even bigger in my mind:
In modern Turkish, the derived word "Tanrı" is used as the generic word for "god", also for the Judeo–Christo–Islamic God, and is often used today by practicing Muslim Turks to refer to God in Turkish as an alternative to the word "Allah",
Is that statement true?

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-12-2007, 03:53 PM
I Know This Has Nothing To Do With Anything But Dont Some Turkish People Speak Kurdish?

dostpost
10-12-2007, 04:18 PM

First, in my Kutsal Kitap the word Tanri is used frequently, and would not be referring to any ancient god of Shamanism, but God who is worshipped by Jews and Christians. This is the same word used by many Muslims in English when refering to Allah.

"Tanri" has a general meaning but i explained about the source of "Tanri" word. Tanri is a turkish word, and used before Islam as God. But now Muslim Turks use "Allah". we dont say "Tanri" . we say "Allah". because God's name is "Allah". my name is mustafa. your name is "Bruce"(example), and God's name is "Allah".

But Jewish Turks or Christian Turks use"Tanri", because they dont want to use "Allah". They think like that: "our God's name is Tanri , theirs (muslims) God's name is Allah". But there is one God. Tanri, Allah, God, Rab, Yaradan (means: creative) have same meaning. But God's name is "Allah". Tanri is a general meaning and used for all religions in Turkey.

ISLAMASWEENEY;

I didnt understand your question fully, sorry.

I am Turk and my girlfriend is Kurdish. So we can live friendly each other. there is no divorce as "Turk -Kurt".

i dont know Kurdish. But my girlfriend knows. i dont should know kurdish, because she know Turkish.

sevgi
10-13-2007, 03:03 AM
I know that I one time in my life I thought that Muslims never referred to God as God, but only Allah. Now, on this forum at least, I see that I was wrong about that. Many Muslims here seem to use God and Allah interchangeably. I assume, understanding that Allah is just the Arabic word for God and thus in English there is comfort with both the Arabic word that would be used in the mosque and the English word that communicates to non-Arabic speakers.

1.How is it in Turkey? Do people use Allah and Tanri interchangeably?

2.Are there other words such as RAB for Lord, or what does RAB mean?

3.Are there any other ways that Allah might be commonly addressed in Turkish?

4.Any other words that a Jewish Turk or a Christian Turk might use to speak of God (and in this case I'm not getting theological, so I don't mean Isa), that would be distinct from how a MUslim Turk would refer to God?
hey grace seeker,

i have taken the liberty of numbering ur questions and answering them respectively.

1. do turks use Allah and Tanri interchangebly? no. regardless of the fact that i do not live in turkey and have only been there twice in my life, i live amongst turks and most of my house mates are from turkey. i knwo for a fcat that there is a great distinction between the two terms. Allah is what one would call God.that is, the montheistic God known to all Abrahamic and rightful faiths. tanri on the other hand, is a less binding term pertaining to the age old history of religious diversity..it doesnt relate to the 'islamic' or monothesitic God.i think one could derive its meaning as being 'deity'. i undertsand that tanri doesnt imply paganism...no...but for turks, it is merely a term for 'something greater' or like 'a' god...

2.Rab is a characteristic or attribute of God. it is not uncommon for turks to call God rab. rab means owner, creator. to begin a prayer saying something like "ya rab" is like saying "oh my creator"...it furthers the connection between the person and God...by using the term rab, they are able to establish the binding connection between themselves and God respectively.sort of like...you created me, you own me and now i pray to u...

3.as you probably have picked up, Allah is known to have 99 attributes or names which muslims in common believe. one may choose to call upon God in any of these ways. so far as general expressions go, Allah is the most common....rab, ilah, allah...these are all terms used for the one almighty God.

4.they would simply adopt the Christian or jewish terminology…which is pretty much the same…as it can be seen, ‘Allah’ and how he is referred to is interlinked with the attributes the religion believes that he possesses. Rab, Allah, ilah, etc are all common factors of the monotheistic God which I have already stated above….many attributes may also be used interchangeably…the only difference is that the attributes muslims believe God has are formally expressed through the Quran etc…the Christian and Jewish Turks would call him by those attributes if they wished, but it wouldn’t be a formal expression…if that makes sense…they would be calling apon him according to the factors which they believe he is high and mighty in. eg, they could say “oh all merciful.” And yes he is merciful…but when muslims say it, it is actually his name…

hope that helps a bit…if I have confused u further, please feel free to ask.:)

peace.

Grace Seeker
10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
hope that helps a bit…if I have confused u further, please feel free to ask.:)

peace.

Yes, your post and Mustkic's second post were both quite helpful. They affirm what I had picked up on before, but I did feel a need to ask. Sometimes one makes an assumption, and only later finds that one was operating under a false assumption. Also, one can read all sorts of things in dictionaries and encyclopedias, and the reality of life as people live it can be yet a completely different thing. So, I am glad for the personal responses that you have both given.

*babk*
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Salaam everybody!
Eid mubarak to you all...
I haven't been online for a long time because of my school. I am here again If you need my help I will try my best. At the same time I need your helps too. My problem is about my english. I can understand what you write wholly but when it comes to write myself it is a disaster. I cant express my ideas/feelings well neither orally nor wriiten. I usually afraid of making mistakes so I prefer not to write/speak in order not to make mistake. Please help me! what can I do to get rid of this situation

dostpost
10-14-2007, 03:58 PM
welcome to our topic *babk* :)

sevgi
10-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Salaam everybody!
Eid mubarak to you all...
I haven't been online for a long time because of my school. I am here again If you need my help I will try my best. At the same time I need your helps too. My problem is about my english. I can understand what you write wholly but when it comes to write myself it is a disaster. I cant express my ideas/feelings well neither orally nor wriiten. I usually afraid of making mistakes so I prefer not to write/speak in order not to make mistake. Please help me! what can I do to get rid of this situation
hosgeldin kardesim...

you touch on something which is totally natural....i believe that everyone struggles with their second language. u are not alone.:)

i personally struggle with my turkish...writing and reading are fine..i struggle with compiling sentences and speaking...i realised that this is because i read, write, see, think and even dream everything in english...when i need to speak turkish, the original thought in my mind is english..my brain functions with english...so i need to find ways to speed up and make my sentence compliation for speaking more 'practical'...because with turkish, my mind is out of its comfort zone...

you have probably realised that even though u are able to type on ur keyboard super fast in turkish..it takes u longer to do it in english..right?

i have been living for the past few years with people from turkey...i teach them english, help them and give them advice...and the main advice is simple and u know u must do it...reading and listening...

u must read and listen to english things...
i believe u can probably find books which are read on cassette and follow while reading...this will help a lot.
if not, u must read on a regular basis...choose a book and read a few pages every night...this takes dicsipline because i know u would much rather like to read or watch other things...
make sure u listen to english 'everyday' speaking...the way it sounds ccoming out of ur teachers mouth, or on the news is very diffrent to usual speaking...i would advise, if u have the financial means, to go to a country where english is common...and work...u dnt even have to study...while working u are FORCED to speak english...

u said that u were affraid of making mistakes so u choose not to speak english or write english...all my frends have the same problem...and i cant force them and they cannot force themselves...it depends on how much u want to learn english...some of them say "derdimi anlatacak kadar ogrendim ya..yeter bana"...but that is silly...derdini anlatana kadar adam akilli biseyler anlatsana...you have the opportunity to learn english and be very good at it...but u let ur emotions get in the way..dont do that! if u dnt make mistakes, how will u fix them??? u must make mistakes, realise that they are wrong and then work towards fixing it.i know many turks who have picked up english and can speak it with almost NO ACCENT!..but they worked hard...

u are capable...u just have to try hard...

gecmis bayraminiz mubarek olsun...

Grace Seeker
10-15-2007, 02:21 AM
*babk*, the other thing you might do besides just the immersion that Sumeyye speaks of, is share with those of us who are native English speakers anything that you have written that you are unsure of, and get some feedback. I know that when my Spanish speaking friends went from telling me how wonderful my Spanish was (simply because I was trying) to actually correcting my mistakes that it was then that I started to really make some improvement.

sevgi
10-15-2007, 06:33 AM
*babk*, the other thing you might do besides just the immersion that Sumeyye speaks of, is share with those of us who are native English speakers anything that you have written that you are unsure of, and get some feedback. I know that when my Spanish speaking friends went from telling me how wonderful my Spanish was (simply because I was trying) to actually correcting my mistakes that it was then that I started to really make some improvement.
precisely...i agree...

it is quite alright for u to ask us any queries or practice writing and we can fix up ur writing for u...

if u are not happy with publicly posting here, u mite like to pm some of us...i am more than happy to..:)

Grace Seeker
10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
it is quite alright for u to ask us any queries or practice writing and we can fix up ur writing for u...
Although, you might be a little careful when it comes to trusting sumeyye's spelling. :p

sevgi
10-16-2007, 12:35 AM
Although, you might be a little careful when it comes to trusting sumeyye's spelling. :p
pish posh!

wise guy are we?!!! i think uve scored urself a punctuational enemy:/

Grace Seeker
10-16-2007, 02:13 AM
pish posh!

wise guy are we?!!! i think uve scored urself a punctuational enemy:/
Que sera sera. :giggling:

sevgi
10-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Que sera sera. :giggling:
perhaps we could perfect ur turkish grace seeker? what do u say???

i dnt know how bt maybe u ask us more and more and we can answer more and more....:)

Grace Seeker
10-27-2007, 08:00 PM
perhaps we could perfect ur turkish grace seeker? what do u say???

i dnt know how bt maybe u ask us more and more and we can answer more and more....:)

Sure. Since Monday is National Republic Day, I might want to send greetings to my family and friends on it. Would that be customary? What type of greeing would one send?

I was thinking something like: Türkciye gunu kutlu olsun!!

Am I close?

abdil han
10-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Sure. Since Monday is National Republic Day, I might want to send greetings to my family and friends on it. Would that be customary? What type of greeing would one send?

I was thinking something like: Türkciye gunu kutlu olsun!!

Am I close?
Hi Grace seeker,
hope u r doing well:)

u r close but we dont use those kidna greetings for this day,,,

u can say;

cumhuriyet bayramın(ız) kutlu olsun,

take care well
peace

Rainbow44
11-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Selamun Aleyk&#252;m

sevgi
11-06-2007, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rainbow44
Selamun Aleyküm
aleykumselam..

hosgeldiniz...

yagmur*sy
11-06-2007, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rainbow44
Selamun Aleyküm
VE Aleykum Selam
Hoşgeldiniz kardeşim

yigiter187
11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
aleykumselam..

hosgeldiniz...
sen de hoşgeldin güzel kardeşim..:D

Rainbow44
11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
hoşbulduk kardeşler.. sağolun.. inşaAllah faydalanacağım g&#252;zel bir site.. teşekk&#252;r ediyorum..

abdil han
12-14-2007, 09:29 PM
s.a.

herkese şimdiden iyi bayramlar kardeşler

Grace Seeker
12-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Kurban bayrami mutlu olson!!!

I hope I said that right?? I was trying to say, "Happy, Kurban Bayram!" Isn't that today?

sevgi
12-22-2007, 04:13 AM
nawww..thats so cute...

thanks mate...happy bayram to u too...

and u said that fine...:)

abdil han
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
assalamu aleykum

sene -i cediyde mubarak inshaAllah,,

yeni yılımız kutlu olsun kardeşler,yarın muharrem 1

Grace Seeker
07-10-2008, 05:01 AM
OK. This is IM-speak in Turkish, so it really has me confused. Can anyone help?

yeni adres almıcam inada bindi daha da inmez

13 dkya çıkıyorum

sevgi
07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
OK. This is IM-speak in Turkish, so it really has me confused. Can anyone help?

yeni adres almıcam inada bindi daha da inmez

13 dkya çıkıyorum
lol..

"im not going to get a new adress, im being stubborn about it and im not giving in..

i'll be getting out in 13mins"

this person, prolly ur daughter, has used like turkish sayings, so its actually funny, but not wen u translate it..

the 'im getting out in 13mins' bit cud be abt IM or about like..out of the house..or something...

tc.

Grace Seeker
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
lol..
this person, prolly ur daughter, has used like turkish sayings, so its actually funny, but not wen u translate it..
Ah, come on, I want to laugh too. Remember I'm trying to learn Turkish, and while it may not be as funny in translation, at least I can begin to learn some more of the idiomatic language.

sevgi
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Ah, come on, I want to laugh too. Remember I'm trying to learn Turkish, and while it may not be as funny in translation, at least I can begin to learn some more of the idiomatic language.
ok ok lol..

wish me luck..lol...this is just my reading of it...

stubbornness is affiliated with the 'goat' symbol..well it is in turkish..

and 'inat' means stubborn...

'binmek' is the act of 'mounting'...

'inada bindi' is an idiom which means "mounted on stubbornness" alluding to the symbol of the goat...

thats normal..but what ur daughter has done is added.."bi dahada inmez" as in.."it will never climb back down"..

it was funny at the time ok..lol..now im like..thats lame..

Güven
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
lol you made it sound sooooo Diffucult and btw may İ ask what "IM" means :X

Grace Seeker
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
lol you made it sound sooooo Diffucult and btw may İ ask what "IM" means :X
IM = Instant Messaging

anatolian
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Grace seeker.Why are you learning Turkish?

Grace Seeker
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Because my daughter is a Turk. When we visit her, I want to be able to converse with people in the language of the country I am in, and especially so with the rest of her family.

anatolian
07-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Because my daughter is a Turk. When we visit her, I want to be able to converse with people in the language of the country I am in, and especially so with the rest of her family.
Your daughter is a turk? And you are not? or do you mean she is married to a turk?

sevgi
07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
Your daughter is a turk? And you are not? or do you mean she is married to a turk?
his daughter is not a biological one..

she studied abroad and while doing so, she stayed with his family..and is just like a daughter to him..

he loves her like a real daughter and we all accept her as his real daughter...

right grace?:P

chacha_jalebi
07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
ooooo

what does anne boori yaa gell meaan!! :D

sevgi
07-11-2008, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
ooooo

what does anne boori yaa gell meaan!! :D
----

thats bad spelling..

"anne buraya gel!"

"mum come here!"

not a tone to be used with mothers:P

chacha_jalebi
07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
lmao..

thats bad spelling..

"anne buraya gel!"

"mum come here!"

not a tone to be used with mothers:P
omg lol,

that explains it :-[ there was a turkish fella around my areaa, name was summin like chardesh, and he for some strange reason would always refuse to be the goalie, so every1 would beat him and he would say anne boori yaa gell lol :-[ thats funny lol

sevgi
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
omg lol,

that explains it :-[ there was a turkish fella around my areaa, name was summin like chardesh, and he for some strange reason would always refuse to be the goalie, so every1 would beat him and he would say anne boori yaa gell lol :-[ thats funny lol
HAHAHA....bro ur hilarious..

i cant stop laughing..

his name was probably "cagdas" pronounced "chaadash"

thats a funny one..next time he calls his mum..call him a "muhallebi cocugu"

haha..i love this..

chacha_jalebi
07-11-2008, 03:56 PM
lol that was years ago, dont even see the guy nemore :(

i dont really know much turkish people apart from the doner kebab shops :D

must say turkish food is scrumpcilcious!!

anatolian
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM

she studied abroad and while doing so, she stayed with his family..and is just like a daughter to him..

oh I see, cool...

north_malaysian
07-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Dolunay FM (Istanbul) and Gozyasi FM (Konya) are religious radio station right?

sevgi
07-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Dolunay FM (Istanbul) and Gozyasi FM (Konya) are religious radio station right?
i wudnt have a clue..i dnt live in turkey..but their names sure do sound religious..

*babk*
07-12-2008, 01:50 PM
salaam everybody!
I am new here. I will do my best if you need any help about Turkish language. And I will also try to limprove my English here with your helps. Please correct me if I do mistakes, will you? :)

sevgi
07-13-2008, 03:53 AM
salaam everybody!
I am new here. I will do my best if you need any help about Turkish language. And I will also try to limprove my English here with your helps. Please correct me if I do mistakes, will you? :)
no worries kardesim..

Grace Seeker
07-13-2008, 12:43 PM

You got it. I've got eight kids. Some are biological offspring, some are foster children, and some are other products of love. But every one of them is real. And as long as Aslı calls me "Dad", even in the presence of her baba, I'm going to claim her as my daughter.

*babk*
07-13-2008, 06:43 PM
I appreciate you Grace, it is a great honour for you to have so many kids. I also want to have foster children when I get my job.

Grace Seeker
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I appreciate you Grace, it is a great honour for you to have so many kids. I also want to have foster children when I get my job.

Where do you live? (Nerede oturiyorun?) Some places the need for foster parents is great enough that providing fostercare can become an occupation in its own right. You might check with the authorities in your community regarding that.

anatolian
07-13-2008, 09:01 PM
oturuyorsun

Grace Seeker
07-14-2008, 03:03 AM
oturuyorsun
Yanlışım. :embarrass
See that's what I get for not looking it up. But I should have known better.

sevgi
07-14-2008, 02:07 PM
lol..haha..omg..this is the cutest thing on LI by far..

dnt listen to "anatolian"...:P

for all i know.."oturuyong" is also acceptable in turkish:P

(regional accents)..hehe..

anatolian
07-14-2008, 07:16 PM
If this is your Turkish, I encourage you not to try to talk Turkish when you come here, stay in English. :bump:

Hey , we can teach you, take it easy.:okay:

Grace Seeker
07-14-2008, 09:08 PM
If this is your Turkish, I encourage you not to try to talk Turkish when you come here, stay in English. :bump:

Hey , we can teach you, take it easy.:okay:
Acemi çaylak bu kadar uçar. Çok şükür, tam adamına düşmüşüm.

I'm a long way from being able to speak Turkish. Generally what I have found is that people appreciate it when you at least try to speak their language. Maybe you are different. If you are upset because I can't speak it correctly, I apologize. But I don't know how to learn without making mistakes. I don't mind if you correct me. I don't mind if you tell me that I make no sense and you have no idea what I am trying to say. I can learn from both of those statements. But from "I encourage you not to try...," all I can learn is that I am a failure --at least in your eyes.

I don't know if you really see me as a failure, or simply not worth your time. I don't know if you were trying to be funny or serious. I don't know exactly what your intent was. But I do know I'm not likely to continue to seek your help. You've effectively told me to go elsewhere. You know what they say: "Göte giren şemsiye açılmaz..."

Sorry, I bothered you.

sevgi
07-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Acemi çaylak bu kadar uçar. Çok şükür, tam adamına düşmüşüm.

I'm a long way from being able to speak Turkish. Generally what I have found is that people appreciate it when you at least try to speak their language. Maybe you are different. If you are upset because I can't speak it correctly, I apologize. But I don't know how to learn without making mistakes. I don't mind if you correct me. I don't mind if you tell me that I make no sense and you have no idea what I am trying to say. I can learn from both of those statements. But from "I encourage you not to try...," all I can learn is that I am a failure --at least in your eyes.

I don't know if you really see me as a failure, or simply not worth your time. I don't know if you were trying to be funny or serious. I don't know exactly what your intent was. But I do know I'm not likely to continue to seek your help. You've effectively told me to go elsewhere. You know what they say: "Göte giren şemsiye açılmaz..."

Sorry, I bothered you.
grace...

i am so sorry about the way you are feeling about anatolian..

i also do not know what he meant by his statement..but i am pretty sure he was joking..i can tell from the emoticon he put at the end..

i take it that his english isnt too good, and when he tries to express himself..it comes out the wrong way..i dnt think he meant to be offensive or to put u off trying to speak turkish..

anwyays...im nt gna try and defend him..he can do that for himself..

all i can tell you is that ur turkish is fine. i envy the fact that you have atleast some sound knowledge in a language other than english..i wish i could learn another language..but i suck..everytime i try, i fail miserably...

the fact that you learn turkish for the sake of ur daughter makes it all the more sentimental..and you should never give up. this thread is here to help you..and anyone who doesnt want to help, can bugger off..

now..as for ur final line in turkish...u shud edit it:P its not very LI material..:)

peace.

Grace Seeker
07-15-2008, 05:27 AM
No, Sevgi, I understand my Turkish isn't very good. I make all sorts of mistakes in it all the time. So, I don't mind being corrected. In fact, I wish that Anatolian had actually corrected me. (Especially since he obviously saw something at fault with my grammar or word choice.) I just don't like being ridiculed for trying.

As for your language skills. What do you mean: "i envy the fact that you have atleast some sound knowledge in a language other than english..i wish i could learn another language..but i suck..everytime i try, i fail miserably..."?

Are you not reading and writing in English AND also able to speak and read Turkish? It sure seems that you are.

I'm not really up on that many languages. I learned Spanish in high school, and can still use it effectively enough to carry on a conversation when I need to. It comes in handy when visiting my kids in Chile. But so far I have gotten next to no where in learning Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese. So far about all I can say in any of them is "YES", "NO", and "Where's the bathroom?". I've learned it's very important to be able to say that last phrase in the native language of any country you ever intend to visit. :D

sevgi
07-15-2008, 05:51 AM
No, Sevgi, I understand my Turkish isn't very good. I make all sorts of mistakes in it all the time. So, I don't mind being corrected. In fact, I wish that Anatolian had actually corrected me. (Especially since he obviously saw something at fault with my grammar or word choice.) I just don't like being ridiculed for trying.

As for your language skills. What do you mean: "i envy the fact that you have atleast some sound knowledge in a language other than english..i wish i could learn another language..but i suck..everytime i try, i fail miserably..."?

Are you not reading and writing in English AND also able to speak and read Turkish? It sure seems that you are.

I'm not really up on that many languages. I learned Spanish in high school, and can still use it effectively enough to carry on a conversation when I need to. It comes in handy when visiting my kids in Chile. But so far I have gotten next to no where in learning Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese. So far about all I can say in any of them is "YES", "NO", and "Where's the bathroom?". I've learned it's very important to be able to say that last phrase in the native language of any country you ever intend to visit. :D
ok..this is gna sound really corny..but i think anatolian felt as though you were close enuf to pick on..turks are very frendly ppl...

anyways..as for me, i meant a language other than my mother-tongues.

hehehe.."YES", "NO" and "Wheres the bathroom?" are starters:P

north_malaysian
07-15-2008, 06:41 AM
are there any differences between Turkish language in the Asian side of Turkey and Turkish language in the European side of Turkey?

sevgi
07-15-2008, 12:14 PM
are there any differences between Turkish language in the Asian side of Turkey and Turkish language in the European side of Turkey?
:) no..the european side is soooo small:)

the turkish spoken in turkey is all the same, except for differnces in accents which vary regionally, if not, almost every city has its lil accents..

:)

anatolian
07-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Hey man, I didn't ridicule you.It was a joke.I thought that you would understand that joke since there is a warm dialoge in this thread but...it seems even your English is no better then your Turkish to understad this. :D

anatolian
07-15-2008, 09:52 PM
The language is same but the pronunciations differ from region to region so much.

Grace Seeker
07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey man, I didn't ridicule you.It was a joke.I thought that you would understand that joke since there is a warm dialoge in this thread but...it seems even your English is no better then your Turkish to understad this. :D
It wasn't a good joke. And certainly an emoticon like :bump: looks more like you are pushing me out of the way than joking with me.

Yes, we did have a good warm conversation, which is why your words stung -- they didn't fit with the rest of the conversation. After all, all I am trying to do is learn your language. I would have thought you would have respected that, but no you tell me to "stay in English". Those words are pretty clear. I don't know how I was suppose to understand that it was a joke.

And even now, you don't apologize, you just excuse yourself with a "hey, it was a joke" comment, and then attack me a second time. haha. Not funny. But since you like jokes so much, here's a joke my brother used to tell in times like these:

"All the comedians out of work, and you're trying to be funny."

yigiter187
07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
"lol" means " zuhaha" "puhaha" or "muhaha" in turkish :D

anatolian
07-16-2008, 07:22 PM
It wasn't a good joke. And certainly an emoticon like :bump: looks more like you are pushing me out of the way than joking with me.

Yes, we did have a good warm conversation, which is why your words stung -- they didn't fit with the rest of the conversation. After all, all I am trying to do is learn your language. I would have thought you would have respected that, but no you tell me to "stay in English". Those words are pretty clear. I don't know how I was suppose to understand that it was a joke.

And even now, you don't apologize, you just excuse yourself with a "hey, it was a joke" comment, and then attack me a second time. haha. Not funny. But since you like jokes so much, here's a joke my brother used to tell in times like these:

"All the comedians out of work, and you're trying to be funny."
Ok sir I apologize.I think we misunderstood each other.Because I completely respect your effort in lerning Turkish.

Grace Seeker
07-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Ok sir I apologize.I think we misunderstood each other.Because I completely respect your effort in lerning Turkish.
Thanks! I needed to hear that.

How do I say: "I'm sorry, too, for the unkind things I said to you."

sevgi
07-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Thanks! I needed to hear that.

How do I say: "I'm sorry, too, for the unkind things I said to you."
"bende kirici sozlerim icin ozur dilerim"

or something like that...theres no set way to appologise:)

anatolian
07-18-2008, 03:02 PM
"bende kirici sozlerim icin ozur dilerim"

or something like that...theres no set way to appologise:)
You must buy a Turkish keyboard for yourself :)

By the way "Ben de.." Ben and de are seperate..

Grace Seeker
07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
How do you say: "Get well, soon."? Is it "Geçmiş olsun."?

And can anyone interpret this phrase: "Allaha şükür hayatta kalmışsınız."? I think it is something like, "Thank God you are alive."

anatolian
07-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't know the first one but you are right at the second.

Grace Seeker
07-21-2008, 03:29 PM
When someone is sick or in the hospital, what do you say to them when you are hoping that they will recover soon?

Is it not, "Geçmiş olsun."?

If not, how do you use that phrase?

anatolian
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Yes we say "Geçmiş olsun" to them at those times. So you say get well,soon.

Your English phrase seems "İyi olman dileğiyle" or "Yakında iyi olman dileğiyle" but we use "geçmiş olsun much more commonly.

Grace Seeker
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes, we say "Get well soon." to people who are sick or in the hospital.

Are there other occassion when you might say "Geçmiş olsun." to someone besides when they are sick?

anatolian
07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
When some one gets over any bad thing, an accident, illness..etc no matter if he is still in an unhealthy or healthy situation you say "geçmiş olsun".

sevgi
07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
You must buy a Turkish keyboard for yourself :)

By the way "Ben de.." Ben and de are seperate..
do you enjoy upsetting people? what the hell is your problem..???

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.