/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 6 days - Judaism, Christianity, Islam

chris4336
12-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I have a question for Muslims regarding the creation verses:

"We have created the heavens and the earth, and everything between them in six days, and no fatigue touched us. "
Qur'an 50:38

I have read that this verse makes sense in terms of science because the arabic word for "days" can also be translated to "time periods" which I understand.

My question is regarding the similarity of this between the verse in the old testement. I'm guessing the original language of the old testement was Hebrew?

"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He RESTED, and was REFRESHED"
Exo. 31:17

So does the word "days" in Hebrew also mean "time period?"

Or do you think this verse was originally sent down in the Old testement as "time period" and people later changed the word to "days." Don't you think its just a little strange that the Bible says six days and the arabic word used can also mean "days"?

I hope I have made myself clear...if not I'll try to explain some more
Thanks for the help

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
12-02-2006, 01:49 PM
That's interesting, Chris. I didn't realise that there were such similarities between the Quran and the OT with regards to the creation of the world ...

If I can add a question (without wanting to take this thread of topic), why does the Quran say "We have created the heavens and the earth, and everything between them in six days, and no fatigue touched us." Who are we in this case? Is it meant as a royal 'we', or does it mean more than one person/being?

As to your question, as far as I understand the Hebrew word for 'day' can also mean 'age' or 'period of time' - which would give the whole creation story a quite different perspective.
Some Christians believe that God created the world in literally 6 days,but my guess is that the majority of Christians do not believe that ...

Looking forward to hearing the Islamic perspective on this ...

Peace :)

- Qatada -
12-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi chris.

I think your answer may be somewhere within these articles insha'Allaah:

Miraculous Quran
http://www.load-islam.com/wel_islam.php?topic_id=3

By the way, glo - the We and Us is a royal way of speaking. I.e. if the queen addresses the people, she uses the word 'we' instead of 'me' and this is how Allaah Almighty addresses Himself in the Qur'an. And Allaah knows best.

Peace.

Muhammad
12-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Hello Chris,

Not all explanations of these verses translate "days" into "time periods". For instance, the explanation given by Ibn Katheer goes as far as to mention on which days certain events occurred. Also, there is a detailed analysis of these verses here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/11727-post18.html

If we go by the understanding that indeed these verses are referring to the concept of 'days' as we know them, is it so hard to believe that God created everything in six days? An interesting explanation of this is given here:

Why did Allaah create the heavens and the earth in six days when He is able to have created it in less time?

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Chuck
12-02-2006, 07:19 PM
In the context of quran it means a cycle of time. There are some scholars who believe the day was = 24hrs (i.e. universe was created in the time span of 24hrs * 6). However, from objective point of view it is not clear whether it was 24hrs day or time span measures to something else - as the verse doesn't go into the detail of the measure of time span unlike some other verses that use the word 'day'.

Points to ponder:
In verse 22:47, Allah says that the time span of a day at the day of judgement will be about 1,000 years in relation to the time here on earth now.

In verse 70:4, Allah says that Angels and the Spirit ascend to Him in a day which corresponds to 50,000 years on earth.

Hebrew word for day is similar in meaning to the arabic word (i.e. it means a cycle of time, epoch, etc..)

Umar001
12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Assalamu Aleykum guy,

I think the distinguishing difference of both the text in this place is the:

5and God calleth to the light `Day,' and to the darkness He hath called `Night;' and there is an evening, and there is a morning -- day one.

I always used to love reading those passages :)
Anyhow, the fact that evening and morning is written show a clear indication that it is speaking of a 24 hour period, where as the Qu'ran does not state such a thing.

Also Glo, it is a respect of plurality. I know others have explained, I'll give you a little insight.

In my original tongue which is pretty much close to Arabic and others, when we see our granfather, or someone who's an elder, we walk into the house and say 'Kemey Alekhum' This in english would be, 'How are you all' same as Salam Aleykum, Peace be upon you all.

And sometimes the grandfather or elder would say, 'Dahan Alena' which would be 'Ok we are' so they are refering to themselves as plural but he would be only one grandfather, it is part of the respect.

glo
12-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for your clarifications, Fi_Sabilillah and Isa.

_Mujahida
12-05-2006, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
That's interesting, Chris. I didn't realise that there were such similarities between the Quran and the OT with regards to the creation of the world ...

If I can add a question (without wanting to take this thread of topic), why does the Quran say "We have created the heavens and the earth, and everything between them in six days, and no fatigue touched us." Who are we in this case? Is it meant as a royal 'we', or does it mean more than one person/being?

As to your question, as far as I understand the Hebrew word for 'day' can also mean 'age' or 'period of time' - which would give the whole creation story a quite different perspective.
Some Christians believe that God created the world in literally 6 days,but my guess is that the majority of Christians do not believe that ...

Looking forward to hearing the Islamic perspective on this ...

this question was Answer in this websit http://www.islamweb.net and this is what the both or sis said about the Quran sayin We..

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

The Qur'an was revealed in Arabic. Arabs use many rhetorical styles. Among these styles is the use of 'We' instead of 'I' in order to show glorification on the part of a speaker.
This style is common in the Qur'an. Here are some examples:
Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {And indeed We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six Days …}[50:38]
Allah also Says (interpretation of meaning): {And (remember) when We said: "Enter this town (Jerusalem) ….}[2:58]
Allah also Says (interpretation of meaning): {And when We decide to destroy a town (population), We (first) send a definite order (to obey Allâh and be righteous) to those among them [or We (first) increase in number those of its population] who are given the good things of this life. …}[17:16].
As for the words "'Abodoon: You have to worship Me" and "Khafoon: fear Allah" and the like, they represent forms of instruction and order, not forms of notification and informing.
But, in case of singular imperative we use the singular "I", not "we" if we intend glorification.
Allah knows best.

References (http://www.islamweb.net)

YusufNoor
12-05-2006, 02:54 PM
:sl:

So does the word "days" in Hebrew also mean "time period?"
according to Psalms 1-4:

L-rd, YOU were our refuge for ages, ere ever the Mountains were born.

Or the Earth and World rolled in their speheres, You, G-D, were from Ever to Ever.

YOU set men in depression; then YOU say, "Sons of Adam return;"

For a thousand years passes like a day in Your sight. They pass like a watch in the night.

that's from The Holy Bible in Modern English Translated direct from the original Hebrew, Chaldee and Greek Languages by Ferrar Fenton.

:w:

Nuseyba bintkab
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
great

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.