/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Articles :The Virtue Of Lowering The Gaze

WomanOfJihad
01-13-2005, 09:33 PM
"If I were not a Muslim, I would have contacted AIDS!" proclaimed my friend. "The ayahs in Sura Nur about lowering our gazes doesn't affect me anymore", expressed another youth, talking about the intense temptations felt by today's youth. Difficulty in lowering the gaze by both the young and old is readily perceived on the street, weddings, parties and even in the Masjids.

What has gone wrong with our Ummah? Us Muslims, called by Allah, our Creator, as the best Ummah, Model Community, custodians of Truth and the Upholders of Morality behaving in this way? Why are we adopting the attitudes and routes of the Kuffar? How can we rectify ourselves?

What follows are a series of practical, though graphic advice which can work for us and set us free from Satan's stronghold, insha Allah.

Prophet Muhammad, Sallallhu alayhi wa sallam, by way of warning and as a reminder said: "I have not left a fitnah (trial, calamity or cause for calamity) after me more than (the fitnah) with women for men" (Bukhari and Muslim). Also was related by our Prophet : "The world is sweet and verdant, and Allah having put you in it in your turn watches how you act; so fear the world and fear women, for the first trial of the Bani israel had to do with women" (Muslim)

Being optimistic, a ray of hope was also wisely provided during Prophet's Last Sermon on way to avoid the above pitfall: "If the Ummah hold on to the Quran and the Sunnah, it will not go astray".

When Allah created us humans will all the desires and urges, He also revealed to us sufficient and complete guidance to contain them through proper channels. All we need to do is seek this guidance, contemplate on it and implement it. "This day I have perfected you deen for you, completed my favors upon you and chosen Islam as your deen" (5:3)

Realize the fact that the great Sahabas were humans beings too. Biologically they were no different from us, they too had desires and temptations of the human species, and yet they controlled them in the best of ways. We can too, insha Allah. To posses sensual passions is Human, to control them is Muslim.

When confronted with a luring situation, like passing by a non-mahram on the street, office, or a school, Satan is constantly tempting us to glare at her with evil thoughts. Satan is probably excitingly saying with a big smile `Yes', `Yes', `Yes', when we steer into the bait he is setting. During these situations immediately and consciously realize that when we give a second or following glances, we are obeying Satan. "O you who believe, follow not the footsteps of the devil..." (24:21). By immediately averting our gazes and disobeying Satan, we are giving him a one two punch in the face which leaves him frustrated, accursed and defeated.

Satan rebelled and was expelled by Allah, so lets all rebel against Satan and expel him from our hearts. Satan intents to fight a war against the believers, so lets gather our forces behind Quran and Sunnah and defeat him.

Remember that even if no human eye is watching us, the ever watchful Allah is constantly monitoring the innermost regions of our heart. Our eyes, limbs, tongue and private parts will all be witnesses for or against us on the Day of Judgement and not an atoms worth of our deeds will remain unexamined.

Psychologically our minds are conditioned to associate our thoughts of stealing clothes from a store to being in handcuffs and hauled into a police van. Likewise, we should condition our minds to bring the verses of Surah Nur in front of our eyes during any tempting situation and imagine that during that particular instance Allah (SWT) is speaking to us directly: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty, that will make for greater purity for them...Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...O you believers! Turn you all together towards Allah that you may attain success" (24:30,31). What a beautiful guidance and what a sublime reward for implementing it.

With practice, the above associations and the remembrance of Allah during tempting situations will prevent us from getting stuck by devilish arrows. Successful controlling our gazed also depends upon our avoidance of sinful situations. Al Islamic idiom (Usul Al-Fiqh) says: "Anything that leads to haram is haram in itself". Therefore cutting any unlawful situation in their bud is what we should strive for. Performance of a pious deed is rewarded and avoidance of a sinful deed is also rewarded, Al-Hamdulillah.

One of the biggest culprits which encourage us to disobey the ayahs in Surah Nur, are the movies. In the name of entertainment, to please our peers and children and as an excuse to do something together as a family, we astonishingly allow the development of un-Islamic scenes and dialogues in front of our eyes. Can we ever imagine (Na'udubillah) any Sahaba renting the latest hit from Blockbuster videos, or listening to music with luring lyrics at high volume?

Likewise, we watch news on TV and stare at the anchorwomen, female gymnasts, and female swimmers who are scantly dressed. Prophet Muhammad, sallallahu alayhi wa sallam, was once approached by a women with a proposal for marriage. He took a single glance at her and turned his face way. Jabir bin Abdullah reported: "I asked Allah's messenger about the sudden glance on the face of a non-Mahram. He commanded me that I should turn away my eyes" (Muslim). Thus we are not suppose to stare at the faces of non-Mahrams of opposite gender, be they our fellow students, elders, saleswomen or the one of TV.

Pious ladies of the Prophet's household were even ordered to do purdah in front of a Blind Sahaba. Upon the curious question as to why purdah when the blind Sahaba can't see them, Prophet wisely replies: "But you could see him" (Ahmed, Trimidhi, Abu Dawood)

Each one of us may have become culprit of not obey the ayahs in Surah Nur. It is not too late to realize these short comings and work at rectifying ourselves. Above all, we should always ask forgiveness of Allah (SWT). Indeed blessed are those Muslims who are able to check their gazes, thus conserving their precious time and energy, and working in the cause of Allah to reclaim our positions as the superpowers of the world.

Let's contemplate on the above humble advises and constantly make the following supplication: "O Allah help us in controlling our sensual desires until we get married, and after our marriage, let our desires be only towards our spouses...aameen"

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khaldun
01-13-2005, 09:43 PM
:sl:

Allahu Akbar...very true and beneficial articel sister...couldnt have put it better myself. The muslim youth are very truly in great danger of temptation...but many of them seem not to understand it. may Allah guide us ameen

WomanOfJihad
01-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Thumma Ameen,

SubhanAllah, came across this Great article, which i think we all should ponder about .. n not just read and sit there ...
thinkin " oh this article was good " infact .. ponder abt wat Allah swt has said in the Quran, n look at the example of the Sahabahs..

Khaldun
01-13-2005, 10:19 PM

InshAllah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-19-2005, 10:34 PM

A reminder for us all Inshallah

Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Lowering one’s gaze is one of the most important things that a Muslim should do to protect himself from the punishment of Allah. Every sincere Muslim should spare no pains in this regard and should take practical steps to guard his gaze and overcome his weakness.

Focusing on the question at hand, the prominent Muslim scholar Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid, a prominent Saudi Muslim scholar and lecturer, states:

Shari`ah came to forbid the ways that lead to immorality, one of which is looking at non-mahram (a mahram is a non-marriageable relative) women. Almighty Allah says: “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts)” (An-Nur:30) In his commentary on this verse, Imam Ibn Kathir wrote: "This is a command from Allah to His believing slaves to lower their gaze and refrain from looking at that which is forbidden to them. So they should not look at anything except that which they are permitted to look at, and they should lower their gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things. If it so happens that a person’s gaze accidentally falls upon something forbidden, he should quickly avert his gaze."

It was narrated that Jarir ibn `Abdullah said: “I asked the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) about an accidental glance, and he commanded me to avert my gaze.” (Muslim) Imam An-Nawawi said: "What is meant by an “accidental glance” is when a person’s glance unintentionally falls upon a non-mahram woman. There is no sin on him for the first glance, but he must avert his gaze immediately. If he averts his gaze immediately there is no sin on him, but if he continues looking, then he will be a sinner, because of this hadith, for the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) commanded him to avert his gaze, and Allah says: “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts)” (An-Nur: 30)

Men must lower their gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things in all circumstances, unless there is a valid reason, such as giving testimony, medical treatment, proposing marriage, buying a slave woman, engaging in financial transactions such as buying and selling, etc. In all these cases it is permissible to look as much as is required, and no more.

There are means which help a person to lower his gaze, and we ask Allah to help you to do them:

1 – Bearing in mind the fact that Allah is watching you, that He sees you and is with you (by His knowledge) wherever you go. It may be a secretive glance of which your closest neighbor is unaware, but Allah knows of it: “Allah knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the hearts conceal.” (Ghafir:19)

2 – Seeking the help of Allah, beseeching Him and calling upon Him. Almighty Allah says: “And your Lord said: Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation).” (Ghafir: 60)

3 – You should know that every blessing you enjoy comes from Allah, and requires that you should give thanks for it. Part of being grateful for the blessing of sight means that you should protect it from looking at that which Allah has forbidden. Is there any reward for a good deed, other than good? “And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allah.” (An-Nahl: 53)

4 – Striving with your self and training yourself to lower your gaze and be patient in doing so, and never giving up. Allah says: “As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our paths.” (Al-`Ankabut: 69) The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever seeks to be chaste, Allah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks to be independent of means, Allah will make him independent of means, and whoever strives to be patient, Allah will make him patient…” (Al-Bukhari)

5 – Avoiding places where a person feels he will be exposed to the temptation of looking, if he can manage to avoid them, such as going to marketplaces or malls, and sitting idle in the street. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Beware of sitting in the street.” They said, “We have no alternative; that is where we sit and talk.” He said, “If you insist on sitting there, then give the street its rights.” They said, “What are the rights of the street?” He said, “Lowering the gaze and refraining from causing offence…” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

6 – You should realize that you have no choice in this matter, regardless of what the circumstances are and no matter how great is the temptation or motive to do evil, and no matter what emotions and overwhelming desires stir within your heart. You must lower your gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things in all places and at all times. You cannot use excuses such as the environment being corrupt, or justify your mistakes by saying that you are surrounded by temptation.

7 – Doing a lot of voluntary acts of worship, because doing a lot of them whilst also regularly doing the obligatory acts of worship is a means of protecting one's physical faculties. According to a hadith qudsi (Divine), Allah said: “… and My slave continues to draw close to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask (something) of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” (Al-Bukhari)

8 – Remembering that the earth on which sin is committed will bear witness for or against us. Allah says: “That Day it will declare its information (about all that happened over it of good or evil).” (Az-Zalzalah: 4)

9 – Bearing in mind some of the texts which forbid one from letting the gaze wander freely, such as the verse in which Allah says: “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things).” (An-Nur: 30)

10 – Avoiding unnecessary looks, so that you only look at what is needed to look at, and you do not allow your gaze to wander right and left so that it falls upon something the effects and temptation of which cannot be got rid of quickly.

11 – Marriage is one of the most effective remedies. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever can afford it, let him get married, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and in guarding one’s chastity. And whoever cannot afford it, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

11 – Remembering al-hur al-`een (maidens in Paradise), which will motivate you to be patient in avoiding that which Allah has forbidden, hoping to obtain this blessing. Allah said: “Companions of equal age.” (An-Naba': 33) And the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "If a woman of the people of Paradise were to look out over the people of this earth, it would light up everything in between and fill it with fragrance, and the veil of her head is better than this world and everything in it.” (Al-Bukhari)

12 – Bearing in mind the shortcomings of the one who takes your attention and tempts you to look at her, and keep in mind the filth and waste material that is carried in the gut.

13 – Checking yourself from time to time and striving to make yourself lower your gaze whilst being patient, realizing that everyone makes mistakes.

14 – Thinking of the pain and regret that will result from this looking, and the negative effects of allowing one’s gaze to wander.

15 – Understanding the benefits of lowering one's gaze, as mentioned above.

16 – Bringing up this topic during meetings and gatherings, and explaining its dangers to others.

17 – Advising your relatives, telling them not to wear clothes that attract attention and show their beauty, such as how they dress, wearing bright colors, how they walk, speaking too softly, etc.

18 – Warding off passing thoughts and the whispers of Satan before they take hold and are acted upon. Whoever lowers his gaze after the first glance will be saved from innumerable problems, but if he continues to look he cannot be certain that seeds that will be difficult to remove, will not be planted in his heart.

19 – Being afraid of an evil end, and of a feeling of great regret at the point of death.

20 – Keeping the company of good people, because you are naturally affected by the characteristics of the people you mix with, and a person will follow the way of his close friend, and a friend will pull you to follow his way."

SOURCE

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I hope that wasnt too long :(

Lowering the Gaze: Summer Combat!

SalafiFemaleJih
04-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Asalamualaikum wr wb,

jazakAllah kher for the informative post....May Allah reward you Ameen.

walaikum salaam wr wb.

makaveli
04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ahmed687

unless there is a valid reason, such as giving testimony, medical treatment, proposing marriage, buying a slave woman, engaging in financial transactions such as buying and selling, etc. In all these cases it is permissible to look as much as is required
phew ...... you scared me for a second there ..... if you lower your gazes when someone is talking to you in north america ..... it is considered weird and that you are shy and lack confidence. If you want people to talk to you and pay attention to you when doing a presentation or job interview or just talking to friends, eye contact is a must.

Uthman
04-20-2005, 05:51 PM

Jazak'Allah khairan brother, for yet another informative and helpful article. :)

:w:

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Again No Problem brother :D

madeenahsh
08-29-2005, 07:36 AM
The Great Virtue Of Lowering The Gaze
Imaam ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah rahimahullah

Taken from 'al-Muntaqaa min Ighaathatul Lufhaan fee Masaayid ash-Shaytaan'
[pp.'s 102-105] of ibn al-Qayyim, summarised by Alee Hasan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Allaah, the Exalted said,

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their private parts; that will make for greater purity for them. Indeed Allaah is well acquainted with all that they do." [an-Nur (24):30]

So Allaah made purification and spiritual growth to be the outcome of lowering the gaze and guarding the private parts. It is for this reason that lowrering ones gaze from (seeing) the prohibited things necessarily leads to three benefits that carry tremendous value and are of great significance.

The First: experiencing the delight and sweetness of faith.

This delight and sweetness is far greater and more desirable that which might have been attained from the object that one lowered his gaze from for the sake of Allaah. Indeed, "whosoever leaves something for the sake of Allaah then Allaah, the Mighty and Magnificent, will replace it with something better than it." [1]

The soul is a temptress and loves to look at beautiful forms and the eye is the guide of the heart. The heart commissions its guide to go and look to see what is there and when the eye informs it of a beautiful image it shudders out of love and desire for it. Frequently such inter-relations tire and wear down both the heart and the eye as is said:

When you sent your eye as a guide For your heart one day, the object of sight fatigued you For you saw one over whom you had no power Neither a portion or in totality, instead you had to be patient.

Therefore when the sight is prevented from looking and investigating the heart finds relief from having to go through the arduous task of (vainly) seeking and desiring.

Whosoever lets his sight roam free will find that he is in a perpetual state of loss and anguish for sight gives birth to love (mahabbah) the starting point of which is the heart being devoted and dependant upon that which it beholds. This then intensifies to become fervent longing (sabaabah) whereby the heart becomes totally dependant and devoted to the (object of its desire). Then this further intensifies and becomes infatuation (gharaamah) which clings to the heart like the one seeking repayment of a debt clings firmly to the one who has to pay the debt. Then this intensifies and becomes passionate love (ishk) and this is a love that transgresses all bounds. Then this further intensifies and becomes crazed passion (shaghafa) and this a love that encompasses every tiny part of the heart. Then this intensifies and becomes worshipful love (tatayyuma). Tatayyum means worship and it is said: tayyama Allaah i.e. he worshipped Allaah.

Hence the heart begins to worship that which is not correct for it to worship and the reason behind all of this was an illegal glance. The heart is now bound in chains whereas before it used to be the master, it is now imprisoned whereas before it was free. It has been oppressed by the eye and it complains to it upon which the eye replies: I am your guide and messenger and it was you who sent me in the first place!

All that has been mentioned applies to the heart that has relinquished the love of Allaah and being sincere to Him for indeed the heart must have an object of love that it devotes itself to. Therefore when the heart does not love Allaah Alone and does not take Him as its God then it must worship something else.

Allaah said concerning Yusuf as-Siddeeq 'alayhis salaam,

"Thus (did We order) so that We might turn away from him all evil and indecent actions for he was one of Our sincere servants." [Yusuf (12): 24]

It was because the wife of al-Azeez was a polytheist that (the passionate love) entered her heart despite her being married. It was because Yusuf 'alayhis salaam was sincere to Allaah that he was saved from it despite his being a young man, unamarried and a servant.

The Second: the illumination of the heart, clear perception and penetrating insight.

Ibn Shujaa` al-Kirmaanee said, "whosoever builds his outward form upon following the Sunnah, his internal form upon perpetual contemplation and awareness of Allaah, he restrains his soul from following desires, he lowers his gaze from the forbidden things and he always eats the lawful things then his perception and insight shall never be wrong."

Allaah mentioned the people of Lut and what they were afflicted with and then He went on to say,

"Indeed in this are signs for the Mutawassimeen." [al-Hijr (15): 75]

The Mutwassimeen are those who have clear perception and penetrating insight, those who are secure from looking at the unlawful and performing indecent acts.

Allaah said after mentioning the verse concerning lowering the gaze,

"Allaah is the Light of the heavens and the earth." [an-Nur (24): 35]

The reason behind this is that the reward is of the same type as the action. So whosoever lowers his gaze from the unlawful for the sake of Allaah, the Mighty and Magnificent, He will replace it with something better than it of the same type. So just as the servant restrained the light of his eye from falling upon the unlawful, Allaah blesses the light of his sight and heart thereby making him perceive what he would not have seen and understood had he not lowered his gaze.

This is a matter that the person can physically sense in himself for the heart is like a mirror and the base desires are like rust upon it. When the mirror is polished and cleaned of the rust then it will reflect the realities (haqaa`iq) as they actually are. However if it remains rusty then it will not reflect properly and therefore its knowledge and speech will arise from conjecture and doubt.

The Third: the heart becoming strong, firm and courageous.

Allaah will give it the might of aid for its strength just as He gave it the might of clear proofs for its light. Hence the heart shall combine both of these factors and as a result, Shaytaan shall flee from it. It is mentioned in the narration, "whosoever opposes his base desires, the Shaytaan shall flee in terror from his shade." [2]

This is why the one who follows his base desires shall find in himself the ignominy of the soul, its being weak, feeble and contemptible. Indeed Allaah places nobilty for the one who obeys Him and disgrace for the one who disobeys Him,

"So do not lose heart nor fall into despair; for you must gain mastery if you are true in faith." [Aali Imraan(3): 139]

"If any do seek for nobilty and power then to Allaah belongs all nobility and power." [Faatir(35): 10]

Meaning that whosoever seeks after disobedience and sin then Allaah, the Might and Magnificent, will humiliate the one who disobeys Him.

Some of the salaf said, "the people seek nobilty and power at the door of the Kings and they will not find it except through the obedience of Allaah."

This is because the one who who obeys Allaah has taken Allaah as his friend and protector and Allaah will never humiliate the one who takes his Lord as friend and patron. In the Du`aa Qunut their occurs, "the one who You take as a friend is not humiliated and the one who You take as an enemy is not ennobled." [3]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOOTNOTES:

Reported by Ahmad [5/363], al-Marwazee in 'Zawaa`id az-Zuhd' [no. 412], an-Nasaa`ee in 'al-Kubraa' as mentioned in 'Tuhfah al-Ashraaf' [11/199] from one of the Companions that the Messenger of Allaah (SAW) said, "indeed you will not leave anything for the sake of Allaah except that Allaah will replace it with something better than it." The isnaad is saheeh.

This is not established as a hadeeth of the Prophet (SAW)

Reported by Abu Daawood [Eng. Trans. 1/374 no. 1420], an-Nasaa`ee [3/248], at-Tirmidhee [no. 464], ibn Maajah [no. 1178], ad-Daarimee [1/311], Ahmad [1/199], ibn Khuzaymah [2/151] from al-Hasan from Alee (RA). The hadeeth is saheeh. The isnaad has been critcised by many, however none of the critcisms hold. Refer to: 'Nasb

Khayal
09-05-2005, 05:01 AM

JAZak ALLAH, nice sharing...

Khayal
09-06-2005, 03:35 AM
MashaAllah, an excellent article...:rose:

Jazak ALLAH khair.

ummeyasser
09-06-2005, 03:44 AM
: :sl:

That was real soul-stirring! I hope inshallah it helps each one of us

to abide by Allah S.W.T.'s commands. A constant reminder like this

should, by the Will of Allah S.W.T. pull us onto the straight path.

Ummu Amatullah
09-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Twenty Tips for Lowering the Gaze*

By Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid **
June 29, 2005

Shari `ah came to forbid the ways that lead to immorality, one of which is looking at non-mahram women. (A mahram is a close blood relative whom one may not marry.)
Almighty Allah says:

[Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts)] (An-Nur 24:30).

In his commentary on this verse, Imam Ibn Kathir wrote:

This is a command from Allah to His believing slaves to lower their gaze and refrain from looking at that which is forbidden to them. So they should not look at anything except that which they are permitted to look at, and they should lower their gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things.

If it so happens that a person's gaze accidentally falls upon something forbidden, he should quickly avert his gaze.

It was narrated that Jarir ibn `Abdullah said, "I asked the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) about an accidental glance, and he commanded me to avert my gaze" (Muslim).

Imam An-Nawawi said: What is meant by an "accidental glance" is when a person's glance unintentionally falls upon a non-mahram woman. There is no sin on him for the first glance, but he must avert his gaze immediately. If he averts his gaze immediately there is no sin on him, but if he continues looking, then he will be a sinner, because of this hadith, for the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) commanded him to avert his gaze, and Allah says:

[Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts)] (An-Nur 24: 30).

Men must lower their gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things in all circumstances, unless there is a valid reason, such as giving testimony, giving medical treatment, proposing marriage, engaging in financial transactions such as buying and selling, and so on. In all these cases it is permissible to look as much as is required, and no more.

There are measures to help you lower your gaze, and we ask Allah to help you to take them:
  • Bear in mind that Allah is watching you, that He sees you and is with you (by His knowledge) wherever you go. It may be a secretive glance of which your closest neighbor is unaware, but Allah knows of it: [Allah knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the hearts conceal] (Ghafir 40:19).

• Seek the help of Allah, beseeching Him and calling upon Him. Almighty Allah says: [And your Lord said: Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation)] (Ghafir 40:60).

• Know that every blessing you enjoy comes from Allah and requires that you should give thanks for it. Part of being grateful for the blessing of sight means that you should protect it from looking at what Allah has forbidden. Is there any reward for a good deed, other than good? Allah says: [And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allah] (An-Nahl 16:53).

• Strive with yourself and train yourself to lower your gaze and be patient in doing so, and never give up. Allah says:

[As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our paths] (Al-`Ankabut 29:69).
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Whoever seeks to be chaste, Allah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks to be independent of means, Allah will make him independent of means, and whoever strives to be patient, Allah will make him patient" (Al-Bukhari).

• Avoid places where you feel you will be tempted to look, if you can manage to avoid them, such as marketplaces or malls, and avoid sitting idle in the street. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Beware of sitting in the street." They said, "We have no alternative; that is where we sit and talk." He said, "If you insist on sitting there, then give the street its rights." They said, "What are the rights of the street?" He said, "Lowering the gaze and refraining from causing offense" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

• Realize that you have no choice in this matter, regardless of what the circumstances are, no matter how great the temptation is or the motive to do evil, and no matter what emotions and overwhelming desires stir within your heart. You must lower your gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things in all places and at all times. You cannot use excuses such as the environment being corrupt, or justify your mistakes by saying that you are surrounded by temptation.

• Do a lot of voluntary acts of worship because do so while also regularly doing the obligatory acts of worship is a means of protecting your physical faculties. According to a hadith qudsi, Allah said,

"And My slave continues to draw close to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask (something) of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it" (Al-Bukhari).

• Remember that the earth on which sin is committed will bear witness for or against us. Allah says:

[That Day it will declare its information (about all that happened over it of good or evil)] (Az-Zalzalah 99:4).

• Bear in mind some of the texts that forbid one from letting the gaze wander freely, such as the verse in which Allah says: [Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things)] (An-Nur 24:30).

• Avoid unnecessary looks so that you only look at what is needed and you do not allow your gaze to wander right and left so that it falls upon something whose effects and temptation cannot be got rid of quickly.

• Remember that marriage is one of the most effective remedies. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Whoever can afford it, let him get married, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and in guarding one's chastity. And whoever cannot afford it, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

• Remember the houris (maidens in Paradise), which thought will motivate you to be patient in avoiding that which Allah has forbidden, hoping to obtain this blessing. Allah said: [Companions of equal age] (An-Naba' 78:33). And the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "If a woman of the people of Paradise were to look out over the people of this earth, it would light up everything in between and fill it with fragrance, and the veil of her head is better than this world and everything in it" (Al-Bukhari).

• Bear in mind the shortcomings of the one who takes your attention and tempts you to look at her, and keep in mind the filth and waste material that is carried in the gut.

• Check yourself from time to time and strive to make yourself lower your gaze while being patient, realizing that everyone makes mistakes.

• Think of the pain and regret that will result from this look and the negative effects of allowing your gaze to wander.

• Understand the benefits of lowering your gaze, as mentioned above.

• Bring up this topic during meetings and gatherings, and explain its dangers to others.

• Advise your relatives, telling them not to wear clothes that attract attention and show their beauty, and to take care how they walk and talk.

• Ward off passing thoughts and the whispers of Satan before they take hold and are acted upon. Whoever lowers his gaze after the first glance will be saved from innumerable problems, but if he continues to look he cannot be certain that seeds that will be difficult to remove will not be planted in his heart.

• Be afraid of an evil end and of a feeling of great regret at the point of death.
Keep the company of good people because you are naturally affectedby the characteristics of the people you mix with, and a person will follow the way of his close friend, and a friend will pull you to follow his way.

* Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam-qa.com.
**Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid is a prominent Saudi Muslim lecturer and author.

By Sheikh M. S. Al-Munajjid **
June 29, 2005

Unlce Jameel
09-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Mashallah that was very helpful sister, jazakhalla for the great information.
Inshallah we can all implement this into our lifestyle

Angel24
09-15-2005, 04:18 AM

Mashallah sis that really was great and helpful.....
Thankz for sharing it with us...
Allah helps all the muslims around the world...
Ameen...

Lonely_Boy
09-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Asslam O Aleakum Sister

Jazakallah for ur nice sharing i will try my best to follow and pray for all muslim Ummah

Salam

Rabi'ya
09-23-2005, 07:08 PM
JazakAllah for posting that...A good reminder mashAllah

Rabi'ya:rose:

Umm Safiya
02-17-2006, 11:04 PM
How to lower our gaze
by Sabeel Ahmed

A big curtain is not my intention, but a big iman and befitting Islamic manners is.

"If I were not a Muslim, I would have contracted AIDS" proclaimed my friend. "The ayats in Surah Nur about lowering our gazes doesn't affect me anymore," expressed another youth, talking about the intense temptations felt by today's young. Difficulty in lowering the gaze by both the young and old is readily perceived on the street, weddings, parties and even in the mosques.
What has gone wrong? How can Muslims, called by Allah, our Creator the model community, the custodians of Truth and the upholders of morality behave this way? Why are we adopting the attitudes and routes of the kuffar? How can we rectify ourselves? What follows is a series of practical, though graphic advises which can work for us and set us free from Satan's stronghold, Insha'Allah.

Prophet Muhamad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam), by way of warning and as a reminder said, "There is nothing left after I go more dangerous to men than the temptations of women." Being optimistic, a ray of hope was also wisely provided during the prophet's Last Sermon "If the Ummah holds on to the Qur'an and Sunnah, it will never go astray."

When Allah created humans with all our desires and urges, he also revealed to us sufficient and complete guidance to properly channel these desires, both in the midst of Dar-ul-Kufr or Dar-ul-Islam. All we need to do is seek it, contemplate on it and pursue it. "This day I have perfected your deen for you, completed my favors upon you and chosen Islam as your deen." [Surah Maidah, 4]

We should realize that the fact the great sahabahs were human beings also. Biologically there were no different from us. They had desires and temptations but yet, they controlled themselves in the best of ways. We can do the same, Insha'Allah. To possess sensual passions is human, to control them is Muslim.

When confronted with an alluring situation like passing by a non-mahram on the street, office or school, Satan is constantly tempting us to glare at her/him with evil thoughts. Satan is probably excitingly saying, with a big smile, 'yes, yes, yes,' when we steer into the bait he is setting. During these situations, immediately and consciously realize that when we give a second or following glances, we are obeying Satan. "O you who believe, follow not the footsteps of the devil" [24: 21]. By immediately averting our gazes and disobeying Satan, we are giving him a one-two punch in the face and leaving him frustrated and accursed.

Satan rebelled and was expelled by Allah, so let's all rebel against Satan and expel him from our hearts. Satan intends to fight a war against Muslims, so let's gather our forces behind the Qur`an and the Sunnah and defeat him. Remember that even if no human eye is watching us, the Ever-Watchful Allah is constantly monitoring the innermost regions of our hearts. Our eyes, limbs, tongue and private parts will be witnesses on the Judgment Day and not an atom's worth of deed will remain unexamined.

Our minds are conditioned to associate thoughts of stealing clothes from a store to being in handcuffs and hauled into a police van. Likewise we should condition our minds to bring the verses of Surah Nur in front of our eyes during any tempting situations and imagine that Allah is speaking to us directly "Say to the believing, men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty .O you believers! Turn you all together towards Allah that you may attain success" [24: 30-31] If the Qur`an contained only these two ayats, it would be enough to convince me that it is the book of Allah.

With practice, these associations and the remembrance of Allah during tempting situations will prevent us from getting stuck by devilish arrows. Successfully controlling our gazes also deadens our avoidance of sinful situations. An Islamic idiom says, "Anything that leads to haram is haram in itself." To do a pious deed is a reward; to avoid a sin is a reward too.

One of the biggest culprits in this class is movies. In the name of entertainment, to please our peers and children and an excuse to do something together as a family, we astonishingly allow un-Islamic pictures and dialogues in front of our eyes and ears. Can we ever imagine (a'udhubillah) any sahaba renting the latest hit from Blockbuster Videos, or listening to music with alluring lyrics at high volume?

Likewise we watch news on TV and stare at the anchor women, adorned in heavy make-up, scanty clothing and seductive smile. Prophet Muhammad (salAllahu alayhi wasalam), was once approached by a woman with a proposal for marriage. He took a single glance at her face and turned his face away. Jabir bin Abdullah reported: "I asked Allah's messenger about the sudden glance on the face of a non-mahram. He commanded me that I should turn away my eyes." [Muslim].
Thus, we are not supposed to stare at faces of non-mahrams, be they our fellow students, our elders, saleswomen or someone on TV.

Pious ladies of the prophet's household were ordered to observe purdah (separation) in front of a blind sahabah. Asking the curious questions as to why cover/separate when the blind sahabah could not see them, the prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) wisely answered, "But you could see him."

In our wedding ceremonies and parties and even in many Islamic fundraising dinners, there is heavy free-mixing between brothers and sisters. Often the chairs of males and females are arranged facing each other, knowing that about 90 percent of our sisters do no wear hijab. It is often noticeable to see males and females peeking glances at each other from the opposite ends of the hall. A big curtain is not my intention, but a big iman and befitting Islamic manners is.

"A woman who applies perfumes and goes to a gathering is like an adulteress" the prophet (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said. Compare this with our sisters who clad themselves with expensive perfume, one kilogram of makeup, and then come to mixed gatherings. Will this not attract the attention of males? Let's be real. We have lowered our moral guards so low that a humble word of truth often seems so awfully strange.

Let us contemplate the above humble advices and constantly make the supplication,
O Allah help us control our sensual desires until we get married, and even after we marry, let our desires be only towards our spouses.
Ameen.

Salaam
02-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Salaam,

Jazek'Allah for that post...

Khayal
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM

How to Lower our Gaze

Sabeel Ahmed

"If I were not a Muslim, I would have contacted AIDS!" proclaimed my friend. "The ayahs in Sura Nur about lowering our gazes doesn't affect me anymore", expressed another youth, talking about the intense temptations felt by today's youth. Difficulty in lowering the gaze by both the young and old is readily perceived on the street, weddings, parties and even in the Masjids.

What has gone wrong with our Ummah? Us Muslims, called by Allah, our Creator, as the best Ummah, Model Community, custodians of Truth and the Upholders of Morality behaving in this way? Why are we adopting the attitudes and routes of the Kuffar? How can we rectify ourselves?

What follows are a series of practical, though graphic advice which can work for us and set us free from Satan's stronghold, insha Allah.

Prophet Muhammad, Sallallhu alayhi wa sallam, by way of warning and as a reminder said: "I have not left a fitnah (trial, calamity or cause for calamity) after me more than (the fitnah) with women for men" (Bukhari and Muslim). Also was related by our Prophet : "The world is sweet and verdant, and Allah having put you in it in your turn watches how you act; so fear the world and fear women, for the first trial of the Bani israel had to do with women" (Muslim)

Being optimistic, a ray of hope was also wisely provided during Prophet's Last Sermon on way to avoid the above pitfall: "If the Ummah hold on to the Quran and the Sunnah, it will not go astray".

When Allah created us humans will all the desires and urges, He also revealed to us sufficient and complete guidance to contain them through proper channels. All we need to do is seek this guidance, contemplate on it and implement it. "This day I have perfected you deen for you, completed my favors upon you and chosen Islam as your deen" (5:3)

Realize the fact that the great Sahabas were humans beings too. Biologically they were no different from us, they too had desires and temptations of the human species, and yet they controlled them in the best of ways. We can too, insha Allah. To posses sensual passions is Human, to control them is Muslim.

When confronted with a luring situation, like passing by a non-mahram on the street, office, or a school, Satan is constantly tempting us to glare at her with evil thoughts. Satan is probably excitingly saying with a big smile `Yes', `Yes', `Yes', when we steer into the bait he is setting. During these situations immediately and consciously realize that when we give a second or following glances, we are obeying Satan. "O you who believe, follow not the footsteps of the devil..."(24:21). By immediately averting our gazes and disobeying Satan, we are giving him a one two punch in the face which leaves him frustrated, accursed and defeated.

Satan rebelled and was expelled by Allah, so lets all rebel against Satan and expel him from our hearts. Satan intents to fight a war against the believers, so lets gather our forces behind Quran and Sunnah and defeat him.

Remember that even if no human eye is watching us, the ever watchful Allah is constantly monitoring the innermost regions of our heart. Our eyes, limbs, tongue and private parts will all be witnesses for or against us on the Day of Judgement and not an atoms worth of our deeds will remain unexamined.

Psychologically our minds are conditioned to associate our thoughts of stealing clothes from a store to being in handcuffs and hauled into a police van. Likewise, we should condition our minds to bring the verses of Surah Nur in front of our eyes during any tempting situation and imagine that during that particular instance Allah (SWT) is speaking to us directly: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty, that will make for greater purity for them...Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...O you believers! Turn you all together towards Allah that you may attain success"(24:30,31). What a beautiful guidance and what a sublime reward for implementing it.

With practice, the above associations and the remembrance of Allah during tempting situations will prevent us from getting stuck by devilish arrows. Successful controlling our gazed also depends upon our avoidance of sinful situations. Al Islamic idiom (Usul Al-Fiqh) says: "Anything that leads to haram is haram in itself". Therefore cutting any unlawful situation in their bud is what we should strive for. Performance of a pious deed is rewarded and avoidance of a sinful deed is also rewarded, Al-Hamdulillah.

One of the biggest culprits which encourage us to disobey the ayahs in Surah Nur, are the movies. In the name of entertainment, to please our peers and children and as an excuse to do something together as a family, we astonishingly allow the development of un-Islamic scenes and dialogues in front of our eyes. Can we ever imagine (Na'udubillah) any Sahaba renting the latest hit from Blockbuster videos, or listening to music with luring lyrics at high volume?

Likewise, we watch news on TV and stare at the anchorwomen, female gymnasts, and female swimmers who are scantly dressed. Prophet Muhammad, sallallahu alayhi wa sallam, was once approached by a women with a proposal for marriage. He took a single glance at her and turned his face way. Jabir bin Abdullah reported: "I asked Allah's messenger about the sudden glance on the face of a non-Mahram. He commanded me that I should turn away my eyes" (Muslim). Thus we are not suppose to stare at the faces of non-Mahrams of opposite gender, be they our fellow students, elders, saleswomen or the one of TV.

Pious ladies of the Prophet's household were even ordered to do purdah in front of a Blind Sahaba. Upon the curious question as to why purdah when the blind Sahaba can't see them, Prophet wisely replies: "But you could see him" (Ahmed, Trimidhi, Abu Dawood)

Each one of us may have become culprit of not obey the ayahs in Surah Nur. It is not too late to realize these short comings and work at rectifying ourselves. Above all, we should always ask forgiveness of Allah (SWT). Indeed blessed are those Muslims who are able to check their gazes, thus conserving their precious time and energy, and working in the cause of Allah to reclaim our positions as the superpowers of the world.

Let's contemplate on the above humble advises and constantly make the following supplication: "O Allah help us in controlling our sensual desires until we get married, and after our marriage, let our desires be only towards our spouses...aameen"
5/28/97

IbnAbdulHakim
03-16-2006, 05:05 PM
how to lower our gaze - lol put your head down and look at the floor ;D !

jk, alhamdullilah nice post :)

M H Kahn
03-17-2006, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khayaL

If the Ummah hold on to the Quran and the Sunnah, it will not go astray".
The same Hadith has been taken by the Shiite with 'my posterity' in place of "sunnah': "If the Ummah hold on to the Quran and the my posterity it will not go astray".

Najiullah
04-19-2006, 04:34 AM
Alhamdullilah nice post

IbnAbdulHakim
04-19-2006, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naqi
wrong wrong :grumbling we are protected
ye, A LOTTA people sadly addicted to "EHHEM" get aids these days...

salafiah
04-20-2006, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
how to lower our gaze - lol put your head down and look at the floor ;D !

jk, alhamdullilah nice post :)
hahahahahaha!

Helena
04-21-2006, 09:40 AM

found this article by dr Hesham Hassaballa hope you find it interesting.....

As temperatures soar and sweat pours down our faces this summer, it
is essential to remember this: protect your eyes, and I am not
talking about wearing sunglasses.

I'm talking about lowering our gazes.

In our culture today, as the temperature increases, so does the
amount of exposed skin on people's bodies. Although this is very
distressing and disturbing, it has become a fact of life.

In fact, those of us, especially our sisters wearing Hijab, who
cover to guard our modesty are seen as strange!

Yet, covering, not exposing the skin, is an advice currently being
given by the United States Department of Health And Human Services
(HHS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

They have sponsored a campaign called "Choose Your Cover",
encouraging people to protect themselves from skin cancer.

One of the recommended methods is wearing clothing that covers skin
and protects against the sun's UV rays.

The campaign's section on clothing notes that "a long-sleeved shirt
and long pants with a thick weave provide the best protection."

And lest we forget, before global warming and skin cancer warnings
were ever issued, most of the Muslim and non-Muslim men and women
living in the scorching deserts or cities and villages of Africa and
Asia, which experience tremendous heat in the summers
[if not most of the year] did NOT emerge from their homes virtually naked.

In fact, they covered themselves more to protect themselves from the
sun.

SOME ADVICE FROM THE QURAN AND SUNNAH

It is in this instance, surrounded by half-naked people, that we
must have the courage to follow the command of Allah and His Prophet
Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) and lower our gazes.
Allah says:

"Do not go near fornication and adultery, it is an abomination
and an evil way." (Quran 17:32).

This sin is so hateful in the sight of Our Lord, that He commanded
us to not even go near it.

Despite what anyone may say, looking upon that which one is not
supposed to is going near adultery. For an illicit affair begins
with a lustful glance.

Allah wishes for us not to commit this ugly sin, and thus He
commands us to lower our gazes:

"Tell the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that will make for greater purity for them; And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

And tell the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modestyÅ " (Quran 24:30-31).

Lowering the gaze does not mean keeping our eyes constantly on the
ground and not looking up at all.
It is turning our faces away when we see a less-than-decently-
dressed woman or man walking on the street in the middle of July.

THE ADULTERY OF THE EYES

The Prophet (saw) further explained to us Allah's command. Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Prophet (saw) said, "the adultery of the eyes is looking (at [that] which is not allowed)" (Bukhari, Muslim).

Also, on the authority of Jurayr who said,
"I asked the Messenger (saw) of Allah about accidentally looking at something that is not allowed and he (saw) said,
'Turn your eyes away." (Muslim).

In another Hadith on the authority of Abu Sa¹eed, the Prophet
(saw) said, "A man should not look at the Awrah of another man, and the woman should not look at the Awrah of another woman" (Muslim).

Thus, our Prophet even instructed us to lower our gaze when looking
at members of the same gender in some cases.

LOWERING FOR THE "OTHER" NAKEDNESS

One common mistake is to think that lowering your gaze is only
required upon encountering nakedness and indecency "in the flesh" or
in person.

Lowering our gaze must also be practiced when watching a film or
television program replete with nakedness and intimate scenes of
couples (actually, we should try to avoid watching such types of
programs, period).

Lowering our gaze includes changing the channel when "Baywatch"
comes on.

It also means changing the channel when watching the news if we feel
attracted to the anchorperson or reporter reading or presenting the
news.

And anyway, television isn't that great of a way to spend time.
[See why in Sound Vision's unTV guide.(www.soundvision.com)]

DON'T GO TO THE BEACH

Or anywhere else you'll find a plethora of bikini- and swimming-
trunk clad men and women.

Lowering your gaze there is virtually impossible. You may turn in
one direction, thinking you're home-free, but soon enough you
can't even look there.

The same holds true for parks. While this doesn't mean never taking
the kids out to enjoy the slides and see-saws or having barbecues
there, it does mean perhaps having activities on days that are
cooler, or at times when the sun is not as hot and intense (i.e.
some time in the earlier morning or before Maghrib).

This way, the prime time for sunbathing has passed, and most people
either leave or feel cool enough to put some more clothes on.

MAKE DUA

"Never underestimate the power of Dua," Imam Siraj Wahhaj of
Brooklyn, New York once said. This holds true in all trying
situations.

Sometimes, despite avoiding certain places where you are more likely
to encounter an improperly dressed person, you may find someone
walking on the street going to the beach or the park who decided to
get ready for suntanning or swimming beforehand.

In these cases, lowering the gaze may be even harder. You weren't epecting it, so you didn't mentally prepare yourself.

If you feel overwhelmed, one suggested Dua to read is: "Aoutho
billahi Sami¹ il Aleem minash Shaytan ir Rajeem"
(see Quran 41:36 for more information). A translation of this is
"I seek the refuge of Allah who is the Hearer and Who is the Knower from the Shaytan the accursed."

In general, seek refuge in Allah. It has also been suggested to
say "La hawla wa la Quwwata illa billah" (there is no power except
with Allah). If we sincerely make Dua, Insha Allah, we can succeed
in turning our eyes away.

LOWERING THE GAZE DOESN'T MEAN BEING ANTI-SOCIAL

But lowering our gaze does not mean being rude or anti-social.
Summer is definitely a time to go out, have fun, and even make Dawa
(inviting others to Islam).

You can, for example, hand out brochures at public places and parks.

The Prophet (saw) used to present the message of Islam to people that had come for the yearly "Ukaz" festival, which did include unIslamic activities like drinking and gambling.

However, this requires faith, self-control and discipline. This must
never be used as an opportunity to indulge in these sins.

THE GAZE IS A PART OF A MUSLIM¹S CHARACTER

A Muslim is decent and pure. This means all of his or her body must
be decent and pure. A natural consequence of this is lowering the
gaze.

Allah tells us:

"O you who believe! Do not follow Satan's footsteps: if any will
follow the footsteps of Satan, he will command what is shameful and wrong..." (Quran 24:21).

Looking at another man or woman in an indecent manner is following
in Satan¹s footsteps.

It all begins with a lustful glance. Such a glance leads to lustful
talk and flirting, then meetingÅ and we are all aware of what comes
next.

Let us stop Satan in his tracks and lower our gaze.

Let us start today, during these hot summer months. Yes, it is very
difficult and it takes discipline and faith.

Yet, whenever we struggle to please Allah, He will reward us several
times over in this life and the next.

It is truly a Jihad. But, it is a Jihad worth undertaking, and we
will be all the better for it.

any views inshalah....

Anonymous.92
04-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Mashallah good article. I hope we all adhere to it.

x Maz x
05-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Twenty Tips for Lowering the Gaze

1 – Bearing in mind the fact that Allah is watching you, that He sees you and is with you (by His knowledge) wherever you go. It may be a secretive glance of which your closest neighbor is unaware, but Allah knows of it: “Allah knows the fraud of the eyes, and all that the hearts conceal.” (Ghafir:19)

2 – Seeking the help of Allah, beseeching Him and calling upon Him. Almighty Allah says: “And your Lord said: Invoke Me [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation).” (Ghafir: 60)

3 – You should know that every blessing you enjoy comes from Allah, and requires that you should give thanks for it. Part of being grateful for the blessing of sight means that you should protect it from looking at that which Allah has forbidden. Is there any reward for a good deed, other than good? “And whatever of blessings and good things you have, it is from Allah.” (An-Nahl: 53)

4 – Striving with your self and training yourself to lower your gaze and be patient in doing so, and never giving up. Allah says: “As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our paths.” (Al-`Ankabut: 69) The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever seeks to be chaste, Allah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks to be independent of means, Allah will make him independent of means, and whoever strives to be patient, Allah will make him patient…” (Al-Bukhari)

5 – Avoiding places where a person feels he will be exposed to the temptation of looking, if he can manage to avoid them, such as going to marketplaces or malls, and sitting idle in the street. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Beware of sitting in the street.” They said, “We have no alternative; that is where we sit and talk.” He said, “If you insist on sitting there, then give the street its rights.” They said, “What are the rights of the street?” He said, “Lowering the gaze and refraining from causing offence…” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

6 – You should realize that you have no choice in this matter, regardless of what the circumstances are and no matter how great is the temptation or motive to do evil, and no matter what emotions and overwhelming desires stir within your heart. You must lower your gaze and refrain from looking at forbidden things in all places and at all times. You cannot use excuses such as the environment being corrupt, or justify your mistakes by saying that you are surrounded by temptation.

7 – Doing a lot of voluntary acts of worship, because doing a lot of them whilst also regularly doing the obligatory acts of worship is a means of protecting one's physical faculties. According to a hadith qudsi (Divine), Allah said: “… and My slave continues to draw close to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. And when I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask (something) of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it.” (Al-Bukhari)

8 – Remembering that the earth on which sin is committed will bear witness for or against us. Allah says: “That Day it will declare its information (about all that happened over it of good or evil).” (Az-Zalzalah: 4)

9 – Bearing in mind some of the texts which forbid one from letting the gaze wander freely, such as the verse in which Allah says: “Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things).” (An-Nur: 30)

10 – Avoiding unnecessary looks, so that you only look at what is needed to look at, and you do not allow your gaze to wander right and left so that it falls upon something the effects and temptation of which cannot be got rid of quickly.

11 – Marriage is one of the most effective remedies. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Whoever can afford it, let him get married, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and in guarding one’s chastity. And whoever cannot afford it, let him fast, for it will be a shield for him.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

11 – Remembering al-hur al-`een (maidens in Paradise), which will motivate you to be patient in avoiding that which Allah has forbidden, hoping to obtain this blessing. Allah said: “Companions of equal age.” (An-Naba': 33) And the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "If a woman of the people of Paradise were to look out over the people of this earth, it would light up everything in between and fill it with fragrance, and the veil of her head is better than this world and everything in it.” (Al-Bukhari)

12 – Bearing in mind the shortcomings of the one who takes your attention and tempts you to look at her, and keep in mind the filth and waste material that is carried in the gut.

13 – Checking yourself from time to time and striving to make yourself lower your gaze whilst being patient, realizing that everyone makes mistakes.

14 – Thinking of the pain and regret that will result from this looking, and the negative effects of allowing one’s gaze to wander.

15 – Understanding the benefits of lowering one's gaze, as mentioned above.

16 – Bringing up this topic during meetings and gatherings, and explaining its dangers to others.

17 – Advising your relatives, telling them not to wear clothes that attract attention and show their beauty, such as how they dress, wearing bright colors, how they walk, speaking too softly, etc.

18 – Warding off passing thoughts and the whispers of Satan before they take hold and are acted upon. Whoever lowers his gaze after the first glance will be saved from innumerable problems, but if he continues to look he cannot be certain that seeds that will be difficult to remove, will not be planted in his heart.

19 – Being afraid of an evil end, and of a feeling of great regret at the point of death.

20 – Keeping the company of good people, because you are naturally affected by the characteristics of the people you mix with, and a person will follow the way of his close friend, and a friend will pull you to follow his way."

Allah Almighty knows best.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM

Threads Merged n Moved.

saidaharther
05-19-2006, 09:28 PM
oh masha allah jazak allah hayr sister
sometimes people think we are unusual when we look down when they talk, it makes it hard soemtimes to always look down but insha allah allah make it easy for us
amin
salama laikum

MinAhlilHadeeth
06-27-2006, 03:53 PM
The Great Virtue of Lowering the Gaze
Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

Allah, the Exalted said,

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their private parts; that will make for greater purity for them. Indeed Allah is well acquainted with all that they do." [an-Nur (24):30]

So Allah made purification and spiritual growth to be the outcome of lowering the gaze and guarding the private parts. It is for this reason that lowering ones gaze from (seeing) the prohibited things necessarily leads to three benefits that carry tremendous value and are of great significance.

The First: Experiencing the Delight and Sweetness of Faith

This delight and sweetness is far greater and more desirable that which might have been attained from the object that one lowered his gaze from for the sake of Allah. Indeed, "whosoever leaves something for the sake of Allah then Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, will replace it with something better than it."[1]

The soul is a temptress and loves to look at beautiful forms and the eye is the guide of the heart. The heart commissions its guide to go and look to see what is there and when the eye informs it of a beautiful image it shudders out of love and desire for it. Frequently such inter-relations tire and wear down both the heart and the eye as is said:

When you sent your eye as a guide
For your heart one day, the object of sight fatigued you
For you saw one over whom you had no power
Neither a portion or in totality, instead you had to be patient.

Therefore when the sight is prevented from looking and investigating the heart finds relief from having to go through the arduous task of (vainly) seeking and desiring.

Whosoever lets his sight roam free will find that he is in a perpetual state of loss and anguish for sight gives birth to love (mahabbah) the starting point of which is the heart being devoted and dependant upon that which it beholds. This then intensifies to become fervent longing (sabubah) whereby the heart becomes totally dependant and devoted to the (object of its desire). Then this further intensifies and becomes infatuation (gharamah) which clings to the heart like the one seeking repayment of a debt clings firmly to the one who has to pay the debt. Then this intensifies and becomes passionate love (ishk) and this is a love that transgresses all bounds. Then this further intensifies and becomes crazed passion (shaghafa) and this is a love that encompasses every tiny part of the heart. Then this intensifies and becomes worshipful love (tatayyuma). Tatayyum means worship and it is said: tayyama Allah i.e. he worshipped Allah.

Hence the heart begins to worship that which is not correct for it to worship and the reason behind all of this was an illegal glance. The heart is now bound in chains whereas before it used to be the master, it is now imprisoned whereas before it was free. It has been oppressed by the eye and it complains to it upon which the eye replies: I am your guide and messenger and it was you who sent me in the first place!

All that has been mentioned applies to the heart that has relinquished the love of Allah and being sincere to Him for indeed the heart must have an object of love that it devotes itself to. Therefore when the heart does not love Allah Alone and does not take Him as its God then it must worship something else.

Allah said concerning Yusuf as-Siddiq (AS),

"Thus (did We order) so that We might turn away from him all evil and indecent actions for he was one of Our sincere servants." [Yusuf (12): 24]

It was because the wife of al-Aziz was a polytheist that (the passionate love) entered her heart despite her being married. It was because Yusuf (AS) was sincere to Allah that he was saved from it despite his being a young man, unmarried and a servant.

The Second: The Illumination of the Heart, Clear Perception and Penetrating Insight

Ibn Shuja al-Kirmani said, "whosoever builds his outward form upon following the Sunnah, his internal form upon perpetual contemplation and awareness of Allah, he restrains his soul from following desires, he lowers his gaze from the forbidden things and he always eats the lawful things then his perception and insight shall never be wrong."

Allah mentioned the people of Lut and what they were afflicted with and then He went on to say,

"Indeed in this are signs for the Mutawassimin." [al-Hijr (15): 75]

The Mutwassimin are those who have clear perception and penetrating insight, those who are secure from looking at the unlawful and performing indecent acts.

Allah said after mentioning the verse concerning lowering the gaze,

"Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth." [an-Nur (24): 35]

The reason behind this is that the reward is of the same type as the action. So whosoever lowers his gaze from the unlawful for the sake of Allah, the Mighty and Magnificent, He will replace it with something better than it of the same type. So just as the servant restrained the light of his eye from falling upon the unlawful, Allah blesses the light of his sight and heart thereby making him perceive what he would not have seen and understood had he not lowered his gaze.

This is a matter that the person can physically sense in himself for the heart is like a mirror and the base desires are like rust upon it. When the mirror is polished and cleaned of the rust then it will reflect the realities (haqaaiq) as they actually are. However if it remains rusty then it will not reflect properly and therefore its knowledge and speech will arise from conjecture and doubt.

The Third: The Heart Becoming Strong, Firm and Courageous

Allah will give it the might of aid for its strength just as He gave it the might of clear proofs for its light. Hence the heart shall combine both of these factors and as a result, Shaytan shall flee from it. It is mentioned in the narration, "whosoever opposes his base desires, the Shaytan shall flee in terror from his shade."[2]

This is why the one who follows his base desires shall find in himself the ignominy of the soul, its being weak, feeble and contemptible. Indeed Allah places nobility for the one who obeys Him and disgrace for the one who disobeys Him,

"So do not lose heart nor fall into despair; for you must gain mastery if you are true in faith." [Ali Imran (3): 139]

"If any do seek for nobility and power then to Allah belongs all nobility and power." [Faatir (35): 10]

Meaning that whosoever seeks after disobedience and sin then Allah, the Might and Magnificent, will humiliate the one who disobeys Him.

Some of the salaf said, "the people seek nobility and power at the door of the Kings and they will not find it except through the obedience of Allah."

This is because the one who obeys Allah has taken Allah as his friend and protector and Allah will never humiliate the one who takes his Lord as friend and patron. In the Du`a Qunoot their occurs, "the one who You take as a friend is not humiliated and the one who You take as an enemy is not ennobled."[3]

Notes:

[1] Reported by Ahmad [5/363], al-Marwazi in "Zawaid az-Zuhd" [no. 412], an-Nasa'i in "al-Kubra" as mentioned in "Tuhfah al-Ashra" [11/199] from one of the Companions that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "indeed you will not leave anything for the sake of Allah except that Allah will replace it with something better than it." The isnad is saheeh.

[2] This is not established as a hadeeth of the Prophet .

[3] Reported by Abu Dawood [Eng. Trans. 1/374 no. 1420], an-Nasa'i [3/248], at-Tirmidhi[no. 464], ibn Majah [no. 1178], ad-Darimi [1/311], Ahmad [1/199], ibn Khuzaymah [2/151] from al Hasan from Ali (RA).

The hadith is sahih. The isnad has been criticised by many, however none of the criticisms hold. Refer to: "Nasb ar-Rayah"[2/125] and "Talkhis al-Habi" [1/247]

Snowflake
12-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Raheem

How to Lower our Gaze

Sabeel Ahmed
Islam662@cssn.net

When confronted with a luring situation, like passing by a non-mahram on the street, office, or a school, Satan is constantly tempting us to glare at her with evil thoughts. Satan is probably excitingly saying with a big smile `Yes', `Yes', `Yes', when we steer into the bait he is setting. During these situations immediately and consciously realize that when we give a second or following glances, we are obeying Satan. "O you who believe, follow not the footsteps of the devil..." (24:21). By immediately averting our gazes and disobeying Satan, we are giving him a one two punch in the face which leaves him frustrated, accursed and defeated.

Psychologically our minds are conditioned to associate our thoughts of stealing clothes from a store to being in handcuffs and hauled into a police van. Likewise, we should condition our minds to bring the verses of Surah Nur in front of our eyes during any tempting situation and imagine that during that particular instance Allah (SWT) is speaking to us directly: "Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty, that will make for greater purity for them...Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty...O you believers! Turn you all together towards Allah that you may attain success" (24:30,31). What a beautiful guidance and what a sublime reward for implementing it.

5/28/97

SOURCE:http://www.jannah.org/articles/gazelow.html

FBI
12-02-2006, 03:32 PM
simple answer look at the floor, anyqay jazzakallah for the article.

limitless
12-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Jazakallah for that. My gaze is lowered so I am good :) .

Hamas
04-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim

In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful

Lowering the gaze to prevent desire

"And warn them of the day that is drawing near (the Day of Resurrection), when the hearts will be choking the throats, and they can neither return them (hearts) to their chests nor can they throw them out. There will be no friend, nor an intercessor for the Oppressors, who could be given heed to. Allah (SWT) knows the treachery of the eyes and all that the hearts conceal." (Surah Ghaafir: Ayah 19)

One of the major poisons of the heart is the unrestrained glance towards the opposite sex. This results in the one who looks becoming attracted to what he sees, and in the imprinting of an image of what he sees in his heart. This can result in several kinds of corruption in the heart of the servant. Allah (SWT) commands:

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and protect their private parts. This is more purer for them. Indeed Allah is Well-Aware of what they do." (Surah Nur: 30)

"And those who guard their private parts save from their wives and those whom their right-hands own - so there is no blame upon them. Then whoever seeks beyond that (which is lawful), they are the transgressors." (Surah Al Mu'minoon : Verse 5 & 6)

Indeed the protection against carnal desires is in taqwaa (consciousness of Allah (SWT)) as was summarised by an Arab poet in the following couplet:

"Whenever you pass time any day do not say," I have passed time," but rather say, "Upon me is an observer," (i.e. Allah).

Never regard Allah to be unmindful for even a short while. That which is hidden never vanishes from His Sight."

Letting the gaze run loose also makes the heart blind to distinguishing between truth and falsehood, between the sunnah and innovation: while lowering it for Allah, the Mighty and Exalted, gives it a penetrating, true and distinguishing insight.

A righteous man once said: Whoever enriches his outward behaviour by following the sunnah, and makes his inward soul wealthy through contemplation, and averts his gaze away from looking at what is forbidden, and avoids anything of a doubtful nature, and feeds solely on what is halal- his inner sight will never falter.

Ibne Qayyim (rh) writes: "The gaze is the prowler and the messenger of desires. It's protection is, in reality, the protection of the private-parts. The person who does not control his gaze throws himself into the places of destruction. Allah (SWT) has made the eyes the mirror of the heart.

Benefits of lowering the gaze

Rasoolillah(SAW) said "The glance is a poisoned arrow of shaytaan. Whoever lowers his gaze for Allah, He will bestow upon him a refreshing sweetness, which he will find in his heart on the day he meets Him." [Mishkat]

Shaytan enters with the glance, for he travels with it, faster then the wind blowing through an empty place. He makes what is seen appear more beautiful then it really is, and transforms it in to an idol for the heart to worship. Then he promises it false rewards, lights the fire of desires within it, and fuels it with the wood of forbidden actions, which the servant would not have committed had it not been for this distorted image.

This distracts the heart and makes it forget its more important concerns. It stands between it and them; and so the heart loses it’s straight path and falls into the pit of desire and ignorance. Allah, Mighty and Glorious is He, says:

And do not obey anyone whose heart We have made forgetful in remembering Us – who follows his own desires, and whose affair has exceeded all bounds. [Surah al-Kahf: Ayah 28]

The unrestrained gaze causes all three afflictions. It has been said that between the eye and the heart is an immediate connection; if the eyes are corrupted, then the heart follows. It becomes like a rubbish heap where all the dirt and filth and rottenness collect, and so there is no room for love for Allah, relating all matters to Him, awareness of being in His presence, and feeling joy at His proximity - only the opposite of these things can inhabit such a heart.

Staring and gazing without restraint is disobedience to Allah:

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that is more purifying for them. Surely Allah is aware of what they do. [Surah an-Nur: Ayah 30]

Rasoolillah(SAW) also said "Allah (SWT) has cursed the person who looks at a non-mahram woman and the woman who is looked upon." [Mishkat]. Only the one who obeys Allah’s commands is content in this world, and only the servant who obeys Allah will survive in the next world.

Furthermore, letting the gaze roam free cloaks the heart with darkness,. Just as lowering the gaze for Allah clothes it in light. After the above ayah, Allah, the Glorious and Mighty, says in the same Surah of the Qur'an:

Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth; the likeness of His light is as if there were a niche, and in the niche is a lamp, and in the lamp is a glass, and the glass is as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil is well nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it. Light upon light. Allah guides whomsoever He wants to His light. Allah strikes metaphors for man: and Allah knows all things. [Surah an-Nur: Ayah 35]

When the heart is a light, countless good comes to it from all directions. If it is dark, then clouds of evil and afflictions come from all directions to cover it up.

Rasoolillah (SAW) said, “indeed you will not leave anything for the sake of Allaah except that Allaah will replace it with something better than it.” [Ahmad]

Seeds of desire planted by Shaytan

It is known that actions are originally thoughts which occur in the mind. These thoughts then turn into desires. Thereafter, these desires become firm intentions and, finally, these firm intentions are transformed into actions. From this you could conclude the importance of thoughts. If there is correctness of thoughts then desires and actions will be correct and, similarly, if there is corruption in thoughts then this will lead to evil desires and actions. According to a hadith, Allah (SWT) overlooks thoughts as long as these thoughts are not given practical expression.

There are five stages in thoughts viz.

- Haajis - This is a thought which in the beginning produces no reaction in the nafs.
- Khaatir - If one fails to eliminate the haajis thought and it establishes it's presence in the nafs but the nafs does not give it practical expression then this thought enters the Khaatir stage.

- Hadeethun nafs - In this stage the nafs ponders whether it should put into action or negate the thought which has established itself without giving preference to any side.

NB. The law regarding these three stages is that there is no punishment if the thought is evil and no reward if the thought is good.
- Hamm - In this stage the nafs partially inclines to one side (i.e. whether to commit or shun the act). In this stage reward is given if the thought is good and punishment if evil.

- 'Azm - In this stage a decision is made to give practical expression. Reward and punishment are applicable to this stage as well.

When the desires become uncontrollable they cause one to perpetuate some of the most heinous sins. It has been related by Hasan bin Arfah that Rasoolillah(SAW) said: "Seven persons are such that Allah will not look at them on the Day of Qiyaamah nor will He purify them nor will He include them amongst the learned and Allah will enter them into Jahannum. They will enter Jahannum first except for those who repent. As for those who repent Allah will accept their repentence.

A person who masturbates.

A person who performs the act of sodomy.

The person upon whom the act of sodomy is performed.

A perpetual drunkard

The person who hits his parents so much so that they appeal for help.

The person who harms his neighbours so much so that they curse him.

The person who commits adultery with his neighbour's wife." (Ibn Katheer: vol.5, pg.458)

Protective actions

How many people are there who know that their actions are forbidden yet they are too weak to abstain from it. For example, look at those who smoke cigarettes. In reality, we find most of them knowing the harms of smoking. Despite this if you address any smoker and remind him of its harms he will reply to you that he knows all this very well and desires to free himself of this "killer friend" but yet he is unable to do so. Why? Because he does not possess a firm intention by means of which he will be able to abandon this bad habit. For this reason if a person reads all the books on bad habits and comes to know of all the means which will free him from these bad habits but he does not possess a strong intention nor a firm will then he will not progress a step forward. Normally, the natural desire in man remains stable as long as it is not exposed to those scenes and sounds which incite it. When it finds a stimulating factor - whether sound or picture it is incited. At such an instance a person is forced to give practical expression to his desire. Therefore, it is necessary upon all of us to make an effort to develop our intentions, strengthen our resolutions and build our minds and souls by observing the following points:

To strive to acquire good character. Good character like knowledge, tolerance, patience are such that it is within a person's scope to acquire. Rasoolillah(SAW) has said:
"The person who seeks chastity, Allah (SWT) keeps him chaste. The person who seeks independence, Allah (SWT) makes him independent and the person who is patient Allah (SWT) grants him patience."

When a servant burdens himself with a firm intention and he strives to acquire it, it becomes his nature and character. Allah (SWT) says: "And those who strive in Our Way We will definitely guide them to Our Paths."

To inculcate good character gradually. Good character is not acquired all at once or by a little effort. To acquire good character it is necessary for a person to practice upon it gradually until it becomes his nature which he can do without any strain or inconvenience.

A person should realize the Greatness, Loftiness, Oneness and Independence of Allah (SWT). He should not rely on his own strength and power. He should rely only on Allah (SWT). Allah (SWT) says:
"Then when you have taken a decision, put your trust in Allah. And Allah (SWT) loves those who put their trust (in Him)."

The person who recognizes Allah (SWT) more will fear Him more. A person should develop within himself the Fear of Allah because this is the strongest means whereby he could oppose his desire. Allah (SWT) says:
"And as for him who feared to stand before his Lord and restrained his soul from lust, verily Jannah will be his abode." (Surah Al Naazi'aat: verse 40 & 41)

When the Fear of the Exalted is found in the heart of a person, forbidden desires are burnt and the perpetration of sin is stopped.

A person should increase his firm determination by abandoning comfort in some permissible matters so that his nafs could be strengthened in abandoning the prohibited things. For example, to strengthen one's determination, abstain from excessive soft-drinks, tea, sleeping etc. In this manner a person will become strong enough to abandon that which is more difficult. With regards to this a poet says:The nafs is like an infant, if you leave it, it will grow up with the love of suckling and if you wean it (accustom it to food other than it's mother's milk) it will abstain. Can we ever imagine a sahaba renting the latest hit from Blockbuster Videos, or listening to music with alluring lyrics at high volume?

Consider the lofty examples of the Saaliheen and Anbiya, for example, the incident of the Nabi of Allah, Yousuf (AS). It is an amazing and strange incident. All the means and requirements of temptation which had not gathered for anyone before, gathered for Yousuf (AS). He was an extremely handsome young slave who was still a bachelor. She (Zuleikha) was a lady of beauty and dignity. Yousuf (AS) was living in her house, etc. Despite all this Yousuf (AS) preferred the Pleasure and Fear of Allah (SWT) over all these temptations. He chose the prison instead of fornication. Allah (SWT) says: "He (Yousuf 'AS) said: "The prison is more beloved to me than that towards which they call me."

Contemplation - A person drowned in desires should reflect upon his condition after he has fulfilled and satisfied his desire. He should ask himself: Have I found the pleasure and comfort I am searching for after fulfilling my desire? It is the Wisdom of Allah (SWT) that whenever a Muslim fulfils a forbidden desire he feels unhappy, distressed, depressed, miserable and ashamed to such an extent that these feelings compel him to repent. Thus a sinner is afflicted with an unending sadness, misery and disgrace. Ibne Mubarak (RA) has said: "I have seen sins deadening the heart. It's addiction causes disgrace. The abandoning of sins is life for the hearts. It is best for you to oppose your nafs."

Hence an intelligent person will sacrifice temporary pleasure which results in unending misery for eternal pleasure.

Verily du'aa is the most beneficial treatment and it has many benefits especially when a person earnestly makes those du'aas which have been narrated from Rasoolillah(SAW) by sincerely turning towards Allah (SWT) and considering the times of acceptance. Allah (SWT) says: "Call Me and I will answer you." (Surah Ghaafir: verse 80)

Rasoolillah(SAW) said: "Verily your Lord is Modest and Kind. When a slave lifts both his hands towards Allah then He (Allah) feels shy to return them empty-handed and disappointed." (Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi)

Ibne Qayyim (rh) presents to us the condition of this person in a unique style. He says: "Such a person personally experiences himself to be like that boy who is in the protection of his father. His father provides him with the best of food, drink and clothes. He gives him the best training and causes him to progress to the degree of perfection. One day his father sends him on an errand. An enemy confronts him on his way, kidnaps him and ties his hands behind his back. He then takes him to a foreign land. Here he is inflicted with injuries and tortured. He is treated unlike how his father treated him. Hence from time to time he recalls the kind treatment of his father. Whenever he reflects on his condition it stirs a burning anguish in his heart. He remembers all that which he enjoyed before. His enemy finally decides to kill him. Suddenly he sees his father near him. He runs, throws himself and falls in front of his father seeking his help: "O My Father! Help me! O My father! Help me! O My father! Help me! Look at my condition." His tears roll down his cheeks. He embraces his father and clings to him while his enemy pursues him until he reaches him. The boy still clings and holds his father firmly. Now would you say that the father will hand over his son in this condition to the enemy? Will the father allow the enemy to take his son? Definitely not. So then what is your thought about that Being who is more Merciful on His slave than a father to his son. Allah will most certainly help and protect that slave who advances towards Him, flees from the enemy towards Him, throws himself in sajdah before His Door, rubbing his forehead upon the ground beneath His Door, crying before Him saying: "O My Rabb! O My Rabb! O My Rabb! Have Mercy. None can give shelter except Thee. None can aid except Thee. I am in need of Thee. I asked Thee. I am hopeful of Thee. You are the Place of Refuge and the Protector."

Remember the final abode

Ibne Jawzee (rh) has said: "How excellent is the condition of he who remembers death, prepares for his salvation before he dies, occupies himself in the service of his Master, advances from his worldly possession that which will aid him in the hereafter and inclines towards that house wherein there are eternal bounties and where the honoured are not disgraced.

O You whose life comprises of limited breaths and upon whom there is a recording supervisor! Do not forget death, for death will not forget you. Remember your condition, O Neglectful person! The day you will be turned on the wash stand between the hands of those giving you ghusl. On that day your strength will disappear and your wealth will be snatched away from you. You will be taken away from your friends, prepared for your grave, handed over to the worms and deposited between the graves. Thereafter, a few tears will be shed upon you and you will be forgotten. O Neglectful person! If it were known to us that none will die from amongst us except an unspecified person then too it is incumbent upon us not to allow our tears from ceasing to flow out of fear for death. So how should we behave when we are convinced that none will remain alive from amongst us.

Hence, fear Allah, fear Allah, O Servants of Allah! Prepare for death as if it has come upon you and your wives have become widows, your children orphans and you have been separated from your family and friends."

One Sahaabi was advised by Rasoolillah(SAW): "Remember death excessively, this will remove your inclination for other things." In another Hadeeth it is reported: "Remember death excessively. Whoever remembers death excessively his heart becomes alive and death becomes easy for him."

Rasoolillah(SAW) has said: "Excessively remember the destroyer of pleasures." (Tirmidhi, Nasa'i, Ibn Majah)

Ibrahim Taimi (rh) says: "Two things caused the termination of all worldly pleasures in me. Firstly death and secondly the concern of standing in front of Allah (SWT) on the Day of Qiyaamah." (Maut ki Yaad)

Rasulillah (SAW) has explained to us the importance of good, pious, sincere friends. Rasoolillah(SAW) said: "A person is on the religion of his friend. Hence, you should see who you befriend." (Abu Dawood, Tuirmidhi, Ahmad) In another Hadeeth it is reported that a pious companion is better than solitude. (Baihaqi)

Ibn Shujaa` al-Kirmaanee said, “whosoever builds his outward form upon following the Sunnah, his internal form upon perpetual contemplation and awareness of Allaah, he restrains his soul from following desires, he lowers his gaze from the forbidden things and he always eats the lawful things then his perception and insight shall never be wrong.”

The need for Tawbah (Repentance)

No sin should be magnified so much that it creates despair and loss of hope in the forgiveness of Allah (SWT) nor should it be treated so lightly that there is no tawbah nor any regret. Look at the Mercy of the Being Who is most Merciful of those who show mercy. A person continuously commits a sin and as soon as he repents he is forgiven and he becomes the beloved of Allah (SWT). It is reported in the Hadeeth that Rasulillah (SAW) said: "The person who repents from sin is the beloved of Allah and he becomes like those who have not committed any sin." (Ibne Majah)

However, it is necessary that the tawbah be a sincere one. Sincere tawbah consists of three essential parts.

Firstly, a person should feel ashamed of the sin he committed. It has been mentioned in the hadeeth: "To feel ashamed is tawbah."

Secondly, to immediately discard the sin committed and to resolve on abstaining from it in future.

Thirdly, to make amends, to compensate for the sin. If a person makes tawbah in this manner he becomes a favourite of Allah (SWT) despite the type or number of sins he committed.

Ibne Jauzi (rh) says: "By the Oath of Allah, a person's thirst to commit a sin will only be quenched when, despite having the ardent desire and capability to do it, realises that Allah (SWT) is looking at him, feels ashamed and, consequently, discards the sin."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.