/* */

PDA

View Full Version : An extract from Tafsir Ibn Kathir of Surah 88 Al-Ghashiyah

Umar001
12-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Assalamu Aleykum Wa Rhametulahi Wa Berekatu,

An extract from Tafsir Ibn Kathir of Surah 88 Al-Ghashiyah:

The Day of Judgement and what will happen to the People of the Fire during it Al-Ghashiyah is one of the names of the Day of Judgement.

This was said by Ibn `Abbas, Qatadah and Ibn Zayd. It has been called this because it will overwhelm the people and overcome them. Allah then says,

﴿وُجُوهٌ يَوْمَئِذٍ خَـشِعَةٌ ﴾

(Some faces that Day will be Khashi`ah.) meaning, humiliated. This was said by Qatadah. Ibn `Abbas said, "They will be humble but this action will be of no benefit to them.'' Then Allah says,

﴿عَامِلَةٌ نَّاصِبَةٌ ﴾

(Laboring, weary.) meaning, they did many deeds and became weary in their performance, yet they will be cast into a blazing Fire on the Day of Judgement. Al-Hafiz Abu Bakr Al-Burqani narrated from Abu `Imran Al-Jawni that he said, " `Umar bin Al-Khattab passed by the monastery of a monk and he said: `O monk!' Then the monk came out, and `Umar looked at him and began to weep. Then it was said to him: `O Commander of the faithful! Why are you weeping' He replied: `I remembered the statement of Allah, the Mighty and Majestic, in His Book,

﴿عَامِلَةٌ نَّاصِبَةٌ - تَصْلَى نَاراً حَامِيَةً ﴾

(Laboring, weary. They will enter into Fire, Hamiyah.) So that is what has made me cry. '''

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
12-06-2006, 04:20 AM
True. that really make's me sad.

snakelegs
12-07-2006, 04:16 AM
i've often wondered why is it so simple to revert to islam, merely by saying the shahadah?
i know it's easy to become a christian, but it isn't a whole way of life.
there is so much to learn in islam, shouldn't a person learn a few basic things (such as the 5 pillars, etc)?
islam is not as simple as it appears at first glance.
orthodox jews refuse to accept new converts until they have done some serious studying - i think they tell them to wait a year.
be interested in your thoughts.

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 04:19 AM
Well if the person died in that one year of study, he/she would have died as a non-Muslim and so could not enter paradise, right? As long as the person is sure that Islam is the true path, then they should go for it.

Some people converted to Islam just by listening to a few lines from the Quran being read at the time of the prophet! But I guess for them it was easier to accept because of their culture and stuff (for some of them anyway)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
12-07-2006, 09:05 AM
the point is, he becomes muslim immediately, makes the shahada 1-2-3.
maybe a week later he learns about the 5 pillars and thinks he can just ignore the command to pray 5 times a day.
or maybe she learns the next day that she must cover and decides it's not important.
what i'm trying to say is that it's easy to become a muslim, but what if, after a little further study, he finds some things he can not accept because they're too inconvenient, or some other reason.
so he completely rejects islam.
isn't his punishment even worse than it would've been had he remained whatever he was before?
the impression is that it's simple to become a muslim - just say the shahadah and presto! but it is not all that simple and there is a lot to learn.
after studying islam for awhile, then he is in a position to make an informed decision.
somewhere i read of a christian group who tries to convert muslims in muslim countries. they were asked, well, in these countries if a muslim becomes a christian he can be killed - doesn't this concern you. the answer was no, because even if they kill him, he will be saved from eternal ****ation (or something like that). i thought that was pretty bizarre.

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
But why on earth would a person want to become Muslim if they didn't know anything about it?! That doesnt make sense, of course they would know enough for them to want to become Muslim and to be convinced that it is the right path!

What right do we have to tell someone to get lost and that he cant become a Muslim becuase he has to have some kind fo waiting period? Why should time have anything to do with it? As long as the person is convinced, then go for it.

:)

snakelegs
12-07-2006, 09:23 AM
well, you do have a point there. :D
if the person learns some things that he cannot accept, after he has reverted, and rejects islam as a result - is his punishment worse than if he remained a died a kafir?

glo
12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
somewhere i read of a christian group who tries to convert muslims in muslim countries. they were asked, well, in these countries if a muslim becomes a christian he can be killed - doesn't this concern you. the answer was no, because even if they kill him, he will be saved from eternal ****ation (or something like that). i thought that was pretty bizarre.
Hi snakelegs

I think what's difficult for you as an agnostic to understand, is that for Christians (and Muslims for that matter) the afterlife is ultimately more important. Yes, this earthly life is wonderful and worth cherishing and being grateful for ... but ultimately it is the afterlife, the eternity in or out of God's presence, which matters more.

That's why many Christians and Muslims can accept suffering and hardship is this life - believing that it will lead to greater things in the afterlife ...

So, if somebody converts to the 'true religion' (let's keep aside any ideas on what that may be ...), and as a consequence suffers ridicule, persecution or even death threats, that's seen by many as just part of the way to salvation.

Peace

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
:sl:

I agree with Glo. Islamic history is full of Muslims who knew the risks but didn't give up because of it. People would actually announce themselves to be Muslims in public in the early days of Islam in a majority non-muslim society who hated the Muslims. As soon as they made the announcement, the non-Muslims around them would gang-up on them and bash them up to an inch from death, but to many of them it was worth it.

And then you have the companions who would go out to war wanting death, and someone of them would even return to their familes alive and their familes would be disappointed that they didnt die in the war, because they know that the reward for the martyr is great.

north_malaysian
12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Yes, this earthly life is wonderful and worth cherishing and being grateful for ...

This earthly life is heaven for disbelievers and hell for the believers

glo
12-07-2006, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
This earthly life is heaven for disbelievers and hell for the believers
Thank you for your contribution, north_malaysian.
How much do you, personally, value your earthly life? I am just asking because you describe it as 'hell'. That seems a strong word to use ...

Peace

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi Glo,

This is how the Prophet Muhammad pbuh explained it. He meant, compared to the believers home in paradise, this world is like hell (EDIT- he might have said a prison rather then hell, but same concept) , becasue they will love paradise soooo much more. However for the non-believer, this world is a paradise for him compared to the torment of the hell-fire.

YusufNoor
12-07-2006, 11:35 AM

Asalaamu alaikum,

i remembering hearing a lecture that the Prophet Muhammed's(PBUH) Umma will be half of the people that enter Paradise.

if that's so, doesn't that mean that close to half of the population will be non-Muslims??

are we told they will be Jews/Israelis and/or Christians somewhere?

I think what's difficult for you as an agnostic to understand, is that for Christians (and Muslims for that matter) the afterlife is ultimately more important. Yes, this earthly life is wonderful and worth cherishing and being grateful for ... but ultimately it is the afterlife, the eternity in or out of God's presence, which matters more.
my understanding is that we must see this life as not the "real life" at all. it's merely a "test" to see if we are willing to comply to standards set by Allah(SWT) to see if we are deserving of the REAL LIFE in Jannah!

therefore, our life here on Earth could be totally abysmal. but that would be OK, because that would be the life decreed for us by Allah(SWT). in fact, a "good life" with lots of blessings is also a test from Allah(SWT) to see what we do with all that is bestowed upon us!

the thing most "cherishable" thing in this life would be for Allah(SWT) to guide one to Islam and for one to accept it and follow it. all else is merely dust in the wind...

Peace

:w:

Yusuf

Umar001
12-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Oh man guys, I saw that this thread had 11 replies and I was like 'whoohooo' then I see that most are not much on the topic :p

Anyhow, the reason I posted this thread was to show or remind muslims that it's not a battle or a score board game type of conquest, it's not 'us' against 'them' or 'I got one more revert than that Christian' but it is actually a sad situation.
Also another motivation to post this was as to kind of remind t he Muslims who do have parents and loves ones who are not Muslims and that they worry about that it's ok to worry and it's ok to cry and so forth as those before us have done, and in the above case, cried for total strangers.

i've often wondered why is it so simple to revert to islam, merely by saying the shahadah?
i know it's easy to become a christian, but it isn't a whole way of life.
there is so much to learn in islam, shouldn't a person learn a few basic things (such as the 5 pillars, etc)?
islam is not as simple as it appears at first glance.
orthodox jews refuse to accept new converts until they have done some serious studying - i think they tell them to wait a year.
be interested in your thoughts.
Snakelegs, in an ideal situation a person would learn some parts of Islam, for example, once I was on a bus with some brothers, and some guys heard us talk about Islam and they came upto us and said 'when does the Mosque open' we we're like 'Erm, not sure why?' and he just said 'I want to become Muslim' so we spent that evening diverting out route to just take time to sit with them and a brother explained to one of them the pillars of Islam some do's and dont's and one became Muslim and the other said he would like to research into it abit.

So it is ideal that a person is at least taught a little bit, but in some situations the person might feel ready already and so you help that person become Muslim and then you would explain parts to him.

I think in alot of cases, people who are willing to accept Islam don't disagree with many of the points afterwards anyone when they have been explained to them properly.

format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

Asalaamu alaikum,

i remembering hearing a lecture that the Prophet Muhammed's(PBUH) Umma will be half of the people that enter Paradise.

if that's so, doesn't that mean that close to half of the population will be non-Muslims??

are we told they will be Jews/Israelis and/or Christians somewhere?
Wa aleykum salam,

What was Abraham? Muslim.

So we are now, from the time of Muhammad, peace be upon him, Muhammad's Ummah, those that he was sent to, we have him as our prophet and messenger and his law is what we use.

People before Muhammad, could have been Muslims, in the sense taht they obeyed and followed the right way. So followers of Moses who done good will be in paradise, so will be followers of Jesus and the list goes on.. Peace be upon them all.

Cheese - With regards to the hadeeth I have never seen it, not that earth is hell? I have heard that dunya is like a prison.

YusufNoor
12-07-2006, 11:54 AM

Oh man guys, I saw that this thread had 11 replies and I was like 'whoohooo' then I see that most are not much on the topic
*adds on topic reply*

well, personally, i weep more for the Umma of Islam...imsad

but if you're suggesting that we make extra du'as for our Christian brothers and sisters at their "special time of year"...why not! :happy:

Umar001
12-07-2006, 12:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

*adds on topic reply*

well, personally, i weep more for the Umma of Islam...imsad

but if you're suggesting that we make extra du'as for our Christian brothers and sisters at their "special time of year"...why not! :happy:

Yea but the Ummah, they wont go hell, well some might for abit, but I mean those who associate with Allah, they spend their whole life trying and twisting and turning and so on and then bam hell. I find that sad.

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 12:35 PM

^Well it only seems sad to us because we are humans and that is our limitation but Allah swt is Just and He is more mercyful then we could ever imagine and yet He still will put them in hell fire, so I guess He knows best what makes a person worthy of the fire.

May He protect us from it and Guide us to the right path!

Umar001
12-07-2006, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

^Well it only seems sad to us because we are humans and that is our limitation but Allah swt is Just and He is more mercyful then we could ever imagine and yet He still will put them in hell fire, so I guess He knows best what makes a person worthy of the fire.

May He protect us from it and Guide us to the right path!

Sister, we can still be sad and still understand that it is something deserved, I mean if my kid kills someone and so my kid is to be executed, I will of course know that he deserved it but I'd still be sad.

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 12:48 PM

I know, thats why I said: It might seem sad to us.

Umar001
12-07-2006, 12:51 PM

I know, thats why I said: It might seem sad to us.

It's not about 'seeming' sad, it is sad. I mean whether or not they deserve paradise thats something else, but it's still sad, in this world they spend their life fasting and sacrafising things, whilst other kafirs might have done everything they wanted, yet both will go hell, I understand the reason and the wisdom and that its something they deserve but sad none the less.

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 12:55 PM

Bro relax I'm not denying that it is sad to us!!!

But as sad as we might get in this life we will know the reality of it on the Day of Judgement...

there a hadith about prophet Ibraheem, anout how on the day of judgement he will say to Allah swt that didnt You promise to to dishonour me? what can be a greater dishonour then sending my father to hell fire or something like that... and Allah swt will reply by showing him his father in the form of hyena and he will realise that his dad was meant for hell and stuff...

so yeh... its sad and all, but we shouldnt let your sadness get in the way of the biggest picture...

Umar001
12-07-2006, 01:03 PM

Bro relax I'm not denying that it is sad to us!!!

But as sad as we might get in this life we will know the reality of it on the Day of Judgement...

there a hadith about prophet Ibraheem, anout how on the day of judgement he will say to Allah swt that didnt You promise to to dishonour me? what can be a greater dishonour then sending my father to hell fire or something like that... and Allah swt will reply by showing him his father in the form of hyena and he will realise that his dad was meant for hell and stuff...

so yeh... its sad and all, but we shouldnt let your sadness get in the way of the biggest picture...
Cheese man,

I didnt say that it was unfair or anything, I didnt say it was unjust. I'm just saying its very sad.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
:salamext:

i rememba when i was 16 i was talking to one o ma super practising bro's. and i asked him "dont you feel sry for those that go to hell... non muslims i mean", he said, "they only oppress themselves, Allah wants them saved but thats their fault, i will never feel sorry for anyone who rejects Allah swt".

Make dua'a for them sure but, why do they not accept the clear signs of the one whos sustaining them...

Pk_#2
12-07-2006, 01:15 PM
:'(

Lifes hard!,

so basically just be sad.

Peace :( :'(

Umar001
12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

i rememba when i was 16 i was talking to one o ma super practising bro's. and i asked him "dont you feel sry for those that go to hell... non muslims i mean", he said, "they only oppress themselves, Allah wants them saved but thats their fault, i will never feel sorry for anyone who rejects Allah swt".

Make dua'a for them sure but, why do they not accept the clear signs of the one whos sustaining them...
OH man, so are we now saying its wrong for 'Umar to have cried.

Come on, this thread is not to debate whether everyone gets a clear sign from Allah and whether people deserve going hell. Of course yes to both those questions. But the fact is that it is still a sad thing, for me personally, I see my mom day in day out working hard for praying, doing all sorts of things and then come Judgement day she'll have nothing. Am I debating as to whether that is right or wrong, NO, am just saying just as 'Umar cried then its ok for some of us to cry because it is a sad situation.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM

your right though it is sad, thats why i said "make dua'a for them, and why do they not accept the one who sustains them" :(

i keep thinking of the amount of times the prophet saws tried to revert Abu Jahl and his crew (hayatus sahabah) and each time they mocked him and he was so hurt...

- Qatada -
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM

The Prophet, sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam said: “Indeed I see what you do not see and hear what you do not hear. Heaven has groaned, and it has a right to do so. By Him in Whose Hand is my soul! There is not in heaven a space equivalent to four fingers, except that an angel has prostrated his forehead to Allaah in it. By Allaah! If you knew what I know, you would laugh little and weep a lot, and you would not take delight in women in their beds, but rather would go to the wilderness and implore Allaah for help.” [Hasan: Related by ibn Maajah (4190) and at-Tirmidhee (2/51)

Malaikah
12-07-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Cheese man,

I didnt say that it was unfair or anything, I didnt say it was unjust. I'm just saying its very sad.
Calm down! I understand perfectly what you mean. Yes it is a very sad and scary thought that people will live their lives thinking they are worshiping God when in reality they are paving their way to hell. It is very, very sad. And not only for the non-muslims, for the ignorant amongst the Muslims too. :cry:

I was simply trying to point out that the reason we feel sad is that, other than because Allah swt made us that way, we are limited in our understanding, judgement and wisdom.

But I know and understand totally, 100%, that yes it is very sad.

Malaikah
12-08-2006, 01:14 AM

Sorry if i offended you Eesa, very sorry, it wasnt my intention at all.:peace:

Umar001
12-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Calm down!

Sister, this is the second time you said this to me, am not :grumbling nor am I :rant: lol I've been calm well maybe like :giggling: or even a little like :heated: but I wasnt angry at you or anything. I think I just come across like that sometime, sorry if I did.

I was simply trying to point out that the reason we feel sad is that, other than because Allah swt made us that way, we are limited in our understanding, judgement and wisdom.

But I know and understand totally, 100%, that yes it is very sad.

I think I'll leave it here :p since I disagree to some point. ;D

Eesa.

Muslim Knight
12-08-2006, 01:40 AM
I understand what is meant by Eesa. If we read in seerah, the Prophet's own uncle whom he loved, Abu Talib, remained in his religion even to the last breath. This is remembered as the Year of Sadness.

You can imagine what Nabi feels when someone dear to him died in state of shirk. Sadness is allowed, but Allah reminded him that he's just a warner, and that faith is something that is entirely in Allah's control.

As a da'ie, I also feel sad when I couldn't get my non-Muslim friends convinced enough to convert to Islam. Some of them would make very good Muslims. But I understand that I cannot put faith in their hearts, I can only be a factor in multitudes of other factors. I must put trust in Allah's wisdom, and that He knows what I don't know. What has happened, must have happened for the best.

snakelegs
12-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Hi snakelegs
Peace
glo - you hit on it exactly. it is very difficult to grasp this concept and to really understand the enormous importance the afterlife has for those who believe in it.
probably people who don't believe in it are just as incomprehensible to those that do.

snakelegs
12-08-2006, 03:28 AM

I agree with Glo. Islamic history is full of Muslims who knew the risks but didn't give up because of it. People would actually announce themselves to be Muslims in public in the early days of Islam in a majority non-muslim society who hated the Muslims. As soon as they made the announcement, the non-Muslims around them would gang-up on them and bash them up to an inch from death, but to many of them it was worth it.

And then you have the companions who would go out to war wanting death, and someone of them would even return to their familes alive and their familes would be disappointed that they didnt die in the war, because they know that the reward for the martyr is great.
you and glo are right. i can not understand this.

snakelegs
12-08-2006, 03:37 AM
eesa,
i'm sorry for de-railing your thread.
you are a very special person, very compassionate.
god bless you.

chris4336
12-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Eesa I think it's extremely sad. I don't know if this will make much sense, but it seems like a big part of being a Muslim is the idea that those not on the straight path will be punished. Well maybe not a big part but you know what I mean. Because it's kind of like why bother even practicing the religion if you are not going to be punished/rewarded in the hereafter? So you kind of have to believe that your family is going to be punished. This is so sad it brings tears to my eyes.

I also believed for awhile that those who did not understand Islam and therefore did not accept it would be forgiven by God on the last day. I'm not so sure if that is truely a teaching of Islam, but surely a teaching of Islam is that God is the most perfect judge.

I know I should be worrying about my own salvation, but I guess we all are guilty of thinking about our families too much sometimes because we love them. I'm scared for me, but also really scared for them. So to answer your question yes its sad, I think its really really sad and hard, and something that I know I personally cannot stand to think about too much.

chris4336
12-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Okay just want to add this that that saddest part of all is that those in my family are truly worshipping God the best way they know how. Do you know what I mean? They are honestly doing the best they can, and its so sad to think they might be punished for this.

Malaikah
12-08-2006, 04:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by chris4336
I also believed for awhile that those who did not understand Islam and therefore did not accept it would be forgiven by God on the last day. I'm not so sure if that is truely a teaching of Islam, but surely a teaching of Islam is that God is the most perfect judge.
Hi Chris,

You can find some answers to this here: http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...onmuslims.html

Umar001
12-08-2006, 04:33 AM

Okay just want to add this that that saddest part of all is that those in my family are truly worshipping God the best way they know how. Do you know what I mean? They are honestly doing the best they can, and its so sad to think they might be punished for this.
The main question I am understanding is, will Allah punish those who were sincere?

The answer from what I understand is that all that will be in hell will have had messengers and known about those messengers:

SHAKIR: Almost bursting for fury. Whenever a group is cast into it, its keeper shall ask them: Did there not come to you a warner?

SHAKIR: They shall say: Yea! indeed there came to us a warner, but we rejected (him) and said: Allah has not revealed anything, you are only in a great error.

SHAKIR: And they shall cry therein for succour: O our Lord ! take us out, we will do good deeds other than those which we used to do. Did We not preserve you alive long enough, so that he who would be mindful in it should mind? And there came to you the warner; therefore taste; because for the unjust, there is no helper.

I have heard other hadeeth too, but this kind of shows that noone will go into the fire unless a Prophet or Messenger is given to them and they rejected him, Islam should also have been presented properly.

Umar001
12-08-2006, 04:39 AM
eesa,
i'm sorry for de-railing your thread.
Ameen to your dua and no worries its producing nice discussion so am happy.

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-08-2006, 05:49 AM

Some more verses to contemplate....

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَى أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ
وَأَنِيبُوا إِلَى رَبِّكُمْ وَأَسْلِمُوا لَهُ مِن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَكُمُ الْعَذَابُ ثُمَّ لَا تُنصَرُونَ
وَاتَّبِعُوا أَحْسَنَ مَا أُنزِلَ إِلَيْكُم مِّن رَّبِّكُم مِّن قَبْلِ أَن يَأْتِيَكُمُ العَذَابُ بَغْتَةً وَأَنتُمْ لَا تَشْعُرُونَ
أَن تَقُولَ نَفْسٌ يَا حَسْرَتَى علَى مَا فَرَّطتُ فِي جَنبِ اللَّهِ وَإِن كُنتُ لَمِنَ السَّاخِرِينَ
أَوْ تَقُولَ لَوْ أَنَّ اللَّهَ هَدَانِي لَكُنتُ مِنَ الْمُتَّقِينَ
أَوْ تَقُولَ حِينَ تَرَى الْعَذَابَ لَوْ أَنَّ لِي كَرَّةً فَأَكُونَ مِنَ الْمُحْسِنِينَ
بَلَى قَدْ جَاءتْكَ آيَاتِي فَكَذَّبْتَ بِهَا وَاسْتَكْبَرْتَ وَكُنتَ مِنَ الْكَافِرِينَ
{ Say: O My servants who have sinned against themselves, never despair of God's mercy. Behold, God forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful. And turn in repentance to your Lord and submit to Him before there comes upon you a punishment, for then there will be none to help you. And follow the best of God's revelations to you (the Qur'an) before there comes upon you a sudden punishment while you percieve it not.

Lest any soul should say, "Alas! I neglected my duty towards God and I was of those who scoffed at the revelations." Or lest he should say, "If only God had granted me guidance, I would surely have been amongst the righteous." Or lest he might say upon seeing the punishment, "If only I had just one more chance so that I could be among those who do good!"

But certainly, there came to you my revelations, but you denied them and were arrogant, and became amongst the disbelievers. }

(Qur'ân 39:53-59)

O Allah, do not make us amongst those who turn away from your revelations and are overwhelmed with regret on the Day of Judgement!

north_malaysian
12-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi Glo,

This is how the Prophet Muhammad pbuh explained it. He meant, compared to the believers home in paradise, this world is like hell (EDIT- he might have said a prison rather then hell, but same concept) , becasue they will love paradise soooo much more. However for the non-believer, this world is a paradise for him compared to the torment of the hell-fire.
This is what I meant...

Umar001
12-08-2006, 12:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
This is what I meant...
Yes, I think it is prison.

I don't see how this earth could be like hell, and never seen that hadeth. :p

glo
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Given that life is a God-given gift to us all, and he has provided us with physical bodies and five senses to experience this world, how much allowance does Islam make for 'physical enjoyment'?

Having to view life as a prison or even hell doesn't seem to do justice to God's precious gift!
I would say that life is wonderful - and it even gets better in the afterlife! :)

Peace

- Qatada -
12-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Given that life is a God-given gift to us all, and he has provided us with physical bodies and five senses to experience this world, how much allowance does Islam make for 'physical enjoyment'?

Having to view life as a prison or even hell doesn't seem to do justice to God's precious gift!
I would say that life is wonderful - and it even gets better in the afterlife! :)

Peace

Allaah has allowed us to dwell in this life and has created for us many things to enjoy, such as wealth, spouses, children etc. He has created all of this so we can reflect upon them, and also so we can enjoy them for a temporary amount of time. He has forbidden us from certain things which will be harmful to us, and/or also harmful to others.

We have a right to enjoy these blessings, but one shouldn't get too attatched to them because the person may prefer these over the life of the hereafter, which may lead them to give up their faith/salvation in order to get the temporary joys of this world.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said:

“The world is a prison for a believer and paradise for a disbeliever.”

(Mishkaat pg. 439; Me’raaj)

(1) Just as a prisoner is bound to the strict rules and regulations of the prison, similarly, a believer is bound to the strict rules and regulations of Shari’ah.

A prisoner regards the life out of prison having no restrictions as paradise. Similarly, a disbeliever in this world is out of prison (not adhering to the rules and regulations of Shari’ah). Therefore, his free life in this world is like paradise. However, the life of this prisoner (adhering to Shari’ah) is filled with peace and tranquillity as opposed to the free person (disbeliever) who life is filled with grief and agony.

(2) The world is a prison to the believer in comparison to the great rewards he will earn in the eternal hereafter. Similarly, the world is a paradise to a disbeliever in comparison to the eternal punishment of the hereafter.

http://www.islam.tc/ask-imam/hadith.php?number=3

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-08-2006, 02:11 PM

Peace

Hey Glo , peace n all that lol

this worlds a simple place for tests and trials, we fail, we go hell, we pass we go heaven. As for the enjoyments then Allah has allowed us to have wives and children and eat of his fruits, his allowed us to drink and laugh. SubhanAllah, just the other day i was out wiv a few brothers at an islamic event and we had much fun Alhamdulillaah.

hope that helps in answering even though fi-sab has given a brilliant reply :)

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 04:30 AM
Hi Glo.

In addition to the great replies already given, the key words in my reply was compared to. So compared to paradise, this world is like a prison. And of course it would be, when you consider that Allah swt has prepared for the believers 'what no eye has ever seen' etc. In earth we have so much restraints, but in paradise we can have whatever we want.

That doesnt mean that we have to feel like we are in a prison lol. But no one can deny that this life has hardships whereas paradise does not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.