/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "St". paul and Poppea

جوري
12-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Does anyone know the extent of Paul's relationship to Poppea-- the woman who supposedly was behind Nero's burning down Rome... I reckon Ninth scribe has some details about this? I read about it recently in passing with not great details... need an insightful analysis of a historian......
thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-04-2006, 02:15 AM
As far as I know any relationship with St. Paul is pure speculation. Tacitus, which is a good source of information on Nero, alleges that Poppea influenced Nero to blame Christians for the Rome fire. Nero supposedly had Christians fed to dogs and lions. Poppea is also credited with convincing Nero to murder his first wife, Octavia. I use doubtful language because all of this stuff is highly dramatized. As for any relationship with St. Paul, I haven't come across any credible account of such a thing.

جوري
12-04-2006, 05:39 AM
I believe early xtians were tortured.. there are accounts on how early xtians were treated in the QUran.. suret Al kahf actually speaks of those who took refuge in the cave seeking sanctuary of G-D from the torture inflicted by roman emperors... so I take the Quran as a very accurate account of what happened given both the source and the date--

I don't however share modern christian view of St. Paul.... I don't know what his intentions were, I have no reason to believe they were noble...

still curious about paul's relationship with her from a historical not a religious account...
thanks for your reply though
peace

Keltoi
12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I was speaking from a historical view, and I haven't come across any account of a supposed relationship between Poppea and St. Paul. Much of this is simply dramatic flair due to the opera and the theater plays that have been written on the subject.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.