/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A little wave pushed Yusuf Islam, once Cat Stevens, to Islam

Yasmine018
12-04-2006, 11:31 AM
:sl:

MAsha Allah, a wonderful news :D

YUSUF ISLAM

captsgervn29031206205406photo00photodefault 512x354?x180&ampy124&ampsigwosLWi5D4a45TTilqqQVMA   -

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Yusuf Islam, formerly the pop star Cat Stevens, said that a small wave literally washed him ashore and pushed him toward Islam, in an interview with CBS television.

Islam, who recently released his first commercial album in nearly three decades, "An Other Cup" said that he got caught in a current off Malibu beach in California in 1975 and prayed for help.

"Suddenly I was petrified. I thought this might be it," he said. "I said, 'God, if you save me, I'll work for you.'"

"And then a little wave, you know, came behind me," he said. "It wasn't very big. But it was that miraculous moment when suddenly the tide was going in my favor."

The singer, now 58, said he was already on a spiritual quest, but that the frightening swim gave him a push. He read a copy of the Koran given to him by his brother. Two years later he converted to Islam, changed his name and ended his career as a pop singer.

Islam made headlines in 2004 when a US-bound plane he was in was diverted due to post-September 11 security measures.

As Stevens, the singer had several hits in the 1970s, including "Wild World," "Moonshadow" and "Father and Son." But early reviews of his new album have not been enthusiastic.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
akuokay
12-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I admire his courage.
I'm not sure if guys already watch the documentary video of Yusuf Islam.
I accidently found it at youtube, (JazakAllahu khair to the uploader)

Interview
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
myspace

glo
12-05-2006, 12:49 PM
I heard him speak about his conversion in a Sunday morning religious radio programme.
A great guy. :)

Peace

akuokay
12-05-2006, 01:05 PM
yeah.. he is a real great man.
every lyrics of his songs deliver are strong messages (in spiritual side and bring peace to the world).
one of my fav track (i'm not sure which album) is "The Wind".
when it goes like these:

"I've swam upon the devil's lake
But never never never
I'll never make the same mistake
No never never never"

yeah. i'm agree with most of opnion, he has lot more than a just few good songs.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.