/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Americans Are Boring'

England
12-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Gwyneth Paltrow has sparked a backlash in her native US by branding her fellow Americans uncivilised and boring.

The Shakespeare In Love Oscar-winner said people in her adopted country were far more interesting.

The 34-year-old, who lives in London with musician husband Chris Martin, was quoted as saying: "I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology."

She told Portuguese newspaper Diario De Noticias: "The British are much more intelligent and civilised than the Americans.

"I love the English lifestyle. It's not as capitalistic as America. People talk about interesting things at dinner - not about work and money."

The Californian-born star's comments sparked anger in the US, with radio and TV shows bombarded by furious callers, according to the Daily Mirror.

One caller said: "She sounds like she thinks she's better than us. She should stay across the Atlantic. We don't need her."

Another said: "If she feels that way we are much better off without her."

In the interview, Paltrow also claimed that having Madonna as a neighbour was another advantage of living in London.

She said of the singer: "Madonna's like an older sister. Everything I've gone through, she had 10 times worse and 10 times longer.

"She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself."

Awwwww shocks! :giggling:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dahir
12-04-2006, 11:22 PM
I hadn't realized that it was so boring here. I don't see what's so boring about certain places, is it the name 'America' that invokes a dry and slow image?

I'm confused..:confused:

Is Gwyneth equating savagery to boredom? I thought savagery was all the rage these days? Are the elderly more fun than the youth? Has intelligence gained momentum in the party scene?

I'm confused..:confused:

limitless
12-04-2006, 11:50 PM
:sl:

No offense, but England is boring. Simply because it is small, tiny island, and the word England, Britain, or United Kingdom sounds to me; like monarchy system of King and Queen. America (USA) has a pretty excellent democratic system and very modern.

It is America with hollywood and its amazing interesting movies; not that I watch them anymore. In short, all the entertainment and most of the technology is from America. Shakespear is the most boring english person ever; Arthur Miller's plays are interesting and very exciting plays to read and enjoy.

:w:

Erundur
12-04-2006, 11:55 PM
Gwyneth can stay in England all she wants, just how Michael Jackson can stay in Bahrain, if they do not want to stay then they can leave, I mean it took us nearly two decades to get rid of Madonna.:giggling:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KAding
12-05-2006, 12:05 AM
America is quite diverse, seems a bit of a sweeping statement.

Woodrow
12-05-2006, 12:12 AM
At least it is one of the nicer things we get called

snakelegs
12-05-2006, 12:13 AM
who cares what some famous celebrity thinks about america?
not me.

M2A^AKIB^
12-05-2006, 12:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

No offense, but England is boring. Simply because it is small, tiny island, and the word England, Britain, or United Kingdom sounds to me; like monarchy system of King and Queen. America (USA) has a pretty excellent democratic system and very modern.

It is America with hollywood and its amazing interesting movies; not that I watch them anymore. In short, all the entertainment and most of the technology is from America. Shakespear is the most boring english person ever; Arthur Miller's plays are interesting and very exciting plays to read and enjoy.

;D it is hardly the size of Texas....

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-05-2006, 12:47 AM
LOL who cares? since when did anyone take a blonde seriously :D

Woodrow
12-05-2006, 12:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ya Mustafa
;D it is hardly the size of Texas....
UK= 93,788 square miles

State of Texas is 267,277 square miles

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-05-2006, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
UK= 93,788 square miles

State of Texas is 267,277 square miles

Anybody mentions Texas they got Uncle woody to answer to ;D

Texas sure is a massive place :uuh: makes sense why they fly to one part to another.

syilla
12-05-2006, 01:11 AM

i thought america is a great place to shop...well in my case that is not boring :D

Muslim Knight
12-05-2006, 01:25 AM
I love America. I hope it gets Islamized very soon!

Truthfully, I love about this country I just imagined and wrote down.

*noor
12-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Who's she trying to kid?? How could it be boring here when its one of the most diverse places in the world? especially here in New York....you know what they say...only the boring get bored easily! :okay:

Malaikah
12-05-2006, 01:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
At least it is one of the nicer things we get called
That is so true lol ;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-05-2006, 01:48 AM
LOL! "The boring get bored easily."
I second that :D

zanjabeela
12-05-2006, 02:25 AM
"The boring get bored easily" and are boring to boot. How could cold, rainy, dreary, gray England possibly be more more interesting. Who cares, Gwyneth. Go tell it to the Queen! :D

BlissfullyJaded
12-05-2006, 02:36 AM

I doubt England is boring, but America being boring?! Thats a weird statement. :-\

"Madonna's like an older sister. Everything I've gone through, she had 10 times worse and 10 times longer.
Scary. Having that woman as a big sister figure is simply disturbing.

Zone Maker
12-05-2006, 02:36 AM

………:hmm: Is it me or is the thread turning into a thread for insulting England.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah
Scary. Having that woman as a big sister figure is simply disturbing.

Lol, i guess some are attracted by Madonna. Not that id ever be :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Skakeen
Lets hope not lol :)

Woodrow
12-05-2006, 02:45 AM

Americans, Canadians and Aussies have a long ongoing friendly rivalry towards the Brits. We constantly poke fun at each others accents and stuff. Plus we enjoy reminding them that they used to own us but we broke away. Well, the Canadians and Aussies haven't but they are so far seperated nobody ever thinks of them as being Brits.

zanjabeela
12-05-2006, 03:10 AM
We only pick on them out of love. Its like a loving bout of sibling rivalry :) Same as how Gwyneth did :D

Skillganon
12-05-2006, 03:31 AM
Is this thread an ENGLISH vs AMERICAN thread. If so it will be better of me not to make comment's on americans. LOL.

Woodrow
12-05-2006, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Is this thread an ENGLISH vs AMERICAN thread. If so it will be better of me not to make comment's on americans. LOL.
LOL Don't worry we know you only would say stuff like that because you love us. remember, I'm a Texas, I get to poke fun at Americans too.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Im from New York. You can poke fun at us too :D lol

Asyur an-Nagi
12-05-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm from Jakarta. don't even try to poke fun at me:D:D:D:D

well, i think boring or no boring is just a mental imagery of someone towards an object. if she thought Americans are boring, it's just her.

i think talking about who is boring and who is not, is a 'boring' example at its' finest.

Muezzin
12-05-2006, 10:40 AM
This is hilarious. The fact that certain people in that radio show got so up in arms about it is even funnier.

I mean, if people said the British are boring, reserved and only laugh at cruel sarcastic jokes - I'd find that funny too, because it's true!

It's like a Chuck Palanhiuk novel come to life.

format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
No offense, but England is boring.
I live here, imagine how I feel :p

Simply because it is small, tiny island, and the word England, Britain, or United Kingdom sounds to me; like monarchy system of King and Queen.
Dude, England is not an island. Britain is an island. It's a constitutional monarchy, meaning in practice the Queen can do precisely - zip. Also, have you ever visited the place?

America (USA) has a pretty excellent democratic system and very modern.
Well, I've been to Florida and I liked it. Better weather, bigger people, HUGE portions of food (I could have bathed in one of those McDonald's paper cups) and Disneyworld.

I still like Britain, even though it's grey and cold and sarcastic.

Ninth_Scribe
12-05-2006, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
"I love the English lifestyle. It's not as capitalistic as America. People talk about interesting things at dinner - not about work and money."
What a b----! Well, it's easy to have interesting conversation at dinner parties when you surround yourself with economically privileged aristobrats who have never had to worry about the cost for these she-she shebangs. What I got from her commentary is: We're all so rich, we don't even have to think about money, much less talk about it. I'm surprized she hasn't told us how to create peace in the Middle East too, but they're probably so rich, they don't need to think about those problems either, much less talk about them. I mean, It would just spoil the whole evening!

Well, Gwyneth, you just pose yourself into your corner and admire your Erte Alphabet. Call it your 'safe-ground'.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
12-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Of course not. America and England resonate to lots of things, the most notorious being, comedy. ;)

Gwyneth was just ~ well, last week was the build up to one heavy-duty full moon... nuff said :Evil:

Ninth Scribe

England
12-05-2006, 07:24 PM
And the British created the U.S Special forces, the Australians and New Zealanders making their version of a British SAS. Things do change :D

The people that are claiming "England is boring" have you been to Salisbury, Blackpool, or even England itself?

I've never been to England but it's boring!

Referring to the accent I went to New York which was one of the worst I've been to, I hate shopping. The Americans LOVED mine and my sister's accents. One gal kept staring whilst I was talking so I am absolutely proud of my accent, nationality and my country, apart from the political crap of immigration etc.

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green
And was the holy lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen

And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills
And was Jerusalem builded there
Among those dark Satanic mills

Bring me my bow (my bow) of burning gold
Bring me my arrows of desire
Bring me my spears o'clouds unfold
Bring me my chariot of fire

I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my (my) sword sleep in hand
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

Durrah
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
The Americans LOVED mine and my sister's accents. One gal kept staring whilst I was talking so I am absolutely proud of my accent, nationality and my country, apart from the political crap of immigration etc.
You know what, americans lurve our accents! Honestly, i mean New York is a global metraplotian city with many different nationalities so many people are not really suprised to hear an english accent, but seriously go to other states in the U.S, where tourism is not as global as New York and were english/british person is rare and you will have all the girls/guys hanging on your every word :D

Its all them hugh grant films they've been watching and shakspere films :giggling: . Many tend to assume that we all speak queen's english over here.

My friend who's british (but african orgin), she lives in America (she maried to an american) and simple, trival things such as getting grocery shopping will always brings about attention. She said, as soon as she opens her mouth they're all like: 'OMG where are you from? your british? thats soo neat.'

and they sorta sit there and listen to her accent and some have even asked her silly random things so as to keep her talking and they can hear her accent more :giggling:

My friend would disagree with Paltrow's statment compleatly. I asked her how americans compared to brits (well more specifically the english) and she said americans rocked, were totally friendly and down to earth people and that americans treated her better and were far more welcoming to her in america and helping her to adapt to america than in britian, even though shes british.

bint_muhammed
12-05-2006, 09:18 PM
a country is what you make it to be! lol just made it up! england sounds boring (crappy weather) gotta admit and america sounds really shallow (hollywood). oh well no country is perfect!

Durrah
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Yea your right about british weather. It's poor to say the least.

But you know what, as much as britian/england has its down points, i miss the old girl when im away and can't wait to get my feet back in heathrow/gatwick (and greeted by the usual rain).

I mean i could move to any country in the world but deep down, i'd always miss england, the underground station (i wouldnt miss the lateness), the people. You know what they say: home is where the heart is and my heart always comes back to here no matter how far i go in this world :) I find myself even to the point where in my dreams, my mind is filled with city, the town and streets i was raised up in, the people i grew up with. The memories come flooding back and things i havent thought about in years, re-appears to the surface again. It comes to me everytime i leave for off shores.

England maybe crappy to the rest of the world, but its those crappy qualities that we brits end up looking fondley back on when we're elsewhere.

England
12-05-2006, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Durrah
You know what, americans lurve our accents! Honestly, i mean New York is a global metraplotian city with many different nationalities so many people are not really suprised to hear an english accent, but seriously go to other states in the U.S, where tourism is not as global as New York and were english/british person is rare and you will have all the girls/guys hanging on your every word :D

Its all them hugh grant films they've been watching and shakspere films :giggling: . Many tend to assume that we all speak queen's english over here.

My friend who's british (but african orgin), she lives in America (she maried to an american) and simple, trival things such as getting grocery shopping will always brings about attention. She said, as soon as she opens her mouth they're all like: 'OMG where are you from? your british? thats soo neat.'

and they sorta sit there and listen to her accent and some have even asked her silly random things so as to keep her talking and they can hear her accent more :giggling:

My friend would disagree with Paltrow's statment compleatly. I asked her how americans compared to brits (well more specifically the english) and she said americans rocked, were totally friendly and down to earth people and that americans treated her better and were far more welcoming to her in america and helping her to adapt to america than in britian, even though shes british.
I've thought about doing that, going to the a part in the US where there is no tourism for the gals. They definately find the accent irresistable and alot of American males are jealous of that.

As for the "English weather" it doesn't rain as much as people make out. It can go months without raining, it's warmer than it used to be which would explain the exotic sea creatures moving into British waters.
No matter what I too would miss England. I've been to Greece, I liked it but in the 2nd week, despite the sun, despite the jet skiing, swimming, snorkling etc, I started to miss home. I missed the people back home and the country. My parents are moving to Spain in 2 years time when my mum finishes her course. They offered to move out there with them. I turned it down because I know that I would want to be back here after 2 weeks there.

Woodrow
12-05-2006, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya_Giney
a country is what you make it to be! lol just made it up! england sounds boring (crappy weather) gotta admit and america sounds really shallow (hollywood). oh well no country is perfect!
Reminds me of the Man who because of his job had to move from New York City, NY to Montreal, Canada. He arrived up in Montral. Wandered around the city looking at the sites when he came across an old man sitting on his porch. He went up to the old man and told him that was having to move to Montreal and he wanted to know what it was like. The old man asked him what it was like where he lived he answered.

"Absolutly wonderfull. the scenary is beautiful, the people are the nicest friendliest in the world. You never hear an improper word and the people are of the highest charecter. I love it there and really hate to leave"

The old man answered.

"Don't worry, you will love it here that is exactly what we have here. In a few days you will feel like you had never left New York You will find the very same type of people here"

A few days later another man was being transfered from New York to Montreal. He did the same thing he wandered around came across the same old man and told him his story. The old man asked him what was life like in New York and he answered.

"It was terrible. The city stinks the people are all thieves, you can't trust anybody they are all gossips and back biters. I am glad to get out of that cesspool"

The old man answered "It isn't going to do you any good. It is exactly the same here."

Durrah
12-05-2006, 09:58 PM
I've thought about doing that, going to the a part in the US where there is no tourism for the gals. They definately find the accent irresistable and alot of American males are jealous of that.

As for the "English weather" it doesn't rain as much as people make out. It can go months without raining, it's warmer than it used to be which would explain the exotic sea creatures moving into British waters.
No matter what I too would miss England. I've been to Greece, I liked it but in the 2nd week, despite the sun, despite the jet skiing, swimming, snorkling etc, I started to miss home. I missed the people back home and the country. My parents are moving to Spain in 2 years time when my mum finishes her course. They offered to move out there with them. I turned it down because I know that I would want to be back here after 2 weeks there.
Trust me, even going to somewhere like Chicago, which has alot of visitors and torisum, you will still have many american females on the palm of your hand ;D But word of warning, gun ownership is legal in america and if you screw up with their girls, im sure those american fathers will be shoving those guns up you know where! :D

Your right about the weather though. It doesnt rain as much during the months has it used to, but on the occasions when it does rain, the rainfall i believe is much heaveir then what it used to be. Global warming has played a part of the havoc of our weather at the moment, what with all the tornado's, freak summers etc..

yea, i can see why you wouldnt move to spain. I mean its nice for holiday but living there permanatly is different and ever though they're europeans, its still a massive cultural shock. What will you do though when your parents leave? Are you old enough to support yourself or with live friends/siblings? Its kinda scary and lonely being alone and parents being in another country.

England
12-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Trust me, even going to somewhere like Chicago, which has alot of visitors and torisum, you will still have many american females on the palm of your hand ;D But word of warning, gun ownership is legal in america and if you screw up with their girls, im sure those american fathers will be shoving those guns up you know where! :D

Your right about the weather though. It doesnt rain as much during the months has it used to, but on the occasions when it does rain, the rainfall i believe is much heaveir then what it used to be. Global warming has played a part of the havoc of our weather at the moment, what with all the tornado's, freak summers etc..

yea, i can see why you wouldnt move to spain. I mean its nice for holiday but living there permanatly is different and ever though they're europeans, its still a massive cultural shock. What will you do though when your parents leave? Are you old enough to support yourself or with live friends/siblings? Its kinda scary and lonely being alone and parents being in another country.
I'm 21 years old. There are plenty of people my age that live on their own. The only difference is that I will have to be more sensible with my money and become more responsible which I'm more than capable of.
If I moved to Spain I wouldn't take it seriously. It would feel like a holiday. I like the way Spain is run politically.

Skillganon
12-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm 21 years old. There are plenty of people my age that live on their own. The only difference is that I will have to be more sensible with my money and become more responsible which I'm more than capable of.
If I moved to Spain I wouldn't take it seriously. It would feel like a holiday. I like the way Spain is run politically.
I have been to spain for holiday. The life is is much easier than here in Britain. Also the weather is a Big Pluss.

England
12-05-2006, 10:36 PM
I have been to spain for holiday. The life is is much easier than here in Britain. Also the weather is a Big Pluss.

But I would still miss England no matter how good it is.

Durrah
12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Your 21, cool! So am i :D

Yea, im sure your more then capable of living by yourself (i wasnt sure how old you were beforehand). Most of my mates who are the same age as us have all moved out. Many are breaking their backs though to pay for rent, bills etc.. as well as uni fees! Atleast thats one thing i dont have to worry about now, whilst living with the family. London rent prices are sky high!

Dahir
12-05-2006, 11:34 PM
This thread has gotten some popularity since I've last posted.

About the boredom factor: It must be pretty hard to please Paltrow since she was born, raised, and worked her entire career in Los Angeles. Now, if Los Angeles got her bored after 30 years, well England should wear her out in no time.

Its not America that's boring, its this Paltrow lady that's wearing locations down...:uhwhat

Woodrow
12-06-2006, 12:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir

About the boredom factor: It must be pretty hard to please Paltrow since she was born, raised, and worked her entire career in Los Angeles. Now, if Los Angeles got her bored after 30 years, well England should wear her out in no time.

Its not America that's boring, its this Paltrow lady that's wearing locations down...:uhwhat
That sounds about right.

London is many centries older than LA and has many more years experience with all types. So if LA was able to hold up for 30 years, London should be able to tolerate her for the rest of her life.

Muezzin
12-06-2006, 09:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir

I think I'd be scared in Los Angeles.

AvarAllahNoor
12-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Yes it is!

Some yankee woman insults America and we get abuse hurled at England!

I've been to USA and i loved it. Lovely refreshing people and the weather is awesome. - Lots to see and the food is served in heaps :giggling:

God Bless America and all that sail in her....

get rid of Bushy though.

AvarAllahNoor
12-06-2006, 09:35 AM

Haha - I know exactly what you mean - I was in Arkansas in JulyAug and i have a friend who lives there who's cauasian and i stayed with his family. When we went out or to his work place (works in a supermarket) all his colleagues would surround me and ask me questions and comliment me on my accent - It was quite nice i thought. - I'm told i'm very well spoken but i must say i absolutely adore the american accent.

They are very warm and friendly i found.

Ninth_Scribe
12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
The people that are claiming "England is boring" have you been to Salisbury, Blackpool, or even England itself?

I've never been to England but it's boring!

Referring to the accent I went to New York which was one of the worst I've been to, I hate shopping. The Americans LOVED mine and my sister's accents. One gal kept staring whilst I was talking so I am absolutely proud of my accent, nationality and my country, apart from the political crap of immigration etc.
I fell in love with England when I was a small kid and went to live in Walthamstow in London when I was 22, hoping to find that picture-perfect existence... but reality was a different story. The place was great, but very expensive!

I ran out of money after a year and a half. imsad

Ninth Scribe

England
12-06-2006, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
I fell in love with England when I was a small kid and went to live in Walthamstow in London when I was 22, hoping to find that picture-perfect existence... but reality was a different story. The place was great, but very expensive!

I ran out of money after a year and a half. imsad

Ninth Scribe
You know why it's expensive don't you? One of the main reasons is asylum seekers. The more immigrants that come in the more the tax rises.

Goku
12-06-2006, 04:32 PM
England isnt boring, the weather can be unpredictable though. London has plenty of tourist attractions. My own city, is a seaside resort with many Chinese and Asian and Arab tourists visiting.

soulsociety
12-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Tax rises are due to misgovernment not Asylum seekers.

Good thing about UK, NHS, journalism/media is more mixed (although becoming more americanised), not as much racism as in the US/Europe.

Woodrow
12-06-2006, 04:38 PM
You know why it's expensive don't you? One of the main reasons is asylum seekers. The more immigrants that come in the more the tax rises.
Oddly enough the opposite seems to be happening here in the US. The asylum seekers are prospering and the majority of them have brought in valued skills and are very productive workers and tax-payers. this has always been the strange cycle of America, it seems it has always been the new immigrants that developed jobs and prospered while the people that have been here for several generations tend to stagnat. Shortly after WW2 large numbers of Eastern Europeans migrated here and most became successfull business owners. During the Viet-nam era many South Asians migrated here and the same thing happened. Today it is mideasterners and they have achieved an average standard of living higher than the national average.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.