/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 Christmas message

glo
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
The 'alternative' Christmas message on channel 4 will be given by a Muslim woman wearing niqab this year ...

http://www.gulfnews.com/world/United.../10087666.html
I have never watched this programme, so I don't quite know what channel 4's intentions are. :rollseyes
It seems the Muslim Council of Britain are not sure about it either:
The Muslim Council of Britain said that it did not wish to react to the planned broadcast on Channel Four. "It is not worthy of comment," said a spokesman.
http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2042961.ece

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
12-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Ya Rabb!

I read about this in the newspaper....

glo
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
What do you make of it, Al-Mu'minah?
Is it a good thing? Or not? :?

Peace

MinAhlilHadeeth
12-07-2006, 04:09 PM
:salamext:

MCB are right for once. This isn't worthy of a comment. I know channel 4 are always looking for a reaction with their antics, but this is just bizzare.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
12-07-2006, 04:13 PM
http://www.gulfnews.com/world/United.../10087666.html

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah*runs in horror*

:giggling:

Umar001
12-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Wow this seems interesting.

Wish we had an Amir though in the UK.

(if you wanna vote for me to become one please do...Eesa abdullah your national face for the British Muslim erm..taste? Vote Eesa!)

Woodrow
12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Channal 4 must be feeling a need to boost it's viewer base. I would suspect that the Muslimah was not fully aware of what she agreed to and was under the impression that she is to give a talk about peace.

Umar001
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Channal 4 must be feeling a need to boost it's viewer base. I would suspect that the Muslimah was not fully aware of what she agreed to and was under the impression that she is to give a talk about peace.
Well I doubt it, I mean it's pretty simple. Give a speech at the same time as the Queen's speech which talks about the review of the year.

aamirsaab
12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Wish we had an Amir though in the UK.
You bellowed....:p

Channel 4 often make odd decisions with their programs. Half of it is a load of crap (and quite frankly, disturbing) and the other half is quite good. Whether or not this particular message falls into either of those two categories is less important than the reason for it being made.

What I mean by this is: are they deliberately getting a hijabi to deliver the message of christmas to ruffle feathers (which is most likely!) or are they doing it to promote inter-faith relations (though a more altruistic option, it's simultaneously a less likely one).

However, my comments could very well turn out to be nothing more than naivity (it's happened in the past on several occasions) and the actual message delivered could be something along the lines of: "I'm muslim by faith and Islam teaches muslims to respect others. As a sign of this mutual respect, I wish you a happy holiday". Well, I for one reckon that'd be really cool.

rubiesand
12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
I reckon it's just a bit of fluff on C4's part. Having said, that, I'll probably tune in out of curiosity if I remember to. On previous years they've had the likes of Marge Simpson, the Osbournes, Ali G, but I didn't see any of those either. Other years they have had more serious/meaningful speakers like the parents of Stephen Lawrence and the mother of a CJD victim, so I hope this year's offering will be in the second category!

Muezzin
12-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I can't comment on it because I haven't seen it. Probably is a ratings ploy of sorts, but then on television what isn't? I'll have to see it in order to comment on its content though. If I end up not seeing it, I won't really be in a postion to judge it either way.

afriend
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Call me...an outcast/weirdo/fanatic/extremeist.......But who knows? Is that really a Muslim sister, or just any odd person wearing niqaab. I mean come on, would a sister who is as strong enough to wear a niqaab do that? Weird no? I also agree with aamir...

Muezzin
12-07-2006, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Call me...an outcast/weirdo/fanatic/extremeist.......But who knows? Is that really a Muslim sister, or just any odd person wearing niqaab.
Ooh, controversial. If you had said that a couple of months ago you might have started a riot! :p

Helena
12-07-2006, 06:09 PM
it sounds very interesting....

diff i guess involving ppl around the world to discuss issues/integration....

the programme will be on two weeks time rite?.....

Skillganon
12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
I guess we have no choice but to wait and see.

afriend
12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Ooh, controversial. If you had said that a couple of months ago you might have started a riot! :p
lol.....

Let's see what she has to say for herself.....I really love this time of year...All sorts of unexpected stuff happening.

Mohsin
12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
:sl:

Come on guys, why so glum, I was really happy when i read this. This programme always gets more ratings than the queens message. Its very good in my opinion, and no I dont think channel 4 are trying to use it to get ratings, like amir said, i thnk they are using to it improve inter-faith relations. Besides, channel 4 always do good programmes about islam. Apart from the dispatches ne with john snow, they have all part islam in a good light in my opinion. So insha'allah I myself am looking forward to this

afriend
12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah. I think that makes me think from a different aspect. Thanks for taking me out of that narrow minded talk lol.

Channel 4 have done quite a few good programs protraying the true message of Islam. Also, I have noticed that non-Muslims have given us Greetings during out scared festivals. I think it's only good manners to return the good gesture.....

But Allah knows best what is good and what is bad.

Woodrow
12-07-2006, 06:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohsin
:sl:

Come on guys, why so glum, I was really happy when i read this. This programme always gets more ratings than the queens message. Its very good in my opinion, and no I dont think channel 4 are trying to use it to get ratings, like amir said, i thnk they are using to it improve inter-faith relations. Besides, channel 4 always do good programmes about islam. Apart from the dispatches ne with john snow, they have all part islam in a good light in my opinion. So insha'allah I myself am looking forward to this
After reading this post and thinking of my previous posts. I should not be such a pessimist. Looking at it as Brother Mohsin did this can be a very wonderful thing for Muslims and non-Muslims. It was not fair for me to jump to the conclusion that C4 was doing it as a gimmick to raise ratings.

Muezzin
12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I know Channel 4 is for the most part pretty fair. I've said in another thread that their news coverage is well-balanced, and my preferred TV news outlet. Still, you have to admit that, what with all the controversy just a few months ago, putting a niqabi on TV on Christmas day is going to attract a hell of a lot of attention.

Just the cynical, businessman side of me talking...

Umm Yoosuf
12-07-2006, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
What do you make of it, Al-Mu'minah?
Is it a good thing? Or not? :?

Peace
Lets say I rather perfer if she stay at home....

glo
12-07-2006, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Lets say I rather perfer if she stay at home....
I must say that it surprised me that a devout Muslim woman (I am assuming - rightly or wrongly - that she is a devout Muslim by the way she dresses) should want to have anything to do with giving a Christmas message.
That must take some courage!!

Umm Yoosuf
12-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I shall just waite and see what she has to say Insha Allah :)

glo
12-07-2006, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
I shall just waite and see what she has to say Insha Allah :)
Me too! :)

Mohsin
12-07-2006, 07:43 PM
they dont actually give a christmas message, they just talk about the year for them. i dont think she'll go on it and finish by saying "I wish everyone at home a merry christman and a happy new year!"

Umm Yoosuf
12-07-2006, 07:46 PM
I hope not! Because I am sure I came across a fatwa by of of the 'ulimah saying you can't wish people merry chrismas!

Allah Knows Best

glo
12-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I came across this reader's letter in today's Independent.
I am not sure whether the author is a Muslim woman or not.
C4's veiled woman does not speak for British Muslims

Sir: Your article "Veiled Muslim to deliver C4's Christmas message" (6 December) quotes Allen Jewhurst, the producer for Chameleon's alternative Christmas message describing the veiled woman as "an everyone who can articulate the views of British Muslims".

Given much of Chameleon's programmes, I am not in the least bit surprised that his research team should suggest that this individual can in fact represent the views of the ethnically, politically, and economically diverse slice of society that is labelled "British Muslims". Considering that less than 1 per cent of Muslim women in Britain actually wear a niqab, who on earth can deduce such a pitiful figure as being representative of such a group?

Yet again, British Muslims are being misrepresented in the media, portrayed only in their most extreme incarnations, rather than as the vast and overwhelming majority of British citizens they are; dressing in contemporary clothing, contributing to the economy, society and culture of their country, pursuing relationships with people of all cultures, nationalities and faiths, and respecting and cherishing the (albeit diminishing) freedoms and rights that living in a modern British secular society affords them - one of which is increasingly under threat: the right to practice their religion freely and without persecution or prejudice.

When will the British media stop giving a voice to these extreme elements and foolishly and irresponsibly conferring upon them a status they do not hold amongst the community they are imagined to represent?

MS REWA BOUJI
http://comment.independent.co.uk/let...cle2055543.ece

Comments?

peace

Tania
12-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't think she will have a free speach. If she is a niqabi and teacher she will consult her imam. I am sure she will try her best to speak whats proper to say and don't give to speech some bad aspects.

I will not watch it because here we can't catch the channel 4. Also, if its right in the night of Christmas are less people watching the tv. Here we are buzy with dinner and midnight church sermon followed by a night walk upto house.:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.