/* */

PDA

View Full Version : can I make Du'a after getting up from Ruku?

afriend
12-07-2006, 11:04 PM
:sl:

I have a question to ask, I am fearing that I'm doing some sort of bidah, so just to clear up:

When we get up from ruku we say sami'a Allahu liman hamidah which means Allah listens to those who praise him...then, straight after that, we say Rabanaa wa lakal hamd, meaning Our Lord for you is All praise. After saying this is it permissible to make du'a, as Allah listens to those who praise him, and straight after that we make du'a......

I've been making du'a for a week or two like that, and I'm not showing off or anything, things have been going ok :)

Just like to get that cleared up if I could.

Jazakallah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
normansti
12-07-2006, 11:20 PM
I would like to know when to make du'a also

Pk_#2
12-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Usually at the end..

normansti
12-07-2006, 11:28 PM
do you mean after the prayer is finished completly?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MuSe
12-07-2006, 11:44 PM
normally after the tasliem

normansti
12-07-2006, 11:59 PM
tasliem? Sorry i dont know what that means

MuSe
12-08-2006, 12:05 AM
as-salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullah (2x) = tasleem

normansti
12-08-2006, 02:13 AM
oh ok thanks

afriend
12-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Anybody?

Why is it that most of my threads are ignored? ^o)

Kittygyal
12-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi Warabarakathuhu
am not a sheik or anything but Akhi don't you read the Du3'ah at thy end:?
Ma'assalama

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-09-2006, 09:05 PM
yeah das wot i thort ^ hmmm.. :rollseyes

u can ask 4 nefin wen ur in sajda.. das al i no :$

Fishman
12-09-2006, 09:08 PM
My book says that I can make dua in between the two sadjahs. Is this true?

Also, although my book says that you have to say 'Rabanaa wa lakal hamd', no imam I've prayed with has ever said it out loud. Why is this? The congregation just mutters something quitely.
:w:

Kittygyal
12-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Akhi i think it's best to ask an sheik && Iqram it's best if you ask your Hifz person inshallah :)
Ma'assalama

Fishman
12-09-2006, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Akhi i think it's best to ask an sheik && Iqram it's best if you ask your Hifz person inshallah :)
Ma'assalama
Were you talking to me? If so, I don't have contact with a Sheikh, or have a Hifz. imsad

Kittygyal
12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Were you talking to me? If so, I don't have contact with a Sheikh, or have a Hifz. imsad
i was talking to you && Iqram Akhi, you don't do Hifz i know that thats why i said "iqram" :) && i said to you two to ask an sheik well Akhi where you live isn't there a mosque nearby:?
Ma'assalama

Fishman
12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
i was talking to you && Iqram Akhi, you don't do Hifz i know that thats why i said "iqram" :) && i said to you two to ask an sheik well Akhi where you live isn't there a mosque nearby:?
Ma'assalama
The imam doesn't speak English. There was this really good teacher there, an American called Abu Jafar al-Hanbali, who taught me lots of things. But then he stopped teaching us, and contacting him by email or phone is difficult because he rarely has his phone switched on and rarely answers emails.

Kittygyal
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
The imam doesn't speak English. There was this really good teacher there, an American called Abu Jafar al-Hanbali, who taught me lots of things. But then he stopped teaching us, and contacting him by email or phone is difficult because he rarely has his phone switched on and rarely answers emails.
Assalmualikum,
why don't you leave a note with thy one whom can't speak english for the one whom taught you stuff :) inshallah he might hand thy message over or even better get someone whom you know to translate it for you in english like someone at mosque.
Ma'assalama

Umm Safiya
12-09-2006, 09:58 PM
:salamext:

I can't answer your question as I don't know if it's alright.. But we're encouraged (?) to make du'â in sujûd, as it is where we are closest to Allâh.. So I would suggest you to make du'â there instead..

:)

MuSe
12-09-2006, 10:59 PM
The proper way to make du’aa’ during prayer

Question:
I would like to know the proper way to make du’aa’ during prayer, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did it. Is it after the prayer or between the two prostrations or whilst standing or when?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Note that there is not one particular part of the prayer when du’aa’ should be offered, rather there are several parts of the prayer where the scholars have stated that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) offered du’aa’, from the opening takbeer to the final tasleem.

It is also Sunnah to make du’aa’ after the prayer and there are several du’aa’s that we will mention below in sha Allah.

It should be noted that the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and the best of du’aa’s are those which are in accordance with the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The wording of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the best of wording, because he is the most knowledgeable of all people about the Arabic language, and the most eloquent in speech. Allaah enabled him to express the most profound of meanings in few words, which is called conciseness of speech.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “I have been sent with concise speech.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6611; Muslim, 523.

Al-Bukhaari said: I heard that conciseness of speech means when many meanings which it would have taken books to write before are summed up in a phrase or two, and so on.

Based on this, if you want to say du’aa’ in your prayers at the points at which it is prescribed and recommended (mustahabb) to say du’aa’, the best of du’aa’s are those which are said in the wording of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Secondly:

If you are not able to do that and you cannot memorize these du’aa’s and dhikrs, then the best of du’aa’ is that which avoids going to extremes in using fanciful language speech, and which avoids using rhyme to the point of absurdity, and which makes the du’aa’ sincere and focused on the need in question, saying whatever is easy for you and whatever Allaah enables you to say.

It was narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to a man: “What do you say when you pray?” He said: “I recite the tashahhud, then I say: Allaahumma inni as’aluka al-jannah wa a’oodhu bika min al-naar (O Allaah, I ask You for Paradise and seek refuge in You from the Fire). I cannot murmur like you and like Mu’aadh.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It is about them that we were murmuring.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 792; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Thirdly:

With regard to du’aa’ after the salaam, what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do is to say, after finishing the prayer: Astghfir Allaah, astaghfir Allaah astaghfir Allaah (I seek the forgiveness of Allaah, I seek the forgiveness of Allaah, I seek the forgiveness of Allaah). Then he would say all the dhikrs that are narrated at this time. See question no. 7646.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

There is no saheeh report to say that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to raise his hands following an obligatory prayer, or that his companions (may Allaah have mercy on them) did that, as far as we know. What some people do, raising their hands after the prayer, is a bid’aah (innovation) for which there is no basis.

Al-Fataawa, 1/74.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

With regard to du’aa’ after the prayer facing the qiblah or facing the congregation, this is not something that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did at all. It is not narrated with a saheeh or hasan isnaad. As for doing that only after Fajr and ‘Asr prayers, he did not do that and neither did any of his successors (khulafa’), and he did not teach his ummah to do that. Rather this is something that some people thought it was good to do to make up for not offering Sunnah prayers after those prayers. And Allaah knows best.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) offered most of the du’aa’s that are connected to the prayer during the prayer, and he commanded us to offer them during it. This befits the state of the one who is praying, for he is facing his Lord and conversing with Him so long as he is praying. When he says the salaam that conversation comes to a close and he is no longer standing before Him and close to Him. So why should he not ask of Him whilst he is conversing with Him and close to Him and turning to Him, and then ask of Him when he has turned away from Him? Undoubtedly it is better to do the opposite. There is another subtle point to be made, which is that when the worshipper has finished praying, and he has remembered Allaah and proclaimed His oneness, glorified Him, praised Him and magnified Him by reciting the dhikrs that are prescribed following the prayer, it is mustahabb to send blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) after that, and to make du’aa’ as he wishes, His du’aa’ should come immediately after this second act of worship, not because it is after the prayer but because it is mustahabb for anyone who remembers Allaah and praises Him and sends blessings upon the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to make du’aa’ after that, as it says in the hadeeth of Faddaalah ibn ‘Ubayd: “When any one of you prays, let him start by praising Allaah, then let him send blessings upon the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then let him say du’aa’ however he wishes.”

Al-Tirmidhi said: (it is) a saheeh hadeeth. It was also classed as saheeh by al-Haakim, and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. Zaad al-Ma’aad, 1/257, 258.

Fourthly:

With regard to the points during the prayer at which du’aa’ should be offered, we will sum this up for you as follows:

1 –After the opening takbeer of the prayer and before starting to recite al-Faatihah. This is called Du’aa’ al-Istiftaah (opening supplication):

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) started to pray, he would remain silent for a while. I said: “May my father and mother be sacrificed for you, O Messenger of Allaah. What do you say when you are silent between the takbeer and recitation?” He said: “I say: Allaahumma baa’id bayni wa bayna khataayaaya kama baa’adta bayna al-mashriqi wa’l-maghrib. Allaahumma naqqini min khataayaaya kama yunaqqa al-thawb al-abyad min al-danas. Allaahumma ighsilni min khataayaaya bi’l-thalji wa’l-maa’i wa’l-barad (O Allaah, put a great distance between me and my sins, as great as the distance You have made between the East and the West. O Allaah, cleanse me of sin as a white garment is cleansed from filth. O Allaah, wash away my sins with snow and water and hail).”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 711; Muslim, 598.

2 – Du’aa’ al-Qunoot in Witr

It was narrated that al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught me words to say in Witr: “Allaahumma ihdini feeman hadayta wa ‘aafini feeman ‘aafayta wa tawallani feeman tawallayta wa baarik li feema a’tayta, wa qini sharra ma qadayta , fa innaka taqdi wa la yuqda ‘alayk, wa innahu laa yadhillu man waalayta wa laa ya’izzu man ‘aadayta, tabaarakta Rabbana wa ta’aalayt (O Allaah, guide me among those whom You have guided, pardon me among those whom You have pardoned, turn to me in friendship among those on whom You have turned in friendship, and bless me in what You have bestowed, and save me from the evil of what You have decreed. For verily You decree and none can influence You; and he is not humiliated whom You have befriended, nor is he honoured who is Your enemy. Blessed are You, O Lord, and Exalted).”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 464; al-Nasaa’i, 1745; Abu Dawood, 1425; Ibn Maajah, 1178.

This hadeeth was classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi and others, and as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 429.

3 – Du’aa’ when standing up from bowing, at times of calamity.

This is called Qunoot al-Nawaazil. This may be recited in all the obligatory prayers depending on the situation, and the worshippers behind the imam should say Ameen. See question no. 20031.

4 – Whilst bowing.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say: “Subhaanak Allaahumma Rabbanaa wa bi hamdika Allaahumma ighfir li (Glory and praise be to You, O Allaah our Lord. O Allaah, forgive me).”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 761; Muslim, 484, from the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah.

5 – During prostration.

This is the best of du’aa’, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The closest that any one of you may be to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a lot of du’aa’ at that time.” Narrated by Muslim, 482, from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

There are many ahaadeeth concerning this, for which we do not have room to mention them here.

6 – Between the two prostrations.

One should say: “Allaahumma ighfir li warhamni wajburni wahdini warzuqni (O Allaah, forgive me, have mercy on me, enrich me, guide me and grant me provision).”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 284; Ibn Maajah, 898 – from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi. And there are other du’aa’s.

7 – After the tashahhud and before the salaam:

the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When any one of you has finished the last tashahhud, let him seek refuge with Allaah from four things and say: Allaahumma inni a’oodhu bika min ‘adhaabi jahannam wa min ‘adhaab il-qabri wa min fitnat il-mahyaa wa’l-mamaat wa min sharri fitnat il-maseeh il-dajjaal (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from the torment of Hell and from the torment of the grave and from the trials of life and death and from the evil of the trial of the Dajjaal).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1311; Muslim, 588 (this version narrated by Muslim), from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah. Then after that he may pray for whatever he likes of the good things of this world and the Hereafter, because of the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) taught them the tashahhud then he said at the end: “Let him ask for whatever good things he wishes.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5876; Muslim, 402.

There are many du’aa’s which may be recited during the prayer, but we cannot quote all of them in this answer. We have referred to a few of those that have been narrated. Our advice to the questioner – and to every Muslim – is to have a copy of al-Adhkaar by al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him), which is a lengthy book. If he would like to have something shorter then he should get a copy of al-Kalim al-Tayyib by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, edited by al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on them all).

And Allaah knows best.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...0raise%20hands

I hope this answer will be of use for you brothers, insha'Allah.

afriend
12-10-2006, 12:46 AM
Now that's more like it! JazakAllah khair brother ;)

Daffodil
12-13-2006, 12:54 AM
oh my god the answer is too long to read at 1 in the morning, can some one some it up for me, is it ok to supplicate when ur foreheads on the ground cuz i heard u can.............?

afriend
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
oh my god the answer is too long to read at 1 in the morning, can some one some it up for me, is it ok to supplicate when ur foreheads on the ground cuz i heard u can.............?

5 – During prostration.

This is the best of du’aa’, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The closest that any one of you may be to his Lord is when he is prostrating, so say a lot of du’aa’ at that time.” Narrated by Muslim, 482, from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

There are many ahaadeeth concerning this, for which we do not have room to mention them here.

MuSe
12-13-2006, 10:43 PM

Some examples of what you can say during prostration:

" Soebh'aana Rabbieyal A'la". (Aboe Daawoed, Ibn Maadjah, An-Nasaa-ie, Ahmad. Zie ook Al-Albaanie, Sah'ih' At-Tirmidhie 1/83.)

"Soebh'aanaka Allaahoemma Rabbana wa bih'amdika Allahoemma ghfier lie". (Al-Boekhaarie 1/99, Moesliem 1/350.)

"Allaahoemma laka sadjadtoe wa bieka aamantoe, wa laka aslemtoe, sadjada wadjhi lilladhie khalqahoe, wa sawarahoe, wa shaqqa sam'ahoe wa basarah, tabaaraka Allaahoe ah'sanoe l-khaalieqien". (Moesliem 1/353, Aboe Daawoed 1/230)

"Soebh'aana dhiel djabaroetie, wa lmalakoetie, wal kiebriyaa-e, wa l-'adhzamah". (Aboe Daawoed 1/230, An-Nasaa-ie, Ahmad. See also Al-Albaanie, Sah'ih' Aboe Daawoed 1/166.)

"Allaahoemma ghfier lie dhanbie koellahoe diqqahoe wa djiellah, wa awwalahoe wa aakhirahoe wa 'alaa-niyatahoe wa sirrahoe". (Moesliem 1/350.)

"Allaahoemma iennie a'oedhoe bie riedaaka mien sakhatik, wa bi moe'aafaatieka mien 'oeqoebatiek wa'oedhoe bieka mienka, laa oeh'sie thanaa-an 'alayk anta kamaa athnayta 'ala nafsieka". (Moesliem 1/532.
)

Daffodil
12-14-2006, 01:19 AM
so u cant make up ur own dua in english like oh allah please my make children obedient and pious etc etc.

i always was taught that if u add something in salah then ur salah is invalid.

Malaikah
12-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Umm... I thought you can make up your own dua in sujud?? :? And that it didnt have to be in Arabic??

lolwatever
12-14-2006, 06:15 AM
^ yeh im pretttyy sure u can make ur own dua in sujood after u say that beginnign dua, coz teh person is closest to Allah when in sujood.

just like u can make ur own duyah after sitting down?

tc salams

Musalmaan
12-14-2006, 06:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

I have a question to ask, I am fearing that I'm doing some sort of bidah, so just to clear up:

When we get up from ruku we say sami'a Allahu liman hamidah which means Allah listens to those who praise him...then, straight after that, we say Rabanaa wa lakal hamd, meaning Our Lord for you is All praise. After saying this is it permissible to make du'a, as Allah listens to those who praise him, and straight after that we make du'a......

I've been making du'a for a week or two like that, and I'm not showing off or anything, things have been going ok :)

Just like to get that cleared up if I could.

Jazakallah khair
as confirmed by scholar, yes brother after raising from rukoo u can make dua (only arabic dua ) be it nafil prayers, fardh prayers or prayers behind the imam, you can make dua, and it is sunnah to ask at that time, so also make intention of following sunnah to get extra multiple rewards.

MuSe
12-14-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Umm... I thought you can make up your own dua in sujud?? :? And that it didnt have to be in Arabic??

Yes, you can make up your own du'a, but to use the du'as that were used by the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) is better because it is the best of wording and he is most knowledgeable about the Arabic language. (http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...t=dua%20arabic)

Also other du'as coming from Qur'aan are very good and thus better than own made up du'as. (http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...t=dua%20arabic)

You can do it in another language only if you cannot do it in Arabic. And if this is the case you can use your mother tongue, but you have to start learning Arabic to be able to do it in Arabic in the future. (http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...t=dua%20arabic)

normansti
12-16-2006, 11:40 PM
http://www.kalamullah.com/yasir-qadhi.html

There is a lecture that I downloaded from this site on dua and its really good, I learned alot. Its called "Dua the Weapon of the Believer"

chacha_jalebi
12-17-2006, 12:39 AM
i think asking for dua in sajda is also heavy bro :D i wouldnt say its bidaah ur doin, because there are other duas we can read after gettin up frm ruku as shown in hadiths

but theres a hadiths which says that a slave is most close to Allah (swt) while hes in sujood, so thats the best time to ask also :D:D:D

peaceman
12-21-2006, 10:21 AM

From fiqh us sunnah, by saeed sabiq:

Volume 2, Page 16: How to perform the qunut
It is permissible to make the qunut before going into ruku' (bowing), or lt may be recited when one stands up straight after the ruku'. Humaid says: "I asked Anas: 'Is the qunut before or after the ruku'?' He said: 'We would do it before or after.'" This was related by Ibn Majah and Muhammad ibn Nasr. In Fath al-Bari, Ibn Hajar comments that its chain is faultless.

If one makes the qunut before the ruku', one should make the takbir and raise one's hands after the recital, and similarly make another takbir after the qunut, and then bow. This has been related from some companions. Some scholars hold that it is preferable to raise one's hands in supplication during the qunut, while others disagree.

----

And Allah knows

umm-sulaim
01-07-2007, 11:23 AM
A du'a you can make after rukou3 is:

اللهم ربنا لك الحمد ملء السماوات و ملء اﻻرض ملء ما بينهما و ملء ما شئت من شيء بعد اهل الثناء والمجد احق ما قال
العبد و كلنا لك عبد ﻻ مانع لما اعطيت و ﻻ معطي لما منعت و ﻻ ينفع ذا الجد منك الجد

O Allah our lord for you is all praise filling the heavens and filling the earth and filling that which is between them and filing anything you wish after that, people of the praise and glory, the most just the servant says and we are all your servants, there is no preventer from that which you give, and no giver to that which you prevent, and one of good luck is of no benefit with your good luck.
In muslim by Ibn Abbas radhiya Allahu anhu.

wassalaam

Muslim Woman
03-01-2007, 01:58 AM

Salaam/peace;

Can u we offer dua/supplication in Fard salat while in Sujud/Sajda or we can do it only in Sunnah & nafal/additional prayer ?

Talha777
03-01-2007, 02:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/peace;

Can u we offer dua/supplication in Fard salat while in Sujud/Sajda or we can do it only in Sunnah & nafal/additional prayer ?
Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Dua can, and it fact should be done in both fardh, sunnat, and nawafil prayers. The best time to do dua is in sajda, because that is the highlight and climax of the salat. Dua should also be done after one has finished reciting Quran in qiyam and before ruku, as well as before taslim. Note, taslim requires two salams, first to the right and then to the left. This is because we have two Angels with us recording our deeds, and only one salam is not only rude but also a bidah. Jazak Allah khair.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-01-2007, 02:20 AM

Shaykh Isam Rajab was asked about making Du'a in Sujud, his reply:
Assalamualiakum,

the answer is: Yes, you can. Actually it's recommended since it's the nearest spot for a servant to his lord. the prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: during sujud "prostration" do your best in Dua.
you can make any dua in sujud. it's always recommended to say what the prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam used to say.

you can say the dua in your language.
basically, this applies to all prayers, fardh and nafl, yet usually people do more in their nafl since they're not obliged to follow the imam or consider the followers behind the imam.
You can say ANY Dua in Sujud in ANY language as long as you said Subhana rabial a'la.
http://talk.islamicnetwork.com/showthread.php?t=4254&

Muslim Woman
03-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Salaam/peace

Talha777 : Dua can, and it fact should be done in both fardh, sunnat, and nawafil prayers. The best time to do dua is in sajda, because that is the highlight and climax of the salat.

Al Madani:you can say the dua in your language.
basically, this applies to all prayers, fardh and nafl

---Jazak Allah

:statisfie :)

zaria
03-02-2007, 04:00 PM
As Salaamu Alaikum

You should make du'a after you do salutation to the right and than to the left. At the masjid the Imam says Sami'Allahu Laman Hamida and then the congregation says Rabana lakal Hamd. Allahu'Alim

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.