/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What's the BEST Operating System and Why?

Dahir
12-08-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm having a bit of a dilemma as to which operating system is best for my lifestyle. I'm a quick run-n-gun type of guy and have no time to look around for my favorite tools, so Mac would do the part, but I also like to tweak things when I have a little extra time on my hands, which incidentally makes Linux and Microsoft hot contenders.

Also, with the recent release of Microsoft Vista I'm really excited to work with PCs a bit more.

But with the easy and quick syncing possibilities for my iPod and other littly Mac-ready equipment I'm also compelled evermore to Mac OS.

Any help here?!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rabiyal
12-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Linux is the best!!! it's Mac and PC without the virus!!!!

lolwatever
12-09-2006, 08:47 AM
erm if u wanna use it 4 nromal use ofcourse windows is the most logical option..... mac is for ppl who only wanna use word and excel and internet. otherwise its crap in my opinion :vomit:.

Unix... yes its got fantastic core n all that.. but unless ur a backend developer/admin... its really not worth the hassle.

Dos.. i'm surprised u could possibly consider that :offended:
:w:

Muezzin
12-09-2006, 02:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
Dos.. i'm surprised u could possibly consider that :offended:
He didn't. :giggling:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dahir
12-10-2006, 05:05 AM
WHO ADDED DOS?? :grumbling

Get it off, get it off, get it off!

*Please*

Woodrow
12-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Linux with no competition in sight. Even if I do have XP pro on this thing.

lolwatever
12-10-2006, 06:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
He didn't. :giggling:
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
WHO ADDED DOS?? :grumbling

Get it off, get it off, get it off!

*Please*
:sl:
ne1 c the crime link ;D

afriend
12-10-2006, 12:06 PM
lol Hahaha!!

I'd like to see how the new Vista performs. Insha'Allah (still saying Insha'Allah ;D lol) as soon as I get my new computer...I'll have to give it a shot. Although I've heard there have been a lot of problems with configuring driver programs, such as Modem Drivers :offended: What's a powerhouse without internet? huh? YOU TELL ME!!

Well, at the moment XP Professional seems to have quite a few bugs on it....

Macs...:uhwhat I don't even wanna go there, security wise excellent....But some things I just can't stand...That's why we have Vista :D

Dunno about the rest...:rollseyes Especially DOS

Abdul Fattah
12-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Just installed ubuntu, and yes it has a lot of advantages over windows but it is sometimes tricky getting all stuff like printers scanners webcam and so on to work under linux. But once you got that set you're homefree

afriend
12-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Linux's concept of 'booting from CD', I find that pretty good...I'd like to try it now lol.

Anybody know where I can download it from?

Al-Hanbali
12-10-2006, 12:43 PM
:sl:

MS VISTA by miles, however, there are a few problems :)

Abdul Fattah
12-10-2006, 01:58 PM
try downloading here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUb...irect=download

allah-akbar
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
If you are playing game alot then definitly windows,
if you are into video editing and other... then MAC
and if you want total control over your work than LINUX

afriend
12-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Jazakallah brother Steve :)

Woodrow
12-10-2006, 10:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Linux's concept of 'booting from CD', I find that pretty good...I'd like to try it now lol.

Anybody know where I can download it from?
I don't believe it can be downloaded. As it is the operating system. You want it on a new Blank PC with no existing OS.

You would want to have it on a cd and reformat your HD and start from scratch. Unless you know how to set up your PC with 2 independant HDs and know how to select which OS you want to run each time you reboot. some people do that and it is not all that hard to set up. But to me it makes more sense to stick with one os on a single PC.

Woodrow
12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I don't believe it can be downloaded. As it is the operating system. You want it on a new Blank PC with no existing OS.

You would want to have it on a cd and reformat your HD and start from scratch. Unless you know how to set up your PC with 2 independant HDs and know how to select which OS you want to run each time you reboot. some people do that and it is not all that hard to set up. But to me it makes more sense to stick with one os on a single PC.
My error. Linux has gotten even better:

Linux, together with a set of GNU programs, is an operating system. That is, Linux is not a single program or a suite of tools. Most "versions" of Linux, known as "distributions", are available to download free of charge. However, there are some things you should know about downloading and installing Linux:

First, you don't have to actually install Linux in your hard disk to use the Linux operating system. There exist several "versions" of Linux that can be downloaded an burned to a CD. These variants of the Linux operating system, known as "Live CD" versions, will boot Linux directly from the CD on systems that are capable of doing this. (most PCs manufactured in the last 7 to 8 years will allow this). Memory requirements vary, so please consult our list of Live CD distributions on our distributions page (choose the option 'Live CD' from the 'Category' menu). There are several popular Live CD distributions, such as MEPIS, Knoppix and Slax. Most major Linux distributors (SUSE, Mandriva, Ubuntu) also offer Live CD versions of their products.

If you're interested in running Linux indefinitely or permanently, you can also download versions designed to be installed on your hard disk. Here is some information you should know.

Source: http://www.linux.org/dist/download_info.html

vpb
12-10-2006, 11:01 PM
guys u can't say "this is the right OS and that's it"

it really depends on what purpose you are using it for.
for ex.
Unix/Linux -> security, programming
Windows -> business stuff
Mac -> design

lolwatever
12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
^ macs4design?? :offended:

macs suck 4that man... quad cores n duo cores kill macs 4 design purpose... plus most CGI software is designed for windows platform :statisfie

Ibn Al Aqwa
02-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Linux is good, and free...and some of the latest versions just look slick

people like to deny it, but by far xp is in another class...ease of use etc...

WaSalaam

Cabdullahi
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
xp SIMPLY THE BEST

lolwatever
02-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Google's Android is the best! :D

truemuslim
02-06-2008, 07:03 PM
XP is the best in my opinion...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.