/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Yawning Facts

Naheezah
12-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Interesting Yawning Facts

* The average yawn lasts about six seconds.
* Your heart rate can rise as much as 30 percent during a yawn.
* 55 percent of people will yawn within five minutes of seeing someone else yawn.
* Blind people yawn more after hearing an audio tape of people yawning.
* Reading about yawning will make you yawn.
* Olympic athletes often yawn before competition.

:uhwhat

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-08-2006, 06:33 PM
:salamext:

http://muttaqun.com/yawning.html

The Ruler
12-08-2006, 06:35 PM
:sl:

interesting...but what i dont get is when you want to sneeze but you cant, you end up yawning...atleast i know i do :-\

:w:

afriend
12-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Isn't yawning a human reaction? :eek: It's like...when you're really tired. That's your body saying: Get some sleep.......Right?

Although Yawning in salaah and when reciting Quran is definatrly the acts of shaytaan trying to mislead you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
------
12-08-2006, 08:01 PM

All i know about yawning is this Hadith;

Hadith - Bukhari 4:509, Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him."
So many people do that without realising it ... imsad

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-08-2006, 08:13 PM
* 55 percent of people will yawn within five minutes of seeing someone else yawn.

yehhh tru say :D lol

* Reading about yawning will make you yawn.

dis didnt make me yawn :p

* Olympic athletes often yawn before competition.

why lol

snakelegs
12-08-2006, 08:28 PM
i've often wondered why yawning seems to be contagious.
another puzzle - i've heard that it is caused by your brain needing more oxygen but i remember when i smoked - i would go smoke a cigarette and that would stop the yawning - so it can't be true about the oxygen.
i'm glad to read from the link provided by Fi_Sabilillah that god likes sneezing because i do too!

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-08-2006, 10:24 PM
lol ^ :p

datz wot i thought.. ^o) hmmm..

Pk_#2
12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
You like sneezing sis, :oS strange :)

erm jazakhala for post, :)

Tc! Peace!!

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
i didnt say dat.. snakelegs did :D

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 02:08 AM
snakelegs is strange!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D

peacechaser
12-09-2006, 08:52 AM

another puzzle - i've heard that it is caused by your brain needing more oxygen but i remember when i smoked - i would go smoke a cigarette and that would stop the yawning - so it can't be true about the oxygen.
Hmmm maybe this oxygen matter is just a theory, a fact comes from mind.:rollseyes

If Snakelegs the Strange is true, it supports the hadith.

The Prophet said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him."
because Islam never prohibits us from any healthy matters!

Hmmmuaaahh :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Hmmuuuuaaaaaahhhhh

(are you the one of the 55%?;D )

Fishman
12-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I read that yawning is like a signal for others to go to sleep. When one yawns, others yawn too, telling everyone to go to sleep. Metaphorically, it fits with the hadith, because yawning makes oneself and others tired, which affects worship in a negative way.

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i've often wondered why yawning seems to be contagious.
Could it be because the devil who made the first person yawn is 'in the zone' and doesnt want to just stop at one? :?

i'm glad to read from the link provided by Fi_Sabilillah that god likes sneezing because i do too!
Yeh, me too. Sneezing rocks! :shade:

- Qatada -
12-09-2006, 01:13 PM

http://muttaqun.com/sneezing.html

- Qatada -
12-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Also, the first person to say alhamdulillah after sneezing was Adam (alayhi salaam).

Abu Hurairah narrated that the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said: "Allah created Adam from dust after He mixed the clay and left him for some time until it became sticky mud, after which Allah shaped him. After that Allah left him till it became like potter's clay. Iblis used to go past him saying 'You have been created for a great purpose.' After that Allah breathed His spirit into him. The first thing into which the spirit passed was his eye and then his nose. He sneezed. Allah said: "May your Lord have mercy upon you, O Adam! Go to those angels and see what they would say.' So Adam went and greeted them. they replied saying: "Peace be upon you and the mercy and blessings of Allah." Allah said: "O Adam! This is your greeting and that of your offspring."

Not really sure about its authenticity. I think sister Labibah from this forum posted it on another forum:

http://www.gawaher.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t14113.html

Umm Safiya
12-09-2006, 02:06 PM

I read that hadîth in Stories of The Prophets by Ibn Kathir..

When people yawn and don't cover their mouth, they just look soooo ugly.. :uuh:

Curious girl2
12-16-2006, 11:41 PM
I read the title of this thread.................. and it made me yawn LOL! So you dont even have to see someone yawning to yawn yourself! Why do we do that anyway?

Peace CG

Malaikah
12-17-2006, 08:55 AM

Hey sis, this was mentioned earlier, it is from the devil:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.