/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan to ban forced marriages: Musharraf

snakelegs
12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Pakistan to ban forced marriages: Musharraf

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061206...n_061206054144

ISLAMABAD (AFP) - Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf said the government would shortly push through new legislation aimed at empowering women and outlawing forced marriages.

The laws would also ensure women's right to their inheritance, ban the sale of women in the name of marriage and end the age-old practice of marrying women to Koran to deprive them of their share in property, he said on Tuesday.

Musharraf's pledge comes a week after he defied protests by religious fundamentalists and signed into law a "Protection of Women" bill amending the country's Islamic rape legislation.

"A bill is being considered to remove unjust social practices against women and it should be passed by the parliament," Musharraf told a women's convention in Islamabad.

Further legislation now planned by the government was aimed at ending the practice of giving women in marriage to settle disputes, and also at reforming divorce laws, Musharraf said.

"I am proud that the government is considering this law for your betterment and I shall always stand by you," he told the convention.

Musharraf said he wanted to empower women politically and economically so they could play their role in "national development".

"Our government has brought legislation banning honor killings, and an ordinance issued by me has provided for the release of about 1,300 women from jails," he said.

"The women's protection bill is just the beginning and it was a victory for the entire nation and a victory for moderates," he said.

That bill was voted for by parliament last month amid a walkout by Islamic hardliners.

It places rape laws under Pakistan's secular penal code and scraps harsh conditions that require victims to produce four male witnesses, and exposes them to prosecution for adultery if they are unable to prove the rime.

Musharraf soon after grabbing power in a military coup in October 1999 said he wanted to reform the controversial laws, but had backed down on the pledge after strong protests by the Islamic hardliners.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Step in the right direction.

afriend
12-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I agree. Forced marriages are wrong in Islam also.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Finally, a good step.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdulwaheed
12-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Hopefully, this kind of thing will spread to other countries that do not respect their women and give them their rights.

Muezzin
12-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Forced marriages do indeed suck. This is a good step. Now just to get rid of all the corruption in the Pakistani authorities...

Umar001
12-09-2006, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
Further legislation now planned by the government was aimed at ending the practice of giving women in marriage to settle disputes, and also at reforming divorce laws, Musharraf said.
Half of the stuff thats been banned or being banned should have been banned anyway I dont get it 'banning honour killings' I mean **** was that allowed at a time??

Anyhow, I feel sorry, giving your daughter to settle a dispute, thats sick. Just like that guy who took a wife to settle a gambling debt.

:grumbling :grumbling

Helena
12-09-2006, 12:42 AM
good step..alhamdulilah.....

forced marriages should completely removed from the muslim cultures inshAllah...

both genders should be given choices...inshAllah....

Abdulwaheed
12-09-2006, 12:45 AM
what might seem crazy to us, might be normal to them because thats how its always been for them?

anyway I hope it works out well

Skillganon
12-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Let me add this extra bit: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

Victory

Musharraf described the recent amendment of the 1979 Hudood Ordinance on rape and adultery as victory for Pakistan, blasting its critics, reported Reuters.

"The women's protection bill is just the beginning and it was a victory for the entire nation and a victory for moderates," he said.

That bill was voted for by parliament last month amid a walkout by MPs of the Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA), a coalition of six religious parties.

The new bill places rape laws under Pakistan's secular penal code and scraps harsh conditions that require victims to produce four male witnesses, and exposes them to prosecution for adultery if they are unable to prove the crime.

It slashed the adultery punishment to imprisonment of up to five years against only male perpetrator.

Under the Hudood code, a man and woman found guilty of having sex outside of marriage could be sentenced to death by stoning or 100 lashes, although that has never been enforced and those convicted of the crime get jail or a fine instead.

The MMA alliance argues that the new amendments would promote "free sex".

"I congratulate the entire nation that an aggressively progressive bill has been passed," Musharraf told the women's convention.

He derided its critics and said people should not vote for them in general elections, due next year or in early 2008.

"These people are against progress of Pakistan. They believe in extremism. They don't believe in moderation," Musharraf charged.

"Remember, you have to cast a vote. Remember, you will not vote for those who are against you ... go into the field and mobilize people not to vote for the wrong people.

"If you do that then the future of Pakistan will always be bright."

Muezzin
12-09-2006, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
My sentiments exactly. Why the heck was it allowed all this time?!
Because the corrupt Pakistani beauracrats were probably the ones profitting from or commiting it.

Skillganon
12-09-2006, 12:59 AM
What about the Hudood Law? Was that right?

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 02:49 AM
it's so nice to see good news from pakistan!
at least some of all this stuff is cultural in origin. culture seems very difficult to overcome. for example a lot of non-hindu south asians practice a form of caste-ism.

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 02:53 AM
and end the age-old practice of marrying women to Koran to deprive them of their share in property, he said on Tuesday.
:sl:

What in the world... am I missing something here? :uuh:

Woodrow
12-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Today I read a little statement that I believe applies to some leaders. "Too many people wear the name Muslim, but do not follow Islam"

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-09-2006, 03:05 AM
it's so nice to see good news from pakistan!
at least some of all this stuff is cultural in origin. culture seems very difficult to overcome. for example a lot of non-hindu south asians practice a form of caste-ism.
Thats why u have to becareful about what stuff is culture based and whats religion based. Which is why its important for every Muslim to know their religion.

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 03:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

What in the world... am I missing something here? :uuh:
i'd like to know about this too - first time i ever heard about it. (but then, that doesn't mean much for me!)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-09-2006, 03:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Today I read a little statement that I believe applies to some leaders. "Too many people wear the name Muslim, but do not follow Islam"
Well thats obvious isn't it? lol

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Thats why u have to becareful about what stuff is culture based and whats religion based. Which is why its important for every Muslim to know their religion.
i agree.

KAding
12-09-2006, 09:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Because the corrupt Pakistani beauracrats were probably the ones profitting from or commiting it.
More likely because it was a popular custom? Part of the local culture perhaps? Administrators are as much a product of that culture as anyone else. It probably was just 'normal' and/or accepted for centuries.

KAding
12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Yeah, I agree. So many people in the West seem completely unable to make this distinction.

Of course, some also argue that it is a fallacy to separate the two, since religion and culture are so intertwined. They would argue that religion is so dominant in a country like Pakistan that it is unlikely to not be somehow connected to such practices. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if local clerics generally approve of it. For example, on forced marriages, the following argument could be made: Islam does not allow to unmarried women and men to socialize -> It thus becomes the responsibility of a third party to 'match' the two, usually this task falls upon the parents -> So the parents of both boy and girl start to make arrangements -> This might lead to at best social pressure and at worst downright force on those whose marriage is being arranged. In short, the basic rules in Islam create a situation which empowers the parents and neglects the wishes of the individuals who are being married.

It's a bit like with rape in Western countries. Of course rape is not accepted to those with a secular liberal mindset and values, but nevertheless - as Muslims are so good at pointing out - it becomes more likely when these values are central in society.

Goku
12-11-2006, 05:49 PM
A step in the right direction, as the Holy Qur'an says:

O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to marry women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness. (4:19)

Pakistan has Mash'Allah grown dramatically ecomomically wise since its creation. Muslims emigrated to Pakistan and fortified it. Pakistan was described by Harvard economists in the 1960s as a "model for economic development" and in the financial year end 2005, Pakistan had the 2nd highest growth rate after China.

In Lahore, defense phase 8, there is a development project going on which will include state of the art techology, housing, infastructre, highly technological theme park and a very high standard of living that will exceed even alot of places in the West.

Eliminate corruption, put the needs of the people of Pakistan first, eliminate poverty, create jobs, and Insha'Allah Pakistan will be a fully developed nation.

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Pakistan to ban forced marriages: Musharraf
Well, it's about time! Honestly, I don't understand what's with some MEN! What kind of son would they expect to be conceived by a union that has absolutely no passion!? And if I thought that my parents or other family members were focusing their attention on something as private as my sexuality... well, that's just plain creepy. No, call me old school, but souls should be forged by fire, lest their lives become as cold and lifeless as those who conceived them!

Some people's minds! Pft.

Ninth Scribe

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Goku
A step in the right direction, as the Holy Qur'an says:

O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to marry women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness. (4:19)
And that's coming from one who knows! :)

Ninth Scribe

AvarAllahNoor
12-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Bravo!

MTAFFI
12-13-2006, 09:50 PM
id like to sell my wife sometimes!! just kidding, lol

Ninth_Scribe
12-14-2006, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Perhaps that's because there are x-number of disputes in how we DEFINE Islam?

Ninth Scribe

mpk
12-17-2006, 05:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Half of the stuff thats been banned or being banned should have been banned anyway I dont get it 'banning honour killings' I mean **** was that allowed at a time??

Anyhow, I feel sorry, giving your daughter to settle a dispute, thats sick. Just like that guy who took a wife to settle a gambling debt.

:grumbling :grumbling
exactly what I was thinking! And marrying women to the quran????wtf???:uuh:

Tania
12-17-2006, 03:22 PM
But what will happen with women which refuse to get married at their parents order:? Will be not harsh threated by parents after that:? For those who will be forced to leave the parents house because they desobeyed their will, the state will provide a place to live:?

Ninth_Scribe
12-17-2006, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
But what will happen with women which refuse to get married at their parents order:? Will be not harsh threated by parents after that:? For those who will be forced to leave the parents house because they desobeyed their will, the state will provide a place to live:?
That's the whole legal loop-hole, right there. You can't force the girl to marry, but you can demand that she honors her parents, and given this presentation, she really has little choice since she is obligated to honor their wishes. But one would be foolish to think there are no consequences where souls are concieved to this world by such loveless unions, and it is well reflected in the perception of their generations.

Reciprocol Love is Heaven upon the Earth. No power in the world is greater... not even Death can divide them.

Ninth Scribe

Tania
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Reciprocol Love is Heaven upon the Earth. No power in the world is greater... not even Death can divide them.

Ninth Scribe
:) So true....very well said

Munda Pakistani
12-17-2006, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
What in the world... am I missing something here?
i'd like to know about this too - first time i ever heard about it. (but then, that doesn't mean much for me!)
In some rural areas people "marry" their daughters to the Qur'an so that no husband lays a claim t a share of their wealth. Sick I know :heated:

Ninth_Scribe
12-17-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
:) So true....very well said
Azrael's Inscription:

Snowflake
12-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Just wondering why Musharraf didn't do this earlier? Another card for Musharaf to throw with the general elections coming up in 2007.

aamirsaab
12-18-2006, 02:08 PM
If you can pay off the cops, what use is a new law?

Maarya
12-18-2006, 02:13 PM
salam

finally they've done something about it! if u ask anyone in the west they'll say that islam has forced marriages when its not; its the asian culture. hopefully this will be a step in the west understanding about forced marriages and Islam

wslm

Ninth_Scribe
12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
salam

finally they've done something about it! if u ask anyone in the west they'll say that islam has forced marriages when its not; its the asian culture. hopefully this will be a step in the west understanding about forced marriages and Islam

wslm
Most of the west knows this to be an "old school" approach - especially practiced in aristocratic and royal lines. It's hardly viewed as specifically Islamic, since the western hemisphere has been equally as guilty.

Ninth Scribe

Skillganon
12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
If you can pay off the cops, what use is a new law?
LOL. you can do that. Same in most Indian continent.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.