/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick behaving badly?

Snowflake
12-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Salam,
Is it just me or are cartoons a bad influence on kids? Who'd have imagined a bit of sponge with square pants can worry a mother a mother of an 8 year old son. But it did!

I was watching the cartoon with my son and Spongebob's mate Patrick aka Patricia dressed as a girl went to the CrustyCrab. All the males went wild. I mean Squidwid and the others were all fighting for his (her) attention just because he'd donned a short skirt and a bit of lippy. I was like oh ow..this can't be good for my son - right? I'm petrifieddd.... I was thinking is this somehow teaching my son that this is how men should react when they see sucha female? I know they're only fish* but still? :confused:

Hmmm... I dunno.. might sound silly, but could kids be influenced by things like this at this age?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuSe
12-08-2006, 10:22 PM
It has been stated quite a few times in the past that Spongebob is depicted as a homosexual. This has never been confirmed, but I suppose it is better to avoid it.:) Better to avoid a lot of television programs

Snowflake
12-08-2006, 11:43 PM
What?? You serious??? :uuh:

And as far as avoiding is concerned.. we should ban TV altogether. What's to be gained from it? It's just a waste of time. And staring at the opposite gender... is def haram. Not forgetting to mention half-naked actors of the same sex.

I know someone's gonna say it's ok if we watch islamic programmes but even then we're looking at the opposite gender. We can read books and listen to audios instead. Agree?

MuSe
12-08-2006, 11:57 PM
I certainly agree with you sister. Time can be better spent.

And to return on your first answer: yes really. It even appeared in newspapers that Spongebob had a lot of homosexual characteristics in his behaviour. Even here in Belgium (not very pro-"Islamic ideas" to say the least) they discussed whether it wasn't a bad influence to let children watch it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
12-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Spongebob Squarepants is an innocent cartoon whose writers have a crazy and surreal sense of humour. I've seen it and found it hilarious. If parents would rather their kids don't watch it, that's fine - but I don't think it's promoting homosexuality or anything like that.

England
12-09-2006, 12:03 AM
We non-muslims don't lower our gaze. We don't follow Islam and neither does the author of spongebob squarepants. This isn't an Islamic ruled world. Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work. If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.

Dahir
12-09-2006, 03:53 AM
This is a hot topic, so I'll dish out my two cents:

Some people on this board may tell you that you should just let your kids watch, say, and do anything that strikes their young, so-called 'innocent' minds, and that they won't go far astray as some say...but that's a lie.

I've witnessed two households, mine and my uncle's.

My parents are very laid back and uber-liberal if you'd say, and my siblings and I have turned out fine -- all but the fact that we've nearly excluded our parents from our lives; sometimes its tough thinking that our parents have influence, especially the lack they've been showing in our early years.

My uncle's household is very tight-knit and ultra-conservative, so his kids reflect his every move and they are scholars those in their 20s and are extremely pious -- the least I can say for some of my siblings.

You see, its not just SpongeBob that a lesson should be learned, but the level of control you should have over your children's lives.

Don't listen to others, TAKE CONTROL!

*sorry for my rant, but I'm an expert observer of random socialogical happenings*

...apologies given...

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 04:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
And as far as avoiding is concerned.. we should ban TV altogether. What's to be gained from it? It's just a waste of time. And staring at the opposite gender... is def haram. Not forgetting to mention half-naked actors of the same sex.
:sl:

That is very true when it comes to adults, but for little kids, are allowed to have fun and stuff. They wouldnt understand if we banned tv altogther for them. If it worries you, you can watch the shows before your son does and then only let him watch the ones you think are decent (I guess you can tape them off tv and watch it first or something). But that can be a huge hassle I guess. :rollseyes

If you are correct to be worried. When something indecent like that comes up, you should be sure to point it out to your son that this is unislamic behaviour.

I know someone's gonna say it's ok if we watch islamic programmes but even then we're looking at the opposite gender. We can read books and listen to audios instead. Agree?
lol sis we dont have to look at the tv when theres a male on their talking. ;)

Skillganon
12-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Salam,
Is it just me or are cartoons a bad influence on kids? Who'd have imagined a bit of sponge with square pants can worry a mother a mother of an 8 year old son. But it did!

I was watching the cartoon with my son and Spongebob's mate Patrick aka Patricia dressed as a girl went to the CrustyCrab. All the males went wild. I mean Squidwid and the others were all fighting for his (her) attention just because he'd donned a short skirt and a bit of lippy. I was like oh ow..this can't be good for my son - right? I'm petrifieddd.... I was thinking is this somehow teaching my son that this is how men should react when they see sucha female? I know they're only fish* but still? :confused:

Hmmm... I dunno.. might sound silly, but could kids be influenced by things like this at this age?
If you ask me are people affected by the what they come in contact with be it observation or interaction. Well yes we are, and it can shape individual, that will differ from individual to individual. All one can say it does have influence. It's call conditioning.
We do it all it time even now! to ourselve.
Sometime it is hard to come out from that condition later on when we do wan't to change ourselve.

So it matter's what is the right/correct/beneficial conditioning or that wrong/incorrect/harmful conditioning.

Skillganon
12-09-2006, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
... If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.
It is not a bad advice but simply more to put it, don't watch certain programme's.

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 04:18 AM

^Yeh I agree with skillganon. Kids are also affected heaps by observation. There have been many experiments to show this, specifically the one by Bandura, it shows very clearly how children can pick up aggression by observation.

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work.
Er speak for yourself. Many of us dont and we feel insulted when perverted men dont know how to keep their eyes to themselves.

lyesh
12-09-2006, 05:26 AM
As far as i know, it is bad influence on kids! yea... they do learn a lot! but they do learn a lot which are against Islam too! Insha Allah I will not let my child watch these things. I wud give him/her more islamic and useful things to do in sparetime! :D insha Allah.

Rabiyal
12-09-2006, 06:07 AM
It has been stated quite a few times in the past that Spongebob is depicted as a homosexual.
First thing it was not spongebob it was Barney.

Secondly, I am a mother of a 4 yr old daughter who use to watch Spongebob, I found the samething you did sis Muslimah, so what I did I changed the channel and let her watch Dora.

Now she's the one who changes the channel and doesn't like Spongebob.

We can't stop our kids from watching TV, tell you the truth, I think it's good for them. The reason being, my daughter learned her ABC, 123s, and all the small nursery rhymes from watching these shows like Dora and Barney. It helps me too, they teach them to clean up, Help others, play nicely, and she does that, and references Dora and Barney when talking to her little sisters.
So I don't know how many of you are parents, But inshaAllah when the time comes for all of you then try putting Islam in EVERYTHING you do with them. I want my girls to be good Muslimahs and I want to teach them everything but in the quantity they can take in, and remember it. I read with them, play games with but I need my time to do other household chores too. and so then my "digital babysitter (tv)" comes into play, and now with the comfort of DVR it's made simple I just hit play and they can watch the show again and agian.

All you have to remember Sis is that if you don't like it then you don't have to explain yourself to your little boy, just change the channel. If something you think is not good for them it's just not good for them. They will learn to live with it and change their habbits. Which is easier now when they are young.
So good luck, and May Allah bless your boy!!!

Rabiya

Rabiyal
12-09-2006, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Er speak for yourself. Many of us dont and we feel insulted when perverted men dont know how to keep their eyes to themselves.
Very well put!!!! you tell 'em sis;D

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabiyal
We can't stop our kids from watching TV, tell you the truth, I think it's good for them. The reason being, my daughter learned her ABC, 123s, and all the small nursery rhymes from watching these shows like Dora and Barney. It helps me too, they teach them to clean up, Help others, play nicely, and she does that, and references Dora and Barney when talking to her little sisters.

Mashaallah thats very true sis, the trick is making sure they are watching the right things, we dont want them to waste away infront of useless shows.

I wish we had some educational shows for kids made by Muslims! That would be excellent! Imagine, on top of learring their abc's, and 123's they could be learning Quran and supplications and stuff :shade:

Rabiyal
12-09-2006, 06:22 AM
I know, I ordered Ary Digital, and we watch Iqra Half hour show together, and they like, cuz they get to wear my Hijab and they sit together and repeat as the Imam read. So that's good for them I think... I Hope they can just make it Local. So everyone can watch it.

mano_the_cat
12-09-2006, 09:25 AM
dear sis, have you tried baby tv. its got good material for kids. though its good for toddlers & kids around 3-4 years but it shows good thing nothing like spongebob etc. cartoon these days arent the good type, somehow they arent helping kids in their learning capabilities as much as they should.

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
We non-muslims don't lower our gaze. We don't follow Islam and neither does the author of spongebob squarepants. This isn't an Islamic ruled world. Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work. If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.
some women like to be gazed at, but not all women enjoy being regarded as a piece of meat and not all women enjoy seeing the use of women's bodies to sell everything from cars to guitars. and you don't have to be a muslim to feel this way.
as far as spongebob & friends, i have no idea what this is all about. (but found this thread hilarious, nonetheless. i don't have a tv and wouldn't want one even for free.

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Yer you said it snakelegs! :shade:

About this spongebob is gay business, I would be more worried about what school kids are sent too, apparently in lots of public schools kids are being taught that homosexuality is normal even in primary school. :uuh: Thats more worring than a subtley gay sponge..

btw... Songebob is the one who looks like a sponge, the other dude is patrick:

England
12-09-2006, 10:15 AM
That's because you're muslim. Non muslim women love the attention.

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 10:24 AM
That's because you're muslim. Non muslim women love the attention.
did you read my post? :grumbling
thanks for the pic, cheese.

England
12-09-2006, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
did you read my post? :grumbling
thanks for the pic, cheese.
In response to your post I haven't met any gal that's had any problem but then again I don't stare that long. If I did then I'd probably start talking to her. Women LOVE the attention. It just depends on how old you are and what you look like. One gal I know, if they like the guy and he starts staring at her she gets embarrassed but she loves it.

snakelegs
12-09-2006, 10:36 AM
some women LOVE the attention.
some women hate it and find it very degrading, believe it or not.

England
12-09-2006, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
some women LOVE the attention.
some women hate it and find it very degrading, believe it or not.

It probably comes with age.

Malaikah
12-09-2006, 11:08 AM
^Actually it comes with the realisation that women are humans and should be treated with respect, not as objects for any random mans pleasure, and that morality is a very important contributer to the development of society.

Not to mention, we dont associate wisdom with old age for nothing.

MuSe
12-09-2006, 12:56 PM
First thing it was not spongebob it was Barney.

Oh, could be. Sorry sister, my mistake.:) I never watched the programme, just read about the controverse in our newspapers I think about 4 or 5 years ago (maybe even longer, don't know exactly). So I only remembered that it was in this show. Anyways, result stays the same.

Snowflake
12-09-2006, 01:43 PM
England - We non-muslims don't lower our gaze. We don't follow Islam and neither does the author of spongebob squarepants. This isn't an Islamic ruled world. Women liked to be gazed at, they feel complimented and sometimes they may even tease like a few where I work. If you find it wrong then just simply don't watch Western TV.
The point here I'm trying to make is not what non muslims should or shouldn't do but what is harmful for muslims. Neither did I say Spongebob's producers should follow Islam. I think you totally missed the point. In fact I am just as against indecent asian TV as I am against the mind corrupting western media.

MashaAllah some good points made by other posters. Spongebob's just an example, there's a whole lot of children's programmes which are unsuitable for young muslims. I agree with Skillganon and Dahir - we can't just assume children aren't affected by what they see.. and we definitely don't want them confusing love with lust, which is exactly what much of TV portrays.

Malaikah sis, I agree and do point out to my son what is haram etc... for instance if we come across a couple kissing on screen, I tell him that it is haram for muslims to do that except if they are married. But images like that stick in a young mind and God forbid kids act out what they see. But like you said it's hard vetting everything they view. So they might see something without our knowledge. So the TV's gonna have to go.

But back to my other point. TV isn't good for us adults either. I know we can spend our time in more useful ways if if weren't glued to the TV in our spare time. Wouldn't that force us to get off our backsides and do something for ourselves and the ummah instead?

:w:

Malaikah
12-10-2006, 01:14 AM

^Yeh I agree 100% about the adults thing too. Unless of course they are watching something Islamic or educational, thats different, but being glued to stupid tv shows is the biggest waste of time ever, no matter how old you are.

Skillganon
12-10-2006, 01:32 AM
It probably comes with age.
Your funny. :giggling:

Hijaabi22
12-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Spongebob Sqaure Pants Does My Bloody Nuttttttttttt In Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Its All Ma Baby Bruv Watches At Home!!!!!!! I Gta Control Maself To Stop Maself Pounchin Da Telly In

AvarAllahNoor
12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
If you don't expose them to it at a young age, they'll rebel when they are at a later stage in life.

Skillganon
12-10-2006, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
If you don't expose them to it at a young age, they'll rebel when they are at a later stage in life.
For Spongebob Squarepants? :rollseyes

M.I.A.
12-10-2006, 06:00 PM
probably not a very funny thing to post...
http://postmodern-research.blogspot....paying_29.html

AvarAllahNoor
12-10-2006, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
For Spongebob Squarepants? :rollseyes
lol, no this no woman and western values.

GARY
12-10-2006, 08:53 PM
In the movie, Spongebob and Patrick have a 'bag of winds' that will transport them for their return trip on their adventure, Patrick is asked if he has the bag of winds for their return trip. He replys "oh yeah" and turns sideways to reveal a lump in the back of his pants. Spongebob laughs and patrick gets out the bag of winds, but the lump is still there! Spongbob, stares...........:uuh:

Snowflake
12-11-2006, 03:04 PM
lol, no this no woman and western values.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that but even if it's meant in one of the two ways possible I still disagree.

Most kids rebel not because they can't have a girlfriend/boyfriend but because they haven't been given enough love and attention from their parents. That love doesn't have to include allowing that kind of exposure.

Btw, is that what you meant?

but being glued to stupid tv shows is the biggest waste of time ever, no matter how old you are.
absolutely right... and all them bollywood love stories must be the worst in corrupting young minds..
Do you agree AvarAllahNoor?

Rabiyal
12-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Most kids rebel not because they can't have a girlfriend/boyfriend but because they haven't been given enough love and attention from their parents. That love doesn't have to include allowing that kind of exposure.

Btw, is that what you meant?
no sis that's not what they meant. They meant, beling glued to the one particular show, meaning spongebob. and I agree with Noor, that if you don't change their habbits when they are young it gets worst as they grow old, and kids become rebelious, and they think they know what they want. So the particular episode we were talking about, if we see it we should just change the channel or distract them to do something else. Which so far has worked like a gem for me.

Correct me if i am wrong!!!

Re.TiReD
12-11-2006, 03:22 PM
lol I read the title of this thread and though....;D lol but MASHA'ALLAH good point there...I dont have kidz but Insha'Allah if I ever do firstly I wouldnt have T.V and if I did I wouldnt let em watch silly irrelevant stuff like spongebob and tweenies or any of that rubbish :grumbling I mean...whats the point? :? you can read to em or play with em...they dont need the t.v :w:

Musaafirah
12-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't get the point in Sponge bob..there's just no educational values..it's just a cartoon to make kids (of all ages) laugh I guess..
And to England..I totally disagree with what you're saying, none of my friends like the attention they get..it's totally degrading for them! one of them got wolf whistled at and she went up and punched his face in (LOL!)
So DON'T bother trying to tarnish all women with the same brush.
:w:

aamirsaab
12-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I studied "the effects of cartoons on children" in psychology. Yes they do have some influence on a child (well, to be absolutely honest, mankind learns a considerably large amount of actions from observation). However, this depends on whether or not the action was inforced as "bad" or "good" by other characters: those that are inforced as "good" are generally copied by manking, not just children might I add.

By default, all actions are generally accepted except ones that evoke an emotional response within the individual (death etc) as the child will know within themselves that the action is wrong (gut feelings, instinc etc). It is therefore upto the adult to tell the child that action X is wrong - in these cases, sympathy should be explained to children.

Personally, I'd watch the program with my child. Children are very clever at pointing "odd" things out in programs, so atleast I'd be there to explain the situation.

format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A
probably not a very funny thing to post...
http://postmodern-research.blogspot....paying_29.html
The blogger obviously does not know what satire is. Spongebob uses a lot of satire and sarcasm in addition to loveable sea-creatures, oh and a squirrel. That's comedy genius right there: a freakin squirrel that lives under water, albeit with a space helmet on and a starfish with a pair of underpants - I don't know about you, but that cracks me up every time.

(sorry for that large-ish post. Kudos to you if you did actually read it.)

Snowflake
12-11-2006, 03:58 PM
no sis that's not what they meant. They meant, beling glued to the one particular show, meaning spongebob. and I agree with Noor, that if you don't change their habbits when they are young it gets worst as they grow old, and kids become rebelious, and they think they know what they want. So the particular episode we were talking about, if we see it we should just change the channel or distract them to do something else. Which so far has worked like a gem for me.

Correct me if i am wrong!!!
I think AvarAllahNoor was saying that if we don't expose kids to what is forbidden, they will do it when they're older? Maybe I've misunderstood. Personally I think the more kids are exposed to wrong things the more chances there are of them being influenced.

dreamer
lol I read the title of this thread and though.... lol but MASHA'ALLAH good point there...I dont have kidz but Insha'Allah if I ever do firstly I wouldnt have T.V and if I did I wouldnt let em watch silly irrelevant stuff like spongebob and tweenies or any of that rubbish I mean...whats the point? you can read to em or play with em...they dont need the t.v
You know what it is sis? Single parents and often those with one child have a heck of hard time in keeping a child entertained or occupied. All mums know they have housework to do TV is the only helping hand sometimes. Honestly you can only play and read so much with a child. There've been times when the TV had to babysit for me lol.

When families lived together, kids always had someone to play with. Mothers babysat for each other and it was safe for the kids to play out. These days unless you're living back home, things are totally different. The TV is the new nanny.

AbdulHassanAmir
12-11-2006, 11:38 PM
Whats generally wrong with these type of shows is they believe they have the same exact audience they had 5 years ago, which is why they mature them I suppose. I was watching a youtube clip about this foolish spongebob movie and I couldn't believe what I saw- Spongebob and Patrick were high and "stoned" from over eating cake.

AvarAllahNoor
12-12-2006, 03:05 AM
I think AvarAllahNoor was saying that if we don't expose kids to what is forbidden, they will do it when they're older? Maybe I've misunderstood. Personally I think the more kids are exposed to wrong things the more chances there are of them being influenced.

Sister i don't mean they should be exposed to drink and naked flesh. If you sit and explain to the child this is what you've just seen, but this is the truth regarding it. They'll understand it well. We have a saying 'The first teacher of the child is the mother and father'

Sat Shri Akal
:)

aamirsaab
12-12-2006, 10:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdulHassanAmir
I was watching a youtube clip about this foolish spongebob movie and I couldn't believe what I saw- Spongebob and Patrick were high and "stoned" from over eating cake.
LOL!

You know what, I don't think it's the cartoon that's the problem, I think it boils down to whether or not you have that particular sense of humour. Clearly, some here do have it and some do not.

Snowflake
12-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Sister i don't mean they should be exposed to drink and naked flesh. If you sit and explain to the child this is what you've just seen, but this is the truth regarding it. They'll understand it well. We have a saying 'The first teacher of the child is the mother and father'

Sat Shri Akal
:)
My apologies for misunderstanding your post. Thanks for the clarification. I agree about explaining to children there and then if they see/hear something that goes against our own teachings. Alhumdulillah, I do that every time. But vetting isn't 100% effective. A parent may have gone to answer the phone/door/bathroom and it only takes a few seconds for a child to have seen something they shouldn't. The only sure-fire way I can think of is a total ban on such programmes.

And yes we do that saying too. I think that's a universal belief. :)

Good post Aamir! (41#)

- Qatada -
12-13-2006, 05:55 PM
:salamext:

Make them watch islamic cartoons instead?

http://www.kalamullah.com/cartoons.html

http://www.islamicvideos.net/compone...,81/Itemid,30/

I think that would be more beneficial and rewarding insha'Allaah.

Snowflake
12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
wowwwwww tnx bro.. we're just settling to watch The Boy & The King now. :happy:

Snowflake
12-13-2006, 09:39 PM
MashaAllah, that was really gr8. JazakAllah khair again. I was worried my son might not find it too interesting, but he absolutely loved it.

MohamedGPYT
05-02-2020, 01:23 AM
Well, if you want to watch, watch the MBC3 version that censors and/or cuts anti-islamic pics. Some episodes are BANNED too.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if you want to watch, watch the MBC3 version that censors and/or cuts anti-Islamic pics. Some episodes are BANNED too.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if you want to watch, watch the MBC3 version that censors and/or cuts anti-Islamic pics. Some episodes are BANNED too.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.