/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Litvinenko, Terrorism & Chechnya

snakelegs
12-11-2006, 05:15 AM
i don't keep up on the news. so i was aware that there was this spy case and it was some kind of a Big Deal and Important, but had no idea what it was all about. for days i've been meaning to read up on it - well last night i finally did. i took the lazy way - wikipedia and read some things that are really of extremely important significance, if this stuff turns out to be true.. i'm surprised there hasn't been discussion of this stuff here. so i am just going to excerpt some quotes from wiki in case some of you are as ignorant as i was.
to read the whole article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litvinenko
(the FSB is the successor to the soviet KGB (secret police)
"Litvinenko published books in the UK, where he described Vladimir Putin's rise to power as a coup d'état organized by the FSB. He stated a key element of FSB's strategy was to frighten Russians by bombing apartment buildings in Moscow and other Russian cities. He alleged the bombings were organized by FSB and blamed on Chechen terrorists to legitimise reprisals using military force in Chechnya."

"Litvinenko stated in a June 2003 interview, with the Australian SBS television programme Dateline, that two of the Chechen terrorists involved in the 2002 Moscow theatre hostage crisis — whom he named as "Abdul the Bloody" and "Abu Bakar" — were working for the FSB, and that the agency manipulated the rebels into staging the attack.[15] Litvinenko said: "[w]hen they tried to find [Abdul the Bloody and Abu Bakar] among the dead terrorists, they weren't there. The FSB got its agents out. So the FSB agents among Chechens organised the whole thing on FSB orders, and those agents were released." The story about FSB connections with the hostage takers was confirmed by Mikhail Trepashkin.[6]"

"With regard to 2005 bombings in London, Litvinenko said that "all the bloodiest terrorists of the world" were connected to FSB-KGB, including Carlos Ramiros the "Jackal", Yassir Arafat, Saddam Hussein, Abdullah Öcalan, Wadie Haddad of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, George Hawi who led the Communist Party of Lebanon, Ezekias Papaioannou from the Cyprus, and Sean Garland from Ireland. He said that the "terrorism infection creeps away worldwide from the cabinets of the Lubyanka Square and the Kremlin".[19][20] These claims are supported by Mitrokhin archive."

from a wiki link
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120100452.html

(Mikhail Trepashkin was "the former officer for the Federal Security Service, or FSB")

"Trepashkin was arrested in October 2003 and convicted on charges of divulging state secrets while investigating allegations of FSB involvement in a series of deadly apartment bombings that killed about 300 people in Moscow and two other cities in 1999. The government blamed the explosions on Chechnya-based rebels, but Litvinenko and other Kremlin critics alleged they were staged by authorities as a pretext for launching the current Chechen war."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-11-2006, 03:40 PM
No doubt there were many reasons Moscow wouldn't grieve if Litvinenko was dead. The KGB element in all of this is interesting, and it seems the radioactive material trail leads to Moscow and beyond. Very strange case. Hopefully someday we will know the truth, but I kind of doubt it.

Sis786
12-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah im too eager to know the truth behind the whole thing, im suprised the whole thing was made public but i suppose it had to be with the radioactive subsidence that still may harm people. Its about time we know the truth i mean this guy must have been a threat and mostly a person is a threat becuase they know somehting which can really bring someone or something down.

Chechnya
12-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I believe one of the main reasons for Brother Alexander Litvenenkos murder was because of his exposing the Russian goverments role in the apartment bombings of 1999 which killed 300.

As an insider he had info which others didnt - him exposing that Russia was behind its own mini 9-11 is like an ex-cia agent coming out and exposing the bush administrations role in the 9-11 attacks

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.