/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is 'Rafael' islamic name?

whitemuslimah
12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Salaams,

Just looking for some opinions. I am expecting a baby boy and i am looking for an islamic name beginning with 'R' (so wishes his dad), so it has to start with 'R'. My mum-in-law :) suggested the name 'Rafael' which everybody including myself really likes. The only thing is i am not sure if it is really islamic name, because i looked thru the lists of islamic baby boy names and it never comes on them, however mum-in-law says she thinks she came across it in the Quran (she is not 100% sure either). Does anyone know any muslims named Rafael or has ideas on the origin of the name?

If you have any nice baby boy names in mind i will be glad to hear:) The criteria is it must begin with 'R', have good meaning and be easy to pronounce for a person who can't speak arabic/urdu/punjaby etc ...

Thank you very much

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Lina
12-11-2006, 06:40 PM
:sl:

According to the Hadith, Israfil (Raphael in Arabic) is the Angel responsible for signalling the coming of Judgment Day by blowing a horn and sending out a "Blast of Truth". Unlike Jibrail(Gabriel) and Mikail(Michael), this archangel was not mentioned by name in the Quran.

Israfil is the angel given the ‘soor’ (literally means Horn, Trumpet). He is ready to blow the blasts ushering in the Day of Judgement upon Allah's command.

It is reported the Messenger of Allah sallah Allah alayhi wa sallam said, "How can I enjoy myself when the one with the ‘Soor’ has raised the ‘Soor’ to his mouth, knitted his brow and is waiting to blow? They said, "What should we say, Messenger of Allah? He replied, "Say: Allah is enough for us, and the best Guardian. We have put our trust in Allah. (At-Tirmidhi).

The ‘du’a’ (supplication) of the Prophet sallah Allah alayhi wa sallam concerning these three angels is, "O Allah, Lord of Jibril, Mika’il, and Israfil, Bringer of the heavens and the earth into being, Knower of the unseen and visible, it is You who judges between Your slaves concerning the things about which they disagree. Guide us to the truth in respect of the things about which there is disagreement by Your permission. You guide whomever You will to a straight path."

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive...VoteResult=yes

Wa Allahu A'lam.

rubiesand
12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
:w:

I like the name 'Rayan' sometimes spelled 'Raiyan'. It's the name of one of the gates of heaven.

May Allah bless you in your pregnancy and delivery!

Fishman
12-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Rehan? My friend's called that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM

i dont really know...but what i do know is that it is the name of one of the turtles in TMNT i.e. teenage mutant ninja turtles

rubiesand
12-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah aren't all the turtles named after Renaissance painters? There was a famous renaissance painter called Raphael.

learningislam
12-11-2006, 08:56 PM
:salamext:

sis.....i found these names.....hope you find these helpful....inshaAllah.

Raheel One who shows the way, Fearless or Brave.
Rahat Rest, Response.
Rafiq Kind, friend.
Rafi High, High-ranking, cultured, refined.
Raashid Guided, Intelligent.
Raamiz Symbol.
Raihan Heavens' Flower.
Raiyan Satisfaction, contented.
Rasheed Rationale, Prutend, Intelligent, Rightly-guided.
Ridwan Keeper of the gates of heaven.
Rohail Noble.
Rayan The gate of heaven which allows fasting people in Ramadan to enter.

source:
http://www.muslim-names.co.uk/muslim...names-R-1.html

:wasalamex

learningislam
12-25-2006, 07:33 AM

sis, which name have you chosen?
I will add more if i find inshaAllah...

Abdul-Raouf
12-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Rafael Nadal is the name of a TENNIS STAR PLAYER...he is the "CLAY COURT KING"..but he is a christian..

sorry i dont know any muslim with that name..

asma2
12-25-2006, 07:43 AM
my brother's friend is called Rafael.

Abdul-Raouf
12-25-2006, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asma2
my brother's friend is called Rafael.
Is ur brother's friend a muslim ???

mariam.
12-25-2006, 10:06 AM
peace be upon you all :
I think that rayan is very beautiful name and ridwan too .
but I have a note the names: Jibrail(Gabriel) and Mikail(Michael) are mentioned in koran : " Whoever is an enemy to God and his angels and apostles, to Gabriel and Michael, lo! God is an enemy to those who reject faith."
anyway i ask god to lead your son to the stright way and to make him one of his righteous slave .. peace

AvarAllahNoor
12-25-2006, 12:10 PM
He was a teenage mutant turtle wasn' he?

whitemuslimah
12-25-2006, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by learningislam

sis, which name have you chosen?
I will add more if i find inshaAllah...

well i asked the scholar on islamonline.net and here's the info he gave me:

"In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Islamic rule in naming a child is that any name is acceptable as long as it has no un-Islamic connotations or bad associations; it does not have to be an Arabic name as long as the meaning is acceptable.

The word Rafael does not occur in the Qur'an; but it is said to be the name of an angel, according to the Christian and Jewish tradition. The word is said to mean, "God has healed; so it is not wrong to call your child by that name. If you wish another name starting with "R", here are a few:
Ramzi, Razi, Rami, Rauf, Raheem, Rayhan, etc. "

so according to him it is ok to name a boy Rafael, but i am going to ask few more scholars just to be on the safe side

whitemuslimah
12-25-2006, 12:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mariam.
peace be upon you all :
I think that rayan is very beautiful name and ridwan too .
but I have a note the names: Jibrail(Gabriel) and Mikail(Michael) are mentioned in koran : " Whoever is an enemy to God and his angels and apostles, to Gabriel and Michael, lo! God is an enemy to those who reject faith."
anyway i ask god to lead your son to the stright way and to make him one of his righteous slave .. peace
two of his brothers are called rehan and rizwan:) which i guess are variations of rayan and ridwan

Takumi
12-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Rikimaru is pretty cool

Endymion
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM

I have a question so i decided to ask it here.Is it permissible to name your kid "Marhab" as it was the leader of jews killed by Ali RA.I read this name some where they named their kid Marhab and i was surprised that was a Jewish leader :hmm: And what does that mean BTW.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.