/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Go Home, you'll never Win'

England
12-11-2006, 09:58 PM
The British Army is using a new weapon in its fight against the Taliban in Afghanistan - the text message.

Intelligence chiefs find out their enemies' mobile numbers and bombard them with messages to confuse them and destroy morale, according to The Sun.

Some messages are simply designed to discourage them, such as "We know who you are, give up" or "Go home, you'll never beat us".

Others are disguised as messages from comrades to spread duff information.

And attacks on Royal Marine commandos in lawless Helmand province have reportedly dropped since the initiative began last month.

The text attacks are carried out by the 15 (UK) Psychological Operations Group, based at the Intelligence Corps' HQ in Chicksands, Bedfordshire.

A military source in Afghanistan said: "If they know their fight is pointless, they are quite likely to give up."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-13-2006, 03:57 AM
When I read something like this I can't help but wonder if the "effect" of this operation might have been longer lasting if it wasn't plastered all over the news. Granted, most of these Taliban types don't have access to a television in most cases, but still.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-13-2006, 04:02 AM
:sl:

This will only make them even more steadfast upon what they are doing and make their faith even more firm.

Ps- You are to link to where you got the article from, forum rules.

Keltoi
12-13-2006, 04:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.

This will only make them even more steadfast upon what they are doing and make their faith even more firm.

Ps- You are to link to where you got the article from, forum rules.
You are assuming these people are fighting for faith. Perhaps they are, if their faith includes chopping the head off school teachers in front of children.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Agnostic
12-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Just thought I would add this article too
http://www.latimes.com/news/la-fg-sc...ck=1&cset=true

Agnostic
12-13-2006, 05:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Sorry need to be a registered member to view it.
Sorry Ill see if I can find another link

Agnostic
12-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Ok Ill see if this works

In Afghanistan, lessons in the face of violence
Educators persevere despite the constant threat of Taliban attacks.
By Paul Watson, Times Staff Writer
December 3, 2006
THE teacher had been warned.

Mohammed Aref was on duty near the front gate of his school. The children were at recess, playing volleyball without a net.

The throaty rumble of a motorcycle broke through their playful shrieks and laughter. The lone rider, a man wearing a traditional shalwar kameez with his face obscured by the long tail of his turban, called Aref over to talk. Then he pulled an AK-47 from under his baggy shirt and fired six bullets into the teacher.

Aref had no way to defend himself. His only weapons were his faith in knowledge, some tattered books and a piece of chalk. He died in the dirt in front of horrified pupils.

Fifteen days earlier, Taliban guerrillas had come in the darkness and posted a "night letter" on the door of his farmhouse, telling the 50-year-old teacher to stay away from the school if he wanted to stay alive.

Aref, who earned just $50 a month, stood his ground. One of the first victims in the resurgent Taliban's dirty war on education, he gave his life trying to teach Afghan children that there is more to theirs than endless war.

After the U.S. joined with anti-Taliban militias five years ago to bring down the Islamist government, one of the biggest changes was in education. The Taliban, whose name means "students," regard Western-style education as a direct threat to the vision of a pure Islamic state. Its followers regard modern education as a morally toxic force of Western colonialism.

The Taliban's founders learned their disdain for most things modern in radical religious schools in Pakistan, where the only legitimate subject is study of the Koran. Extremist mullahs teach a harsh version of Islam that professes to be a return to traditions established by the prophet Muhammad.

A decade ago, when the Taliban swept across southern Afghanistan to seize the capital, Kabul, the mullahs issued edicts closing the women's university and most girls' schools. A collapsing infrastructure made it difficult for many boys to attend school as well.

When schools reopened in 2002 after the ouster of the Taliban regime, only about a third of Afghanistan's school-age children were in class. Today, the World Bank says, the figure is 87%, about 6.5 million pupils, a reflection of the hope of Afghan parents that the U.S.-backed government will be able to bring their country into the modern world. Some aid workers estimate the figure is much lower.

The United States has distributed textbooks and supplies, trained 50,000 teachers and rebuilt 672 schools.

But once again, education is under pressure from the Taliban. The militants are active once more across at least half of the country, including the southern province of Helmand, where Aref died in December 2005. Afghanistan's corrupt police and weak army are unable to provide much security.

Over the last year, insurgents have burned at least 146 schools, and insecurity has forced 215 others to close, the Afghan Education Ministry says. Zuhoor Afghan, an advisor to Education Minister Mohammed Hanif Atmar, says about 220,000 students have quit school because they fear for their lives.

To his wife and their seven children, and the many villagers who respected him, Aref was a mujahid, a courageous man engaged in a holy struggle to defeat ignorance and hatred so Afghanistan might know peace.

"He loved teaching," said his brother, Mohammed Rafiq Mohammedi. "It was important to him because he wanted students to learn what he knew and build the nation, to work for the people."

Continuing threats

The day after Aref died, none of his school's 1,300 students or their teachers showed up for class.

Their principal, Noor Mohammed, spent weeks trying to undo the damage, sitting with parents for hours, trying to convince them they had to keep the school open.

"They said, 'Unless you guarantee the security of our children, we will not allow them to go to school,' " he recalled outside the deserted school recently. "I said, 'I cannot guarantee the lives of your children, but they must study as much as they can.' "

As he desperately tried to reassure parents and children, Mohammed received his own night letter, which was posted on the gate of the local mosque for all to see.

Drop this business of teaching and the school or you will be responsible for your own death," it warned. "If you continue, you will have to wash your hands of your life."

Like Aref, the principal kept going, but he couldn't vanquish the terror sown by the Taliban or protect his school.

Even where Taliban violence isn't threatening schools, Afghanistan's other problems are. Across the country, schools are in crisis because of corrupt contractors, shoddy building practices and a chronic shortage of textbooks and trained teachers, said Afghan, the Education Ministry official.

"If they have teachers, they don't have books," he said. "If they have books, they have no chairs. If they have fancy buildings, they have no toilets."

The government doesn't even know how many teachers there are because it is still awaiting the results of a head count started early this year. Despite the progress in many areas, every district in the country is reporting a shortage of qualified teachers, Afghan said.

"We need thousands of professional teachers, and we also need to train most of our professional teachers who are teaching now," he said. "There are students who have not even finished their schooling yet, but they are teaching. For example, students in grade 10 and 11 are teaching grade 3 or 4, and in some places it's even worse than that."

The situation is likely to improve under Atmar, the education minister, who has a strategic plan to improve the system, said Wagma Battoor Hassan Zumati, education program coordinator for CARE, a U.S.-based aid agency. Atmar won praise from foreign aid donors for his management of the rural reconstruction and development ministry.

But many Afghans are losing patience. Encouraged by the promises of Western leaders, they believed the Taliban's defeat meant the dawn of a new age of rapid progress, in which all children could get a good education. The plodding advances, even relapses to the more familiar rot of war and corruption in large parts of the country, feed a growing cynicism toward foreign governments and aid agencies.

"The optimism has died because these people are not honest with each other or with us," Afghan said. "They are working for their own benefit."

Woman of defiance

FATIMA MUSHTAQ put her life on the line long ago to help educate Afghanistan.

When the Taliban's mullahs ruled, she ran a secret school for women. Now, as head of education for Ghazni province in central Afghanistan, she is defying the extremists' efforts to turn back the clock. And, as a woman in a deeply conservative region, she also fights entrenched sexism and sclerotic bureaucracy.

Mushtaq does not hide her elegant face in public. She dares to adorn it with makeup. She covers her hair with a sheer white scarf, embroidered with delicate flowers, draped over her shoulders. Her voice is soft, but uncompromising.

And she packs a pistol.

"I can use it," she said with a steely smile.

She may have to. Last fall, Mushtaq received a night letter warning that she would be killed if she didn't quit her job and stay home.

"I said, 'Go ahead. Everything that you can do, I'm ready for it.' "

Friends and colleagues have tried to persuade her to give in to the threats. But Mushtaq feels the burden of a nation on her shoulders. She's afraid that if she surrenders, other women will give up too, and then everything they've gained will be lost.

And she has so much left to fight for.

"When we go to people and tell them, 'You should send your daughters to school,' they tell us, 'First you build a school, then we will send you our daughters,' " she said.

Over the last year, insurgents have killed a principal and one of his office staffers and burned more than a dozen of Ghazni's schools. Taliban threats have shut down at least 13 more, forcing their students to study in homes and mosques.

About half the province's schools have no buildings or tents, and 100,000 Ghazni students attend class in the open, many of them sitting in the broiling desert, Mushtaq said. Textbooks are in short supply everywhere.

But she insists on seeing the bright side.

"It's a bad situation with a good future," she said.

It takes a lot of optimism to see good things ahead for Ghazni villages such as Chaghatu, in a patch of windblown desert almost 100 miles southwest of Kabul. It is surrounded by barren, black mountains, a forbidding sanctuary for Taliban insurgents and their allies.

The villagers are ethnic Hazaras, who by one theory are descendants of Genghis Khan's Mongol army that invaded central Afghanistan in the 12th century. They have suffered persecution for generations, but after the Taliban's fall, they enjoyed a brief period of peace.

That changed a year ago when the insurgents suddenly grew stronger here. About 4 a.m. on May 29, marauders came down from the mountains and attacked Chaghatu's small school, just down the road from an Afghan army checkpoint.

A bomb placed in a storage room failed to explode, but ignited a fire that destroyed most of the books and part of the school. Villagers doused the flames with shovels of dirt and buckets of water, Principal Gul Mohammed said.

"There are a lot of motorcycles and cars passing us, and they are mostly Taliban or their informers," he said, with a worried eye to the dirt track that passes in front of his office window.

Twelve days before the attempted bombing, two men on a motorcycle passed by close to the gate about 5 p.m. One got off to warn the watchman that "girls should not go to school."

Some were moved the next day to a mosque. Several older girls remained in their regular classroom, where on a recent morning they still were studying. Sitting on floor mats, they were learning English.

"They are afraid of suicide attackers," the principal said. "They are afraid that someone might come into their class and explode or throw a grenade."

About 20 first-grade boys filled the scorched remains of the storage room, studying arithmetic under a burned-out ceiling, sitting on the floor in front of a blackboard propped against a charred wall. Other boys had their lessons in the hallway or outside on the hard dirt in the shade of a rear wall.

"Even though the school was burned, our students and teachers are more enthusiastic and they are still coming," said Mohammed Hassan, 25, the girls' cheery English teacher. "We won't be afraid of a single incident. A small warning cannot prevent us from teaching."

Mushtaq runs a department staffed by men, many of whom don't like working under a woman.

On a recent morning, one of her male staff members leaned over her large wooden desk and tried to browbeat her into returning a clerk she had shifted temporarily to another department. An elderly man in a turban demanded tents for his students. Several others reported new threats from the Taliban to kill teachers or burn schools and wanted to know what Mushtaq was going to do to protect them.

"It's the people's duty to protect their schools," she answered repeatedly, urging them to volunteer to guard the schools against Taliban attacks. "People have tried to persuade me to quit. I tell them, 'I'm a lady, but I'm strong and I'm brave.' "

Mushtaq had spent the morning fielding school security alerts on her cellphone, or from officials who traveled from remote villages.

Syed Dilawar, a 60-year-old clerk, joined the scrum of men pressing in around her desk. He had come more than 40 miles from a village in the desert of Qarah Bagh, to plead for protection from insurgents who were threatening to destroy his school.

He had traveled in a car with a woman and two other elderly men. Four Taliban guerrillas stopped them, and when they searched the car, they spotted the belt of Dilawar's satchel poking out from under the seat where he had tried to hide it. They found reports addressed to Mushtaq inside.

Dilawar acknowledged that the bag was his, and as the Taliban led him toward a nearby mountain, the female passenger, a stranger to him, fell at their feet, begging them not to kill him. The two male passengers added their appeals for mercy.

"I told them that I am the servant of the children of this country, and I am the servant of Afghan Muslims and I am the servant of Islam. I am the clerk that brings the salaries to the poor teachers of Ghazni," Dilawar said.

"Then they replied, 'You are not serving Islam, you are serving America, you are serving the infidels. You are misleading our children and you want them to become infidels too.' "

But the woman continued to cry, and on a forsaken stretch that some of the world's most powerful armies could not make safe, her tears were enough to spare Dilawar's life.

"She was the one who saved me," he said.

Challenges ahead

ONE of the children who saw Aref die was Saifullah, a 13-year-old third-grader with a gold pillbox Kandahari cap covered with tiny round mirrors that glint in the midday sun. Aref was his Pashto-language teacher.

Standing in the dirt yard where the educator was killed, the boy stretched his right arm behind his back, nervously clutching the crook of his left, and paid his slain teacher a simple tribute. "I liked him because he did not beat us," he said, adding almost as an afterthought: "And he was teaching very well."

Saifullah wants to be a doctor. His friend, Samidullah, 12, hopes to become an engineer. But the futures of millions of children, and of Afghanistan itself, in some measure depend on whether their schools continue to function.

Without education, the two boys here are more likely to be sucked back down into Helmand's swamp of war and drug trafficking.

Aref's own son, 10-year-old Mohammed Asif, goes to a nearby school that was recently renovated by an Afghan subcontractor working for the U.S. military. But within weeks, the paint was peeling again, the windowpanes were broken, and the concrete was cracking. The rebuilt road outside was also crumbling.

Afghans accuse the Americans of failing to keep their promise to fix the schools. "And then people think of them as real infidels," said the principal, Mohammed Rahim. The U.S. military said it was assigning engineers to repair teams to make sure it didn't happen again.

But engineering can't protect a school from a determined arsonist or bomber.

A few months after killing Aref, the Taliban guerrillas returned and set his school on fire. The flames destroyed the roof, melted window screens and blackened the mud-and-wattle walls.

In a hallway, an attacker used a piece of charcoal to write a lesson in bold Pashto.

"This is the country of betrayers," it said. "What good will it do you? We will discuss this in the next life and on doomsday."

Nearby, someone scrawled an apparent reply in smaller script: "Do you have hope for the country?"

And, as if to remove any doubt about his defiance, the writer added: "My country."

snakelegs
12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
what good are text messages in an area with a high rate of illiteracy?!
:?

FBI
12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
This Has to be a joke right, cause if someone is willing to die for a cause a stupid text message aint gonna do anything.

IbnAbdulHakim
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM
:salamext:

Dirty tactic, expected. Alls fair eh...

artillary and numbers mean nothing, Allaah swt is with the believers !

aamirsaab
12-13-2006, 10:50 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
what good are text messages in an area with a high rate of illiteracy?!
;D

What has me a bit confused is do the taliban use mobile phones at all? Additionally, if they do have that sort of technology, then I think they'd probably have some sort of access to the web and therefore to this article.

Also, I seriously doubt a text message is going to deter the taliban - these guys have beaten every force that has tried to invade their land with nothing but outdated weaponary from decades ago.

As for the actuall message: 'Go home' - afghanistan is their home....a humorous taliban fighter would just forward the message back to the sender.

You know, the more I think about this military tactic, the more holes are revealed, indicating a low level of effectiveness.

F.Y.
12-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow - when I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the England cricket team in Australia!! 'Go home (England) - you'll never win!'Hahahaha. Go the Aussies. :)

Keltoi
12-13-2006, 01:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

;D

What has me a bit confused is do the taliban use mobile phones at all? Additionally, if they do have that sort of technology, then I think they'd probably have some sort of access to the web and therefore to this article.

Also, I seriously doubt a text message is going to deter the taliban - these guys have beaten every force that has tried to invade their land with nothing but outdated weaponary from decades ago.

As for the actuall message: 'Go home' - afghanistan is their home....a humorous taliban fighter would just forward the message back to the sender.

You know, the more I think about this military tactic, the more holes are revealed, indicating a low level of effectiveness.
When they say "go home" that could mean any number of things. Go back to your house or go back to Pakistan. Many of these people are in Pakistan at the moment. Plus, it wasn't just the Taliban that defeated the Soviets, it was all of Afghanistan, including the Northern Alliance.

Umar001
12-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Wait, am confused, did the Taliban not allow girls to learn? I've heard that so much but I don't know if its true.

aamirsaab
12-13-2006, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
When they say "go home" that could mean any number of things. Go back to your house or go back to Pakistan. Many of these people are in Pakistan at the moment.
Even still, do you honestly think a text message will deter them from their cause? It may ruffle a few feathers but seeing as these guys are the taliban, I personally think it'll only enrage them and strengthen their cause. Though, to be fair it could do some serious damage to younger, less experienced members of the taliban regime but overall, I doubt it'll work.

Plus, it wasn't just the Taliban that defeated the Soviets, it was all of Afghanistan, including the Northern Alliance.
Thanks for correcting me :).

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Intelligence chiefs find out their enemies' mobile numbers and bombard them with messages to confuse them and destroy morale, according to The Sun.

Some messages are simply designed to discourage them, such as "We know who you are, give up" or "Go home, you'll never beat us".
Amusing. My take is they are sending out messages en masse to every mobile number with an active account, or perhaps they are spamming numbers belonging to a list of suspected individuals, but there is no way they are certain they have the number of an 'enemy combatant' because, if they were certain... well! There is nothing more accurate than GPS for locking down a target, lol. This is just a game of cat and mouse to try and force the hands of suspects, to see how they react. Psy-Op crap... because inquiring minds want to know... for sure.

Yawn. It's a guy game.

Ninth Scribe

Keltoi
12-13-2006, 04:11 PM

Even still, do you honestly think a text message will deter them from their cause? It may ruffle a few feathers but seeing as these guys are the taliban, I personally think it'll only enrage them and strengthen their cause. Though, to be fair it could do some serious damage to younger, less experienced members of the taliban regime but overall, I doubt it'll work.

Thanks for correcting me :).
Actually I don't think it is that effective, but you never know. These mind game people are pretty good at what they do. You wouldn't think being forced to listen to the Red Hot Chili Peppers all night would make somebody break down, but that seems to be what broke Khalid Sheik Mohammed. What may sound like trivial annoying games to us might actually have more impact than you think.

Keltoi
12-13-2006, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Amusing. My take is they are sending out messages en masse to every mobile number with an active account, or perhaps numbers belonging to suspected individuals, but there is no way they are certain they have the number of an 'enemy combatant' because, if they were certain... well! There is nothing more accurate than GPS for locking a target, lol. This is just a game of cat and mouse to try and force the hands of suspects, to see how they react. Psy-Op crap... because inquiring minds want to know.

Yawn. It's a guy game.

Ninth Scribe
What they are probably doing is tracing cell phone signals from certain parts of Afghansitan, probably isolated spots only Taliban fighters and others would frequent. While GPS is good for pinpointing locations, in many instances these are little villages or underground networks that are either too risky due to collateral damage or too mountainous to find an exact target.

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
What they are probably doing is tracing cell phone signals from certain parts of Afghansitan, probably isolated spots only Taliban fighters and others would frequent. While GPS is good for pinpointing locations, in many instances these are little villages or underground networks that are either too risky due to collateral damage or too mountainous to find an exact target.
Yea, gotta respect the math and beware of the skies :Evil:

Ninth Scribe

Keltoi
12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Yea, gotta respect the math and beware of the skies :Evil:

Ninth Scribe
Agreed. The one thing you don't want to see early in the morning before coffee is an Apache gunship with bad intentions.

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Agreed. The one thing you don't want to see early in the morning before coffee is an Apache gunship with bad intentions.
Yea, I'd rather go at night in my sleep. It would be kind of like waking up to a whole new world, lol.

Ninth Scribe

Agnostic
12-13-2006, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Wait, am confused, did the Taliban not allow girls to learn? I've heard that so much but I don't know if its true.
We got a little off topic there, Someone should start a new tread on that subject

Isaac
12-13-2006, 05:04 PM
I didnt know mobiles were gaining popularity in tora bora. Some of these people dont even know how to use a mobile let alone read a text. And if you know the area, the best form of communication used is human intelligece or another word a "snithch".

What ever next?:giggling:

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac
I didnt know mobiles were gaining popularity in tora bora. Some of these people dont even know how to use a mobile let alone read a text. And if you know the area, the best form of communication used is human intelligece or another word a "snithch".

What ever next?:giggling:
The deal is, some nerd made a small fortune unloading a shipment of satellite phones. They told the fools that satellite phones were more secure and harder to trace, so they bought them up, lock, stock and barrel. Keltoi is right in that it may be difficult to zero a signal for an exact target (though not impossible) in that type of area, but you can pick up the activity in the area and study it's movements.

Snitches work too... but I'm sure they're covering all their bases.

Ninth Scribe

Zulkiflim
12-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Heya

I think this is another of those articles to show to the brits and US that they are winning the war.

LOL..I remember that the US and UK? has set up a comitte to spread propoganda not to the enmy but to their onw people,,to sustain the war..

So that even if the turth is there ere more and more allied death,the papers show otehrwise,,,so people say,,I dont know what to beleive.

And i sicnerely hope the brits have heard of triangulation...you can search for a man holding a phone anywhere in the world,,it is far more exact..lll

A great but untrue story..LOLOL..good laugh tho.
this all proves the desperation of the allies in their illegal war..

May Allah bless HIS fighters

Muezzin
12-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Do many of the Taliban even speak English?

Also, if the M.O.D. knows their phone numbers, surely they could trace them with GPS technology?

Imagine it - Osama Bin Laden's mobile gives away his location: 'I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling networks'

AvarAllahNoor
12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Just leave Iraq and Afghanistan alone - It's more trouble than it's worth! Bring back our troops! PLEASE

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Also, if the M.O.D. knows their phone numbers, surely they could trace them with GPS technology?

Imagine it - Osama Bin Laden's mobile gives away his location...
That's exactly how they located Abu Musab Al Zarqawi! They tagged his advisor. They already have a pool of signals. Now, they just want to know who owns them. Coffee?

Ninth Scribe

Trumble
12-13-2006, 06:17 PM

Most of those doing the actual fighting (and dying) are doing it for the money, not the 'cause'. The few 'Taliban' who actually get their own hands dirty are unlikely to be bothered, I agree. As to the rest, who knows?

Ninth_Scribe
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Splendid! - Where do i get one from?
Oddly enough, they require you to register for access - in other words, ID yourself, lol. Commercial providers register their network services... on behalf of their users, who have registered for accounts with them by identifying themselves... and behold (waves magic wand), a network trail.

x = active number of communications signals from a specified region.

y = majority of signals are carried using this subscribed service provider.

z = obtain list of all user accounts registered with that service provider.

Ninth Scribe

Erundur
12-13-2006, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Do many of the Taliban even speak English?

Imagine it - Osama Bin Laden's mobile gives away his location: 'I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling networks'
Majority of Talibs speak Pashtun and majority if not all live between southern Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Muezzin
12-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Where I come from, I would call this a final warning before I start deleting posts that have nothing to do with the topic. :peace:

Woodrow
12-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm not always as patient as Bro. Muezzin. Now let us return to the topic.

Chechnya
12-14-2006, 10:21 PM
i thought the topic was the taliban?

why were so many posts deleted?

salaam

Muezzin
12-14-2006, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya

salaam
The topic was the news story in the first post. You are welcome to discuss the Taliban in general in a separate thread. :)

Be sure to search for existing topics first, mind you.

Chechnya
12-14-2006, 10:26 PM
ok sorry :)

Woodrow
12-14-2006, 10:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chechnya

salaam
According to the opening post, the topic is "Text messages" as a weapon.

The British Army is using a new weapon in its fight against the Taliban in Afghanistan - the text message.

Others are disguised as messages from comrades to spread duff information.

And attacks on Royal Marine commandos in lawless Helmand province have reportedly dropped since the initiative began last month.

The text attacks are carried out by the 15 (UK) Psychological Operations Group, based at the Intelligence Corps' HQ in Chicksands, Bedfordshire.

A military source in Afghanistan said: "If they know their fight is pointless, they are quite likely to give up."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.