/* */

PDA

View Full Version : First Hijab-clad Presenter on Danish TV

Pure
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
First Hijab-clad Presenter on Danish TV

By Nidal Abu Arif, IOL Correspondent

Pic 1

"I'm proud to be a Danish Muslim of Palestinian origin," said Asmaa.

COPENHAGEN, March 31, 2006 (IslamOnline.net) – The first hijab-clad talk show presenter has appeared on the Danish television to discuss Danish society's pressing issues topped by the cartoons that lampooned Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him).

"I'm seeking to project a good image about hijab-clad Muslim women in Denmark," Asmaa Abdol-Hamid told IslamOnline.net Friday, March 31.

Asmaa, 24, appeared for the first time on the small screen on Wednesday, March 29.

She has been selected to co-present a talk show with Danish reporter Adam Holm.

"It has been a bold move from the Danish television and a step in the right direction," she said.

Denmark has been the focus of Muslim anger following the publication of THE offensive cartoons by mass-circulation Jyallands Posten last September.

The 12 cartoons, including one showing the Prophet with a bomb-shaped turban, were later reprinted by European newspapers on claims of freedom of expression.

Pic 2

Asmaa co-presents the program with Danish journalist Adam Holm.

Proud Muslim

The young lady has grown up in Denmark since she was six years old.

"I'm proud to be a Danish Muslim of Palestinian origin," said Asmaa, who is doing an MA in sociology.

"My family has supported me and gave me full freedom of choice," she added.

Asmaa has been singled out of four other competitors for the TV program.

"I was the only hijab-clad woman among the candidates," she noted.

"It is now my responsibility to present the true image of Islam as an ambassadress of the Muslim faith."

Asmaa rejected that she was chosen for hijab or as a gesture of goodwill from the Danish government to the Muslim world.

"I have the necessary qualifications for the job as a fluent Danish speaker and a confident presenter and interviewer," she explained.

Love/Hate Mails

Asmaa believes that her hijab will be the talk of the audience at the very beginning.

"But I'm confident that with the passage of time they would come to realize my distinct personality and presentation."

She said that she had received love and hate e-mails from Danish viewers.

"Some e-mails were critical and offensive; but I was never provoked and dealt with them in accordance with our Islamic teachings, trying to explain my viewpoints to the senders."

She hopes that her program will appeal to the Muslim minority in the country, urging Danish Muslims to participate and integrate into society.

"This would help Muslims become part and parcel of Danish society," she said.

Muslims make up around three percent of Denmark’s 5.3 population, making Islam the second largest religion after the Lutheran Protestant Church.

Islam, however, is not recognized by the state unlike Christianity and Judaism.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
12-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Who says hijab-clad women are "hiding":hiding:

Pure
12-14-2006, 01:03 PM
exactly.. there is also a lot prejudice set against them for the choice of a cloth on their heads..

aamirsaab
12-14-2006, 01:11 PM
:sl:
I believe you may have to edit the pictures (you can keep the link if you want, but don't use the [img] tags) as they go against forum rules: no pics of living things.

Jazakallah kheir for posting the article, and kudos for providing the link too.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pure
12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
are you sure?? because the pictures are what speak a thousand words.. the people can see it anyway if they click on the link.. but its better if it's on the forum as well as that will be the first thing they'll see.

aamirsaab
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pure
are you sure?? because the pictures are what speak a thousand words.. the people can see it anyway if they click on the link.. but its better if it's on the forum as well as that will be the first thing they'll see.
I understand your points perfectly, heck I even agree with them. However, rules are rules.

Muezzin
12-14-2006, 09:55 PM
I usually allow images in World Affairs threads so long as they're not showing for example violent images or those which the rules regard as sexual in nature. The images in this thread are fine.

Anyway, this news story is good. Even more Muslims should join the media.

Pure
12-14-2006, 10:59 PM
thanks Muezzin!!
The world affairs is a good place.. an excellent way to understand our world.. is the world in pictures.

Lina
12-15-2006, 05:46 PM

This started last year right?

'Adam og Asmaa'

Umm Safiya
12-16-2006, 12:51 AM
:salamext:

Oh Lord :heated: Not this again..

Malaikah
12-16-2006, 10:48 AM

^Why? :eek: Care to share?

Pure
12-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Oh Lord Not this again..
why do you say that sister??

Umm Safiya
12-16-2006, 07:44 PM

Because the sisters is :thumbs_up for democraty.. She is some party.. I don't know how to explain it in english, because I normally don't use these words.. So I dunno what words I should use, ya know?

Malaikah
12-17-2006, 09:29 AM

Oh no, does she say stuff that is against Islam?:(

Umm Safiya
12-17-2006, 11:02 AM

I don't think so.. But she is supporting democracy.. :hiding: That's a no no..
I haven't watched her programmes, alhamdulillâh I don't have tv..

Malaikah
12-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Oh ok well hopefully some good will come form her, ameen. :)

Latey
12-18-2006, 09:29 PM
hmm ... now I am confused - is democracy in generaly a bad thing ? and if - why ?
in what way is dictatorship better ?

- Qatada -
12-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey Latey.

In islaam, we should govern under the law of God. The same God who gave the scripture to Prophets Jesus, and Moses and Muhammad (peace be upon them.)

If we govern according to the Qur'an and Authentic Sunnah [prophetic way] then we would be at peace with the christians and jews. Like you can read from here:

Islamic History
http://www.load-islam.com/indepth.php?topic_id=12

We don't prefer the law of man, rather we follow the law of God. There is no differentiation between the political state and religion, rather they're both unified so there is justice for all members of that society.

Peace.

Latey
12-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the explanation - I will read the suggested text.
But what about things in society that is not described religious ?
How would a society determine ex. how a govern-owned placed should be used ?
or
Who should be the head of state and govern the ways of man ?

there must be things in life that is not exactly described f.ex. in the holy book - or ?
I do not know the Quran that well

- Qatada -
12-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey. :)

We've kind of got a rich islamic history (not trying to be boastful) and it's all been recorded through verifiying and authenticating what has really occured or what hasn't.

It's a whole science, so the sayings of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) have been preserved, and the Qur'an has also been preserved by God's Mercy. Also other events such as the lives of the companions etc. have been recorded, and the people who narrate them - their personalities and lives are reviewed to see if the person is trustworthy or not. These chains of narrators and what they say are then documented for later generations and is part of our history.

Anything that happens in our lives as muslims, we can reflect on it in the life of the illiterate prophet, Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the lives of his companions (may God be pleased with them.) So choosing a leader can also be decided by the muslims, if we are to reflect on the history to see how the prophet (peace be upon him) selected a leader etc.

That may be through pledging allegiance to a leader who is most befitting of applying the laws of God, and God's messenger (peace be upon him.) Or it could be the idea of the previous leader selecting a person who would be suitable for the job. Or it could be the most knowledgable of scholars to come together and have an agreement on who is the most suitable for the position.

Something i'd like to point out to you though is that what you see in the islamic world today, no country is applying the islamic law properly and therefore we can't claim to have an islamic state in the world today.

This has been prophecised already by the Messenger of God (peace be upon him) who said:

"The Prophethood will last among you for as long as Allah (God) wills, then Allah would take it away. Then it will be (followed by) a Khilafah [caliphate] Rashida (rightly guided) according to the ways of the Prophethood. It will remain for as long as Allah wills, then Allah would take it away. Afterwards there will be a hereditary leadership which will remain for as long as Allah wills, then He will lift it if He wishes. Afterwards, there will be biting oppression, and it will last for as long as Allah wishes, then He will lift it if He wishes. Then there will be a Khilafah Rashida according to the ways of the Prophethood," then he kept silent.

[recorded in Musnad Imam Ahmad (v/273)]

We're under the underlined stage, and all the events before it have occured in our islamic history.

You may hear alot of rumours regarding the Prophet of God - Muhammad (peace be upon him) so i'd also like you to read abit about it just so you don't have any form of confusion in your mind/heart.

Muhammad - the Man and the Message.

http://muhammad.islamonline.net/English/index.shtml

Peace. :)

al_faaris574
12-18-2006, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Latey
Thanks for the explanation - I will read the suggested text.
But what about things in society that is not described religious ?
How would a society determine ex. how a govern-owned placed should be used ?
or
Who should be the head of state and govern the ways of man ?

there must be things in life that is not exactly described f.ex. in the holy book - or ?
I do not know the Quran that well
Hello,

The head of State in an Islamic State, is the Khalifa. You may find more about the process of choosing a Khalifa and prerequisites to becoming the Khalifa on THIS address.

As for things that have not been prescribed in the Quran, or the Hadith [sayings and traditions of the Prophet (saw)], for example, the issue of Criminal Punishments, not all crimes have a set punishment in the Holy Quran, or Hadith, so this is where Al-Ijma (Concensus of opinions) comes into play. A Hadith regarding Ijma:

"My people Would never agree, on whoever leads them astray"

The practice of Ijma, can be traced back to the days of the Companions of the Prophet, as can be seen from the following example. Almighty Allah does not state the punishment that should be applied to one who drinks alcohol. But the agreement was reached by the concensus of opinions of the Sahabah (companions) when Sayyidina Ali ibn Abu Talib said, "He who drinks, gets drunk, he who gets drunk, raves; he who raves, accuses people falsely, and he who accuses people falsely, should be given 80 strokes of cane according to the injunction of the Holy Quran:

"And those who accuse honourable women but bring not four witnesses, scourge them (with) eighty stripes and never (afterward) accept their testimony - They indeed are evil-doers -"

So in this way, they take the Rulings from the Quran and Hadith, using logic based approaches, and consultation amongst the learned

Allah Allmighty Knows Best

Latey
12-18-2006, 10:14 PM
I have not yet read all the suggested texts, but I will....

But you have all given me a new way of understanding the issue - Thanks

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.