/* */

PDA

View Full Version : She has embraced Islam but her husband is still a kaafir. What should she do?

- Qatada -
12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
:salamext:

She has embraced Islam but her husband is still a kaafir. What should she do?

Question:

What is the ruling about remaining in a marriage when the wife has become a Muslim but her husband is still a kaafir? She has children with him and is afraid that they may go astray and be lost, and she hopes that her husband may be guided to Islam if she stays with him.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

As soon as a woman embraces Islam and her husband refuses to do likewise, the marriage is annulled and it is not permissible for her to live with him. But she should wait out the length of the ‘iddah period. If he embraces Islam, she may go back to him and the previous marriage contract is still counted as valid, but if he does not embrace Islam before the ‘iddah is over, then they are no longer married. If he subsequently embraces Islam and they want to get back together, a new marriage contract must be drawn up. It is not permissible to continue the marriage on the basis of being kind to him.

Majma’ al-Fiqh al-Islami (Islamic Fiqh Council), p. 43.

The children should follow the Muslim parent, so try your best to get custody of them. May Allaah help us and help you by His kindness and mercy.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=iddah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-13-2006, 06:53 PM
:wasalamex

Try checking this link insha'Allaah:

Iddah denotes the waiting period that a woman is required to observe as a consequence of the nullification of her marriage with her husband or because of the husband's death.

Divorce: Islamic Procedure & Rulings
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543322

Kidman
12-13-2006, 08:29 PM
omG, come on now. Maybe by her still living with her husband it will press on him and he will inshallah become muslim. You are not separate from people just because they don't convert when you do... what are you spreading here?

I know a muslim woman that has a christian husband and they get along just fine and have been getting along perfectly for over 15 years and still love each other 100%

Kidman

Sunflower
12-13-2006, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kidman
omG, come on now. Maybe by her still living with her husband it will press on him and he will inshallah become muslim. You are not separate from people just because they don't convert when you do... what are you spreading here?

I know a muslim woman that has a christian husband and they get along just fine and have been getting along perfectly for over 15 years and still love each other 100%

Kidman
spreading the deen - and i think that is the correct way because sooner or later there will be conflict and i swear it is not permissible for a muslim woman to be married to a non muslim?? and anyway what religion would the kids be brought up as?? half muslim half not it dont work like that!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kidman
12-13-2006, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunflower
spreading the deen - and i think that is the correct way because sooner or later there will be conflict and i swear it is not permissible for a muslim woman to be married to a non muslim?? and anyway what religion would the kids be brought up as?? half muslim half not it dont work like that!
First off, children are not brought up one certain way. I know a lot of kids brought up in Muslim families that are a lot worse then those brought up in Christian families. Also, when the kid reaches the right age, where they can understand for themselves, if the parents are just parents they will let the child decide for him/her self. They actually do have children, and the girl is a practicing Muslim, and she 18 and wears the hijab and everything, and just turned 20 and is getting married to a very respectiful muslim herself. Nothing is wrong with their relationship and nothing is wrong with their children.

Maybe you guys shouldn't judge things what you don't know.

Kidman

glo
12-13-2006, 08:45 PM

Kidman
Greetings, Kidman

I agree with you. But I guess Islamic ruling is Islamic ruling ...

We had this topic in the mixed female section, where I posted what the Bible teaches. This passage is directed at those members of the new church in Corinth, who had converted to Christianity but were married to non-believers:
If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife? (1 Corinthians 7:12-16)
(I hope it's okay to post this passage here for comparison ... I am aware that this is the Marriage in Islam section. Mods, just zap this post, if you deem it inappropriate!)

Peace :)

Kidman
12-13-2006, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Greetings, Kidman

I agree with you. But I guess Islamic ruling is Islamic ruling ...

We had this topic in the mixed female section, where I posted what the Bible teaches. This passage is directed at those members of the new church in Corinth, who had converted to Christianity but were married to non-believers:

(I hope it's okay to post this passage here for comparison ... I am aware that this is the Marriage in Islam section. Mods, just zap this post, if you deem it inappropriate!)

Peace :)
Ya, that sounds wayyyy more reasonable. I don't know exactly where you are getting these islamic rulings from... but it might be different since i believe a different school of thought than most people here.

Kidman

Kidman

glo
12-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Ya, that sounds wayyyy more reasonable. I don't know exactly where you are getting these islamic rulings from... but it might be different since i believe a different school of thought than most people here.

Kidman
That's interesting.
I always assumed all Islamic ruling was beyond questioning.
And I did not realise that there are different schools of thought ... but then I have learned virtually everything I know about Islam here in LI.

Peace

- Qatada -
12-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi glo. :)

If a muslim woman was to marry a non muslim man and remain with him - she would put her own faith on the line, and also the faith of her children. Why is this? It's because a wife who loves her husband is usually prepared to obey him when he asks her to do something. If she doesn't obey him, he is likely to get angry with her right? which in return is likely to cause disunity or enmity within the marriage.

A woman has duties towards her Creator also, and these duties come before any of her duties towards the creation. This includes issues such as hijaab/covering herself up, the menstruation cycle [i.e. intimate relations are forbidden within that time of the month], fasting etc.

However, if her husband doesn't even accept these laws, and asks her to go out in a way which she will reveal herself to other men, or to have intimate relations at an unsuitable time, or for her to break her fasts when she should be fasting in the month of Ramadhan - then is that good for her faith? Isn't she in a dilemma on who to obey? What if she gives up her islaam due to the love of her husband? If she gives up her islaam, what chance do the children have?

It is out of Allaah Almighty's eternal wisdom to make some things permissible, and to make others forbidden. It is only out of His love for us, so we can die in a state of submission to Him, and in return be rewarded with His paradise which He has created for His believing slaves. Allaah is the Most Wise, the All Knowing.

Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Umar001
12-13-2006, 09:12 PM

Kidman
I will just ask you something, are Muslim women allowed to Marry non-Muslim males, even from the People of the Book?

Kidman

Kidman

Brother, are you also of the opinion that it's allowed to have a non-Muslim Khalifa?

Do you also hold the view that if a person divorces and someone marries that women then who ever marries her has commited adultery??

Also brother please tell me the school of thought you follow, I'm interested :)

your brother Eesa. :)

Kidman
12-13-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I will just ask you something, are Muslim women allowed to Marry non-Muslim males, even from the People of the Book?

Brother, are you also of the opinion that it's allowed to have a non-Muslim Khalifa?

Do you also hold the view that if a person divorces and someone marries that women then who ever marries her has commited adultery??

Also brother please tell me the school of thought you follow, I'm interested :)

your brother Eesa. :)
I believe a Muslim guy can marry a non-muslim woman, but a woman cannot marry a non-muslim guy. But if they are currently married, and the woman becomes a muslim, she doesn't have to divorce him... she has the option to if she believes her faith is on the line.

I follow the school of Imam Sadiq.

Kidman

Umar001
12-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I believe a Muslim guy can marry a non-muslim woman, but a woman cannot marry a non-muslim guy. But if they are currently married, and the woman becomes a muslim, she doesn't have to divorce him... she has the option to if she believes her faith is on the line.

I follow the school of Imam Sadiq.

Kidman
According to your school, what is the wisdom behind that??

Curious girl2
12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
As-Salamu Alaykum

This is very interesting to me as I am in this exact situation!

I reverted 3 weeks ago after a very long period of soul searching. To cut a very long story short, I was a Christian, my father was a minister and my husband is also a Christian, although like I was, a rather disillusioned one. I had to think long and hard about reverting as I knew that Islamically, my marriage is long longer valid. But in the end the pull to Islam was too great and I knew that I had to revert.

As for my marriage, well for the time being I am still with him. Ignoring the fact we have 2 children and in raising those children we are a partnership, when we got married, we made vows, before God. Yes it was in church, but I made my vows to my husband, to and before God. The same God that I pray to now, only now I refer to him as Allah. I take those vows very seriously, marriage to me means *til death to us part*. Practicing Christians take marriage just as seriously as Muslims do. To leave my husband and end my marriage would mean breaking those vows that I made to him and to God. I am sure you can see my predicament.

Inshallah he will revert too, he is very interested and has started to attend the masjid and read the Qu'ran. I am making du'a that he will revert. The best think that could happen would be for my husband to revert before my Iddat ends, inshallah that will happen. If not, then I just dont know, I will have to cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Peace
CG

Umar001
12-13-2006, 10:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Curious girl2
As-Salamu Alaykum

This is very interesting to me as I am in this exact situation!

I reverted 3 weeks ago after a very long period of soul searching. To cut a very long story short, I was a Christian, my father was a minister and my husband is also a Christian, although like I was, a rather disillusioned one. I had to think long and hard about reverting as I knew that Islamically, my marriage is long longer valid. But in the end the pull to Islam was too great and I knew that I had to revert.

As for my marriage, well for the time being I am still with him. Ignoring the fact we have 2 children and in raising those children we are a partnership, when we got married, we made vows, before God. Yes it was in church, but I made my vows to my husband, to and before God. The same God that I pray to now, only now I refer to him as Allah. I take those vows very seriously, marriage to me means *til death to us part*. Practicing Christians take marriage just as seriously as Muslims do. To leave my husband and end my marriage would mean breaking those vows that I made to him and to God. I am sure you can see my predicament.

Inshallah he will revert too, he is very interested and has started to attend the masjid and read the Qu'ran. I am making du'a that he will revert. The best think that could happen would be for my husband to revert before my Iddat ends, inshallah that will happen. If not, then I just dont know, I will have to cross that bridge if and when I come to it.

Peace
CG
Wa Aleykum Salam Wa Rhametulahi Wa Berekatu,

An oath of disobiedience should be broken, that's all am going to say.

If you want to stay with your husband thats your choice but Islamicly from what I have read it is not allowed and it is like fornication.

Your Brother Eesa.

Kidman
12-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Wooow, you people are seriously.... nevermind.

Curious, be true to Allah, read the Quran, make up your own mind on what you believe to be the best for:
1) Allah
2) Your family
3) Yourself

Kidman

*charisma*
12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

ekhi, it's not us, this is the way of the deen. You either follow it, or you don't.

Staying with a nonmuslim husband promotes more fitnah. Think about it.

If a woman has to obey her husband and her husband is nonMuslim, what would happen if he asked her to cook pork? came home drunk? if he gambles? wants to have haram intercourse?? What if he doesn't want her to wear hijaab because he doesn't think it looks attractive, or doesn't allow her to pray cuz he'd rather her do something else? What about the kids? Should they be raised Islamically or the way of their father?

These are just a few of the problems that could occur.

We are different from the kaffirs and our way of life through Islam is supposed to portray that, even if we do have some things in common.

If her husband isn't Muslim, how's that going to help her islamically with her faith? They might love each other, yea I get that, but just as Allah says:

...But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.
2:216

An ideal muslim should do whatever will better their iman and grant them more deeds inshallah.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-14-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm just curious to know, Is this the view of all four schools of thought?

Umar001
12-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Wooow, you people are seriously.... nevermind.

Assalamu Aleykum Wa Rhametulahi Wa Berekatu Brother,
I love you for the sake of Allah

You were saying seriously what?? Doesn't sound as if it was going to be a good thing, I hope you don't let shaytan wispher at you brother.

You only answer one or two things, what about the other things I asked? You see, why don't you provide reasoning and understanding for others, why hide behind 'you people are seriously....nevermind' and then move on to give other advice, if I am wrong then correct me.

I have asked you if you'd allow a non-Muslim Khalifa, no answer, yet we know that the Man of the house is the responsible for them, and their leader, so you would not mind having a non-Muslim leader?

If you read the sister's post she did say
format_quote Originally Posted by Curious girl2
I had to think long and hard about reverting as I knew that Islamically, my marriage is long longer valid.

So theres no qualms there for the sister, why encourage her to do something which you have shown no proof for.

You claim although a sister can't marry a non-muslim, if she is married to him and reverts then she should stay with him, on what basis do you say this, where is your proof.

I find it sadening that you would start with "Wooow, you people are seriously.... nevermind." It is upsetting, and hurtful to me personally.

Eesa.

MinAhlilHadeeth
12-14-2006, 10:44 AM

Please refrain from any sectarianism. Please fear Allah, and think about the effect our words have on others. JazakAllah khayr.

Malaikah
12-14-2006, 11:03 AM
:sl:

Kidman, please bring forth evidence for your claim.

Kidman
12-14-2006, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

ekhi, it's not us, this is the way of the deen. You either follow it, or you don't.

Staying with a nonmuslim husband promotes more fitnah. Think about it.

If a woman has to obey her husband and her husband is nonMuslim, what would happen if he asked her to cook pork? came home drunk? if he gambles? wants to have haram intercourse?? What if he doesn't want her to wear hijaab because he doesn't think it looks attractive, or doesn't allow her to pray cuz he'd rather her do something else? What about the kids? Should they be raised Islamically or the way of their father?

These are just a few of the problems that could occur.

We are different from the kaffirs and our way of life through Islam is supposed to portray that, even if we do have some things in common.

If her husband isn't Muslim, how's that going to help her islamically with her faith? They might love each other, yea I get that, but just as Allah says:

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
This is true in some circumstances... but a husband and wife, that are full of love and respect, will not do something of the sort. He will not ask her to do something that is against her belief and way of life, that is wrong of him. That's like saying "Don't let the christian come to the masjid to learn islam, cause he/she might walk in with shoes, or the woman wont wear the hijab" when in turn christians do come to learn and out of respect they take the necessary actions they need to take to be respectible.

As far as proof goes, I haven't had the time to study it fully, so I can't really tell her what to do or not to do, and i'm just being down to earth and looking at the situation here.

Kidman

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-14-2006, 06:21 PM
This is true in some circumstances... but a husband and wife, that are full of love and respect, will not do something of the sort. He will not ask her to do something that is against her belief and way of life, that is wrong of him. That's like saying "Don't let the christian come to the masjid to learn islam, cause he/she might walk in with shoes, or the woman wont wear the hijab" when in turn christians do come to learn and out of respect they take the necessary actions they need to take to be respectible.

As far as proof goes, I haven't had the time to study it fully, so I can't really tell her what to do or not to do, and i'm just being down to earth and looking at the situation here.

Kidman

brother from the posts of yurs that i have read you are giving your thoughts and opions and what YOU think is right rather then actually refrencing to what the Qu'ran and hadiths say on the situation. I am also intrested and have thought about this question before but I need to know what Islam says not what you think is or isn't right.

Kidman
12-14-2006, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
brother from the posts of yurs that i have read you are giving your thoughts and opions and what YOU think is right rather then actually refrencing to what the Qu'ran and hadiths say on the situation. I am also intrested and have thought about this question before but I need to know what Islam says not what you think is or isn't right.
True.. but these people are not using Quran or Hadith either. I saw that somebody asked the Sheikh, and the Sheikh answered without using hadith or the Quran... which means made his decision to the best of his judgements to what the rulings of Islam are... And if he cannot provide any "Strong" supporting hadith or Quranic rule on this, you cannot making something Haram that Allah (SVT) or the Prophet didn't make haram.

Kidman

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
True.. but these people are not using Quran or Hadith either. I saw that somebody asked the Sheikh, and the Sheikh answered without using hadith or the Quran... which means made his decision to the best of his judgements to what the rulings of Islam are... And if he cannot provide any "Strong" supporting hadith or Quranic rule on this, you cannot making something Haram that Allah (SVT) or the Prophet (saw) didn't make haram.

Kidman
Yes bro I agree but you cant make it halaal something that 'may be' haraam either and the sheikh you mention may be qualified due to his extensive knowlwdge in Quran and hadith to give a fatwa on this topic but we are not, imgine you say something which contradicts the fatwa and someone takes your word for it and later we find that there was evidance for what the shaykh said .

maybe there is evidance we'll just wait and see if anyone can come with anything

- Qatada -
12-14-2006, 07:34 PM

Question:

Can a non-muslim man marry a muslim woman?

Answer:

It is absolutely not permissible under any circumstances in Islamic law (shari'a) of Allah, the most esteemed and exhalted, for a non-Muslim to marry a Muslim woman, as per what He has said regarding the marriage of a kafir (unbeliever) to a Muslim woman and vice versa: (interpretation of the meaning).

They are not lawful (wives) for the unbelievers, nor are the unbelievers lawful (husbands) for them... (Al-Mumtahina:10)

And Allah the most esteemed and exhalted has also said (interpretation of the meaning):

Nor marry (your girls) to unbelievers until they believe...

(Al-Baqara:221)

i.e., it is not ever permissable for someone to marry his Muslim daughter or sister or any Muslim woman for whom he is a guardian to a kafir.

Islam must be exhalted and cannot be subjugated, so how could a Muslim woman be put under the care of a kafir man, when the man is normally naturally in a stronger position? In such a situation he could cause her to corrupt the practice of her religion or force her into subdual by causing her to live a life of oppression with him. He could also prevent her from practicing some of her religious rites. These are among the reasons for the aforementioned ban expressed in the previous ayaat. wallahu a'lam (and Allah is the most knowledgable).

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=115&ln=eng&txt=

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-14-2006, 07:49 PM
^ Jazzak'Allah...Evidance is quite clear that Allah swt has made it haram for a muslim female to be married to a non-muslim male.

Kidman
12-14-2006, 10:21 PM
I told you, i agree that it is not permissible for a muslim woman to marry a non-muslim man...

But in this situation, the woman already married the man, and a person of the book for that matter. So this is a different situation than somebody that is already muslim getting married. Already, her husband didn't keep her away from the teachings of Islam if she converted while they were together, so being with him is not harming her religion in that aspect.

This is an interesting subject... and i will research it more... but I already know people in this same situation who are doing very together and are still in love and she practices her religion and he practices his, and they respect each other to the full extent, and she is veryyyy educated, more than the common woman i've seen.

kidman

glo
12-14-2006, 10:27 PM
I am a woman who is married to a non-Christian, and I converted to Christianity after we were married.

I can certainly witness that being married to somebody who doesn't share the same faith is not without it's difficulties, and it requires both partners to be loving and understanding and tolerant and forgiving towards each other ...

But, as Kidman pointed out, these are qualities a good marriage should have anyway.
It is certainly not impossible, and in some ways it has made our relationship stronger and our commitment to each other greater! :)

Peace

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I told you, i agree that it is not permissible for a muslim woman to marry a non-muslim man...

But in this situation, the woman already married the man, and a person of the book for that matter. So this is a different situation than somebody that is already muslim getting married. Already, her husband didn't keep her away from the teachings of Islam if she converted while they were together, so being with him is not harming her religion in that aspect.

This is an interesting subject... and i will research it more... but I already know people in this same situation who are doing very together and are still in love and she practices her religion and he practices his, and they respect each other to the full extent, and she is veryyyy educated, more than the common woman i've seen.

kidman

but they wern't Islamically married were they?? its like saying can a muslim women and non muslim have a relationship in islam without marrying? :rollseyes . Even muslim male and female cant do that without marrying.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-14-2006, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I am a woman who is married to a non-Christian, and I converted to Christianity after we were married.

I can certainly witness that being married to somebody who doesn't share the same faith is not without it's difficulties, and it requires both partners to be loving and understanding and tolerant and forgiving towards each other ...

But, as Kidman pointed out, these are qualities a good marriage should have anyway.
It is certainly not impossible, and in some ways it has made our relationship stronger and our commitment to each other greater! :)

Peace

so which religion is your husband Glo?? if you dont mind me asking that it.

because you can be loving and understanding but when its a risk of condracting the religion to do something then religion comes first.

*charisma*
12-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Although, being married to him would be against her way of life. I see where you are coming from ekhi and I think the woman should present her religion to her husband to see if he would be interested in converting as well, she should explain to him that "love" is not a valid excuse to stay together but rather he'd have to be Muslim as well. Besides the evidence of not marrying a nonMuslim man, a Muslim woman cannot take him as her protector:

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another: they enjoin what is just, and forbid what is evil: they observe regular prayers, practise regular charity, and obey Allah and His Messenger. On them will Allah pour His mercy: for Allah is Exalted in power, Wise. -9:71

O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. 5:51

Amongst other reasons, they probably would lose some commonalities. It would be difficult to strengthen her iman and Islamic knowledge with a nonMuslim as a husband and no matter what, Allah comes first in one's life despite the "love/respect/lust" she may have for someone else.

The evidence that bro fi has provided above is the word of Allah and it should suffice over anything else inshallah, despite what we take for morals or opinions.

I suggest you take some time and research upon this some more ekhi, inshallah.

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Muslim Woman
12-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

Listen to the holy Quran---the Final Testament
Recitation by Shiekh Saad Al-Ghamdhi of Saudi Arabia
http://www.islamworld.net/fathiha.au

whole Quran recitation: http://quran.jalisi.com

&&&

[/B][QUOTE=Fi_Sabilillah;595737][INDENT]

She has embraced Islam but her husband is still a kaafir. What should she do?

Question:

-----a quick reply. I read elsewhere that during the time of the Last Prophet (p) , some women accepted Islam & their husbands were not Muslims but marriages were still valid.

A Muslim woman can't marry a non-Muslim but if a non-Muslim man or woman becomes Muslim , then there is no such strict time limit for the spouse .......i will try to find that answer.

Muslim Woman
12-15-2006, 12:02 AM
salaam/peace;

a quick google seach & i found this one.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545634

The overwhelming majority of Muslim scholars hold the view that if it happens that a non-Muslim woman embraces Islam while her husband remains non-Muslim, she is to leave him and separation should occur.

In this specific case, some Muslim jurists hold the view that she can keep on living with him without having intercourse so long as he does not persecute her and she hopes hat he may embrace Islam one day. Another opinion is that such a woman can remain at her non-Muslim husband’s house while holding all duties and responsibilities so long as she expects his conversion and the conversion of the children.

Those two opinions still go in contrary to the mainstream of Muslim scholars and it’s somehow confined to a specific case, namely when a woman embraces Islam when she is already married to a non-Muslim.

glo
12-15-2006, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
so which religion is your husband Glo?? if you dont mind me asking that it.

because you can be loving and understanding but when its a risk of condracting the religion to do something then religion comes first.
My husband is affiliated to no religion, he is an atheist.

You are right. There is more to it than being loving and understanding - I also have to be able to stand firm in my faith when required. I am probably more assertive and less pliable now than I used to be in my marriage.

It is a balancing act between being obedient to my husband and obedient to God.
If my husband asked me to do something, which is against my beliefs and God's teachings, then God's commands have to come first!
That's where our marriage needs my husband to be equally loving and understanding - to let me do things, which he may not necessarily agree with!

Without that mutual love and commitment our marriage probably wouldn't last ...

Peace

- Qatada -
12-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Kidman, no offense intended but you'll have to bring your evidence forward insha'Allaah :) :

#18. Do not say "Islam says X" unless your position is based upon sound evidence - which means the Qur'an and the Sunnah. Always cite your sources. If quoting the Qur'an, give soorah (chapter) and ayah (verse) number. For ahadeeth, you must the name of the collection, volume/book number and hadeeth number. Unless you quoting from an agreed-upon authenthic collection (i.e. Bukharee, Muslim) you must also provide authenthic information.

glo
12-15-2006, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
In this specific case, some Muslim jurists hold the view that she can keep on living with him without having intercourse so long as he does not persecute her and she hopes hat he may embrace Islam one day.
Am I reading this right, that the converted woman is to deny her husband sexual contact until he agrees to convert to Islam??? :?

Umar001
12-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I think its pretty clear, a sister is not allowed to marry a man unless he is Muslim, i.e. meaning that the sister's marriage is invalid, so everytime they do something its like fornication. That is a part we agree on.

But what we disagree on is whether a person who had a contract before Islam, when they enter Islam whether that contract, which is in itself against the rules of Islam, a sister being with a non-Muslim, would still be valid.

Common sense tells us alone that it would not be, if something is haram but someone does not know, then when they are told are they still allowed to hang onto doing it. If someone had a pub, then they reverted to Islam, would they still be allowed to keep the pub, I wonder, a clear example is that of the man which had 10 wives, when he became Muslim was he allowed to keep all of them? Nope, why not, because that would be breaking the rules of 'marry 2 3 or 4' no more than that, so the man had to conform to Islam, thus, since Islam does not allow a Muslim sister to marry a non Muslim, then also if someone comes into Islam they should conform to the teachings.

What ever an individual sister does that is her choice, but the above is clear of what should happen.

Kidman
12-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Ya, and I also heard of this situation to a woman during the time of the Prophet, and she had to get a divorce.

So, I guess i'm wrong, and i'm speaking out of my own personal view.

But look at it, do you think the husband and kids would be more keen to becoming muslims if the mother divorces the husband (who is a very good man to let his wife make decisions on her own and doesn't influence her mind or anything of the sort), so divorces the husband and walks out on the family basically, and says "Islam says I can't be with you, you are a kaffir to me now"

Kidman

ManchesterFolk
12-15-2006, 08:31 PM
As soon as a woman embraces Islam and her husband refuses to do likewise, the marriage is annulled and it is not permissible for her to live with him.
And why are men in the same position not forced to leave there true love?

- Qatada -
12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk

Nearly in every culture, the man is not forced by his wife to give up his faith or duties towards his religion. For instance a man doesn't need to wear niqaab, like the woman may. The non muslim husband may have asked his wife to remove it out of embarrasment/shame, whereas if she has a muslim husband - he will encourage her.

A muslim man doesn't have intercourse with his wife if she is in her menses, in another culture - the husband may force her to have intercourse, even though it isn't permitted for this to take place.

It is the muslims duty to give a portion of his/her wealth to the poor (zakaah) - if her husband is non muslim, he may not allow her and due to that, she isn't keeping her duty to Allaah Almighty. Whereas if she was married to a muslim man, he may even pay on her behalf, or atleast not stop her from keeping her duty to Allaah. And Allaah Almighty knows best.

Regards.

Malaikah
12-16-2006, 04:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
In addition to Fi_Sabilillah's reply, he can only stay with her is she is a jew or christian. Any other religion and the husband would have to divorce her.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.