/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Claim: Sitting Up Straight Is Best for Your Back

Lina
12-13-2006, 09:19 PM
:sl:

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
Published: December 12, 2006

THE FACTS Sit up straight, parents tell their children. It’s a well-known refrain, repeated through generations and based on the theory that anything other than a 90-degree posture places undue strain on the back.

Despite its persistence, that advice is wrong. Parents may insist that sitting up straight with your thighs parallel to the ground is the best way to sit, but a long list of studies has shown that that position increases stress on the lumbar disks in your lower back.

Thirty years ago, scientists first showed this by inserting needles into the backs of volunteers and measuring the amount of pressure created by various seating positions. They found that a reclining position was ideal, placing the least strain on the back and minimizing pressure that could lead to back problems. Since then, multiple studies have confirmed that finding.

But it was only in 2006 that scientists produced direct visual evidence. In a study that used new magnetic resonance imaging machines that allow people to sit instead of lie down, a team of researchers at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland looked at 22 volunteers who sat in three positions. The first two positions, sitting upright and sitting with the body hunched forward, produced the greatest spinal disk movement, causing the internal disk material to misalign. The third position, in which the subjects reclined at a 135-degree angle with their feet planted on the floor, created the least strain.

According to the study, any position in which a person leans back, opening the angle between the thighs and the back, is preferable to sitting up straight.

THE BOTTOM LINE Sitting upright at a 90-degree angle strains your back; leaning back places less pressure on the spine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/he...tml?ref=health

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
12-13-2006, 10:29 PM

Really!! :eek: Because I sit most of the times with my back straight, and when I say straight I mean straight straight straight. My mom was always telling me to sit up straight and now it's just in me. Hmmm.....so it's not good for you.....:-\

Snowflake
12-14-2006, 02:12 AM
heard that on the news the other day.. to be honest I couldn't care less what the so-called experts say.. I say the best position is the one we feel comfortable in. I'm a sloucher :p

syilla
12-14-2006, 02:15 AM
i don't sit up straight... :hiding:

i sit up straight only at the hotel...or during interview or....during the meeting...

otherwise.....:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
12-14-2006, 02:34 AM
doesn't it feel like hard work sitting up? stiff like ur in a straight-jacket lol

Lina
12-15-2006, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
doesn't it feel like hard work sitting up? stiff like ur in a straight-jacket lol

Oui, i'll try but it won't take long before I start slouching.

Comfortable!

Ah well.

habiibti
12-15-2006, 05:13 PM
Assalamu aleikum

this is da 2nd time our mums are proven wrong:1st one was da cracking of da knuckles and now this.Maybe it works well since most of kids do exactly da opposite of what their mums say anyways.All ma life i had been told to sit up straight but i am a born sloucher.

amirah_87
12-15-2006, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
It aint hard work!! Lol You get used to it after a while, you even start walkin' straight after a while too. ;)

I look at slouchers and it actually hurts my back seeing their back bent like that! :heated:

How do you guys do it?

and i dont believe that article :mmokay:

habiibti
12-15-2006, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
It aint hard work!! Lol You get used to it after a while, you even start walkin' straight after a while. ;)

I look at slouchers and it actually hurts my back seeing their back bent like that! :heated:

How do you guys do it?

As a sloucher,i could ask u da same question.i cant last long sitting straight up.that is why i used to sit at da back of da class where da teacher was most likely not to see me.

Snowflake
12-15-2006, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
It aint hard work!! Lol You get used to it after a while, you even start walkin' straight after a while too. ;)

How do you guys do it?

lol, how can you sit up straight? Maybe people who sit up straight, don't do hard physical work. I know if they did, they'd be slouching too! :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Lina

Oui, i'll try but it won't take long before I start slouching.

Comfortable!

Ah well.
don't! stick to how your body feels comfortable. Slouch away!!! :D

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-15-2006, 07:39 PM
i got told dis so many tymes.. i alwayz slouch.. :$

Snowflake
12-15-2006, 07:46 PM
so? why r u worrying sis? :giggling:

When I read posts, I lean one elbow on my desk and rest my chin in my palm... how's that for laziness! ;D

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-15-2006, 07:52 PM
LOL i do dt sumtymes :p

Snowflake
12-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Then I bet your fave position is lying down..and you wish you monitor was hanging off chains from the ceiling and ur TV was somewhere there too? hahahaha ;D

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-15-2006, 08:15 PM
YEAAAA omggg :p

Snowflake
12-15-2006, 08:19 PM
hahahaha :giggling: ;)

I bet u like putting ur legs up when sitting on the sofa? lolll

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-15-2006, 08:25 PM
man sis u readn ma minddd.. :-\ lazy 4life :D

Al_Imaan
12-15-2006, 09:17 PM
its more like "Slouching decreases the pressure on the spine while sitting up straight increases pressure".
That's more like it.
This is how it feels for me when i sit up straight or slouch.

Nawal89
12-16-2006, 01:26 PM
^^ for me its the total opposite.

my back HURTS when i slouch. My shoulders and neck too.
Plus slouching makes a person look so lazy. :p

Snowflake
12-16-2006, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^^
Plus slouching makes a person look so lazy. :p
they ARE lazy! :p

I CAN read your mind sis.. or should that be your body? :giggling:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.