/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I put my foot in it!!

glo
12-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Today I was chatting to Maryam, the Muslimah behind the counter in the halal shop I sometimes buy at.

She is the only Muslimah in my community I can really chat to, and we often talk about our faiths and about hijab etc.

Back in September she had been telling me about Ramadan, and how she celebrated it at home with her family.
Today she was asking me about Christmas.
As I left she said 'Have a nice Christmas', and I replied (without thinking) 'And you, too.'
As soon as the words were out, I realised what I had said (and that was before my husband elbowed me in the ribs! :rollseyes)

I very much hope Maryam knows it was a genuine mistake ... do you think I should mention it next time I see her? Or just let it pass?

Peace

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
12-15-2006, 04:12 PM
lol maybe she took it as "have a nice holiday"

Umar001
12-15-2006, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Today I was chatting to Maryam, the Muslimah behind the counter in the halal shop I sometimes buy at.

She is the only Muslimah in my community I can really chat to, and we often talk about our faiths and about hijab etc.

Back in September she had been telling me about Ramadan, and how she celebrated it at home with her family.
Today she was asking me about Christmas.
As I left she said 'Have a nice Christmas', and I replied (without thinking) 'And you, too.'
As soon as the words were out, I realised what I had said (and that was before my husband elbowed me in the ribs! :rollseyes)

I very much hope Maryam knows it was a genuine mistake ... do you think I should mention it next time I see her? Or just let it pass?

Peace
I like your husband ;D

Well I got a Christmas card from someone at work I dont even know, I mean it happens to me all the time, I just view it as people being nice.

The fact she said 'have a nice Christmas' kinda shows she tends to be relaxed about it? I'm guessing, I personally would not worry, she'd prolly have forgotten by the time you see her again. I'm sure she aint bothered by it, specially since you two talk.

Anyhow, it might be more akward trying to 'apologise' for it by bringing the topic up randomly.

It shouldnt be a problem, tell her the brother Eesa from LI says Salam ;D

glo
12-15-2006, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
lol maybe she took it as "have a nice holiday"
I kind of said it on my way through the door ... perhaps she didn't even hear me ...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I kind of said it on my way through the door ... perhaps she didn't even hear me ...
well thats even better, i gess its all good then :)

habiibti
12-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Assalamu aleikum
Glo, we are not that sensitive dear.:)
I dont think she will get offended.I am told merry christmas many times each day and i never go past that and it doesnt offend me da slightest.

glo
12-15-2006, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
I like your husband ;D
Yeah, I quite like him too - or I will again, when my ribs have stopped hurting ...! ;D

Well I got a Christmas card from someone at work I dont even know, I mean it happens to me all the time, I just view it as people being nice.

The fact she said 'have a nice Christmas' kinda shows she tends to be relaxed about it? I'm guessing, I personally would not worry, she'd prolly have forgotten by the time you see her again. I'm sure she aint bothered by it, specially since you two talk.
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
well thats even better, i gess its all good then :)
format_quote Originally Posted by habiibti
Assalamu aleikum
I dont think she will get offended.I am told merry christmas many times each day and i never go past that and it doesnt offend me da slightest.
Aww, thanks peeps.
I'm starting to feel not quite so bad about it ...
:)

Glo, we are not that sensitive dear.:)
lol I'll remember that, Habiibti! :)

Peace

Rabi'ya
12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
:sl:

i agree with habibti....

dont overly worry yourself aboutit glo :) She was being polite, as were you. she probably half expected it anyway :)

:w:

Rabi'ya:rose:

Al-Zaara
12-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Greetings glo,

Go and beg for forgiveness!

lol Of course not! :p

You are too sweet, caring for that little thing. :)

I don't think she got offended at all. I'm sure she knows you didn't mean it, but you know what, I think this will still bother you a bit when you meet her, so do tell her you felt bad afterwards. It will surely make you feel better and give her a good laugh. :D Not that I think it would be neccessary. lol :giggling:

Peace!

Woodrow
12-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Your intent was to wish her well. There was no intent to say anything she would take offense to. I can not speak for her, but I do not see were you did anything wrong or out of context to the season.

Just let it be. Your intent is much more important than the words.

Also, speaking personaly, I would be hurt if my Christian friends failed to wish me a "Merry Christmas", remember Isa(as) is also loved by Muslims and although we see his nature different then you do, we are still speaking of the same person. Words of friendship are easily understood as friendship, the friendship is the part that is understood.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm sure she understood. Its been said to me in a lot in high school. I wasnt bothered by it. I figured you guys say it a lot to people u know. Nothing to be alarmed about :) Like bro Woodrow said, its ur intention that counts :)

AtTiYa
12-15-2006, 05:27 PM
aww dnt worri bout it im sure others say 'merry christmas' aswel..u ent d only 1..!!!

glo
12-15-2006, 06:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Also, speaking personaly, I would be hurt if my Christian friends failed to wish me a "Merry Christmas", remember Isa(as) is also loved by Muslims and although we see his nature different then you do, we are still speaking of the same person. Words of friendship are easily understood as friendship, the friendship is the part that is understood.
Wow!
And I had assumed wishing a Muslim a Merry Christmas would be considered highly offensive! :uuh:

I am amazed ...

Peace :)

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-15-2006, 06:41 PM
nooo way i wudnt get offended.. dont wori glo, since we livin in a non-islamic country dis will tend 2 happen, dnt worry abt it ;) it wud b nice if sum1 sed happi xmas 2 me, il take it as in Happy holidayz :)

Starseeker
12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I doubt she would have got offended by it people say things like that to me all the time.
Last week someone asked me if i put my christmas tree up yet!

Snowflake
12-16-2006, 04:58 PM
lol Glo, hope ur ribs have forgiven ur husband :giggling:

it's nice to be wished merry christmas or wished anything even if we don't celebrate it.. It shows that our fellow human beings are wishing us something that brings joy to them. They only mean well. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.