/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Muslims only: When somebody wishes me a 'Merry Christmas'...

glo
12-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Now I am intrigued by the laid-back response I had in the 'I put my foot in it' thread.

So I would like to ask Muslim members here to choose from the above options.
(I hope the questions are worded reasonably clearly ...)

That's be my bit of research for the festive season. ;D

Thanks! :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
12-15-2006, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Now I am intrigued by the laid-back response I had in the 'I put my foot in it' thread.

So I would like to ask Muslim members here to choose from the above options.
(I hope the questions are worded reasonably clearly ...)

That's be my bit of research for the festive season. ;D

Thanks! :)
Assalamu 'alaykum,

A`udhu Billahi mina Shaytanir Rajeem,

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

*looks around for options...*

*looks again*

*keeps looking*

:?

FINALLY sees options!

voted other!

peace!

:w:

glo
12-15-2006, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
Assalamu 'alaykum,

*looks around for options...*

*looks again*

*keeps looking*

:?

peace!

Have you scrolled up the top of the page?
I can see them ... :?

YusufNoor
12-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Have you scrolled up the top of the page?
I can see them ... :?
:salamext:

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

:wasalamex

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aamirsaab
12-15-2006, 09:37 PM
:sl:
I'd appreciate the gesture and say "and you" or "hope you have a nice holiday". It's the thought that counts :D

Anyone got a problem with that?

glo
12-15-2006, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Anyone got a problem with that?
Probably not, as long as you are waving that hammer around! ;D

chacha_jalebi
12-15-2006, 09:40 PM
i would return it back :D bcosh dats nice :p

England
12-15-2006, 09:48 PM
For people that vote "other" could you explain a bit more.

YusufNoor
12-15-2006, 09:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
For people that vote "other" could you explain a bit more.

Assalamu 'alaykum,

*looks around to see if anyone else put other*

my job is to work with people. those people get to know me and things about me and visa versa. i usually tailor reponses to anything based upon how well the person knows me.

i'm actually considering "walaykum", for those that don't realize i'm Muslim.

for some people i just say..."OK?", for others "same" for those i know the best i might say "you too", and a RARE Merry Christmas back...

i haven't celebrated it in decades so it's always been a quandry...

stuff happens like:

"Merry Christmas", then they pause and say, "oh that's right, you're Jewish!":heated:

(cuz i'm not, nor was i :?)

repeat ad nasuem...
:rollseyes

Helena
12-15-2006, 10:03 PM
well uni.....

i have realised that non muslims have not sed 'merry christmas' to me.....instead they sed' enjoy ur holiday' or have nice 'new year'.....

well in return have sed enjoy ur christmas, hope u have nice time......and enjoy da holiday......

- Qatada -
12-15-2006, 10:10 PM
We're not permitted to say it, and we don't believe that Jesus was born on that specific date. Even britannica agrees with that:

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9082431/Christmas

So as any rational person can see, there is no sound basis for Christmas, nor did Jesus (peace be upon him) or his true followers celebrate Christmas or ask anyone to celebrate Christmas, nor was there any record of anyone calling themselves Christians celebrating Christmas until several hundred years after Jesus. So were the companions of Jesus more righteously guided in not celebrating Christmas or are the people of today?

We ask Allaah, the One, Singular God, with no partners or sons, the God of all creation and mankind, to guide us all to the path of guidance and sincerity.

Regards.

SASB
12-15-2006, 10:19 PM
I just say "Merry Christmas" back. I mean after all we are living in England (well in my case anyway) Christmas is the major holiday here that the majority of the citizens of the country celebrate, I really dont see the problem with them wishing me a "merry christmas". Yes fair enough we don't celebrate the holiday and we dont believe in the history behind it, however making a nice gesture and returning the greeting is not going to change our beliefs or all of a sudden make us doubt our faith (unless we really are that unstable) so whats the harm in it?

As far as im concerned if they can wish me a happy eid when they dont celebrate it then why cant i say merry christmas, and even if they dont wish me a happyy eid id still say it back if someone said it to me cause i believe it's the right thing to do.

- Qatada -
12-15-2006, 10:21 PM

Ruling on celebrating non-Muslim holidays and congratulating them
http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...-new-post.html

SASB
12-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Those quotes can be interpretated in so many different ways depending on who is reading them, when i read them all it said to me is if you follow any other religon than islam you will be punished there was nothing in there about accepting or not accpeting a greeting. There is nothing wrong with wishing someone merry christmas so long as you know your limits, for example I would say merry christmas but then if they invited me to christmas celebrations etc id say no, I do not give out any christmas cards etc. because that would imply im celebrating the holiday however saying merry christmas doesn't imply anything as long as you and the person ur greeting knows you dont celebrate the holiday or believe in the teachings behind it.

Muezzin
12-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't take offence if someone says 'Merry Christmas' to me. My non-Muslim friends know I don't celebrate it, but say 'Have a nice holiday' or something along those lines, and I reply in kind. If they give me Christmas cards, I say thank you to be polite

Nawal89
12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
I usually just nod my head and say yes, or smile, or something in that line. :D but i dont reply back.

north_malaysian
12-16-2006, 01:35 AM
voted first option, but I only say merry christmas to Christians only...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-16-2006, 01:42 AM
I chose other cuz when someone says Merry Christmas to me, I say u too or Happy Holidays. Obviously we dont celebrate Christmas, but i dont like to be rude, so i say Happy Holidays instead :) Sometimes there might be other holidays then too anyway, that i wouldnt know off lol.

Malaikah
12-16-2006, 01:43 AM
I've never really been around non-Muslims at christmas time so I dont know lol... but some one did say to me happy easter or something like that, I think I just replied have a nice holiday... (memory is fading...)

Sweetness
12-16-2006, 01:51 AM
I say merry Christmas.

Muhammad
12-16-2006, 01:40 PM
:sl: and Greetings,

From the link that Br. Fi Sabilillah has posted, it is quite clear that it is forbidden for Muslims to congratulate non-Muslims on their festivals:

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah.
We are required to take a strict stance on this issue, despite many people returning the greeting as a gesture of politeness. We can kindly explain why we cannot do this, but we cannot go against our own teachings for the sake of being friendly or out of shyness.

Note that this is not intended to disrespect or attack anyone, but only trying to adhere to Islamic principles. Based on this, I have voted for 'I acknowledge the greeting, but don't reply, and deep down I feel uneasy about the whole thing.' although I'm not sure what is meant by acknowledging the greeting. I guess being at peace and not replying might be ok also...

Peace :)

glo
12-16-2006, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad

Note that this is not intended to disrespect or attack anyone, but only trying to adhere to Islamic principles. Based on this, I have voted for 'I acknowledge the greeting, but don't reply, and deep down I feel uneasy about the whole thing.' although I'm not sure what is meant by acknowledging the greeting. I guess being at peace and not replying might be ok also...

Peace
I suppose by acknowledging the greeting I meant indicating that you have heard it, for example by smiling or nodding - as opposed to ignoring it or pretending you haven't heard it ...

habiibti
12-16-2006, 04:56 PM
I work at a shopping centre and at a time like this,all i hear is merry christimas flying left and right i acknowledge is but never said it back.i once even confronted by a guy coz i didnt say it back.i had to explain ma stand as a muslim,he was shocked to learn muslims didnt celebrate christmas.

i received tons of cards from collegues doesnt mean i will have to send one to them too.

glo
12-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Thank you for your replies.
So far nobody would be offended. That has surprised me! (Shows how little I know! :giggling: )

syilla
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM

i answer other.

i acknowledge the greeting...and i answer back enjoy your holiday.

north_malaysian
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Thank you for your replies.
So far nobody would be offended. That has surprised me! (Shows how little I know! :giggling: )

me too.. I'm so surprised!!!

glo
12-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Greetings, north_malaysian

The reason I am surprised is that I seem to remember discussions here in the run-up to Ramadan, when people were adamant that they would never wish anybody a Merry Christmas, according to the teachings Fi Sabilillah posted in this thread.

This does not seem reflected in this poll.
Perhaps when we meet people on a human and personal level, and when people greet us in their way, it is a polite and friendly response to either reply back in turn or to at least acknowledge the greeting.

I am sure saying Merry Christmas is not going to affect the faith of any believing Muslim, just as wishing somebody Eid Mubarak is not going to affect the faith of a believing Christian!
It is a friendly gesture between friends or even strangers, that's all :)

I am very encouraged by the result of the poll so far. :)

peace

Curious girl2
12-18-2006, 09:25 AM
As a new muslim I've been wondering what would be the best thing to say. I feel it would be rude to ignore people, but I also dont want to imply that I am celebrating with them. So instead I have been saying "I hope you enjoy the holiday" or " I hope its nice for you" because I do hope that they enjoy it and that its nice for them. Just because I am a muslim now, that doesnt mean I have suddenly started hoping that people have an awful time! How mean would that be!

Peace CG

Malaikah
12-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi Glo,

Firstly, I think there is a difference between someone initiating the greeting, and just replying to it (notice that a large number of people said they would not reply).

Also, I think the reason most people would not feel offended is that hardly anyone would say Merry Christmas from a religious perpsective, its has been reduced to most people as an almost non-christian event, so they wouldnt feel like they had been offered a religious greeting.

north_malaysian
12-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Greetings, north_malaysian

The reason I am surprised is that I seem to remember discussions here in the run-up to Ramadan, when people were adamant that they would never wish anybody a Merry Christmas, according to the teachings Fi Sabilillah posted in this thread.

This does not seem reflected in this poll.
Perhaps when we meet people on a human and personal level, and when people greet us in their way, it is a polite and friendly response to either reply back in turn or to at least acknowledge the greeting.

I am sure saying Merry Christmas is not going to affect the faith of any believing Muslim, just as wishing somebody Eid Mubarak is not going to affect the faith of a believing Christian!
It is a friendly gesture between friends or even strangers, that's all :)

I am very encouraged by the result of the poll so far. :)

peace
you should publish it in a journal or newspaper then.... :okay:

SirZubair
12-18-2006, 09:34 AM
"happy holidays" is what i've always stuck with, and will carry on with it.

glo
12-18-2006, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
you should publish it in a journal or newspaper then.... :okay:
LOL
I'm sure it's not that important a poll to stand up to public scrutiny!
But it's enough to give me a little warm glo(w)! :D

peace

Maarya
12-18-2006, 02:46 PM
salam
i just say hope u hav a nice xmas or hav a good holiday or something along those lines coz ppl who know its eid say to me hope u hav a nice eid so why shouldnt i say it to them?
wslm

united
12-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Where i live we have very friendly neighbours with poeple of all religions. we all congratulate each other on our respective festivals. a "happy divali/ christmas/ eid" doesnt make you change your religion. it actually promotes an understanding of each others faiths. and that no matter what the faith is called we can all have a chat and laugh.
i know muslims been blamed for being antisocial but its not hard to say something like "actually i dont celebrated christmas but hope you have a very merry christmas"

Rabiyal
12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
I chose
"They don't get the chance. I am saying 'Merry Christmas' before anybody else can!"
Cuz I wear Hijab, and so all the christians I know wish me Eid, and I always get surprised, and happy, that a non-muslims cares to wish me. and it also makes me feel good, that others acknowledge my religion.
And so when the Christmas time comes, I do the same and I know they feel the same.
Plus I love christmas time, the snow, the lights, and the way it gets quite, and calm. and Hey one more thing that's my fav is the commercials(especially the Coke one of polar bear).
so all you Christians out there
:rose::rose::rose: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!:rose::rose::rose:

SASB
12-18-2006, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabiyal
I chose
"They don't get the chance. I am saying 'Merry Christmas' before anybody else can!"
Cuz I wear Hijab, and so all the christians I know wish me Eid, and I always get surprised, and happy, that a non-muslims cares to wish me. and it also makes me feel good, that others acknowledge my religion.
And so when the Christmas time comes, I do the same and I know they feel the same.
Plus I love christmas time, the snow, the lights, and the way it gets quite, and calm. and Hey one more thing that's my fav is the commercials(especially the Coke one of polar bear).
so all you Christians out there
:rose::rose::rose: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!:rose::rose::rose:

Thats so true the Christmas atmosphere is great, and the comericals too :D
Thats why I would love to live in a muslim country around eid time the atmosphere and overall celebration would probably be so much better!

syilla
12-19-2006, 12:56 AM

if a knowlegeable ulama' said it is forbidden in islam...well i really have to try to understand the rullings and the reason behind it.

even though...i might not disagree on this ruling but i really have to understand why is itforbidden too...

i should not accept the things that only suits me or completely disagreeing without really learn what the ruling is all about.

just my 0.1 cents

salams

Skillganon
12-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Well I don't get a merry christmas that often.
I probably say have a goodtime, Have a nice day, have good holiday.
That is why can't participate in poll.

Sometime reflexively "merry christmass", have a "nice christmass".

snakelegs
12-19-2006, 07:44 AM
i didn't vote because i'm not muslim.
but i don't celebrate christmas. if someone wishes me merry christmas, i just say, "same to you".

Muezzin
12-19-2006, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Sometime reflexively "merry christmass", have a "nice christmass".
In the past, I've told a friend of mine, who is Catholic, to 'have a nice Christmas'. Certain rulings are saying that this is tantamount to joining in with non-Muslim celebrations. Is it? :uuh:

glo
12-19-2006, 09:52 PM
I know I have shared this story before, but not everybody will have heard it:

Last year, at Christmas, a Muslimah who lives in our street, and whose little boy goes to the same school as my son, came to my door and brought some chocolates wrapped in Christmas paper for our children.
I was so humbled by that friendly gesture, that we baked her some cookies in return.
(It was then I became friends with Rabi'ya over the internet, because I needed some advice on how to make sure the cookies were halal!)

It was this Muslimah and her generous and friendly gesture, which stretched across our cultures and religions, which made me want to find out more about Islam. Until then I had never given it any thought!

Just think, without her I would never have come here to LI!!! :uuh: :rollseyes :D

Muezzin
12-19-2006, 10:00 PM
So, from a certain point of view, LI is your... Christmas present? :p :)

glo
12-19-2006, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
So, from a certain point of view, LI is your... Christmas present? :p :)
LOL
Well, more of an Easter present, since it took me a while to pluck up the courage and join!

But has this 'present' enriched my life? I think so! :)

Peace

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-19-2006, 10:56 PM
^^ lol sweet story sis glo :) i guess u were meant to be here ;D

Muhammad
12-19-2006, 11:03 PM

If a non-Muslim greets us with 'Merry Christmas', it is understandable to try and be polite about it, but it does not mean we are obliged to return the greeting. Muslims have been given two special days by the mercy of Allaah and Allaah has perfected our religion and does not accept anything beyond this. So it is not befitting for us to congratulate - which is what saying 'Merry Christmas' is seen as amounting to - non-Muslims on their festivals because it can give the impression that we approve of such occasions and makes the receivers of the greeting feel proud of their religion. Christmas might be becoming secular, but we should not forget its foundations and underlying purpose.

It is wrong to simply 'go with the flow' only because we want to be polite and fit in with everyone else, and this goes for all values. Having a religion that Allaah has chosen for us means that we should not be shy to follow it and that we should stop where it tells us to stop, despite what we may personally feel or what everyone else is doing.

To actually initiate the greeting and say that we "enjoy Christimas time" is going too far... the concept of Allaah having a son is very strongly condemned in the Qur'an, where it is mentioned to be something -
Whereby the heavens are almost torn, and the earth is split asunder, and the mountains fall in ruins" [19:90]

Should we not as humans and as Muslims feel a need to distance ourselves from this and at the very least, a dislike for it in our hearts?

- Qatada -
12-19-2006, 11:11 PM

Totally agree with you bro Muhammad. :) And i'm sure Jesus (peace be upon him's) disciples never celebrated it either, and if they were the closest guided to the truth at his time, why should we innovate something which the most pious of people never did?

Ummu Sufyaan
12-19-2006, 11:14 PM
:sl: brothers an dsisters.
glo, what do you mean by: I acknowledge the greeting, but don't reply, and I feel at peace about it.

do you mean that you are at peace because you didn't reply, and are comfortable with not replying. sorry, i need things clarified.

Pk_#2
12-19-2006, 11:16 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warhamatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Urm....well when ppls say it...it's cool, but i feel weird saying Merry Christmas back now, somebody *hem hem* gave a big lecture on saying it...so i just smile....until they go away, and nobody gives me christmas cards no more :'( LOL

How come i can't 'rep' Fi_Sabz ever!!

Well i've given it to Maryam11 instead :D

Tc!

Zulkiflim
12-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Salaam,

Well i have many Filipino friends and they do wish me Merry Christmas or i will wish to them first.

There is nothing wrong on courtesy,we are not celebrating their religion but merely their holiday.

Also i remember that there is a fatwa that say we should reciprocate kindly.

If we want other to say to us Happy Hari Ray( Happy EID) then we should also speak the words..

So to any Chrisitan here,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..

Tania
12-20-2006, 05:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
So to any Chrisitan here,Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year..
Thank you :statisfie Have a good holiday :)

Glo you could put in practice and wish Merry Christmas in private. In the end you will make the poll how did they reacted :-[
Disclaimer:* I will denny i was the one who suggested to send the online Christmas cards*

Skillganon
12-20-2006, 05:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
In the past, I've told a friend of mine, who is Catholic, to 'have a nice Christmas'. Certain rulings are saying that this is tantamount to joining in with non-Muslim celebrations. Is it? :uuh:
Well you heard the verdict. I usually circumvent that by saying what I alway's say "have a safe journey" when departing.

Anyway "I rarely get that greeting".

At University some lecture prefer to say have a "Nice Holiday".

glo
12-20-2006, 07:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: brothers an dsisters.
glo, what do you mean by: I acknowledge the greeting, but don't reply, and I feel at peace about it.

do you mean that you are at peace because you didn't reply, and are comfortable with not replying. sorry, i need things clarified.
I know, Maryam, I didn't word it very well. And I was trying so hard to get the questions just right ...:rollseyes
I'm surprised you are the first to ask.

I meant feeling at peace (or, in the next question feeling uneasy) about being wished a Merry Christmas - but the way I worded the question it could also mean feeling at peace/uneasy about not replying Merry Christmas back ...

Sorry if it isn't very clear.

Malaikah
12-20-2006, 08:15 AM
It was this Muslimah and her generous and friendly gesture, which stretched across our cultures and religions, which made me want to find out more about Islam. Until then I had never given it any thought!
But she could have achieved the same effect by giving your kids a present on a totally random day, or on eid. ;) It doesnt have to be through christmas. The ends does not justify the means.

glo
12-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I disagree, Malaikah.

You are right in saying that a gift at any time of year would have been a nice surprise ... but it was the fact that she acklowledged 'my' religious festival, which I found so humbling and so surprising!
I kind of ended up thinking 'If she can make the effort to have a basic knowledge of my faith, then it is only right that I should find out about hers!'

Ummu Sufyaan
12-20-2006, 08:21 AM
I know, Maryam, I didn't word it very well. And I was trying so hard to get the questions just right ...:rollseyes
I'm surprised you are the first to ask.

I meant feeling at peace (or, in the next question feeling uneasy) about being wished a Merry Christmas - but the way I worded the question it could also mean feeling at peace/uneasy about not replying Merry Christmas back ...

Sorry if it isn't very clear.

hi.
thanks for that. i get the drift now.
well in that case, it depends. if the person knows that we don't celebrate christmas and wishes me one, than that would annoy me. but if they were ignorant, than they would be forgive, but i still wouldn't reply back. im not sure what i would say.

Malaikah
12-20-2006, 08:22 AM
You are right in saying that a gift at any time of year would have been a nice surprise ... but it was the fact that she acklowledged 'my' religious festival, which I found so humbling and so surprising!
I kind of ended up thinking 'If she can make the effort to have a basic knowledge of my faith, then it is only right that I should find out about hers!'

oh ok, fair enough. I shouldnt have assumed.

But the ends still doesnt justify the means.:)

Ummu Sufyaan
12-20-2006, 08:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
AsalamuAlaykum Warhamatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Urm....well when ppls say it...it's cool, but i feel weird saying Merry Christmas back now, somebody *hem hem* gave a big lecture on saying it...so i just smile....until they go away, and nobody gives me christmas cards no more :'( LOL

How come i can't 'rep' Fi_Sabz ever!!

Well i've given it to Maryam11 instead :D

Tc!
:sl: sis.
jazakallahu khair for the reps. okay, this is abit embarrassing, but what do the reps do?? can i get speacil prevligous (excuse the spelling)?

glo
12-20-2006, 08:55 AM
jazakallahu khair for the reps. okay, this is abit embarrassing, but what do the reps do?? can i get speacil prevligous (excuse the spelling)?
If you collect 10.000 reps, you get a free vacation at a location of your choosing.
No ... not really ... ! :giggling: :giggling:

You get no privileges for your reps, except an increased power to rep other people in turn.
It's just a way of telling people that you liked what they said in their post.

peace :)

syilla
12-20-2006, 09:07 AM
the most reps can get to be the president of LI

i wish...:D

New_Muslim
12-21-2006, 05:50 AM
I honestly hate to hear merry christmas. I'm much happier with happy holidays. I don't see the point to christmas. It seems very materialistic and polytheistic to me. HamdaAllah I'm Muslim.

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by New_Muslim
I honestly hate to hear merry christmas. I'm much happier with happy holidays. I don't see the point to christmas. It seems very materialistic and polytheistic to me. HamdaAllah I'm Muslim.

My shaykh once said...

Assalaam Alaikum,

What is up with some people that they are saying, and typing, "hamdulillah"..... and worse still, "hamdellah"???

The word is Alhamdulillah..... or you can type it as al-Hamdulillah.... or al-Hamdu Lillah....

BUT, please do not forget the "Al" in the beginning. It is very important and necessary, if you are trying to say "Praise is due for Allah". The "Al" is so important, that dropping it is extremely dangerous in your status with Allah!

Please take heed of this, and change it if you are one of those saying/typing it incorrectly.

Was Salaam
Afroz

New_Muslim
12-22-2006, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair

My shaykh once said...
thank you for this. Its good info.

SirZubair
12-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Don't thank me Akhi, make dua' for me. :)

Malaikah
12-22-2006, 02:40 AM

^Can you explain why for us non-Arabic speaking members?:?

czgibson
12-22-2006, 02:40 AM
Greetings,

Here's a quote from the article linked by Fi Sabililah:

It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on.
Is it just me, or is that not a bit of a strange thing to say?

Peace

Malaikah
12-22-2006, 02:44 AM
what Christmas is based on is more sinful in Islam* than "drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on". We wouldn't congratulate them for these things so why would we congratulate them for something worse?

*i.e. the son of God concept.

i212
12-22-2006, 02:44 AM
I will reply and at the same time ask forgiveness from Allah.

Reply just to make the people happy.. :)

SirZubair
12-22-2006, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

^Can you explain why for us non-Arabic speaking members?:?
I thought the quote i provided was self explanatory.

Obviously it wasn't.

Sis, the forum that he posted that on is MV, and MV is down at the moment.

Try to visit this link later on today/tonight :

http://forums.muslimvillage.net/inde...howtopic=19895

For the full story.

And, if you want to, visit his website :

http://www.alghazzali.org/ for great articles and even better, all the Programs they (The Alghazzali centre Crew) are offering to Muslims in Australia.

Hope that helps.

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

Grace Seeker
12-22-2006, 03:58 AM
As a non-Muslim, I did not vote, but I have enjoyed reading this thread.

I certainly never expected a Muslim to extend to me a Merry Christmas nor to necessarily return the greeting in that form. But I had not considered how to some it might come across as a form of "congratulations" for the Christian faith. I never consider it a congratulatory greeting among Christians, but rather a wish for a joyous and God-filled day. And I am still not sure about that reasoning being applied to it. But there is one other thing I see now that I never saw before, that as a Muslim who within one's own faith is horrified (my word, maybe not the best choice) at the thought of a person worshipping a human -- and that being what Muslims understand Christians to do -- then certainly to wish someone a Merry Christmas would be equal to wishing someone to go and have a merry time blaspheming God. If that is what I understood those words to mean, I couldn't use them either and would be very disheartened everytime I even heard them used by others.

Malaikah
12-22-2006, 04:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
then certainly to wish someone a Merry Christmas would be equal to wishing someone to go and have a merry time blaspheming God.
:thumbs_up That is exactly right, very well said.

cleo
12-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I don't wish the greeting back, I just nod my head, and say, "Have a Happy New Year."

north_malaysian
12-22-2006, 07:05 AM
To everyone here,

[BANANA]SELAMAT BERCUTI!!!
(HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!)[/BANANA]

Tania
12-22-2006, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cleo
I don't wish the greeting back, I just nod my head, and say, "Have a Happy New Year."
Only men can before 1th january to wish the happy new year :-[

Sabriina
12-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Well i voted other because for me it all depends who is saying it.Some people say that expecting u say the same to them while others just say it having full knowldge that i dont celebrate christmas.For example,at work most people have no excuse to be ignorant abt the fact that we muslims dont celebrate since a group of hard workers do an outstanding job of doing work place education about islam.so everyone is familiar with our believes and values.And we respect theirs too.
I never walked to a non muslim and wished them a happy eid,why would they wish me a merry christmas when i dont even celebrate it?makes no sense to me.

Grace Seeker
12-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Hey, I don't want to start a poll for this, but maybe you can still answer this question here.

For those of you who are Muslim and do not celebrate Christmas, would you be upset if asked to work on Christmas so that a co-worker who was Christian could have the time off with family?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-22-2006, 10:12 PM
No, cuz im sure id want my day off, when my holiday came up :D

Malaikah
12-23-2006, 03:13 AM
For those of you who are Muslim and do not celebrate Christmas, would you be upset if asked to work on Christmas so that a co-worker who was Christian could have the time off with family?

Isn't Christmas a public holiday though? :? No one has to work...

I got wished a Merry Christmas yesterday. It was 11:30 PM, just me and my dad in the car, waiting at a red light. All of a sudden we hear someone shout: "Hey brother". I look out the window and see a car with five young men looking at us, then the guy in the passenger seat goes, "How are you, Brother!". I am just looking at him like :eek::rollseyes, and hes like "Merry Christmas!" *Holds up bottle of beer* "Merry Christmas". Now it hits me, hes drunk! :offended: Then my dad just said "You too", more to shut him up than anything else...

Ah yes, Christmas cheer is in the air. :rollseyes

syilla
12-23-2006, 05:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
Only men can before 1th january to wish the happy new year :-[
only men? :? Please explain...

sorry...i'm a very confused lady :D

Tania
12-23-2006, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
only men? :? Please explain...

sorry...i'm a very confused lady :D
Its more a superstition-the women will not have a pink year if they say it. The men needs to open every new year - right they have now an important role -and the first person which enter in your house must be a man because, like i said they are the only one able to bring the new year without dangers.After the man "opened" the new year, the women can say it also, because there is not danger to ruin your year which just begin.I think over here the men likes to be the first in everything:giggling:

glo
12-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Yes, it is a public holiday, but there are many health and public services which don't just shut shop for the holidays. And thousand and thousands of people will be working on Christmas day to provide necessary sevices for the rest of us.

So Grace Seekers question is quite valid:
I would add the question if you would even volunteer to work on Christmas for the above reasons?

Curious girl2
12-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Personally I wouldnt mind, thats if I had a job. Stay at home mum now but I used to work in a school so at Christmas the school would have been closed anyway. Before that I worked in an office so I suppose if I was still there then I would volunteer. I wouldnt mind, I would just hope that someone else, a non muslim, would return the favour at Eid for me.

Peace CG

Grace Seeker
12-23-2006, 09:02 PM

But every business can do what it wants. In addition to what Glo listed (the necessary services of police, fire departments, hospitals, nursing homes, and utility companies) there will be many others that are open: gas stations, fast food restaurants, especially along the interstate highways, hotels, movie theaters, ski resorts, office cleaning services (they worked when the office is closed), TV and radio crews, even a few grocery stores. And while the post office is closed to the public, it still has people working sorting mail non-stop. Plus, to accomodate travel to be with family, some might need the day before or after off.

I'm glad to hear the first couple of responses to my question, because it has been an issue in the past in some communities. A local hospital once asked all of its Jewish workers if they would work on Christmas, in exchange for which they were to be given an extra paid day off during Chanukah, but they sued the hospital for discrimination based on religion, and of course won. So now few business I am aware of will even ask about employees religion and if you're scheduled to work a holiday, that's your problem not theirs.

Kittygyal
12-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Greetings Glo
i would like to say "buy me a present which is kittens" :D
Ma'assalama

Grace Seeker
12-23-2006, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Greetings Glo
Ma'assalama
Salaam Kittygyal,
If you want kittens I can arrange for you to get them any day of the year, not just at Christmas.:D

Kittygyal
12-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Salaam Kittygyal,
If you want kittens I can arrange for you to get them any day of the year, not just at Christmas.:D
Greetings,
lol, me have got 5cats && 1 kitten dear lol
take care

glo
12-24-2006, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Greetings Glo
Ma'assalama
Just remember, a kitten is for life, and not just for Christmas! :)

Peace

Malaikah
12-24-2006, 10:23 AM
A local hospital once asked all of its Jewish workers if they would work on Christmas, in exchange for which they were to be given an extra paid day off during Chanukah, but they sued the hospital for discrimination based on religion, and of course won.
Wow, they sued?! Insane, it sounds like a great deal to me! Extra day of on eid! :happy:

Yeh, I guess I wouldn't mind, even if I don't get an extra day off some other day... maybe... depends I guess...

Kittygyal
12-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Just remember, a kitten is for life, and not just for Christmas! :)

Peace
Greetings,
yes, i know there for life && for thy res :)
take care

glo
12-24-2006, 09:32 PM
This poll will close in almost exactly 24 hours.

Thank you all for participating. :)
I have been interested in your replies, and I am quite amazed at the outcome.

Whatever your feelings about Christmas, I wish you peace and joy! May God bless you all! :statisfie

habiibti
12-24-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey, I don't want to start a poll for this, but maybe you can still answer this question here.

i am working this monday and tuesday in place of ma manager,no one forced me i personally agreed and volunteer for it.since i expect them to do da same for me too when i need it.

Grace Seeker
12-25-2006, 07:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by habiibti
i am working this monday and tuesday in place of ma manager,no one forced me i personally agreed and volunteer for it.since i expect them to do da same for me too when i need it.
Wonderful. And I pray those you work for so that they may have Christmas off will return the favor for you for the Eid.

north_malaysian
12-26-2006, 03:00 AM

Well, it's public holiday... why should I work....:)

But, if I have to work on Christmas becoz to give my Christian friends a break on christmas... I dont mind ... but they should send me some cookies...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.