/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hajj travelers warned against discrimination

sonz
12-17-2006, 06:30 AM
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a U.S.-based Islamic rights group, warned thousands of American Muslims who are planning for the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, known among Muslims as Hajj, against discrimination and other challenges awaiting them as they leave the States for Saudi Arabia, including profiling, asking them to be prepared for trouble at a time when "flying while Muslim" can be a liability.

"Given the increase in the number of complaints CAIR has received alleging airport profiling of American Muslims, we believe it is important that all those taking part in this year's Hajj be aware of their legal and civil rights," said CAIR Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper.

The group established a toll-free hotline for American Muslims heading to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, for the holly pilgrimage, and published a pocket guide for pilgrims entitled Your Rights and Responsibilities as an American Muslim.

"As an airline passenger, you are entitled to courteous, respectful, and non-stigmatizing treatment by airline and security personnel," the group said in its pocket guide to American Muslims' rights and responsibilities.

"You have the right to complain about treatment that you believe is discriminatory."

American Muslims who had cause to think that they had been "treated in a discriminatory manner" should "ask for the names and ID numbers of all persons involved in the incident. Be sure to write this information down," CAIR said in its statement.

"If you believe you have been treated in a discriminatory manner, immediately:

1. Ask for the names and ID numbers of all persons involved in the incident. Be sure to write this information down.

2. Ask to speak to a supervisor.

3. Ask if you have been singled out because of your name, looks, dress, race, ethnicity, faith, or national origin.

4. Ask witnesses to give you their names and contact information.

5. Write down a statement of facts immediately after the incident. Be sure to include the flight number, the flight date, and the name of the airline.

6. Contact CAIR to file a report."

Pilgrimage or Hajj, the fifth pillar of the Islamic religion, is compulsory to Muslims of good health and with sufficient funds to make the journey to the holy lands in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

--AJP and Agencies.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Chechen
12-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I remember a few years ago you could just buy a ticket and go on the plane and go wherever you want and now you have to go through all this trouble especially if you're a muslim.. It's so annoying...

IzakHalevas
12-17-2006, 03:00 PM
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a U.S.-based Islamic rights group, warned thousands of American Muslims who are planning for the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, known among Muslims as Hajj, against discrimination and other challenges awaiting them as they leave the States for Saudi Arabia, including profiling, asking them to be prepared for trouble at a time when "flying while Muslim" can be a liability.
In reality, I have many friends who have been on the Hajj, and they are more likley to find rascist attitudes when in Saudi Arabia on the Hajj. I know sounds nuts right? I mean on the Hajj and you act like a pig. But it is true, my friends saw much rascism, mostly directed towards blacks and whites (blue eyed ect) who they kept asking questions while spreading rumors that they really were not Muslims.

It was quite fascinating for me to hear this, because I did not expect rascism in a place where you are suppose to dedicate yourself to G-d. I mean did G-d not create all the races?

Chechen
12-17-2006, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas
In reality, I have many friends who have been on the Hajj, and they are more likley to find rascist attitudes when in Saudi Arabia on the Hajj. I know sounds nuts right? I mean on the Hajj and you act like a pig. But it is true, my friends saw much rascism, mostly directed towards blacks and whites (blue eyed ect) who they kept asking questions while spreading rumors that they really were not Muslims.

It was quite fascinating for me to hear this, because I did not expect rascism in a place where you are suppose to dedicate yourself to G-d. I mean did G-d not create all the races?
Wow I'm shocked to hear that it's actually the first time I hear that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FBI
12-17-2006, 04:44 PM
:sl:

I've been to Umra recently All I can say is things aint what you'd expect it seems culture is dominate over religion.

north_malaysian
12-18-2006, 03:54 AM
Alhamdulillah, I've heard that Malaysian pilgrims are well-treated by the Saudi officials.

IzakHalevas
12-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Hopefully, actions that people do to one another will not remain based on race.

shariq_0189
12-18-2006, 04:18 PM
thats truee..culture is so dominant over religon...this is in every so called "Islamic state/country". If there was one country in the world which was under 100 percent shariah law according to sunnah, there wouldnt be so many misconceptions about Islam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.