/* */

PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Eid

Showkat
12-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Salaams All

Eid is coming soon inshAllah and we see asian shopping areas busy with Muslim shoppers buying the latest saree, shalwar khameez and sherwani suits.

What happend to the clothes bought only a month and a half a go for eid? They have been discarded and are old. Hence everyone is buying the latest clothes to dress to impress friends and family. Who said those clothes are old? Fashion did, who and what is fashion and who dictates the latest trends? The manufacturers of clothes do because most clothes will last you years, which is no good for the people who make them. This is why they manage to convince shallow and foolish people to always follow the latest trends in order to be " IN "

Many of us Muslims have been blessed financially by Allah swt and we can afford to buy for both eids, but the point is why do we feel the need to? Why cant we wear what we wore only less than 2 months ago? Why don't we think of those who are less well off than us and instead give the money to them as charity or even give them our old clothes from only 2 months ago?

Just because we live in the west does not mean that we have to engage in consumarism and follow the latest fashions and trends albeit the Muslim/asian version. A saying i heard once which aptly describes what i am talking about is " I spend money to buy things i dont need in order to impress people who dont care about me".

Yes, alhamdulilah Islam allows us to buy nice clothes and look nice, but we also have a duty and responsibilty to those less well of then us and also to thank Allah swt for the rizk which we have been blesed with as a trust from Allah. Ultimately everything belongs to Allah and we are not the owners of anything at all.

Also I see some families who are struggling financially get themsleves into debt just so that they can dress and look nice for one day. Its quite funny actually because when we die and are put into our coffins we wont be wearing much more than a sheet and when Allah swt raises us on the last day we will all be naked and the men will be uncircumcised.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maarya
12-18-2006, 06:16 PM
salam
thats a really good point. to most people eid is all about buying clothes and the food, i doubt that all the kids etc know the story behind Eid-ul-Adha.
personally, i'm not getting any new clothes for eid coz in march i went to pakinstan and brought a few pairs of clothes and neva wore em so am just gonna wear them for eid and when someone asks me and i tell em that they're like "wht??? its eid u hav to buy new clothes, thats the whole point of eid" especially the girls at school, bt i'm thinking no, thats not what eid is about.

Miss_sara
12-28-2006, 11:24 PM
I used to be like that only cared about my clothes and jewellery. Never thought about why we celebrate it but now im glad to say that clothes is not a big issue for me. Il wear anything its not a big deal as there are millions of Muslim people suffering the world and i think about them.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-28-2006, 11:46 PM
masha'Allah good timing of thos post..I think we should remember that our fortunes can be reversed and we can be the ones relying those who are better of to support us and we can be the the ones begging for our next meal.

may Allah help those in poverty and may Allah open our hearts into giving charity to those who are less fortunate.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Good point made bro. We often forget the actual meaning of Eid in all the materialistic rush. JazakAllah for sharing your view, much appreciated.

:sl:

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-28-2006, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Good point made bro. We often forget the actual meaning of Eid in all the materialistic rush. JazakAllah for sharing your view, much appreciated.

:sl:
yeah I think sometimes we try to turn it into xmas

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-29-2006, 12:02 AM
^^very true! I used to do that, but Alhumdulillah, i dont. And its so much better. Less to worry about.

Helena
12-29-2006, 12:06 AM
but we are suppose to wear new/best clothes on eid day.....

but mostly we compare and compete with others to buy the most expensive outfit...astagfirulla...which cud be given to charity inshAllah...bery beneficial...

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-29-2006, 12:16 AM
We should dress nice, yea. But some people buy clothes, wear it one day, then dont bother wearing it again..thats the point :)

snakelegs
12-29-2006, 04:14 AM
good post, showkat.

glo
12-29-2006, 08:08 AM
Good thread, Showkat.

It is interesting that we had similar threads with similar issues in the run-up to Christmas ...

Consumerism and materialistic thinking can become very damaging in our walk with God.
There is a real risk that people lose focus on the true meaning of a festival, and that the giving of gifts, the sharing of possessions and the beautifying yourself for the occasion become more important than God himself! :-[

May God keep us on the true path!

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.