/* */

PDA

View Full Version : English?

Fishman
12-20-2006, 08:16 PM
How do you define 'English'? I do not mean 'British', since that simply refers to anybody who lives in Britain.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-20-2006, 08:17 PM
whoever was born here is english..

starfortress
12-20-2006, 08:34 PM
:sl:

A white persons who speak in English as their mother tongue,:?

- Qatada -
12-20-2006, 08:35 PM
:salamext:

Anyone who speaks the english language.. thats wa i think. Allaahu a'lam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
12-20-2006, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by starfortress

A white persons who speak in English as their mother tongue,:?
They might be American though.

I think what you said would come under the last option in the poll.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-20-2006, 08:46 PM
personally i wouldnt call myself english, but i woz born here.. i woz born in a bengali family.. soo.. i dunno

Fishman
12-20-2006, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

Anyone who speaks the english language.. thats wa i think. Allaahu a'lam.
But Americans speak English too?

starfortress
12-20-2006, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
They might be American though.

I think what you said would come under the last option in the poll.
Yes you right bro:p

Fishman
12-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I think anybody who lives in England or was born in England then moved to another country has the right to be called English.

Skillganon
12-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I can't remember but their was this programme about what it mean's to be English. They were going and interviewing people. When asked about the purity of the ancestry the would say 100% english.

They did a DNA test and found in most cases 30-70% belonging to other european countries. Their was even a case of Middle eastern ancestry.

That realy changed their perception of what it mean's to be english. Their was a lady who treathened to file a case because of the result. LOL

- Qatada -
12-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Yeah ^ bro Fishman, therefore i would call americans english too. Anyone who knows the language properly, would be english because they know the language. thats from my personal opinion, and i dont have anythin to back that up.

BlissfullyJaded
12-20-2006, 08:55 PM

I don't think American's would call themselves English simply based on the fact that they speak English.

Anyways, I would think that somebody who is born and raised in England is English. This is making me think now. lol.

netprince
12-20-2006, 09:02 PM
People from an Anglo-Saxon (although that is also very confusing historically as there were so many invasions throughout history) heritage would be classed as english i think. Being born here doesnt really make you 'english' either, as you can still be Irish, Scottish, Welsh etc. Speaking english definitely wouldnt make you english, otherwise, most of the world would be english seeing as though it seems to have become the international language of choice for the vast majority of the world.

BlissfullyJaded
12-20-2006, 09:05 PM

Well, yeah, being born and raised in England doesn't make you English . It just makes you English by nationality, but not by ethnicity. Still, you're English in a way.

Okay, maybe that makes nooo sense!

Fishman
12-20-2006, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

Well, yeah, being born and raised in England doesn't make you English . It just makes you English by nationality, but not by ethnicity. Still, you're English in a way.

Okay, maybe that makes nooo sense!
There is no such thing as an English ethnicity, most 'white' English people are a mixture of French, Nordic and German ethnicities. Blue eyes and brown hair or green eyes and brown hair are the most common traits, although they are not the only ones. The proper term for somebody who is 'ethnically English' is Anglo-Saxon. But many Americans, South Africans and Australasians are also Anglo-Saxon.

amirah_87
12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I voted for The last one!! :)

Fishman
12-20-2006, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
I voted for The last one!! :)
But would you say that a black person whose family has been living in England for hundreds of years is not English?

amirah_87
12-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Wa Alaykum As Salaam

No, not really they're African or Carribean or whatever.

Or if you can find Black anglo-saxons then yeah. lol

You gotta have it in your blood right? to be an ethnicity. :confused:

Wallahu A'lam

Al-Zaara
12-20-2006, 09:24 PM

I voted for the third.

MTAFFI
12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Anyone who lives in America and wants to be called American is, therefore i believe anyone who lives in England can be English if they want... or at least that is my opinion:D

Fishman
12-20-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
Or if you can find Black anglo-saxons then yeah. lol

You gotta have it in your blood right? to be an ethnicity. :confused:
Anglo-Saxon is an ethnicity, just like 'African-Caribbean'. It is impossible to be both black and Anglo-Saxon at the same time, it would be contradictory. You could be mixed-heritage though. But there are black families who have been in England for hundreds of years, imported with the slave trade. Would you consider them to be English?

Al-Zaara
12-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Yes.

If they have a long family tree from England, then yes, they are English. No matter if black or white. I think of rather how long their families have lived in England, how many generations and so on, then the "original ethnicity" comes second hand.

amirah_87
12-20-2006, 09:37 PM
As salaamu Alaykum,

Anglo-Saxon is an ethnicity, just like 'African-Caribbean'. It is impossible to be both black and Anglo-Saxon at the same time, it would be contradictory.
Yep I know, I was kiddin' :)

But there are black families who have been in England for hundreds of years, imported with the slave trade. Would you consider them to be English?
This is pretty tricky, I don't know.

But what i do know is that with the Muhaditheen/Ulamaah who were before us, when they'd make hijrah or go to a country for da'wah and they'd lstay for a long time, they'd relate/refer themselves to that country so if they were Iraaqi and resiing in Yemen They'd have in there titles :Al-Iraaqiy Al-Yemeniy or Al-Iqraaiy thummal Yemeniy (so & so the Iraaqi and then the Yemeniy)..

So maybe yeah you could! :-\

Fishman
12-20-2006, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
Anyone who lives in America and wants to be called American is, therefore i believe anyone who lives in England can be English if they want... or at least that is my opinion:D
That's pretty similar to what I believe...

Muezzin
12-20-2006, 10:27 PM
English, despite what certain tabloids may claim, is not an ethnicity, it is a nationality.

Woodrow
12-20-2006, 10:32 PM
As an American we Define English as a Language derived from Anglo-Saxon and also as a person who is born in Breat Britain or has Ancestry going back to Great Britain.

In America most of us refer to ourslves as an English speaking people, but very few Americans are of British ancestry. Most of us are not English, and a very large proportion are non-white. at the moment fully 25% of the American population is non-white and at the growth rates the Americas will be roughly half white and half non-white.

The 20th century has witnessed the transformation of the United States from a predominately white population rooted in Western culture to a society with a rich array of racial and ethnic minorities. As the century began, the U.S. population was 87 percent white. The nonwhite minority was composed primarily of black Americans living in the rural South. At the century's end, non-Hispanic whites account for less than 75 percent of the U.S. population. The minority population is comprised of nearly as many Hispanics as blacks, surging numbers of Asians, and a small but growing American Indian population. By the middle of the 21st century, non-Hispanic whites will make up a slim and fading majority of Americans. Hispanics will be nearly one-fourth of the U.S. population. Blacks, Asians, and American Indians together will make up close to one-fourth of the population. "Minority" is likely to have a very different meaning in the 21st century.

America's ethnic landscape also includes a rapidly growing Arab population, a sizeable Jewish population, and other ethnic groups. But in the 1990s, the term "minority" usually refers to four major racial and ethnic groups: African Americans, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Asians and Pacific Islanders, and Hispanics.
Source: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...09/ai_n8872409

Soon in America the Term English will most likely just refer to a language and not any race or nationilty. Spanish will soon be the majority language in several States.

England
12-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Anyone that is born in England is obviously English. Some people would rather be classed as English rather than British for the reason of their National identity not being associated with the Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish.

As for Americans speaking English, they've messed about with the English language so much that you can't really call it English.

snakelegs
12-20-2006, 11:16 PM
someone born in england.
the other category i would refer to as "english speaking".

Skillganon
12-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Born and speak english. I qualify. Can I get a certificate?

LRonLovesYou
01-20-2008, 01:08 AM
If you ask me it's really up to the individual to decide whether they feel English or not. I know a lot of non-saxons think of themselves as British rather than English and that's cool. If you want to be patriotic and declaire yourself English then that's even better :shade:

truemuslim
01-20-2008, 05:15 AM
A language...nah im kiddin

Mysterious Uk
01-20-2008, 10:22 PM
i voted somebody born in england. I was born in england and i think of myself as kinda english.

sabah
01-20-2008, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Uk
i voted somebody born in england. I was born in england and i think of myself as kinda english.
why aye man me north easten sister lol, good to see someone from the north east. :shade:

Mysterious Uk
01-20-2008, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sabah
why aye man me north easten sister lol, good to see someone from the north east. :shade:
:lol:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.