/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Physical Descriptions of the Companions From 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala'

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-20-2006, 10:33 PM
:sl:

These are some physical descriptions of some of the major Companions, taken from the first four volumes of 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala':

1 - Abu Bakr:

"He was white-skinned, skinny, with thin cheeks. He had a wrinkly face, deepset eyes, a protruding forehead, and he would dye his beard with henna and oil it."

"He was white or yellow-skinned, handsome, with thin legs. His izar would not stay firmly tied around his waist."

2 - 'Umar bin al-Khattab:

"He was white-skinned, leaning towards redness. He was tall, balding, and had white hair around his head."

"He was very tall, and extemely bald. He had reddened skin, thin cheeks, and the edges of his mustache were long and dark red."

"He would walk so fast that it was as if he was riding a horse while those around him were walking."

"He used to dye his hair with henna."

3 - 'Uthman bin 'Affan:

"He was not tall or short. He had a handsome face, a long beard, dark skin, wide shoulders, and he would dye his hair with saffron. He would cap teeth with gold."

'Abdullah bin Hazm said: "I saw 'Uthman, and I never saw a man or woman more beautiful than him."

as-Sa'ib said: "I saw him dying his beard yellow, and I never saw an old man more handsome than him."

4 - 'Ali bin Abi Talib:

"He was balding, but had much hair left, as if he was wearing a sheepskin. He was of medium height, with a large belly and a large beard."

"He had a yellow beard."

"He dyed his beard with henna once, then he never used it again."

"His hair and beard were white, like cotton."

ash-Sha'bi said: "I saw 'Ali with a white beard, and I never saw anyone with a larger beard then he."

"He had heavyset, large eyes, and he was closer to being short."

5 - Abu 'Ubaydah bin al-Jarrah:

"He was a skinny man, with a wrinkly face and a light beard. He was tall."

6 - Mu'adh bin Jabal:

"He was tall, with large eyes, white-skinned, with wrinkled skin."

7 - 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud:

"He was thin, short, and did not dye his hair."

"He was handsome and wise."

8 - 'A'ishah:

"She was white-skinned and beautiful."

9 - Abu Hurayrah:

"He was fair-skinned, had wide shoulders, wide teeth, and he had braids in his hair."

"He was white-skinned, thin, and had a red beard."

10 - Mu'awiyah:

"He was tall, white-skinned, and handsome. When he laughed, his upper lip would move, and he would dye his hair."

"He would dye his hair with saffron, and his beard was golden."

11 - 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

"He would dye his beard yellow."

"He would dye his beard yellow until his clothing became wet with the dye. It was said to him: "You dye with yellow?" He replied: "I saw the Messenger of Allah doing so!""

12 - al-Husayn:

"His hair and beard were extremely black."

13 - 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:

"He was white-skinned, leaning towards yellow, tall, handsome, bright-faced, and he would dye his hair with henna."

'Ata' said: "I never see the full Moon of the 14th night of the month except that I remember the face of Ibn 'Abbas."

14 - Anas bin Malik:

"He would wear a black turban that he would leave trailing behind him."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mawaddah
12-20-2006, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Al Ansari

13 - 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:

"He was white-skinned, leaning towards yellow, tall, handsome, bright-faced, and he would dye his hair with henna."

'Ata' said: "I never see the full Moon of the 14th night of the month except that I remember the face of Ibn 'Abbas."

."
I recall reading about him in Al-Bidayah wan-Nihaayah for Ibn Katheer that he was a very large man and that He took up the space of 2 men.

I'll be checking up on it agian insha'allah!

Jazakallah Khair

:w:

amirah_87
12-20-2006, 10:48 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

^Was there a sanad, did you check for its Sihhah?

Excellent post Akhee! BarakAllaahu feek.

1 - Abu Bakr:

"He was white-skinned, skinny, with thin cheeks. He had a wrinkly face, deepset eyes, a protruding forehead, and he would dye his beard with henna and oil it."

"He was white or yellow-skinned, handsome, with thin legs. His izar would not stay firmly tied around his waist."
SubhanAllah!

Umar001
12-20-2006, 10:53 PM
Man, I always thought Abu Bakr was big, as in, chubby, omg, and Abu Hurayrah had braids? Wow, and Ali had a belly, I didnt think of that, I always imagine Ali as a kid, and I cant believe Umar was balding.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mawaddah
12-21-2006, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Man, I always thought Abu Bakr was big, as in, chubby, omg, and Abu Hurayrah had braids? Wow, and Ali had a belly, I didnt think of that, I always imagine Ali as a kid, and I cant believe Umar was balding.

For some reason I always thought of them in the same way! Even after I knew their descriptions my mind would bring up some other version of them lol.

Like Ali radiyallahu anhu, I would always think of him as this little teenager :giggling:

Subhanallah.

Khayal
01-16-2007, 04:17 AM

MashaAllah gud post, but what does " azar " mean?

1 - Abu Bakr:

JazaakAllah khayr.

Ummu Amatullah
01-16-2007, 05:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *ShEeBa*

MashaAllah gud post, but what does " azar " mean?

JazaakAllah khayr.

:salamext: my dear brothers and sisters in Islam,

Sister Izaar means any type of lower garment worn by the male.Whether the lower garment is a loincloth, shulwar, pant, thobe, or anything with a hem that could hang past the ankles.

And jazaka'allahu Khayran Jaza so much brother for the article it was really good and benefitial,not to mention funny and amazing in a sense.I always imagined Ali (R) more as a Saladin figure (physically).I always imagined him to be all muscles,young,youthful,and handsome but wooow he got a belly? :ooh::ooh: :ooh: :ooh: Interesting !!!!!!!!!!! Never did I imagine that lol,and over all jazaka'allah so much I really enjoyed it and I hope you continue posting beneficial fun to read articles like this insha'allah.

:wasalamex

shanu
02-22-2007, 04:13 AM
Alhamdullilah

thank u so much, even if i cant see dem, now atleast i can imagine how these great ppl looked like! :) God bless u!

Maimunah
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
mashaAllah

Umm Safiya
10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
:salamext:

Subhân Allâh, very interesting.. Jazâk Allâhu khayran..

Sawdah
02-07-2010, 05:20 PM
SubhanAllah! Jazakallah Khair for sharing. :)

cat eyes
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
wow they were all white skinned. :) i always imagined there skin was asian dark. that has amazed me

jazakAllah for sharing :p

Abdul-Raouf
02-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Bilal (R A) - he isnt mentioned here.

- i like him the most :) of the companions ...I know he was dark skinned..any more info about him ?

Danah
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Great thread, JazakAllah khair for sharing

Where I can find the book of 'Siyar A'lam an-Nubala' in English?

Ansariyah
11-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Masha'Allah that was very Interesting, May Allah unite us with them in Jannah ameen.

tigerkhan
11-24-2010, 04:19 AM
great post bro.
blv all u mention above are most beloved in my list. they all are so much nice. i love all of them.
yes i read that Usman Bin Affan Ra was very handsome and smart among them. i had read a book about them in which their is detail of HIS life b4 islam. that was v.interesting. i remember He live with HIS uncle and her cousin like Him much. i forgot but i think there is some accident and he go for a journey for a year and when He came back, Abubakar RA was his friend and these two are also richest person of mukka, Abubakar RA introduced them to islam. and Prophet PBUH make His nikkah with their daughter...SubhaALLAH. i remember this story was very interesting.

Hayaa
11-24-2010, 05:12 AM

Excellent thread. I enjoy reading descriptions of the companions.. I feel like it enables me to connect with them more. Loved it.

tigerkhan
11-24-2010, 06:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
recall reading about him in Al-Bidayah wan-Nihaayah for Ibn Katheer that he was a very large man and that He took up the space of 2 men.

I'll be checking up on it agian insha'allah!

Jazakallah Khair
i think he was Hazrat ABBAS ra..
Abdullah Ibn Abbas RA was His son.

The-Deist
01-31-2015, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
any more info about him ?
From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilal_Ibn_Rabah Muhammad Abdul-Rauf in his book, Bilal ibn Rabah, states,"He [Bilal] was of a handsome and impressive stature, dark brown complexion with sparkling eyes, a fine nose and bright skin. He was also gifted with a deep, melodious, resonant voice. He wore a beard which was thin on both cheeks. He was endowed with great wisdom and a sense of dignity and self esteem"[7]Similarly, William Muir in his book, The Life of Muhammad, states,
"He (Bilal) was tall, dark, and with African feature and bushy hair."[8]Muir also states that noble members of the Quraysh would despise Bilal and call him ibn Sauda (son of the black woman).
And if I remember he also had hazel like eyes... I know I necroposted but it would be interesting to see if there would be anything new :D

The-Deist
02-01-2015, 08:52 PM
There's Khalid ibn Walid too

• Is the standard of this army a black one? Is the commander of this army a tall, powerfully built, broad shouldered man with a large beard and a few pock marks on his face? Then beware of fighting this army.
    • Byzantine priest. (633 A.D)
    • And it is also said he looks like his cousin Umar (radhiAllahu anhuma)

The-Deist
02-01-2015, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Abi Ahmed
'Umar bin al-Khattab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T6TMH16zgo
And if you care here is something from his story http://www.academia.edu/4930941/Umar...ab_ra_Series_1

M.I.A.
02-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Sorry about this, on one of the descriptions it mentions a moustache.. Being long at the ends.

I have been told to trim the moustache short and I was wandering if there is a discrepancy.

No offence intended its only for the persuit of my own sanity.

Its a lovely thread. May Allah swt be pleased with them all.

The-Deist
02-02-2015, 10:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
Sorry about this, on one of the descriptions it mentions a moustache.. Being long at the ends.
It might have been before he embraced Islam or if The Prohet Muhammad sallalahu alaihi wa sallam made an exception with him.
Allahu alam
http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/sotb.html that link is about beards and something else I believe

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.