/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Next year on Rosh Hashanah I might go on Uman, should I???

IzakHalevas
12-21-2006, 01:24 AM
It is a trip to Uman, Ukraine where a very righteous Rebbe once lived. I'm not sure if to go or not. I hope they will accept me and not think of me as a terrorist since I am a convert and am Kurdish / Arab descent. Should I go?

Here is what the trip is like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khd3fP5Fp5I

There was a documentry made on it and this is the preview..

I am really unsure, so I wanted to know if you all think I should go? Rosh Hashanah is one of the holiest days of the year. We throw are sins of the year away while trying to repent on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and the week in between. Should I do it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I will answer strictly as a Muslim. I am a revert to Islam. I definetly do not look like I have any mid-eastern bloodlines. I am in very poor health. I speak very poor Arabic, with a horrible Accent and still use some old Moroccan slang in my colloqual speech.

So in many ways I am facing the similar type of fears you have about making a trip to Makkah for Hajj.

However, The minute it becomes physicaly possible I will go, no matter what the obstacles or my inner fears may be.

I had been in Saudi Arabia in my Younger days as a non-Muslim, that may help me realise that any fears are over exaggerated.

IzakHalevas
12-21-2006, 01:42 AM
The trip to Uman is not even close to as important to Jews as Hajj is to Muslims, and there are many Arab Jews but most tend to go to other places for Rosh Hashanah. I thought it looked like fun but the majority who go are not Arab and are not converts (who in my case are still learning since its only been a few years, even though it seems i know a bit :p).

I guess we should overcome our fears and go possibly. Maybe I am overthinking it.

Anyway, Thank you Woodrow, and I would also like more opinions. :)

Peace.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Why not? If u really want to go, I dont see why you cant :)
Let them think what they want, your choice :) If i were u and and they thought of me as a terrorist, i can think of just as many things of them LOL! :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
lavikor201
12-21-2006, 02:35 AM
Should I go?
Go for it, although as a half black, half arabish combo jew whose family traces there history to always living in Israel, I wouldn't personally go because i am not interested, but if it may have meaning to you especially as a convert in an area where there is not a huge jewish community go. I mean over 30,000 go each year, that is the number of Jews in the whole country of Turkey!!!! :)

By the way, really cool video!!!

If i were u and and they thought of me as a terrorist, i can think of just as many things of them LOL
Tere was a threat there a frew years ago and people said a suicide bomber was going to attack, it never hapned of course but people are naturaully nervous. lol.

snakelegs
12-21-2006, 05:03 AM
i'm curious, which rebbe are you talking about? a hasidic rebbe? are there hasidim among turkish jews?
it's a long time til rosh hashanah, so a lot will depend on what happens between now and then, but i think you'd be safe - how would anyone know that you weren't a jew by birth? i mean, there are jews that look like arabs and i assume you'll be wearing a kipah, which look different than the cap worn by some muslims. you could always let your payot grow for the occaision as double insurance!
(i can't watch videos.)

IzakHalevas
12-21-2006, 11:37 AM
i'm curious, which rebbe are you talking about? a hasidic rebbe? are there hasidim among turkish jews?
Yes, and no there are not many hasidim in Turkey, but I have heard it is fun and meaninful and all Turkish Jews recongnize him as a tzadik or righteous man.

it's a long time til rosh hashanah, so a lot will depend on what happens between now and then
Housing arrangements and tickets are usually made very soon, imagine a town of 80,000 and 30,000 Jews all coming towards you who need housing, food, plane ride. ect

mean, there are jews that look like arabs and i assume you'll be wearing a kipah, which look different than the cap worn by some muslims.
Most Turkish Jews wear a hat similar to the Kufi because it was the original skull cap the jews used, and many say Mohammod saw the Jews and began to use the same hat. We also continue to wear it so it is not bletentl obvious we are Jews. Remember there was a shul bombing here once.

you could always let your payot grow for the occaision as double insurance!
I don't have payot. :)

arabiyyah
12-21-2006, 08:53 PM
i guess since ure jewish u would like it. u should go and beat up anyone that cals u a terrorist. lol :D :okay:

Fishman
12-21-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IzakHalevas
Most Turkish Jews wear a hat similar to the Kufi because it was the original skull cap the jews used, and many say Mohammod saw the Jews and began to use the same hat.
:sl:
Since the kufi was originally an undercap for the tuban, I doubt it was specific to Jews, and was simply a Middle-Eastern item of clothing not specific to any religion.
:w:

IzakHalevas
12-21-2006, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
Since the kufi was originally an undercap for the tuban, I doubt it was specific to Jews, and was simply a Middle-Eastern item of clothing not specific to any religion.
:w:
Some Muslims wear a kippah equivalent called a kufi. In the United States, the kufi is often associated with Muslims of African descent. A possible origin of this practice is a particular sunnah which states that the followers of Mohammed were never seen without a head covering. A kufi covers most of the head and is usually white or black.The modern Kufis worn by Muslims were influenced by the kippot worn by the Jews of Arabia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippah

Wikipedia however, is not an amazing source on everything so I could be wrong.

netprince
12-21-2006, 10:14 PM
A person should always be a seeker of truth and knowledge. If thats what you hope to find there then go. Fear of being an outsider shouldnt stop you going.

snakelegs
12-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, and no there are not many hasidim in Turkey, but I have heard it is fun and meaninful and all Turkish Jews recongnize him as a tzadik or righteous man.

which rebbe is it? COLOR]

Housing arrangements and tickets are usually made very soon, imagine a town of 80,000 and 30,000 Jews all coming towards you who need housing, food, plane ride. ect [/QUOTE]

true

Most Turkish Jews wear a hat similar to the Kufi because it was the original skull cap the jews used, and many say Mohammod saw the Jews and began to use the same hat. We also continue to wear it so it is not bletentl obvious we are Jews. Remember there was a shul bombing here once.

I don't have payot.
well, if you're concerned, just wear a yarmulka like the ukrainian jews wear.
also, you could grow payot just for the occaision - that should remove any doubts for sure.
that should do it!

IzakHalevas
12-22-2006, 12:44 AM
which rebbe is it?
Nachman.

A person should always be a seeker of truth and knowledge. If thats what you hope to find there then go. Fear of being an outsider shouldnt stop you going.
Thank you. Meaningful words.

rav
12-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Some Arab Jews do go on it:

Pic 1

rav
12-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Pic 2

Pic 3

These people look Arab dont they?

Either way, people wont care as long as they know your jewish. People just get shaken up when these threats come in.

snakelegs
12-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Nachman.
he and the baal shem tov are probably the most important hasidic figures, aside from the lubavitcher rebbe.
i have decided you should go and not worry so much. so be it! ;D ;D

ManchesterFolk
12-22-2006, 02:04 PM
It looked like a cool movie, you should do it.

rav
12-26-2006, 03:47 AM
so are you going?

north_malaysian
12-26-2006, 03:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rav

Pic 3

These people look Arab dont they?
He looks like any observant Muslim man in my country ... the skullcap and beard...

rav
12-26-2006, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
He looks like any observant Muslim man in my country ... the skullcap and beard...
most likely different clothes though, lol. muslims tend to dress in more robes, right?

north_malaysian
12-26-2006, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by rav
most likely different clothes though, lol. muslims tend to dress in more robes, right?
only in mosques.... we cant wear robes to workplaces... but skullcaps and beards are allowed..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-26-2006, 04:32 AM
not all Muslims where robes though. clothes vary from country to country.

rav
12-26-2006, 03:38 PM
interesting, in muslim countries they do not allow the robes in the work place either?

lavikor201
12-26-2006, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
You think he looks Muslim? How about these Jews:

Mizrakhi Jewish immigrant to Israel [IMAGE]

Cheif Rabbi of Israel

Ethiopian Jew in Israel

- Qatada -
12-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I've replaced all images with links, because that goes against forum rules. Please post links instead now. :)

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.