/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Poll : Yusuf Islam(Cat Stevens) and his return to making music!

mysticalsilence
12-21-2006, 01:29 AM
So whats your opinion on it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuSe
12-21-2006, 01:41 AM
We should not make an own opinion about it. Music is haram in islam if it uses instruments and that's it. Not one muslim can say that music with instruments is not haram, or he/she is going against his/her religion. Neither should we say that we can eat and drink all we want during ramadan...

So not really that great a question, my friend.

The scholars of the Standing Committee for Academic Research and Issuing Fatwas said:

Thirdly: With regard to his comment that “There is no text in the Holy Qur’aan which forbids singing and music,” this reflects his ignorance of the Qur’aan. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the path of Allaah, or the Verses of the Qur’aan) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell‑fire)”

[Luqmaan 31:6]

The majority of mufassireen say that what is meant by Lahwa al-hadeeth (“idle talks”) in this verse is singing. Another group says that it is every sound of entertainment, which includes flutes, stringed instruments and so on. All of these mislead men from the path of Allaah and cause misguidance. It is proven that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), the great Sahaabi who was one of the scholars of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) said, commenting on this verse: “By Allaah, this refers to singing.” And he said: “It causes hypocrisy to grow in the heart as water causes herbs to grow.”

And there are many ahaadeeth which point to the prohibition of singing and musical instruments and indicate that they are a means which leads to great evil and bad consequences. The great scholar Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah be pleased with him) discussed the rulings on singing and musical instruments in great detail in his book Ighaathat al-Lahfaan.

Fourthly: This writer tells lies about the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) by saying that he used to listen to songs and music and enjoined them at Eid and on occasions such as marriage and other joyous occasions. It is proven that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) granted a dispensation to women only, when there are no men present, allowing them to beat the daff and sing nasheeds which are free of any mention of love or the music and instruments, which includes the permissive songs that exist nowadays. Rather he allowed nasheeds that are free of such offensive characteristics and he allowed beating the daff only, not other kinds of drums or musical instruments, to proclaim marriage. It is narrated in saheeh ahaadeeth, as in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade musical instruments of all types and issued stern warnings against them. It is narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and other books of hadeeth that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There will be among my ummah people who will regard as permissible zina (adultery), silk, alcohol and ma’aazif (musical instruments). Some people will camp at the top of a mountain with their shepherd looking after their sheep, and a poor man will come and ask for something, and they will say, ‘Come back to us tomorrow.’ But Allaah will destroy them and level the mountain, and will turn others into monkeys and pigs until the Day of Resurrection.”

The word ma’aazif (translated above as musical instruments) refers to singing and all kinds of instruments. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) condemned those who regard as permissible zina (adultery), the wearing of silk for men and the drinking of alcohol, and who listen to singing and musical instruments. He mentioned that alongside zina, alcohol and the wearing of silk by men, which indicates that singing and musical instruments are emphatically forbidden.

May Allaah help us all to learn the truth and follow it.

May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=music

Malaikah
12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
:sl:

May Allah guide him and all of us, and bestow His mercy upon us.

Lets not turn this into a fitnah thread. :)

BlissfullyJaded
12-21-2006, 06:58 PM

Our opinion whether it is okay doesn't matter. Islam's stance on Music is clear, and has been discussed to no end in many threads here.

It goes agaisnt the traditions of islam but isnt Haram!
How does something go against Islam, yet still be halaal?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
12-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I was passing through WHSmith the other day and saw his album on selling amongst the other chart-toppers. The debate over whether or not music is Haram has been had many times and no doubt shall continue to thrive. People shall always bring forth evidence and say 'Music isn't haram providing the contents is clean' and another shall come forth and say 'Music is haram, regardless!'

Helena
12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
his got album out in the mainstream?....wot is it called?....am soo behind...the worlds ahead of me...

glo
12-22-2006, 02:09 AM
It is called 'An other cup'
http://www.inthenews.co.uk/entertain...p-$458239.html
Yusuf Islam recently performed during the Nobel Peace Prize Concert in honour of Muhammad Yunus from Bangladesh:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/20122006/32...e-concert.html

Keltoi
12-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Wish there was a option like "His music is bad so it is definately Haram"...

i212
12-22-2006, 02:39 AM
As long as the music not misled us and not bring "bad" feeling,
I thnk its Ok but not encourage.

Malaikah
12-22-2006, 02:42 AM

^Do you have evidence for that claim? The vast majority of the scholars say it is haram altogether, and that is what is indicated by the hadith.

i212
12-22-2006, 02:50 AM
Malaikah,
Correct me if i were wrong...
If music are Haram, then why there are Da'wah song or Nasyid.
Actually I have nothing to backup my statement.

glo
12-22-2006, 02:54 AM
The songs on his new album are definitely of a religious nature, speaking of God and His Beloved ...

MinAhlilHadeeth
12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Please stay on topic. Hadith-rejecting arguments stay outside of this thread please.:)

Malaikah
12-23-2006, 05:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i212
Malaikah,
Correct me if i were wrong...
If music are Haram, then why there are Da'wah song or Nasyid.
Actually I have nothing to backup my statement.

Just because people make "Islamic" songs with music in them, that does not mean that music is allowed. If a Muslim stole something, does that mean that stealing is halal? Nope. Do you see what I mean?:)

Here is an article explaining why it is haram. I provided some of the main points here also:

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The view of the four Imaams is that all kinds of musical instruments are haraam. It was reported in Saheeh al-Bukhaari and elsewhere that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that there would be among his ummah those who would allow zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments, and he said that they would be transformed into monkeys and pigs… None of the followers of the imaams mentioned any dispute concerning the matter of music. (al-Majmoo’, 11/576)

The exception to the above is the daff – without any rings (i.e., a hand-drum which looks like a tambourine, but without any rattles) – when used by women on Eids and at weddings. This is indicated by saheeh reports.

Conclusion:

Perhaps – for fair-minded and objective readers – this summary will make it clear that the view that music is permissible has no firm basis. There are no two views on this matter.

For heaps more information and the rest of the article, please see: http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=5000&ln=eng

Take care. :)

smile
12-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't like yusuf islam's songs anymore

I used to like them when he first reverted to islam but they aren't the same anymore

Idris
12-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I don't like yusuf islam's songs anymore

I used to like them when he first reverted to islam but they aren't the same anymore
That by which the Ummah has been put to trial in current times is the emergence of a people who wear the gown of knowledge, abrogate the Sharee’ah in the name of "revivalism" and facilitate all of the ways to corruption in the name of "understanding the ease and lenience of Islaam". And so they opened up evil and despicable avenues in the name of "ijtihaad". Then they belittled the affairs of the Sunnah in the name of the "understanding of priorities" and they also declared their loyalty for the Infidels in the name of "creating a good picture of Islaam".

I don't Him and his song's

sister_fatimah
12-25-2006, 09:35 PM
I've choosen the first , music issue is more than clear ..I imagine that he knows the consequences for himself to do sumthing haraam , and maybe he can give a bad imagine , some non muslims can start to say, oh why u dontl listen music if cat stevens is muslims and sing?? or sumthing like that ...I dont know , but I dont like the idea .:-[ :-[ :-[

Woodrow
12-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Just a few thoughts.

Music is haram.

Leaves only one sensible solution before any of us gets led wrongly.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.