/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a beard/Gimaar/Niqaab?

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Assalamo Aleikom,

I was wondering how my sisters and brothers walk in the streets!

Thanks a lot!!
Baraka Allaho fiekom

Wassalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MuSe
12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
:sl:

How I walk in the streets, sister? Especially careful not to walk under a car:X

No, seriously, I try as much as possible to keep my beard :) but as a revert my parents aren't too happy with it...

:w:

Rabi'ya
12-21-2006, 12:40 PM

i wear hijab/jilbab but as the brother said above, and im a revert tooo, my parents arent that happy with it either :)

rabi'ya:rose:

shariq_0189
12-21-2006, 02:30 PM
well i kinda have a beard its still growing. but most of the time i wear my thobe and topee ( hat) when im at school or outside somewhere,

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
12-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I walk as a Muslimah...wiv ma head held high...(but not so high that I trip over a dog!) :giggling:

lol nah I wear hijab and jilbab Alhamdulillah :) :w:

Inshallah
12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I can grow a proper beared in a month but my grandma is always on my case your to young for one, i'm like "huh" but in a few years inshallah i will have one when i'm older after i'm married.

MuSe
12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inshallah
I can grow a proper beared in a month but my grandma is always on my case your to young for one, i'm like "huh" but in a few years inshallah i will have one when i'm older after i'm married.
same here, both my mom and my grandma keep saying that I look too old with beard.:)

Re.TiReD
12-21-2006, 03:28 PM
lol I dont see a problem with that...

MuSe
12-21-2006, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by dreamer
lol I dont see a problem with that...
Me neither, is better to cover a babyface;D

Re.TiReD
12-21-2006, 03:38 PM
hehe! lol also the mark of a Muslim :) :w:

zaria
12-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Salaam,

I were khimar and Abaya's or tunics

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I usually have a beard, but i shaved it off yesterday because i am going traveling overseas in less than 36 hours, i don't want trouble.

YusufNoor
12-21-2006, 07:03 PM

da beard! :beard:

and all the Somalian Brothers are either in awe or jealous!:giggling:

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I usually have a beard, but i shaved it off yesterday because i am going traveling overseas in less than 36 hours, i don't want trouble.
Subhanna Allah brother!

You have to trust Allah (Subhana huw Wata3ala). Allah says in the Quran:

''Wa Tawakul 3ala Allah, Wa Kafa Bilahi Wakeela"

He also says:

"If you will be ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you in the day of resurection"

They can't do you no harm. And if they do, Allah is only testing you!

Ghair Insha Allah
Wassalamo Aleikom

Masha Allah, many brothers and sisters have the proper looks! Next step: Jihaadu Nafs for us all!!!

Me myself, i wear a full gimar, jilbaab Alhamdolilah. Thatwas also my fist step beginning to practise my faith!

7ayaakomo Allah

Wassalam

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Asalam alaikum,

format_quote Originally Posted by FollowingAlhuda
"If you will be ashamed of me, I will be ashamed of you in the day of resurection"

Who said i was ashamed? I simply want a trip which is hassle free. The last time i traveled, 3 years ago, i got stopped and searched in 4 airports within 24 hours.

They can't do you no harm. And if they do, Allah is only testing you!
I don't fear men, i simply don't want to waste my time answering their questions for hours, and i don't want them to make a mess of my luggage again.

I've still got a patch of Hair on my chin, which is the least requirement according to the Hanifi School of Thought.

Wa'salaam

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-21-2006, 07:17 PM
thats out of order though, just coz u have a beard, dey stop u? :-S

why should u shave of ur beard for THEM?

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Asalam Alaikum,

Just thought i'd share a word of advise before i logged off.

I am not speaking against the beard,..Keeping a beard is Sunnah, allhumdulilah. But muslims have to quit this Romance they have with their beards. I know far too many muslims who would happily call another muslim a 'kaffir' or 'sell out' if the other Muslim is clean shaven.

A beard is not what makes one a Muslim. If it did, the George Lucus, Santa Claus, Billy the goat are all muslims.

But as we all know, that, in reality, is not the case.

Once again, i am not speaking against the beard, i am speaking against people who see a beard as something which seperates a Muslim from a Non-muslim.

Wa'salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
thats out of order though, just coz u have a beard, dey stop u? :-S

why should u shave of ur beard for THEM?
Asalam alaikum,

Heres the funny thing,... when i traveled TO england, i was clean shaven. I had no problems.

On the way back, i had a beard, and i had a 'tope'/cap on, and i got stopped in 4 airports and got searched/interregated.

Now why do you think i shaved for 'them'?

Read my posts again. You seem to be missing the point.

Wa'salaam

al_faaris574
12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Asalam Alaikum,

I am not speaking against the beard,..Keeping a beard is Sunnah, allhumdulilah. But muslims have to quit this Romance they have with their beards. I know far too many muslims who would happily call another muslim a 'kaffir' or 'sell out' if the other Muslim is clean shaven.

A beard is not what makes one a Muslim. If it did, the George Lucus, Santa Claus, Billy the goat are all muslims.

Once again, i am not speaking against the beard, i am speaking against people who see a beard as something which seperates a Muslim from a Non-muslim.

Wa'salaam

Although I agree with you on the point, that merely having a beard does not make someone a great Muslim, the beard IS however not just Sunnah. It is Waajib, as the hadith pertaining to the beard are commands from the Prophet ordering us to lengthen the beard, and to shave is Haraam. The majority of Scholars hold this view.

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Who said i was ashamed? I simply want a trip which is hassle free. The last time i traveled, 3 years ago, i got stopped and searched in 4 airports within 24 hours.

I don't fear men, i simply don't want to waste my time answering their questions for hours, and i don't want them to make a mess of my luggage again.

I've still got a patch of Hair on my chin, which is the least requirement according to the Hanifi School of Thought.

Wa'salaam
I know your not ashamed, i mean that nobody has to keep you from practising you faith. This is the most important thing.

And i know about the airports. But you know, wheter you become like them or not! They will never accept you. Also brothers with no beard are searched and asked. As soon as they see an Arab, it's a terrorist! And the Prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) sayd this also. THEY will never accept you.

I don't know about the beard issue. I do not follow the Hanifi school (only). I follow the strongest opinion. And that is, let your beard grow and cut you mustage.

Wa Allahu a3lem.

But, i know what you mean about luggage and stuff. But you have to see what people did to our Prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him).

Ghair Insha Allah.It is just a naseeha..

Wassalam

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_faaris574

Although I agree with you on the point, that merely having a beard does not make someone a great Muslim, the beard IS however not just Sunnah. It is Waajib, as the hadith pertaining to the beard are commands from the Prophet ordering us to lengthen the beard, and to shave is Haraam. The majority of Scholars hold this view.

Asalam alaikum,

Yes, it is haram. But keep in mind, like i said, according to the Hanifi madhab, a Patch of hair on ones CHIN is the LEAST requirement. If one does grow a patch of hair on their chin, one is not living in Sin. Now, if i had COMPLETELY shaven my beard, then yes, i would be living in sin.

Wa'salaam

MuSe
12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=beard

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Asalam Alaikum,

Wa'salaam

Asalam alaikum,

Heres the funny thing,... when i traveled TO england, i was clean shaven. I had no problems.

On the way back, i had a beard, and i had a 'tope'/cap on, and i got stopped in 4 airports and got searched/interregated.

Now why do you think i shaved for 'them'?

Read my posts again. You seem to be missing the point.

Wa'salaam
Assalamo Aleikom,

I have to warn you! The prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) warned us of our opinions.
And why are you saying that some people with a beard do Takfier (Astaghfierollah).
Whe are here to follow the sunnah of Muhammad (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him). And a beard is not the most important thing, i agree. But the brothers who whear it do not say so!

But i cannot take your opinion serious...sorry! Whe have the prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) and scollars that give us advise. Walhamdolilah!

Just a naseeha, beware of opinions, it can ruin the sunnah!

Wassalam

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Asalam alaikum,

I know your not ashamed, i mean that nobody has to keep you from practising you faith. This is the most important thing.
I am practising my faith.

And i know about the airports. But you know, wheter you become like them or not! They will never accept you. Also brothers with no beard are searched and asked. As soon as they see an Arab, it's a terrorist! And the Prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) sayd this also. THEY will never accept you.
I don't want to be like them, nor do i want their acceptance. I simply want to be able to go from one place to another without being harrassed.

But, i know what you mean about luggage and stuff. But you have to see what people did to our Prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him).
Yes, i realise what people did to our beloved Prophet (saw). I do not have the same amount of patience that he (saw) had... ask anyone on this forum ( :heated: ) nor do i have the Hikma that he (saw) had, Nor am i guided by the Divine as he (saw) was.

Ghair Insha Allah.It is just a naseeha..
I appreciate the fact that you care enough to give me Naseeha sis, jazakallah. But there is no need for it.

Wa'salaam

Helena
12-21-2006, 07:33 PM

alhamdulilah i've been wearing hijab the age of 10 and jilbaab at the age of 16....so nothing has stopped moi from wearing it....

al_faaris574
12-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Yes, it is haram. But keep in mind, like i said, according to the Hanifi madhab, a Patch of hair on ones CHIN is the LEAST requirement. If one does grow a patch of hair on their chin, one is not living in Sin. Now, if i had COMPLETELY shaven my beard, then yes, i would be living in sin.

Wa'salaam

Thats the first I've heard. All the Hanafi scholars I have met have been unanimous on the length of the beard being minimum a fist length. Do you have any proof substantiating this claim?

Here is a Fatwa, by a Hanafi Scholar on the matter:

Imaam Bukhari, Radi-Allahu anhu, reports on the authority of Naafi' who narrates from Abdullah ibn Umar, Radi-Allahu anhu, that Rasulullah said, 'Oppose the Mushrikeen (polytheists); lengthen the beard and trim the moustache.'

Naafi' further states, 'And ibn Umar, Radi-Allahu anhu, during Hajj or Umrah used to hold on to his beard with his fist and cut off whatever was in excess of that.' (Bukhari vol.2 pg.875; Kitaab-ul-Libaas)

Through this Hadith, the verdict of the growing of the beard being wajib(obligatory) is deduced. That is because any explicit command of Rasulullah will be regarded as wajib, if there is no apparent, clear reason/proof which states that that particular command is for Istihbaab (preference). This is an established fact in Usool-ul-Fiqh (principles of jurisprudence).

Moreover, the Wujoob is further emphasized by the fact that Rasulullah did practice this in his entire life. Know well that Rasulullah did not trim his beard in his life (there is no Sahih Hadith which proves otherwise). However, because the narrator himself (Ibn Umar, Radi-Allahu anhu, did trim his beard up to a fist's length, this implies that the Wujoob of keeping a beard is up to a fist length only.

Furthermore, such has also been reported from Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra, Radi-Allahu anhu, and other Taabi'een. (Tamheed of ibn Abdul-Barr and Fathul Baari). Therefore, the meaning of our statement that you question is, 'If any person has trimmed his beard up to less than one fist, then his beard will not be a Shar'ee beard.'

Lastly, for your knowledge, the sayings and actions of the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Anhum) are a Hujjah (proof) according to the majority of the scholars. However, the conditions for acceptance may differ. This is also an established principle in Usool-ul-Fiqh. Hence, the non-compliance to a Shar'ee beard by the scholars you have mentioned does not hold any weight in front of the Shar'ee proof we have mentioned.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

CHECKED AND APPROVED: Mufti Ebrahim Desai

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuSe
Is it haraam (to shave it)? Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (scholarly consensus) all indicate that we must differ from the kuffaar in all aspects and not imitate them, because imitating them on the outside will make us imitate them in their bad deeds and habits, and even in beliefs, which will result in befriending them in our hearts, just as loving them in our hearts will lead to imitating them on the outside. Al-Tirmidhi reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who imitates people other than us. Do not imitate the Jews and Christians.” According to another version: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” (Reported by Imaam Ahmad) ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab rejected the testimony of the person who plucked his beard. Imaam Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said in al-Tamheed: “It is forbidden to shave the beard, and no one does this except men who are effeminate” i.e., those who imitate women. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had a thick beard (reported by Muslim from Jaabir). It is not permitted to remove any part of the beard because of the general meaning of the texts which forbid doing so.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...=eng&txt=beard

djazaaka Allah ghair.

It is very important to stick to the sunna. Even though the hanifi madhab says so, there are stronger opinions, like the ones above!

Wassalam

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Asalam alaikum,

If you provided that link for others to read, then its ok. But if you posted it for me to read, then please, in the future, don't bother. The day i start accepting Fatwas from Islam-qa is the day i chop my own hands off.

Assalamo Aleikom,

I have to warn you! The prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) warned us of our opinions.
Tell that to Shaykh Taj, the Mufti of Australia and New Zealand, because he shares the same view.

Assalamo Aleikom,
And why are you saying that some people with a beard do Takfier (Astaghfierollah).
Sis, you might want to look through this forum abit harder than you are doing at the moment. Because there are muslims on here that do Takfier on other Muslims.

It doesn't just happen on forums, it happens in reality. Welcome to reality.

Whe are here to follow the sunnah of Muhammad (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him). And a beard is not the most important thing, i agree. But the brothers who whear it do not say so!
You don't know the brothers that i know.

I wish i knew the brothers who you know.

But i cannot take your opinion serious...sorry! Whe have the prophet (May the peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) and scollars that give us advise. Walhamdolilah!
Like i said, what i've done, it was done according to the Hanifi School. I do not follow the opinions of Ibn Taymiyyah ( may allah swt bless him ) etc.

And my 'opinions' are not just 'my opinions', it is the opinion of highly respected Scholar(s).

Wa'salaam

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 07:44 PM
-__

BlissfullyJaded
12-21-2006, 07:45 PM

You cannot force anybody to follow the opinion you want them to follow. Naseeha is wonderful, but realize that members do have imaams whom they turn to in real life, so not necessarily will the rulings given to them online mean that much to them. You can't accuse them of fatwa shopping for that. Just saying...

On a personal note, I don't understand why some brothers shave and go out of their way to look western when they're travelling with their female relatives who're covered up modestly. It just feeds to the sterotype that Muslimahs really are oppressed. We have to wear all this funny clothing while the guys can dress as they please. (This is not aimed at you brother SirZubair, it is just something that has been on my mind a while.)

Anyhow, voted third option.

Snowflake
12-21-2006, 07:46 PM

My soont-to-be-ex husband shaved his beard off saying he won't get a Visa. I told him to put his faith in Allah. But he thought otherwise. His visa application this time was rejected.

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Thats the first I've heard. All the Hanafi scholars I have met have been unanimous on the length of the beard being minimum a fist length.
Like i said, 'the least requirement'. Do i have to spell it out?

A fist length is SUNNAH, a patch on the Chin is the L E A S T R E Q U I R E M E N T.

Do you have any proof substantiating this claim?
Insha'allah once i come back from Overseas, i will contact my Ustad and present you with the Daleel.

Until then, give it a rest

Wa'salaam

MuSe
12-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Here you go brother, if you only accept hanafi, then I give you hanafi evidence.

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/beard_hanafi_deobandi.shtml
http://www.albalagh.net/qa/beard_shariah.shtml
Verdict of Keeping the Beard according to the Hanafi Madhab

Allaamah ibnul Humaam (RA) has mentioned that nobody has permitted the trimming of the beard lesser than a fist length. (Fathul Qadeer; Shaami; Fataawa Mahmoodiyyah vol.5 pgs.93, 105, 108)
http://www.alinaam.org.za/dhadith/sbeard.htm
Hanafi madhab:

To trim the beard when it is less than a fist’s length, as done by some western people and hermaphrodites is not permissible in the opinion of all the jurists. To shave the beard as done by the Jews, Hindus and others is also not permissible.
(Durre Mukhtar)
http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/sotb.html
Hanafi

Imam Muhammed (R.A.) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifa (R.A.) who relates from Hadhrat Haytham (R.A.) who relates from Ibn Umar (R.A.) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (R.A.) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, according to Hanafies, to shorten the beard less than a FIST LENGTH is HARAAM and on this is IJMA (concensus of opinion).

http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Asalam alaikum.

format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

You cannot force anybody to follow the opinion you want them to follow. Naseeha is wonderful, but realize that members do have imaams whom they turn to in real life, so not necessarily will the rulings given to them online mean that much to them. You can't accuse them of fatwa shopping for that. Just saying...
Finally, a rational post ! Thank you. You've restored my faith in humanity. lol.

On a personal note, I don't understand why some brothers shave and go out of their way to look western when they're travelling with their female relatives who're covered up modestly. It just feeds to the sterotype that Muslimahs really are oppressed. We have to wear all this funny clothing while the guys can dress as they please. (This is not aimed at you brother SirZubair, it is just something that has been on my mind a while.)

I know that wasn't aimed at me Sis. You made a very good point there.

Wa'salaam

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Tell that to Shaykh Taj, the Mufti of Australia and New Zealand, because he shares the same view.

I do not know him, i follow the scollars of Ahlu Sunna Wal Djama3a. I do not know shaykh Taj, but i can asure you the most scollars, and the khulafa Arrasjidien, are allerting to this issue of opinions

Sis, you might want to look through this forum abit harder than you are doing at the moment. Because there are muslims on here that do Takfier on other Muslims.

It doesn't just happen on forums, it happens in reality. Welcome to reality.

You don't know the brothers that i know.

I wish i knew the brothers who you know.
Alhamdolilah, i do not know brothers like that. But then again, i do not look upon brothers or sisters. I look into my religion.

Like i said, what i've done, it was done according to the Hanifi School. I do not follow the opinions of Ibn Taymiyyah ( may allah swt bless him ) etc.

And my 'opinions' are not just 'my opinions', it is the opinion of highly respected Scholar(s).

Subhanna Allah! Ibn Taymiyyah is one of the most high respected scollars. Next to Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Imaam Malik, Imaam Hanifi, Imaam Shafi'i.

Gheir Insha Allah, maybe you should READ the books of Ibn Taymiyaa!

Wassalam

strider
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
I am a Muslim sister, who wears the Hijab but not a jilbab although i do dress modestly. How do i vote?

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Here you go brother, if you only accept hanafi, then I give you hanafi evidence.

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/beard_hanafi_deobandi.shtml
http://www.albalagh.net/qa/beard_shariah.shtml
bismillah ar-rahman ar-rahim,

the following is supplemented by a recent conversation in which a brother asked al-Habib Ali al-Jifry (one of our teachers from Hadramawt, Yemen) about the madhab's opinion on the beard:

Growing the beard is a command from the Prophet Muhammad (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) to the men of his Ummah. More specifically, the prohibition is to not shave the beard (that is, a man who simply cannot grow facial hair at all has not disobeyed this command). Although Imam as-Shafi'i wrote an opinion that shaving the beard is haram...the mu'tamid or most relied upon opinion in our madhab is that shaving the beard is makruh.

Letting the beard grow is a sunnah that is highly recommended by our fuqaha, may Allah have mercy on them. Anyone who loves the Messenger of Allah (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) should know that following his sunnah is a sign of sincere love. Anyone who despises the beard or makes fun of it should know that belittling or making fun of the sunnah is prohibited.

Now, we must be clear as to what the definition of "beard" is. The arabic term is "liHya." The scholars of the Shafi'i, Hanbali, and Maliki madhabs take the linguistic definition of the word "liHya" to be: the hair that sprouts from the chin. In fact, as can be found in "Nayl ar-Rajaa'" the sharh of the text "Safinat an-Najaa'" the author, as-Sayyid Ahmad b. Umar as-Shatiri lists 20 different hairs on the face that have been defined by the fuqaha. some of them (with my own translations) are as follows:

liHya (beard): the hair that sprouts from the chin (goatee region).

`aariDayn (sideburns): the two patches of hair that descend from the ear level to the chin, along the jawbone.

shaarib (mustache): the hair that sprouts above the upper lip.

sibaalayn (connectors): the two lines of hair that extend from the ends of the mustache and connect to the goatee (not all men have this)

`anfaqah (soul patch): the tuft of hair that sprouts below the lower lip.

nafakatayn (I don't know how translate this): the two patches of hair on either side of the `anfaqah (some men don't have this).

khaddayn (mid to upper cheek hairs) the two patches of hair that sprout on the cheeks... it was named after its location.

Remember, out of all of these hair,..it is the liHya that the believing men are commanded to let grow. Letting the sideburns and mustache grow are considered acts of sunnah...the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) did this is but did not command the Muslim men to do this. Habib Ali al-Jifry said that at one time, some of the `ulama of the Arabian Peninsula used to let their goatees grow and shave their sideburns to indicate that they understood the hukm of which one was mandatory and which one was sunnah. For the overwhelming majority of the knowledgeable scholars, the stricter opinion of the liHya being wajib is taken. Habib Ali said that it would be despicable for a student of sacred knowledge to shave his liHya as well as for anyone who sincerely wishes to follow the footsteps of our beloved Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam).

Trimming the beard is permissible and the most recommended length is a fist-length. Be careful not to trim you beard to the point where it no longer fits the definition: the hair that *sprouts* (nabit) from the chin. (I personally don't think stubble would count, but Allah knows best).

Finally, (and this is very important), Habib Ali stated that we should remember that the beard in its essence is not a criterion for taqwa. People of other religions have been known to grow very long beards, but that says nothing of their position with Allah. To look at another Muslim and judge his closeness to Allah by the length of his beard (or whether he has one for that matter) would be a grave mistake.

wa Allahu a`lam

forgive me

wassalaam
Omar Mahmood
http://qa.s u n n i p a t h /issue_v...4&redirect=yes

As a smart man once said..

The upshot is that since there is a valid difference of opinion, therefore you are quite within your rights to grow a beard, and believe it to be obligatory, however the obligation to chastice your brothers in Islam for not having one is lifted from you, alHamdulillah. In fact, in such cases it's impermissible to condemn a person who follows a different valid position from the one you follow.
So please, learn to respect the views of others. Don't shove your fatwas down my throat.

Wa'salaam

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Subhanna Allah sister i do not accuse or force anything.
Look sister if we all turn to our imaam, and forget about the major scollars, Islaam will become like christianity. Everyone will interpetate Islaam in his own way.
And this is what you see now, the is not one islamic comunity their a lot!

We have to follow the sunna according to the interpetations of the selef. The once who where actually with the Prophet (Sallalaho aleihi wassalam)

Sorry if i said something wrong, i do not want to acuse anybody of something.

wassalam

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Subhanna Allah! Ibn Taymiyyah is one of the most high respected scollars. Next to Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Imaam Malik, Imaam Hanifi, Imaam Shafi'i.
He is a respected Scholar, sure.

Most high respected Scholar? I beg to differ.

Yes, according to the SALAFI 'ahlus sunnah wa'l jamaah' he is one of the most respected scholars.

According to the Ahlus Sunnah Wa'l Jamaah ( The majority ) he is not. Don't get me wrong, he is respected, but at the end of the day, the majority do not follow his Aqeedah

Wa'salaam

Fishman
12-21-2006, 08:04 PM
I have a tiny blonde beard. It's comming along well...

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Yes, according to the SALAFI 'ahlus sunnah wa'l jamaah' he is one of the most respected scholars.

According to the Ahlus Sunnah Wa'l Jamaah ( The majority ) he is not. Don't get me wrong, he is respected, but at the end of the day, the majority do not follow his Aqeedah

Wa'salaam
One of the not THE

I don't know for sure about his aqeedah jou may be right. I didn't study it all. But most scollars recomand his books.

Wa Allaho a3lem.
Ghair

Wassalam

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I have a tiny blonde beard. It's comming along well...
Funny, most of the reverst i know (just by face) have also a tiny little blonde beard.

Wassalam

Maarya
12-21-2006, 08:13 PM
salam
i hav worn the hijaab since the age of 3 (and am now 16) and i started wearing the jilbaab since August this year. i went to Dubai for a holiday in August and being in an islamic country, surrounded by women who wear the jilbaab made me want to wear it.
wslm

Fishman
12-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Funny, most of the reverst i know (just by face) have also a tiny little blonde beard.

Wassalam
It's probably because when a new area of hair starts to grow on a white guy it usually starts out blonde, then turns whatever colour their hair is. I used to have blonde hair when I was a kid. And these reverts probably have a small beard because they have been shaving all their life. I have never shaved in my life, I didn't have a beard before I became Muslim, so I also have a small beard.

Does anybody here dye their beard orange?

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maarya
salam
i hav worn the hijaab since the age of 3 (and am now 16) and i started wearing the jilbaab since August this year. i went to Dubai for a holiday in August and being in an islamic country, surrounded by women who wear the jilbaab made me want to wear it.
wslm
And wasn't that great! I must have feel great, to not be a stranger for a sec!

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
It's probably because when a new area of hair starts to grow on a white guy it usually starts out blonde, then turns whatever colour their hair is. I used to have blonde hair when I was a kid. And these reverts probably have a small beard because they have been shaving all their life. I have never shaved in my life, I didn't have a beard before I became Muslim, so I also have a small beard.

Does anybody here dye their beard orange?
Oke Masha Allah, i asume your a young brother?

SirZubair
12-21-2006, 08:29 PM
One of the not THE

I don't know for sure about his aqeedah jou may be right. I didn't study it all. But most scollars recomand his books.

Wa Allaho a3lem.
Ghair

Wassalam
Asalam alaikum,

MOST SCHOLARS?

Please, do not exegerate.

Wa'salaam

Kamilah
12-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Alhamdulillah I wear Hijab, Jilbaab and Niqaab.

Fishman
12-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Oke Masha Allah, i asume your a young brother?
I'm fifteen.

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Wa Alaykom Salaam.

Masha Allah that's very young!

.::Hayaat::.
12-21-2006, 09:46 PM
assalam alaykum.
i love my gimaar and jilbaab. It helps me watch how i behave and what i say. Have to make sure it matches with my wore drobe of course!
My parents were not too happy with the gimaar. Tho their muslims. They were concerned about how it could have a negative effect on my grades:?
Inshallah allah is making it easy for me now!
Im happy and free from my own ego!
Wa Salam!

Umar001
12-21-2006, 09:52 PM
What do I choose if I have a beard, well I have never shaved, but my hair is very very short, but growing inshaAllah and no Im not young :mmokay:

FollowingAlhuda
12-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes i understand, i helps me watch my behavious also Subhanna Allah!

And it helped a lot!

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
What do I choose if I have a beard, well I have never shaved, but my hair is very very short, but growing inshaAllah and no Im not young :mmokay:
Ghair Insha Allah,

everything with steps

Hijrah
12-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Asalam alaikum,

Wa'salaam
Salafiyyah is obligatory, it is a matter of following the Sunnah and the ways of the salaf, do you have any other choice but that?!!

Anyway the numbers for the poll look good masha'allah

Asalam alaikum,

Wa'salaam
This is the problem, I myself am a follower of the hanafi madhab but when there is evidence given of the sin in shaving it all off, you have to rely on the sunnah.

And if you can, please give the evidence that Abu Haneefah (Raheemullah) uses to justify shaving everything except the hair on the chin

SirZubair
12-22-2006, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
Salafiyyah is obligatory, it is a matter of following the Sunnah and the ways of the salaf, do you have any other choice but that?!!
Why don't you start a poll ( on a non-salafi forum ) and ask the same question there? The majority of Muslims are not Salafis. 'Salafis' don't even make 1/10th of the Muslim population in the world.

When you use the term 'Salafi', are you refering to the Salafis of the days that have gone by? Or the Salafis of this day and age? Because there is a difference between the two.

Anyway, sorry for bringing up the issue of Salafism in this thread. I had gone off topic. Lets get back on topic.

This is the problem, I myself am a follower of the hanafi madhab but when there is evidence given of the sin in shaving it all off, you have to rely on the sunnah.
And that is exactly why i said one should not shave it all off. Did i not?

And if you can, please give the evidence that Abu Haneefah (Raheemullah) uses to justify shaving everything except the hair on the chin
Like i mentioned in one of my earlier posts, i will present you with the Daleel insha'allah after i come back from Overseas in Febuary, my Ustaad is extremely busy at the moment as well, so i don't want to burden him with my questions. Be patient, insha'allah, i'll get back to you.

Until then, please read thru this post of mine.

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...tml#post603522

Hijrah
12-22-2006, 02:49 AM

Why don't you start a poll ( on a non-salafi forum ) and ask the same question there? The majority of Muslims are not Salafis. 'Salafis' don't even make 1/10th of the Muslim population in the world.

When you use the term 'Salafi', are you refering to the Salafis of the days that have gone by? Or the Salafis of this day and age? Because there is a difference between the two.

Anyway, sorry for bringing up the issue of Salafism in this thread. I had gone off topic. Lets get back on topic.

Tell me the difference, if only 1/10th of Muslims are then I don't know what to say other than THAT's a BAD THING

And that is exactly why i said one should not shave it all off. Did i not?
My mistake, I meant let it grow not shaving any of it off...

Like i mentioned in one of my earlier posts, i will present you with the Daleel insha'allah after i come back from Overseas in Febuary, my Ustaad is extremely busy at the moment as well, so i don't want to burden him with my questions. Be patient, insha'allah, i'll get back to you.

Until then, please read thru this post of mine.

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...tml#post603522
jazakallah khairan:)

SirZubair
12-22-2006, 03:03 AM
Tell me the difference, if only 1/10th of Muslims are then I don't know what to say other than THAT's a BAD THING

Asalam alaikum,

If you are sincere in seeking my opinion on this matter, PM me. We will not discuss this in this thread, or any other thread, since the forum rules are against these discussions taking place in public.

I will be a little late in replying, i am trying to get lots of washing done, then need to organise something to do with ' Da Boys ' tonight, since it is one of my last nights as a Free man. lol.

Wa'salaam

- Zubair

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-22-2006, 03:51 AM

Because of the general lack of benefit in this thread it will be closed. Insha'Allah we can focus on learning the Deen instead of a poll such as this.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.