/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Omens: My right eye has been twitching for more than a week

tresbien
12-22-2006, 05:20 PM
My right eye has been twitching for more than a week. Some people have told me that this is a bad omen. What do you advise me?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There is no connection between what you have mentioned about your eye twitching and bad luck. Rather this is a kind of superstition which the Muslim must beware of, because it is one of the actions of Jaahiliyyah. It was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade superstitious belief in bad omens and he said that this is a form of minor shirk that is contrary to the Tawheed in which we must believe, because superstition is a trick by means of which the Shaytaan seeks to cause fear and whisper into people’s hearts. What is meant by superstition here is regarding something that one sees, hears or knows as a bad omen.

The Prophet’s prohibition of superstition is mentioned in more than one hadeeth, for example:

The hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no ‘adawa (contagion except by the will of Allaah) and no tiyarah (superstitious belief in bird omens).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5757; Muslim, 102.

Abu Dawood (3910) and al-Tirmidhi (1614) narrated, in a report that was classed as saheeh by al-Tirmidhi, that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Tiyarah is shirk, tiyarah is shirk,’ but there is none of us who… but Allaah takes it away by means of trust in Him (tawakkul).” The words “there is none of us who…” are the words of Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), not of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). What this means is that there is no one among us who does not experience some kind of tiyarah and superstition in his heart, but Allaah takes that away from the heart by means of the person putting his trust in Him and delegating his affairs to Him.

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no ‘adawa and no tiyarah, but I like optimism.” They said: “What is optimism?” He said: A good word.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5756; Muslim, 2220.

These ahaadeeth clearly indicate that superstition is haraam and warn against it, because it involves the heart being attached to something other than Allaah, and because everyone who believes that some things may have an effect of bringing benefits or causing harm when Allaah has not caused them to be so, has committed the sin of minor shirk, and has opened the door to the Shaytaan to make him afraid and cause him mental, physical or financial harm. Hence the Lawgiver forbids superstition and declares it to be false, and tells us that it has no effect of either bringing benefits or warding off harm.

Once you have understood this, then if any such thoughts occur to you, you must fear Allaah and put your trust in Him and seek His help. You should not pay any attention to these bad thoughts and false notions. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us the remedy for superstition, which was narrated by Imam Ahmad in his Musnad (2/220) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Saheehah (1065), from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “If tiyarah stops a man from doing what he needs to, then he has committed shirk.” They said: “What is the expiation for that?’ He said: “To say: ‘Allaahumma laa khayra illa khayruka wa laa tayra illa tayruka, wa laa ilaaha ghayruka (O Allaah, there is no goodness except Your goodness, and no birds except Your birds, and no god except You).” [Translator’s note: birds are mentioned here because the Arabs of the Jaahiliyyah had a superstitious belief in bird omens and would make decisions based on observations of bird movements]

The believer should not be pessimistic or superstitious, rather he should always be optimistic and think well of His Lord. If he hears something or sees something he should hope for the best, even if it seems to be otherwise. He should hope for good from his Lord in all circumstances. This is how the believer is, for all his affairs are good, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “How wonderful is the affair of the believer, for his affairs are all good, and that does not apply for anyone except the believer. If something good happens to him he gives thanks, and that is good for him; if something bad happens to him he bears it with patience, and that is good for him.” Saheeh Muslim, 2999. Thus the believer is always in a state of contentment and peace of mind, putting his trust in Allaah and far removed from worries and distress which the Shaytaan, who loves to cause grief to the believers although he cannot do them any harm, tries to whisper into his heart. We ask Allaah to keep us and you safe and sound from all bad things. And Allaah knows best.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al_Imaan
12-22-2006, 05:25 PM
thanx for the info..but this happened to me many times and my mom constantly tells me that its a sign of happiness and that something good will happen.

Snowflake
12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
umm my leftie's been twitching for a few days.. heck it's so annoying

the only bad luck it might bring me if I punch my own eye

tresbien
12-22-2006, 06:04 PM
Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

There are several versions of this hadeeth. Al-Bukhaari (5776) and Muslim (2224) narrated from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no ‘adwa (transmission of infectious disease without the permission of Allaah) and no tiyarah (superstitious belief in bird omens), but I like good omens.” They said: What is a good omen?” He said: “A good word.”

Al-Bukhaari (5316) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no ‘adwaa [contagion, transmission of infectious disease without the permission of Allaah], no tiyarah [superstitious belief in bird omens], no haamah [refers to a Jaahili Arab tradition described variously as: a worm which infests the grave of a murder victim until he is avenged; an owl; or the bones of a dead person turned into a bird that could fly], and no Safar [the month of Safar was regarded as “unlucky” during the Jaahiliyyah].”

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “There is no ‘adwa” are general in meaning, thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) states that there is no contagion (without the permission of Allaah).

‘Adwa (contagion) refers to the spread of a disease from a sick person to a healthy one. What happens in the case of physical diseases may also happen in the case of psychological diseases. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that a bad companion is the like one who operates the bellows: Either he will burn your clothes, or you will notice a bad smell from him.

The words “there is no ‘adwa” include both physical and psychological diseases, even though it is more apparent with regard to physical disease.

The words “no tiyarah (lit. superstitious belief in bird omens)” refers to feeling superstitious because of something that you see, hear or know..

With regard to the words “no haamah”, haamah is interpreted in two ways:

1 – That it is a bird similar to an owl, or an owl. The Arabs believed that if a person was killed, his bones became a haamah that could fly and shriek until he was avenged. Some of them believed that the haamah was the soul of the slain person.

2 – Some of the Arabs said that the haamah was a particular bird, which they regarded as a bad omen. If it landed on the house of one of them and made a sound, they said that it was predicting a death. They believed that this was a sign that that person would die soon. All of these are undoubtedly false beliefs.

The words “No Safar” refers to the month of Safar, which the Arabs used to regard as inauspicious, especially for marriage.

And it was said that it was a stomach disease that affected camels and was transmitted from one camel to another; based on this, mentioning it after ‘adwa (contagion) comes under the heading of mentioning something specific after something general.

It is more likely that what is meant by Safar here is the month, and that what is meant by saying “No Safar” is that it is not to be regarded as inauspicious, rather it is like any other time, during which good or bad things may be decreed.

This does not mean that these things do not happen, because they do happen. Rather it is a statement that they do not have any effect. The One Who causes things to happen is Allaah. If any of these things has a known effect then that is valid and real; if any of them is imagined to have an effect, then that is invalid and false. Thus the hadeeth demonstrates that if there is a valid effect, it cannot be attributed to that thing itself (rather the One Who causes it to happen is Allaah). If the effect is merely imagined, then this hadeeth is stating that it has no effect in the first place.

With regard to the words “no contagion (‘adwa)”: contagion is something that happens, as is indicated by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Do not put a sick one with a healthy one” i.e., the owner of a sick camel should not bring it to the owner of a healthy camel, lest the contagion be transmitted.

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Flee from the leper as you would flee from a lion.” Leprosy is a serious disease that is transmitted quickly and kills the one who catches it. It was even said that it is a plague. Hence the command to flee from the leper so that the disease will not be transmitted from him to you. This is an affirmation of the effect of contagion, but its effect is not inevitable in such a way that it affects people by itself. The command of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to flee and not to bring sick camels to where healthy camels are comes under the heading of avoiding the means (that lead to sickness), not attributing the effect to the means themselves. The means do not affect anything themselves, but we should avoid the things that may be a cause of calamity, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and do not throw yourselves into destruction”

[al-Baqarah 2:195]

We cannot say that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was denying the effect of contagion, because contagion is something that is proven to exist in real life and is mentioned in other ahaadeeth.

When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said “there is no ‘adwa”, a man said: “O Messenger of Allaah, the camels may be healthy like deer, then a mangy camel comes and mixes with them and they all get the mange.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “And who infected the first one?” meaning that the disease came to the first one with no contagion, rather it came from Allaah. By the same token, if it was transmitted by contagion, then it was transmitted by the command of Allaah. A thing may have a known cause or it may not have a known cause. The mange of the first one does not have a known cause, apart from the fact that it happened by the will and decree of Allaah, and the mange that came after it does have a known cause. But if Allaah wills the camel will not become mangy. Hence sometimes a camel may get the mange but then it recovers and does not die. The same happens with the plague and cholera; they may enter a house and some may get sick and die, while others are not affected at all.

We have to put our trust in Allaah and depend on Him. It was narrated that a leper came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he took him by the hand and said, “Eat,” i.e., eat of the food that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was eating– because of the strength of his trust in Allaah. This trust counteracts the causes of contagion.

What we have referred to above is the best way of reconciling between the ahaadeeth.

End quote from Sharh Kitaab al-Tawheed, 2/80

Based on this, what is meant by the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) “no ‘adwa (contagion)” is that disease is not transmitted from a sick person to a healthy one by itself, rather it is transmitted by the will and decree of Allaah. If a sick person mixes with healthy ones this is one of the causes of the transmission of disease. But this does not mean that it will inevitably happen, rather it only happens if Allaah wills it. Hence we often see a sick mother give birth to a healthy child, but the disease is not transmitted to the infant.

And Allaah knows best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
faithful
01-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Eyes twitching means you are under a great deal of stress. Something (situation or problem) in your life (work, school, finances, etc) is causing your nervous system to react.

I suffer from it sometimes. As soon as you calm down and the event is no longer worrying you and you get some rest you'll be fine.

taheera
01-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Wow im glad 2 hear that im not the only 1 that gets that anoying prob, when i have had it, it'l last about 3-4 days but of and on.
If its the same thing im talking about Ive always wondered if ne1 else can c it when they r infront of me lol:?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-14-2007, 04:02 AM
i get that too, but sometimes. i dont even realize if im in stress or not...
itll last a day or less...
although i do have stress a lot of times...

*charisma*
02-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

haha, I get it A LOT! Usually it's because I'm tired. I remember the first time I got it I was a little kid, and every time I looked into the mirror, it would stop, and when I'd turn away it'd start again, so I got scared and ran to my aunt and told her and she was laughing and said its because I'm either stressed or too tired, I told her I thought I was going to go blind :D

fi aman allah
w'salaam

doorster
02-23-2009, 09:05 AM
it is either to do with malfunction of nervous system or a result of stress, Irritation in the eye or tiredness or fatigue due to lack of sleep due to excessive television viewing or staring at the computer monitor for hours on end and drinking too much coffee to stay awake

saba muslimah
02-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh simple! Its due to the weakness of our body or veins which slow ciculate blood....and some times countinuosly seeing at one place or thing...then it happens & nothing alse.

bewildred
02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
It simply means that you have a deficience in magnesium. He, He, here's one more reason to eat some yummy dark chocolate.

Well, this is just one more superstition. Here, it's said that when someone's gossiping about you, your eyes twitches. It all reminded me of the Groucho Marx quote saying :"If a black cat is crossing your way, it simply means that the animal is going somewhere". Peace.

saba muslimah
02-25-2009, 06:18 AM
:D hhmm Great

Time
02-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I read in the book about Tawheed by Bilal Phillips (may Allaah always have mercy upon him)

and I really think that it meant eye twitching
okay

A person's eye was twitching and another person came and told her that that was just the devil prodding it with his hand.

doorster
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Time
I read in the book about Tawheed by Bilal Phillips (may Allaah always have mercy upon him)

okay

A person's eye was twitching and another person came and told her that that was just the devil prodding it with his hand.
is it in this book Fundamentals of Tawheed by Bilal Philips ?

Green_shoes
02-27-2009, 12:31 AM
I'd ignore thinking its something to do with omen and pray to allah to keep you away from that sort of thing,

and if you are really concerned why not see a doctor too? they probably could explain why that is happening but its probably nothing too serious and dont believe these tell tales you hear about omens and whatnot, as long as you seek refuge in allah you safe in not paying attention to these "tales" :)

sakena
02-27-2009, 12:59 AM
It's probably just nerves.

~ Sabr ~
06-11-2012, 12:36 PM
:bump: for our newcomers...

Endymion
06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I know that already :skeleton:

MysticSoumeya
06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
It happens a lot to me and I was told it was due to lack of magnesium. Yessssssssssssssssss, there's a lotta chocolate eating ;D

Snowflake
06-16-2012, 11:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Time

okay

It's this hadith:

The Sahabah (radhiallahu anhu) were very strict in regards to charms and omens, whether it be within one's family or outside it. Zaynab, the wife of Abdullah Ibn Mas'oud, reports that once Ibn Mas'oud saw a cord of necklace around her neck and asked, 'What is it?' She replied: 'It is a cord in which a spell has been placed to help me.' He snatched it from her neck, broke it and said: "Surely the family of Abdullah has no need for Shirk! I have heard Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) say: 'Verily spells, talismans and charms are Shirk.'"

Zaynab replied: 'Why are you saying this? My eye used to twitch and when I went to so and so, the Jew, he put a spell on it and it stopped twitching.' Ibn Mas'oud said: 'Verily, it was only a devil prodding it with his hand, so when you had it bewitched he left it. It would have been sufficient for you to say:

Transliteration: "Idh-habil-ba's Rabban-naas washfi antash-shafee Laa shifaa' illa shifaa'uk shifaa'aan laa yughaadiruhu saqama"

"Remove the suffering, O Lord of mankind and heal it perfectly as You are the True Healer. There is no cure except Your cure; a cure which is not followed by sickness." [Sunan Abu Dawood (vol: 3, no: 3874)] Classed as Saheeh by al-Albanee in al-Silsilat al-Saheehah (331 and 2972)]

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...e-supernatural

BadOlPuttyTat
06-20-2012, 03:18 AM
my right eye would make involuntary twitches but this is most likely do to my very poor eyesight. Twitches like this come from fatigue or nervousness and are a sign or serious nerve fluctuations. I wouldnt call it bad because my right eye did this a few hours ago.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.