/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of 'Celibate' Marriage

Ibn Abi Ahmed
12-22-2006, 11:15 PM
:sl:

This is a post by Shaykh Yaser Birjas from AlMaghrib Forums explaining Celibate Marriage:

I guess people are getting confused over the meaning and the concept of celibate marriage.

The concept itself is not new in Shari'ah. It's even there in the Qur'an. What is new to many people is the title that it has been given "Celibate Marriage".
How marriage can be celibate?

The main purpose of marriage for most people is to allow the couple to enjoy the person of one another i.e. conjugal rights. But what if the couples were young, were not ready financially, didn't want to lose the opportunity of being together or as it is now in modern life hang out with each other on campus or even off campus without a mahram?

Celibate marriage is a legal marriage which makes the two contracting parties husband and wife. It is the first step of initiating a marriage contract.
All marriages start with a celibate marriage for a certain period of time. One week, two weeks and even months or years…that's what they call it Katbul Kitab (The Establishment of the marriage contract) and some call it engagement period.

During this engagement they are legally married before Allah, Islamic law and before the people as well. It’s not just the type of engagement understood from the English word which means the promise of marriage.
Because of this all the rulings and integrals of marriage contract are to be observed like any other contract.

The difference now is in the consequences of this form. During the Katbul Kitab (engagement) period they have a choice to consummate the marriage soon afterwards or stall that util more convenient time.
If they choose to consummate the marriage i.e. the actual intercourse which all Fuqha' agree on they will be entitled for their rights and commanded to observe their responsibilities.
Rights like housing, providing, living together, obedience of the husband, as well as the Mahr.

If they chose to wait and not consummate the marriage contract i.e. stay under the roof of their own parents, they are still legally a husband and wife but the rights and obligations are still limited until the consummation takes place.
The all the contracting parties are responsible to agree on this and to set a reasonable time for the consummation time i.e. the wedding party.

In the case of celibate marriage the husband is not yet responsible for housing, finances, and so on and her obedience is still to her father in most of her affairs. However, they are still allowed to be together.

In case they choose to consummate the marriage i.e. have an actual intimate relation (intercourse) even without the knowledge of their guardians the celibate marriage is over and the wali has the right to force him to provide for his wife.
What they did of consummating the marriage was not haram, it just changes the status of marriage and the set of rights and obligations.
In this case the husband has no right to keep her in her family's house and then demand obedience. Unless her wali accepts to keep it for a longer time.

Celibate marriage is widely practiced in Muslim countries where the young couple engage (Katbil Kitab) but they don't consummate the marriage until they prepare everything and feel ready to bear the responsibility of marriage.
It’s nothing new in Shari'ah or Fiqh.

Here are the two ayat in the Qur'an regarding a case of marriage that was not consummated (remained celibate) and ended with divorce:
Abaqara 237:
[237] And if ye divorce them before consummation, but after the fixation of a dower for them, then the half of the dower (is due to them), unless they remit it or (the man's half) is remitted by him in whose hands is the marriage tie; and the remission (of the man's half) is the nearest to righteousness and do not forget liberality between yourselves. For Allah sees well all that ye do.

AlAhzaab 49:
[49] O ye who believe! when ye marry believing women, and then divorce them before ye have touched them, no period of 'Iddat have ye to count in respect of them: so give them a present, and set them free in a handsome manner.
(and 'touched them' by the consensus of the Fuqaha means the actual intercourse as an undisputable act of consummation)

From these Ayat we understand that the couple is not yet entitled to their rights and obligations in full terms until they consummate the marriage.

As for inheritance in case of death the two contracting parties become eligible for full right in inheritance at the time of the contract not the consummation of marriage.

Delaying the consummation of marriage from the time it was contracted makes the marriage celibate as long as they all agree on it especially the wali of the bride.
Consummating it quickly is more preferable.

And Allah knows the best.
http://forums.almaghrib.org/showpost...9&postcount=17

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
12-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Wow that was interesting. Jazakallah khayr.

Snowflake
12-23-2006, 02:20 PM
SubhanAllah how easy is Islam! :)

JazakAllah khair for the article.

- Qatada -
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM
:salamext:

Maasha'Allaah thats kool.. that way the couple can hang out instead of being blameworthy of going out with a non mahram init.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
habiibti
12-29-2006, 05:46 PM
That is news to me.i didnt know such a thing existed.makes me wonder what other stuff dont i know?

jazakallah kheyr bro.

Umar001
01-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Am totally baffled at the wisdom behind this but Alhamdulilah am sure there is something.

Malaikah
01-01-2007, 09:19 AM

^Do you mean you don't understand it? lol I don't know how anyone can not see the wisdom! :D It allows a couple to get 'married' without really being married, which is an advantage for example if both of them are studied and can't afford to have their own and all the responsibilities of marriage. This was they can avoid falling into haram without the burden of a full marriages.

It also means the couple can be alone together without a mahram and can get to know each other before they have to move in together- all in halal ways.

lolwatever
01-12-2007, 10:34 AM
jazaks ansari :D
:w:

taheera
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Jazak Allahu khaira thank you so much its realy made me think .

Skillganon
01-12-2007, 10:48 AM
What I don't understand is why this is not mentioned else where. Can someone ask a about this on website: "Islam-qa" and "IslamToday.com" ?

lolwatever
01-12-2007, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
What I don't understand is why this is not mentioned else where. Can you check this out on site: "Islam-qa" and "IslamToday.com" ?
salamz bro

the question is, is there anything in shariah that states that the couple have to move out as soon as they're married? Das pretty much point of this thraed...

exept that it further states that the roles are assigned only when its consummated...

tc :w: :D

Skillganon
01-12-2007, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
salamz bro

the question is, is there anything in shariah that states that the couple have to move out as soon as they're married? Das pretty much point of this thraed...

exept that it further states that the roles are assigned only when its consummated...

tc :w: :D
Bro just to double check, It is good to check it over, or cross-reference if something that one is ignorant about before.

Malaikah
01-12-2007, 10:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
What I don't understand is why this is not mentioned else where. Can someone ask a about this on website: "Islam-qa" and "IslamToday.com" ?

It is, they just don't give it an actual name. Here is one example:

Is it makrooh to leave a long interval between the marriage contract and consummation of the marriage?

Question:
Is it makrooh to leave a long interval between the marriage contract and consummation of the marriage?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him, who answered as follows:

It is not makrooh, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concluded the marriage contract with ‘Aa’ishah when she was six years old, and consummated the marriage with her when she was nine. The prospective husband may do that sometimes because he is keen to get married and is afraid that the woman or her family may change their minds, so he hastens to conclude the marriage contract. There is nothing wrong with that from the point of view of sharee’ah, but I think that the marriage contract should be concluded at the same time as the marriage is to be consummated, or shortly before, because that helps to avoid problems that may arise, such as differences that lead to divorce, or death of one of the spouses, etc… And Allaah is the source of strength.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=10048&ln=eng

lolwatever
01-12-2007, 10:54 AM
^^lol bro actually islam-qa mention this alot... when they talk about that secret marriage sorta thing... when the boys parents dont know... obviously that's an application of this.

salams

taheera
01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
I will look into this but i have heard something along the same lines alhamdulillah its right

Snowflake
01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
actually thinking about it, celibate marriages have been happening in Pakistan for a long time.. I just didn't realise they were allowed.

Loads of people have the nikah and the girl/boy stay with their parents until the parents send the girl off for good 'rukhsati'.

Funnily enough. there was a girl/guy who had a celibate marriage and their parents were delaying the 'send off'. The couple got so fed up of waiting the girl just ran away to the boy's house ;D

unfortunately there's a lot of ignorance around and individuals can be punished if they take the matter into their own hands. Yes, you got it.. it's called 'dishonouring the family'. :heated:

Skillganon
01-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Thank's sis malaika and bro whatever and everyone else. I guess I hardly concern myslf of learning marriage related stuff, only the basic.

Al-Zaara
01-23-2007, 07:10 AM

Masha'Allah, great article brother Al Madani.

BarakAllahu feek!

Mawaddah
03-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Whilst in Yemen I saw a lot of people practising this, usually when a couple gets married really really young, Like the boy is 15 and the girl is 12...I think it's a really good idea actually.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-21-2007, 09:09 PM

^ That would be great. The problem is many people don't know about this, and if you were to introduce it to them theyll think you're making stuff up or something...which becomes quite a dilemma for us living in the West imsad

nevesirth
03-28-2007, 10:34 PM
im learning alot from this forum. celibate marriage?
subhanallah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Wow, thats news to me! I like the idea :D :D lol..

Salaamz

Khaldun
11-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I think this type of marriage makes more sense to a girl then to a boy.

Marriage for a sister means to have someone to talk to an intimate friend to share everything with. For brothers it means...more.

noorseeker
11-07-2009, 09:05 PM
ive never come across this before, in all the lectures i heard

talib251
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
when one decides to marry, why would he/she choose to do so without being in contact intimately..this is kind of stupid..any sane person i know would not be able to control the physical urge and wait..especially when it is halal to be intimate

hissa
01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't get why so many people are so surprised by this.
Arab people ALWAYS do this. The ktab alkitab (the nikah) is done when the couple agree on marriage. But the girl goes back to her parents house and same with the boy. Socially, they don't even refer to themselves as married, just engaged, but are fully aware that they are married Islamically. Having doing it this way, then the couple can get to know each other in a halal manner. Kinda like dating, but by no means, in a haram fashion.
After a couple of months or years (hardly this long though) they have the wedding reception and THEN they are "offically" married.

Cabdullahi
01-01-2010, 09:39 PM
the celibate bit is hard to swallow but inshallah khair

Ummu Sufyaan
01-02-2010, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by hissa
I don't get why so many people are so surprised by this.
Arab people ALWAYS do this. The ktab alkitab (the nikah) is done when the couple agree on marriage. But the girl goes back to her parents house and same with the boy. Socially, they don't even refer to themselves as married, just engaged, but are fully aware that they are married Islamically. Having doing it this way, then the couple can get to know each other in a halal manner. Kinda like dating, but by no means, in a haram fashion.
After a couple of months or years (hardly this long though) they have the wedding reception and THEN they are "offically" married.
hmm...
by nikah, you mean Islamic nikah or the weird "faati7ah tradition" that alot do thinking they are Islamically married and have the the license to go out together and all the rest of it :hmm:

hissa
01-02-2010, 04:08 AM
The fatiha is not weird. Why is that weird? That's what how engagement is done in Islam. You read surat al fatiha and then you're engaged. But ONLY engaged. The couple are still not maharam to each other.
Usually the fatiha is done at the same time as the nikah. So it's engagement and marriage at the same time. There is no engagement period before nikah. Of course this does happen, but usually Arabs do it all at the same time. But even though the nikha is done, they still don't consider themselves officially married until the reception which happens at a later time. But of course they are Islamically married and are halal for each other. And why is being celibate during this period hard? The couple doesn't live with each other, and the parents are usually still strict about how and where the couple meets.

I honestly don't understand why this is so difficult for so many people accept as permissable. There is nothing haram about it.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-02-2010, 04:49 AM
^ ooo i made a mistake :embarrass sorry, i got mixed up. the recitation of the faatitah is to say that such and such girl is for such and such guy (yh, as you said, engagement :embarrass).

i wasnt saying the faatiah is weird, just reciting it at engagements and making it sound like its apart of Islam is. it actually isnt :)
It should also be noted that reciting al-Faatihah at the time of engagement or marriage is not mentioned in the Sunnah.

The standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas was asked: Is reciting al-Faatihah when a man proposes marriage to a woman an innovation (bid’ah)?

They replied:

Reciting al-Faatihah when a man proposes marriage to a woman or when doing the marriage contract with her is an innovation. End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (19/146)

See: al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (10/124-127); al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (19/191).
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/89582

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.