/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Bishop: Ban Veil

England
12-24-2006, 01:34 PM
THE Church of England's only Asian bishop last night called for Muslim women to be banned from the wearing the veil in public.

The Rt Rev Michael Nazir-Ali, Bishop of Rochester, urged the Government to change the law.

The Pakistani-born bishop said: "It is fine if they want to wear the veil in private, but there are occasions in public life when it is inappropriate for them to wear it.

His comments come days after it was revealed that Mustaf Jama, the Somali gunman suspected of murdering WPC Sharon Beshenivsky, is believed to have fled the country wearing a veil.

"Given that we are facing an unprecedented security situation, legislation needs to be introduced that allows officials to remove the veil," he added.

Bishop Nazir-Ali said legislation should not just cover airports, but all areas of transport where identity needs to be established.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
12-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Muslim Bishop? LOL sorry but there are no Bishops in Islam.

The Bishop Is not Muslim. He is a Bishop in the Church of England, which is the Anglican denomination of Christianity.

England
12-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Exactly what I thought. It's the Sunday Mirror's headline not mine. What I do think it's saying is that he used to be muslim. I remember hearing about a former muslim working for the Church Of England.

Woodrow
12-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Reading that he was born in Pakistan. I would assume at one time he was Muslim and now that he is a Christian Bishop. He would be an apostate. Being an Apostate he would be against everything Islamic.

He has cast himself out of the fold of the Ummah and will seek to do what he can to destroy our beliefs.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
12-24-2006, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
Exactly what I thought. It's the Sunday Mirror's headline not mine. What I do think it's saying is that he used to be muslim. I remember hearing about a former muslim working for the Church Of England.
:sl:
His father used to be Muslim, not him.

There is no point in wearing the veil if you can only wear it in private. I think that, as somebody else here said, veiled women should be allowed a female inspector at airports and other important places where identification is necessary, who will make sure that they are really who they are.
:w:

Snowflake
12-24-2006, 03:53 PM
why would anyone wear a veil in private? LOL!

As for paki bishop,.... there's lots of paki christians in Pakistan.

Fishman
12-24-2006, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
As for paki bishop,.... there's lots of paki christians in Pakistan.
His father was an apostate, according to Islam Online's article they had about him a few weeks ago. He's not the nicest of people...

Bittersteel
12-24-2006, 05:47 PM
yep,his statements should help you understand why apostates were killed by Muslims.this talk about has been going on about months.
so what has happened now?full ban of veil?
does it include ban of hijab and all Islamic symbols?
you know I felt sorry for Christians when they said Christmas spirit was low...now reading this I think Christmas should be banned in Bangladesh.

Abdul Fattah
12-24-2006, 05:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Emir Aziz
yep,his statements should help you understand why apostates were killed by Muslims.this talk about has been going on about months.
so what has happened now?full ban of veil?
does it include ban of hijab and all Islamic symbols?
you know I felt sorry for Christians when they said Christmas spirit was low...now reading this I think Christmas should be banned in Bangladesh.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because some people do bad things elsewhere is no justification for similar bad things at your place.
Remember that some Christians or atheist might be compelled to argue:
If we go live in certain middle eastern country's we'll be forced to wear the veil there (if not by law then by social pressure); so it should be alright for us to ban the veil here.
Of course that logic is flawed. An eye for an eye and the whole world will go blind.

rubiesand
12-24-2006, 06:07 PM
'Muslim Bishop' That's a good one! :giggling:

Bittersteel
12-24-2006, 06:13 PM
steve I feel threatened,okay?
and the last thing I want is all those negative Islamic prophecies coming true while I am in this world.maybe not a ban on Christmas perhaps.just the thing that only Christians will be allowed to take the day off.

Skillganon
12-24-2006, 06:23 PM
THe headline is very misleading. Why not say a christian bishop is calling a ban of the veil. LOL. I ams sure he does not represent all the christians.

strider
12-24-2006, 07:54 PM
It's a shame some people still think, at least in Britain, that Pakistani=Muslim.

Muslim Bishop. What an oxymoron.

The Ruler
12-24-2006, 08:01 PM

when i read the title i was thinking WOE??...i mean what right does a christian bishop have to ban muslim women wearing veils?...and sunnday's mirror you say?...tut tut...what nice newspaper!

Peace

rubiesand
12-24-2006, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
It's the Sunday Mirror's headline not mine.

England, could you please provide a link to the story that you have quoted, and perferably one where we can see for ourselves if they really used that nonsensical headline. Thanks.

al_faaris574
12-24-2006, 08:08 PM

I searched around and found the source:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/t...name_page.html

Abu Zakariya
12-24-2006, 08:10 PM
The amount of ignorance displayed in that article... It's really becoming silly.
Not only is he called a Muslim bishop, the guy says that women can wear the veil in private, which shows that he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about (Muslim women don't even wear it in private, the whole idea behind the veil is to wear it in front of strange men).
It's as if this was satire and not an actual article.

By the way, where are the feminists now? When some Muslim says that he would like women to cover up, it becomes frontpage news and Muslims are accused of wanting to change the Western ideals and force Sharia on the West, but when middle aged, rich, white men (like in the case of Jack Straw) says that he would like Muslim women to take of clothes they've chosen to wear and show him their bodies... Where are they?

Hipocrisy.

Fishman
12-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Until I saw the original article I thought the title was simply because the person who posted the topic was being ignorant...

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-24-2006, 08:37 PM
There always has to be some idiot who tries to gain the limelight every few weeks by unecessarily attacking the muslim's way of life.

I wonder what the next newspaper heading will be?? 'Christian Imam: Ban the beard to help integration within the community.'

netprince
12-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Muslim Bishop!!!!

Why do people assume pakistani = muslim

Pakistan is something like 80% muslim with the remainder being a mixture of hindu,sikh, christian and others

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-24-2006, 09:03 PM
LOL! i was confuzzled reading that title. well it sure did attract my attention.
Lol that guy is a sucha fruitcake. Having the audacity to talk about the veil when he doesnt even know what its for! He tops my stupid people list and i dont even have one lol. Do u see a Muslim revert bashing Christianity? nope.

rubiesand
12-24-2006, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_faaris
I searched around and found the source:
Thanks brother.

Fishman
12-24-2006, 10:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Do u see a Muslim revert bashing Christianity? nope.
I have seen plenty of reverts criticising Christianity, some in fact bashing it, but none of them I've heard from have tried to tell Christians how to practice their religion like this Bishop does.

Goku
12-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Didnt the newspaper stop and think "Hold on, why would there be a Muslim bishop? We'd better check to see if this person is Muslim"

And yes that silly Bishop displays ignorance, he doesnt know what the veil is for, it seems his attack was a ignorant one at Islam.

And this same biship wanted the West to remember its "Christan past" (the one from the dark ages) hinting he wanted to see Christian theocracy rise again......

Women should be allowed to wear what they want. If a security issue comes up, a female security officer can check a veiled women for identity. This bishop's statement is best left ignored.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-24-2006, 10:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I have seen plenty of reverts criticising Christianity, some in fact bashing it, but none of them I've heard from have tried to tell Christians how to practice their religion like this Bishop does.
thats what i meant bro.

Abu Zakariya
12-24-2006, 11:07 PM
It's not only a case of him telling Muslims how to practice their religion, he clearly wants to restrict women's freedom.

Umar001
12-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Assalamu Aleykum,

Wait, I am confused, he has said that in situations where identity needs to be established then the veil should be removed, I don't see why Muslims disagree.

Eesa.

Abu Zakariya
12-24-2006, 11:14 PM
If that is the case, then the headline is wrong in more than one way since it says that he wants to ban the veil.

Al_Imaan
12-24-2006, 11:24 PM
y r they always doing this to muslims?...how would they feel if a muslim government bans christians, jews, etc. from symbolizing their religion?

Umar001
12-24-2006, 11:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya
If that is the case, then the headline is wrong in more than one way since it says that he wants to ban the veil.
Assalamu Aleykum Brother,

No, it could be that he means ban the veil in certain circumstance, for example, obeying your mum is halal, but if she tells u to do haram then it is haram for you to obey her, so if someone said Ban The Obeing of Mothers, that would seem wrong, but we would have to look at the context.

Its a pretty rubbish example but, similarly, banning the veil would be wrong, but in the context of banning it in circumstances where indentity needs to be established then I see no problem.

Abu Zakariya
12-24-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm not a native English speaker, so I guess your right bro. At least it's a bit misleading, don't you agree?

Umar001
12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya
I'm not a native English speaker, so I guess your right bro. At least it's a bit misleading, don't you agree?
Assalamu Aleykum,

I think it's totally misleading akhi :) Alot of the news headlines are.

Bittersteel
12-25-2006, 04:52 AM
I think Saudi Arabia is the smartest of all Muslim nations.restricitng the practice of Christians.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-25-2006, 04:53 AM
why is that smart bro? Islamically, we cant restrict a person of another faith from practicing their religion.

Malaikah
12-25-2006, 05:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Its a pretty rubbish example but, similarly, banning the veil would be wrong, but in the context of banning it in circumstances where indentity needs to be established then I see no problem.

He said ban it in public places and wear it only in private. Nothing to do with only places that need ID.

Anyway, at the airport they can check you out once at the appropriate time, what's the point of banning it in the whole airport!?

Don't there people ever get bored of making the same request over and over again, I mean, we heard you the first time it made headlines. :rollseyes

format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
why is that smart bro? Islamically, we cant restrict a person of another faith from practicing their religion.
Are you sure? I thought they have the right to practise their religion only in private?:?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
12-25-2006, 05:25 AM
^^ isnt he referring to practicing in general :? cuz thats what i answered:X
You tell me sis >.<

Bittersteel
12-25-2006, 06:50 AM
why is that smart bro?
it stops Christians bossing you around.stops you from controlling you and taking over Muslim lands.
I have stopped trusting Christians now.they seem to be more and more intolerant of Muslim practices.filthy hypocrites.they have a lot of puppets in Bangladesh too.that's why I am so worried.they are using the liberal secularists to get more and more power in Bangladesh.heck if Islamic fundamentalism(a phrase that contains more inaccuracies than a book does) or terrorism existed in Bangladesh they wouldn't have survived.stupid people.

y r they always doing this to muslims?...how would they feel if a muslim government bans christians, jews, etc. from symbolizing their religion?
OMG OMG VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!lol just like I said they are all a bunch of hypocrites.

Skillganon
12-25-2006, 06:57 AM
it stops Christians bossing you around.stops you from controlling you and taking over Muslim lands.
I have stopped trusting Christians now.they seem to be more and more intolerant of Muslim practices.filthy hypocrites.they have a lot of puppets in Bangladesh too.that's why I am so worried.they are using the liberal secularists to get more and more power in Bangladesh.heck if Islamic fundamentalism(a phrase that contains more inaccuracies than a book does) or terrorism existed in Bangladesh they wouldn't have survived.stupid people.

OMG OMG VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!lol just like I said they are all a bunch of hypocrites.
Let's no generalise it to christians perse. You will find those people from muslims. Hence muslim secularists in bangladesh.

England
12-25-2006, 12:13 PM
Here's a better link to the article. This is from Sky News, an unbiased broadcaster.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559288,00.html

justahumane
12-25-2006, 12:53 PM
I think Saudi Arabia is the smartest of all Muslim nations.restricitng the practice of Christians.
U r partially right brother.....In fact S. Arabia is only muslim/islamic nation in the world today......rest are all kufr regiems, who chose to abandon laws of ALLAH and have replaced them with their own man-made laws.

And ALLAH knows best.

Bittersteel
12-25-2006, 01:10 PM
yes...I have lived under secular laws and the only secular laws I like are freedom of expression and and freedom of religion.nothing else.
so they are banning the veil?with it are they going to ban hijab,shalwar kameez,etc.?

Fishman
12-25-2006, 07:35 PM
so they are banning the veil?with it are they going to ban hijab,shalwar kameez,etc.?
They aren't actually banning the veil, it's just this Bishop that want's it banned. And there is no good reason to ban the Hijab or shalwar kameez, other than intolerance. In a multicultural society like Britain, everybody has the right to follow whatever culture they want to, as long as it is not impossible practically or is not illegal.

Umar001
12-25-2006, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

He said ban it in public places and wear it only in private. Nothing to do with only places that need ID.

Anyway, at the airport they can check you out once at the appropriate time, what's the point of banning it in the whole airport!?

Don't there people ever get bored of making the same request over and over again, I mean, we heard you the first time it made headlines. :rollseyes

Wa Aleykum Salam Sister,

Quoting from Here,
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-13559288,00.html

"But there are occasions in public life when it is inappropriate for them to wear it."

AvarAllahNoor
12-26-2006, 12:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by netprince
Muslim Bishop!!!!

Why do people assume pakistani = muslim

Pakistan is something like 80% muslim with the remainder being a mixture of hindu,sikh, christian and others
Maybe he observes two faiths! :rollseyes - And sunday newspapaer is hardly in the same league as The Times!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.