/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Boxing day-why?

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 11:22 AM
26th december is known as boxing day. why?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Nobody is quite sure. One theory is that it refers to boxes left in churches for charitable donations, which were opened up on that day.

Malaikah
12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
:sl:

This confuses me also... :?

My brothers theory was that people put their Christmas gifts back in the boxes and return them to the shops for exchange for something better.:giggling:

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 11:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

This confuses me also... :?

My brothers theory was that people put their Christmas gifts back in the boxes and return them to the shops for exchange for something better.:giggling:
he may have a point!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
12-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi Warabarakathuhu
boxing day because everyone does boxing :p humm i got an article inshallah once i found it will post it inshallah :)
Ma'assalama

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 11:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
boxing day because everyone does boxing :p humm i got an article inshallah once i found it will post it inshallah :)
Ma'assalama
what? over the good presents?:D

Kittygyal
12-26-2006, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH
what? over the good presents?:D

Ukthi Pardon?

anywho onc e i find my book i have it somehwere but gotcha find it grr inshallah i will try && find it && tell you it's about boxing why it's on a certain day inshallah i'll try my best finding it okay :)
Ma'assalama

Woodrow
12-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Snopes.com has a very interesting and lengthy article about. About the only agreement is it is a British Tradition.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/boxing.asp

England
12-26-2006, 12:40 PM
The holiday Boxing Day may get it's name from the 19th century English custom of giving Christmas boxes containing food or money to family servants and suppliers, the day after Christmas.
Another possibility is Boxing Day may have come from the opening of church poor boxes that day.

The most basic understanding is that gifts, or boxes, were given to those who were less fortunate, on the day after Christmas, while gifts to those with equal standing were given on Christmas day.

It is also known as, the Feast of St. Stephen, or St. Stephen's Day - the first Christian martyr.

It is most often celebrated in Australia, Britain, New Zealand, and Canada on December 26.

Although it is a statutory holiday in these countries it is not celebrated as such. Most countries host Boxing Day sales on that day which have little or nothing to do with the holiday at all.

Malaikah
12-26-2006, 12:48 PM
^Yeh actually the sales are the only thing I know about boxing day.

So, boxing day is some kind innovated Christian day with an uncertain history?:?

Woodrow
12-26-2006, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
^Yeh actually the sales are the only thing I know about boxing day.

So, boxing day is some kind innovated Christian day with an uncertain history?:?
That is what it is.

AtTiYa
12-26-2006, 01:13 PM
i thort it was wen u box things u dnt need and giv dem 2 charity and things..:)

AtTiYa
12-26-2006, 01:14 PM
but the sales hav strted aswell hus going?

Woodrow
12-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Here in the US I would not go out shopping today if somebody tried to force me at gun point.

The day after Christmas is traditionaly the most crowded shopping day of the year. However it is also one of the lowest profit days as the majority of the business is exchanges and returns.

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Okay, thanks for the posts, I have a fair idea of why its called what it is. It will help me have a decent conversation with people I don't know so well but need to make small talk with to avoid the aukward silence!

It could go sommat like: So did you go to the boxing day sales? (talk about sales for a bit.......) you know it's funny how boxing day got it's name......(you know the rest)
And hopefully by that time I could quickly get out of there!

AtTiYa
12-26-2006, 01:33 PM
here in england on boxing day evry1 goes shoppin cz prices r so cheap

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AtTiYa
lol no no no noo!!!! hehehe it strted at 5am for next..ppl r crazyy..i aint gon cz i didnt reali need anything y waste xtra money innit..:)
Once I was listening to the radio. it was about people that had slept outside Next getting interviewed. one guy was asked what was the best bargin he'd got. He said it was a coat for his daughter that had been reduced to £30.

That is so not worth sleeping on the pavement for!!!

AtTiYa
12-26-2006, 02:17 PM
yh exactly ppl go mental over stupid things..u can get a coat cheaper than that on a nrmal day..was that person asian?? and it was 4 his daughter wah a idiot..!!!

lol after christmas theres all christians in town n afta there'll b all asians hehe we go afta the sales.. :P

England
12-26-2006, 02:19 PM
yh exactly ppl go mental over stupid things..u can get a coat cheaper than that on a nrmal day..was that person asian?? and it was 4 his daughter wah a idiot..!!!

lol b4 christmas theres all christians in town n afta there'll b all asians hehe we go afta the sales.. :P
The sales run through January, hence "The January Sales"

AtTiYa
12-26-2006, 02:21 PM
nope am tlkin bout christmas sales they strt from 2dai 26th december

England
12-26-2006, 02:28 PM
nope am tlkin bout christmas sales they strt from 2dai 26th december
Then you have the January sales 4 days later :) Could do the Christmas shopping for next Christmas before the January sales end :eek:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.