/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lions being kept as pets in Britain

England
12-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Twelve lions, 14 tigers and 50 leopards are being kept as pets in Britain, researchers have revealed.

A study into big cats shows that 154 assorted non-domestic felines are owned privately.

The figures have been obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

There are also almost 500 assorted monkeys and 2,000 ostriches in private ownership as well as more than 250 poisonous snakes and 50 members of the crocodile family.

The research has also revealed that more than 300 American Bison are grazing in our countryside - as well as more than 6,000 wild boar.

The Big Cats in Britain (BCIB) research group said it approached 408 local authorities to discover how many of the wild animals were being kept by licensed private keepers.

The figures do not include zoo animals.

Under the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976, private owners of all animals that are legally deemed to be dangerous are required to annually buy a licence from their local authority.

The authority inspects the owner's premises, setting standards and confirming that the owner carries third party liability insurance for the animal.

Scientific adviser to the BCIB Chris Moiser said it was a "pleasant surprise" to see how many people went to such lengths to keep their animals properly and lawfully.

Mark Fraser, founder of the BCIB Research Group, said: "It is not the responsible legal owners that 'lose' their animals, but those that are kept illegally with ill regard and little thought to their welfare.

"More and more exotic animals are being seen in the British countryside today, making it an interesting place to be.

"In December of 2006 the Dangerous Wild Animals Act was introduced in Northern Ireland, and it will be interesting to see what effect this has."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/...559369,00.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
12-27-2006, 12:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
confirming that the owner carries third party liability insurance for the animal.
Very reassuring to whoever is getting their arm sewed back on, I'm sure!

Amazed this is legal.

FollowingAlhuda
12-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Sick

Kittygyal
12-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I Love Lionssssssssssss

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
12-27-2006, 12:48 PM
What if these escape and then breed? *Gulp*

P.s. Moderator. Please don't delete this post.

Woodrow
12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
They must have picked that up from the US. Many people here have "Exotics" as pets. Actually lions in England have been kept as pets since the days of Roman Rule.

chacha_jalebi
12-27-2006, 12:54 PM
ive always wanted to have a lion:D

i think as long as they look afta the animals properly :D then woo hoo:p and lions are faithful, they mite hurt you while playin, but they wont try eatin you or anytin :p :D:D:D

Woodrow
12-27-2006, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
ive always wanted to have a lion:D

i think as long as they look afta the animals properly :D then woo hoo:p and lions are faithful, they mite hurt you while playin, but they wont try eatin you or anytin :p :D:D:D
Of the large Cats lions are the most docile. Anyone who has ever traveled in South Africa will tell you how little the people there have any need to fear them. yes, it is wise to give them their space, but they are not aggressive and it is rare for one to attack a human.

The people herding cattle will often walk right up to them. However, they are aware of the behavior of lions and know if a lion is relaxed and resting and reasonably safe, or if it is agitated or in a hunting mood and dangerous.

Kittygyal
12-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Asslamualikum Warhmathullahi Warbarakathuhu

barbary lion is the biggest && very dangerous

Ma'assalama

Woodrow
12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Asslamualikum Warhmathullahi Warbarakathuhu

barbary lion is the biggest && very dangerous

Ma'assalama
:w:

Also the most extinct. I don't think a lion has been seen in Morocco or the Atlas mountain region for over 200 years. Although I did see some Cheetahs there.

There had been lions throughout Europe until the Roman conquests. If I recall the capturing of the European lions for sporting purposes brought about their extinction.

Takumi
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
They must have picked that up from the US. Many people here have "Exotics" as pets. Actually lions in England have been kept as pets since the days of Roman Rule.
and we know what happens next. Their owners get tired of them or just don't have the money to maintain their care and those animals end up in "Exotic Animals Retreat" like Arbucke Wilderness Park or Tiger Safari .

I went to one in Branson, Missouri. The tour in the park is exhilirating and I was only a few feet away from a male lion, separated by a 15 feet or so wired fence. It was one of the most beautiful sights I've seen but I can't help from feeling sad at the same time.

I found out that many exotic cats are de-clawed hence they can't return to the wild. They are being fed, just like the other cats.

I wish people would stop taking them as pets and let them live in the wild where Allah has created for them.

Woodrow
12-27-2006, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
and we know what happens next. Their owners get tired of them or just don't have the money to maintain their care and those animals end up in "Exotic Animals Retreat" like Arbucke Wilderness Park or Tiger Safari .

I went to one in Branson, Missouri. The tour in the park is exhilirating and I was only a few feet away from a male lion, separated by a 15 feet or so wired fence. It was one of the most beautiful sights I've seen but I can't help from feeling sad at the same time.

I found out that many exotic cats are de-clawed hence they can't return to the wild. They are being fed, just like the other cats.

I wish people would stop taking them as pets and let them live in the wild where Allah has created for them.
Quite true. That is the sad reality of many of them. People do not think that a 10 pound lion cub is going to grow into a 400 pound meat eater that will eat the equivelant of a cow every 2 weeks.

We do have a big problem in Texas with people just turning them loose. There are now several flocks of Ostriches raming the desert in West Texas. I know of several areas were African lions have been seen. When I lived up in Oak Wood Texas there was a lion that roamed the Trinity River behind md for several years.

I have known people here having Elephants, Rhinos, Lions, tigers, Cheetahs and just about anything you can think of. Sadly most of them meet very sad fates. Wild animals belong wild and never should be pets.

Tania
12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
I agree the wild life should not keep as pets. They have requirments which a normal family can't fulfill it. They need large spaces to run, tress and so on. Also, they have a long life and many times the people get bored by them.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
i want a tiger as a pet :-\ Omdayz, wer do i get it from.. :D

Tania
12-27-2006, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MusLiM 4 LiFe
i want a tiger as a pet :-\ Omdayz, wer do i get it from.. :D
Just think the tiger needs a family too, needs to breed, to hunt, run ...how you will ensure him to have a normal wild life:? We can't be selfish . He has a life too.

MusLiM 4 LiFe
12-27-2006, 03:37 PM
he'l b wid his family, il juz own him :D lol

Sweetness
12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't think it would be a good idea to make any sudden moves in that house.:scared:

behlu-gahlu
12-28-2006, 02:24 AM
sirahm

we have all coem from the wilderneess ity has been said, the lions should be left there.

Tania
12-28-2006, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by behlu-gahlu
the only reason to have a lion in the house is if it comes into the house
He will eat your guests:? :)

England
12-28-2006, 10:33 AM
A lion would be a great deterrent for burglars and if you have any enemies just take a walk to their house with your lion:D
Dogs used to be wild once, we probably wouldn't have dreamt of having one for a pet but look at them now :) A man's best friend.

Tania
12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
A lion would be a great deterrent for burglars and if you have any enemies just take a walk to their house with your lion:D
Dogs used to be wild once, we probably wouldn't have dreamt of having one for a pet but look at them now :) A man's best friend.
Yes but are big differences between dogs and lions. And we should not forget if you can walk with your dogs and leave him free in the park, you can't do the same with the lion. So you must have 10 ha of land at least and a big budget to give him that cow/2 weeks:)

England
12-28-2006, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
Yes but are big differences between dogs and lions. And we should not forget if you can walk with your dogs and leave him free in the park, you can't do the same with the lion. So you must have 10 ha of land at least and a big budget to give him that cow/2 weeks:)

At one time you couldn't leave your dog free in the park because they too were wild. It's a case of training them to be pets. I'm not saying we should have them as pets because we shouldn't but I myself would find it very cool to have one :) Imagine telling your mates "I've got a pet lion" or "I'll set my lion onto you :enough!:"
I don't like monkeys, I find them annoying.

aby5y
12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
lehh...Thats crazy people keeping them as pets...lol..I wouldnt mind a pet tiger though....

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aby5y
lehh...Thats crazy people keeping them as pets...lol..I wouldnt mind a pet tiger though....
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu
how is it crazy dude? lions are best && very nice but at same time dangerous
Ma'assalama

FBI
12-28-2006, 01:43 PM
:sl:

May I remind everyone what happened to Steve Irwin, these are wild animals stay clear, or you'll end up dead or seriously injured.

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI
:sl:

May I remind everyone what happened to Steve Irwin, these are wild animals stay clear, or you'll end up dead or seriously injured.
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi Warbarakathuhu
but...but...but...:omg:

what if you like brining them home in a cage :enough!:

Ma'assalama

England
12-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi Warbarakathuhu
but...but...but...:omg:

what if you like brining them home in a cage :enough!:

Ma'assalama
Keeping them in a cage would be cruel lol :skeleton:

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Keeping them in a cage would be cruel lol :skeleton:
but...but...but :raging:

better than nothing init dude :p

humm well lets get this right, what about in thy zoo they keep them in a cage :skeleton:

anywho i wouldn't bring one in my house the lion will go for my cats, puppies,&& parrot it will be hectic :phew

England
12-28-2006, 02:06 PM
but...but...but :raging:

better than nothing init dude :p

humm well lets get this right, what about in thy zoo they keep them in a cage :skeleton:

anywho i wouldn't bring one in my house the lion will go for my cats, puppies,&& parrot it will be hectic :phew

:eek: :eek: :eek: Not your cats!!!!!!?

Besides the cages in the zoos are HUGE.

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 02:09 PM

yesh they are my cats i have 5 cats && 1 kitten!!! MY CATS dude, i said even if i get a lion in a cage it will just go for MY cats, parrot,Puppies!!!!!

&& yesh i know its HUGE so you can get a HUGE cage :omg:

Tania
12-28-2006, 02:51 PM

I stay out from zoo's because its another way to torture the animals. I really don't believe they can be happy. The only one who made the perfect zoo's for them are the african people which made the huge national parks, where they can run, hunt free, without inside fences:)

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
I stay out from zoo's because its another way to torture the animals. I really don't believe they can be happy. The only one who made the perfect zoo's for them are the african people which made the huge national parks, where they can run, hunt free, without inside fences:)
so say "Freedom" :omg:

Tania
12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
so say "Freedom" :omg:
Why have you said that :? I still believe the african national park are big enough to leave the animals free. It was there chance to remain alive after so much hunting :(

Khawar
06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Lion is an horrible image in the mind of a person. It is interesting that in Britain it is as like small pets. But how can their management possible like pets as lion never hesitate to attack even its owner which is feeding him for a long time

Islami
07-14-2010, 01:08 PM
lions are the KING's of the jungle they can never be your pet . . . you can only caged them or they'll attack on you . . . a pet should b faithful and lions got none characteristics regarding faithfulness . . . !!!

Woodrow
07-15-2010, 10:19 AM
I shudder at the thought if some owners tire of their pets and turn them loose. This has happened here in the USA quite often. Although we do have sufficient wide open spaces for them to adapt, Lions do not belong any place except in their native homes.

The most recent problem with rleased exotics is happening in Florida.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n31977655/

An animal that is a creature of beauty in it's natural habitat is a pest and possible danger in areas it is not part of the eco-system of. People need to respect nature and not try to own it.

Muslimeen
07-16-2010, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Of the large Cats lions are the most docile. Anyone who has ever traveled in South Africa will tell you how little the people there have any need to fear them. yes, it is wise to give them their space, but they are not aggressive and it is rare for one to attack a human.

The people herding cattle will often walk right up to them. However, they are aware of the behavior of lions and know if a lion is relaxed and resting and reasonably safe, or if it is agitated or in a hunting mood and dangerous.
Let me know the next time you are in South Africa, I'll introduce you to a real LION. Natural born killers. Yes they may seem very docile especially when they are laying around with the pride, but don't let that fool you, many a tourist has been eaten alive because of this mindset. Here kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty!!:skeleton:
A family member saw a game keeper, in a private game reserve being killed right infront of his eyes by a so called "Domestic" lion. One strike with the paw was enough to send a huge chunk of flesh flying from his thigh. He was dead within seconds.

The cattle herders you are talking about are the Masai warriors, who used to kill lions to prove their manhood over generations. The lions tend to run away when they see a Masai warrior approaching from a distance. I doubt they will be backing off when Joe average walks towards them.
All a lion has to do to kill a person instantly is run into him at high speed, no scratching or biting required, just ram his body into you, he will crush every bone in your body. :scared:

PeaceSeeker
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Scary! I really dnt like the idea of having such dangerous animals as pets...subhaan Allah!

__follower
07-16-2010, 12:50 PM
very dangerous pets

~Raindrop~
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by __follower
very dangerous pets
I don't know about that, I'd love a lion. Maybe a cub to start off with. Imagine taking your (very trained) pet for a walk in the local park...
(aside from probably ending up in prison. I mean, it's probably illegal to exercise them in public lol)

__follower
07-16-2010, 01:01 PM
imagine being da victim of ur own trained pet , like the recent news of a tiger owner becoming their daily food .

~Raindrop~
07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Humph. I'm trying not to dwell on that.

__follower
07-16-2010, 01:08 PM
dangerous animals should be kept where they are suppose to be. thats what i think

Muslimeen
07-16-2010, 01:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
I don't know about that, I'd love a lion. Maybe a cub to start off with. Imagine taking your (very trained) pet for a walk in the local park...
(aside from probably ending up in prison. I mean, it's probably illegal to exercise them in public lol)
Forget about taking him for a walk, he'll probably take YOU. An untrained Rottweiler tugging on his leash is quite difficult to keep in check for the average man, this is lions we're talking about. Imagine if he feels threatened and decides to go on the 'Attack' at an overly curious chihuahua??

~Raindrop~
07-16-2010, 01:17 PM
This would be a sweet little cub. They look adorable.
A person can dream, can't they?

Muslimeen
07-16-2010, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
This would be a sweet little cub. They look adorable.
A person can dream, can't they?
Sure, dreaming is good, just make sure it does not turn out to be a nightmare.
We visited a lion park not so long ago, we were allowed to pet the cubs, they were no older than 3 months old, most of them younger, they have quite a nasty bite even at that age, and they love to bite.

Someday I'm gonna get a croc, just cos it freaks my wife out. Durban rivers still have some in the natural habitat, every now and then some innocent villager is attacked, lets hope mamma croc is far away when I catch the small bugger. They are amphibians, I don't think they take care of their young, atleast not for long.

Woodrow
07-16-2010, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimeen
Sure, dreaming is good, just make sure it does not turn out to be a nightmare.
We visited a lion park not so long ago, we were allowed to pet the cubs, they were no older than 3 months old, most of them younger, they have quite a nasty bite even at that age, and they love to bite.

Someday I'm gonna get a croc, just cos it freaks my wife out. Durban rivers still have some in the natural habitat, every now and then some innocent villager is attacked, lets hope mamma croc is far away when I catch the small bugger. They are amphibians, I don't think they take care of their young, atleast not for long.
Crocs are one of the few reptiles that watch over their young. They watch over them for about a year after hatching. Interesting critters.

http://www.crocsite.com/crocsite-art...-crocodile.htm

When I lived in Louisiana I learned very fast not to mess with any baby alligators. While gators are seldom aggressive a mom gator gets very upset if you try to catch a baby. On a side note alligators do not make good pets I suspect the same would be true for crocs.

Muslimeen
07-28-2010, 01:50 PM
People warned not to get too close to Panjo
Alex Eliseev | 6 Hours Ago

Professional animal trackers have advised the public not to get close to Panjo the tiger.
The 17-month-old Bengal tiger went missing between Delmas and Groblersdal, in Mpumalanga, on Monday night as it was being transported to the vet. There has been no sign of him since.
While the tiger’s owners said he is tame, there were concerns that he may attack people.
Animal tracker Mark Tennant said only trained professionals should be searching for Panjo.
“This tiger is going to be incredibly stressed out and hungry as well. We atleast know what to do when something does go wrong and no one should try anything if they do not have experience,” said Tennant.
Tennant said there is no instruction book on handling tigers in built-up areas.

THE SEARCH FOR PANJO

Ian Johnson, who was one of the trackers who tried to find Panjo as the sun set over Delmas, walked along dirt trails, listened to the sounds of the bush and spoke to farmers in the area. Johnson said if no harm befalls the tiger, he should be able to survive the ordeal.

“Although his metabolism is fast and he will be getting hungry, he could go three or four days without eating anything,” said Johnson.

Owner Goosey Fernandes vowed not to give up looking for his animal saying Panjo means the world to him. The search is due to resume on Wednesday morning.

Woodrow
07-30-2010, 03:03 PM
While most people are fascinated by exotics and have dreams of one day owning something like a lion, tiger, elephant etc. It is not a very good dream to fulfill. Most undomesticated animals do not belong outside their natural habitat and attempts to make them into pets all too often results in a disaster for both the animal and the person who thinks he/she owns it. Enjoy wildlife in it's habitat do not try to make it into something it is not.

Right now the Florida Everglades are having major problems with "pets" people turned loose because they could no longer handle them. Burmese Pythons and Nile Monitors hav now become acclimated and are rpoving to be a threat to the native species. Rhesus Monkeys, camels, orstiches and emus are posing mator problems in the Rio Grande Valley in the Big Bend region of Texas. These former pets are no longer cute little lovable house animals they are a major danger to the environment.

I hope the UK does not end up with the problems we are now having in the US because some people want a "cute cuddly. exotic pet"

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.