/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How is it to live in Birmingham

FollowingAlhuda
12-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Assalamo Aleikom,

My question is..

How is it for Muslims in Birmingham. I really want to move to England, but first asking arround. (Not that i have serious plans).

I will hear!

Wassalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Living in Birmingham has its good and bad points, there are many differnt communities here.

There are plenty of Muslims, Masjids, asian clothes shops, resturants etc

I like it here but things can improve...any specific things you want to know?

netprince
12-27-2006, 05:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FollowingAlhuda
Assalamo Aleikom,

My question is..

How is it for Muslims in Birmingham. I really want to move to England, but first asking arround. (Not that i have serious plans).

I will hear!

Wassalam
Birmingham does have a very sizable muslim population of varying nationalities as well as many converts. You would be able to find masjids, madrassas, bookshops and halal food outlets and all manner of 'islamic' things.

I dont actually live in birmingham but just outside so cant really comment as to how it is to live in birmingham, but i will add that as with all major cities, it has its good as well as bad points.

I believe you yourself are from the Netherlands. I also lived there for about six months and too be honest i kinda preferred it there. The natives seemed a lot friendlier, but then again i wasnt in any of the major cities so those might be different. I lived in a small town/village called something like etten-leur i think.

Kittygyal
12-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Assalmualikum Warhmathulahi Warbarakathuhu
i have my cousins (step) living in brummy, brummy is kinda same as bradford many bad points there, you get called "terriorist" everywhere!
u.s all ze way!
Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
netprince
12-27-2006, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Assalmualikum Warhmathulahi Warbarakathuhu
i have my cousins (step) living in brummy, brummy is kinda same as bradford many bad points there, you get called "terriorist" everywhere!
u.s all ze way!
Ma'assalama

Racism is a big issue wherever you are in the UK, but i dont recall ever having been called a terrorist to my face. Dont know who told you about being called terrorist everywhere in birmingham, but from my experience it isnt at all common.

Your correct in that birmingham is like bradford in a lot of ways. There are muslim 'ghettos', just as there are sikh Ghetto's and white ghetto's. I've also lived in Leicester, and it was the same thing there as well. You had Gujrati muslims areas, then you had indian hindu areas etc. Unfortunately, that again is a feature of most major cities that have immigrant populations. The immigrants arrive to the area and settle in the inner cities normally, the white populations move out (for whatever reasons) and what your left with are ghettos.

If you go to London, you will find the same thing, manchester same thing, sheffield...wherever you go its the same.

America...look at the major cities with sizable immigrant populations, you will see areas where theres mainly black african americas, latinos, asians and so on. Dont a lot of the cities have areas such as 'little italy', 'China Town' etc

This is a universal phenomenon......

Kittygyal
12-27-2006, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by netprince
Racism is a big issue wherever you are in the UK, but i dont recall ever having been called a terrorist to my face. Dont know who told you about being called terrorist everywhere in birmingham, but from my experience it isnt at all common.

Your correct in that birmingham is like bradford in a lot of ways. There are muslim 'ghettos', just as there are sikh Ghetto's and white ghetto's. I've also lived in Leicester, and it was the same thing there as well. You had Gujrati muslims areas, then you had indian hindu areas etc. Unfortunately, that again is a feature of most major cities that have immigrant populations. The immigrants arrive to the area and settle in the inner cities normally, the white populations move out (for whatever reasons) and what your left with are ghettos.

If you go to London, you will find the same thing, manchester same thing, sheffield...wherever you go its the same.

America...look at the major cities with sizable immigrant populations, you will see areas where theres mainly black african americas, latinos, asians and so on. Dont a lot of the cities have areas such as 'little italy', 'China Town' etc

This is a universal phenomenon......
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi Warbarakathuhu
well what i meant about "terriorist" is thats a bad thing everywhere people call you terriorist i mean they call you in brady, brummy, when ever they see a muslim "not" everytime but what am trying to say is thats a mojor problem, but hence there silly people && there's ONLY few who say it!
Ma'assalama

P.S BETTA GO NOW TAKE CARE DUDE

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 06:59 AM
Oke thanks for the information guys.

Netprince: etten-leur is a small town. I live in Amsterdam. We have a lot of muslims here, and a lot of muslim stores, mosques etc etc. Not a lot of racism, but it startes (the racism).

Dangerous minds: I really want to know if there are a lot of sects. I want to stay on the right manhadj offcourse (according to the salaf). I heard in Engalnd their are a lot of Jihaadies (in a bad context way) an a lot of Takfier people (who just call muslim kuffar). Could you maybe clear this out for me?

Kittygal: Thanks for the info. Do tou live their?

Wassalam

Skillganon
12-28-2006, 07:04 AM

Netprince: etten-leur is a small town. I live in Amsterdam. We have a lot of muslims here, and a lot of muslim stores, mosques etc etc. Not a lot of racism, but it startes (the racism).

Dangerous minds: I really want to know if there are a lot of sects. I want to stay on the right manhadj offcourse (according to the salaf). I heard in Engalnd their are a lot of Jihaadies (in a bad context way) an a lot of Takfier people (who just call muslim kuffar). Could you maybe clear this out for me?

Wassalam
Well I can't be sure about birmingham, but as far as I am aware their is not many takferier people or Jihadees (in bad context), in england. Their maybe lot of poor example of muslim, but you get that nearly everywhere.
Well I live in London.

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Well I can't be sure about birmingham, but as far as I am aware their is not many takferier people or Jihadees (in bad context), in england. Their maybe lot of poor example of muslim, but you get that nearly everywhere.
Well I live in London.
Oke,

No i just heard it. But Allahu a3lem.

And how is it in London? I will Insha Allah go with my (girl)friend to a family of her in london for a weekend. What do you prever yourself Birmigham of London.

England
12-28-2006, 10:43 AM
The immigrants arrive to the area and settle in the inner cities normally, the white populations move out (for whatever reasons) and what your left with are ghettos.

It is because the white British people are put behind the immigrants when it comes to houses. I'm not lying. We have to wait years to be given a house but immigrants get them straight away. What has also been apparent is that where I live there's a province where it used to be asian or black people, no whites at all but now you will find that the polish are starting to take it from them and it's starting to become white again, but still no British apart from these little babies these Polish are having. British citizens aren't given a chance.

Referring to Birmingham I don't know what it's like but I don't think I could live there. I have been there a few times to a meet a gal I knew. It looks really rough.

Malaikah
12-28-2006, 10:47 AM
:sl:

If you're going to move, why don't you consider moving to a good Muslim country instead of the UK? :)

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 10:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

If you're going to move, why don't you consider moving to a good Muslim country instead of the UK? :)

I know, that's why i asked. I want to move to a Muslim country. But i heard so many stories about birmingham. Many scolars say it is a good place to move to. Better than where i live now!

Ghair Insha Allah, just gathering some info!

England
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I know, that's why i asked. I want to move to a Muslim country. But i heard so many stories about birmingham. Many scolars say it is a good place to move to. Better than where i live now!

Ghair Insha Allah, just gathering some info!

You're better off moving to a good muslim country. Did you know there was riots in Birmingham not so long ago between the muslims and blacks? The blacks desecrated the muslims gravestones.

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 11:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
You're better off moving to a good muslim country. Did you know there was riots in Birmingham not so long ago between the muslims and blacks? The blacks desecratedthe muslims gravestones.

Is that so?

Again, this is a research! But i have never heard of that! Well Insha Allah i will take a look at london. And i will see.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Wassalam
Well unfortunately there are alot of sects here, we'll have a sect to meet everyones needs here lol. What you believe is the true path you will also find here and at the end of the day Birmingham is so diverse in terms of people you'll find allsorts here and it all depends who you with and which part of b'ham you're going to. The takfiris are rare around here but get all the attention.

The riots were just a small number of youths spreading rumours around and causing trouble, it did esculate abt but was under control by the Police.

Dawud_uk
12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

small heath in birmingham is the really islamic part, there are a lot of good muslims there and also some errrhhh weird ones also. there is even a shi'a masjid there.

but there is also green lane masjid,
http://www.greenlanemasjid.org/

which is upon the sunnah and correct manhaj and well worth a visit as well as several islamic bookshops where you can get good information from authentic sources.

yes there were riots a few months ago in birmingham, but there is a lot tension everywhere. i do however agree that moving to a muslim country would be better, especially as the dutch seem to be getting very anti islam at the moment.

i am expecting another influx of immigrants into the UK though, just like we got when the french banned hijab, loads of french muslims moved, some to the uk.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 12:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Well unfortunately there are alot of sects here, we'll have a sect to meet everyones needs here lol. What you believe is the true path you will also find here and at the end of the day Birmingham is so diverse in terms of people you'll find allsorts here and it all depends who you with and which part of b'ham you're going to. The takfiris are rare around here but get all the attention.

The riots were just a small number of youths spreading rumours around and causing trouble, it did esculate abt but was under control by the Police.
Oke this is information that comes furmiliour (i do not know how to whrite it)
This is what i also hear. Ghair Insha Allah, may Allah lead them to becomming one Umma.

We have the same problem in Holland. Subhanna Allah, just going to live Insha Allah in a Muslim country.

Baraka Allaho fiek for the information!

Wassalam

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

which is upon the sunnah and correct manhaj and well worth a visit as well as several islamic bookshops where you can get good information from authentic sources.

yes there were riots a few months ago in birmingham, but there is a lot tension everywhere. i do however agree that moving to a muslim country would be better, especially as the dutch seem to be getting very anti islam at the moment.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
Salaamo Aleikom,

Yes i agree a Muslim country is better. But i have to say i can Alhamdolilah practise my faith in Amsterdam very well. In other cities it's a big problem. Here their are many sisters walking with a niqaab in the public transport.

There are here many bookstores, but the most Dutch Islamic books arent that great. I always read English or Arabic books bcz the English has been directly translated from the Arabic (also in our bookstores).

May Allah reward you for your information!
You all have made it somewhat clear for me!

Wassalamo Aleikom

England
12-28-2006, 12:57 PM
A muslim country is your best option. Many muslims believe the veil is under threat of being banned here. You'll be able to get the best out of your faith in a true muslim country. The UK is proof that multiculturalism doesn't work. The different cultures clash with each other which does tend to cause a problem.

But at the same time the worst place to go is a muslim country that is ruled by a dictator that spreads hatred, ie. Iran.

aby5y
12-28-2006, 01:15 PM
LOL..I cant tell you about Birmingham sister...How about Glasgow???

FollowingAlhuda
12-28-2006, 01:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aby5y
LOL..I cant tell you about Birmingham sister...How about Glasgow???
Are there many Muslims?
tell me!

(The reason why i say England is bcz i always wanted to move there, do not ask why) I like the language the history and the fact tthat there are their strong Muslim comunities!)

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Wassalam

No, i don't live their but i have lived their for 2weeks my step papa's relatives live there, i live in Bristol. Move here lol or move to Chicago :thumbs_up (AMERICA)
Ma'assalama

aby5y
12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Whats Chicago like Sister?

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 01:22 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

small heath in birmingham is the really islamic part, there are a lot of good muslims there and also some errrhhh weird ones also. there is even a shi'a masjid there.

i am expecting another influx of immigrants into the UK though, just like we got when the french banned hijab, loads of french muslims moved, some to the uk.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

OMG in Greenlane Masjid Qari-Zaka-Ullah leads salah there :thumbs_up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPKeJ...elated&search=
if ya wana meet him then move to Brummy then Ukthi :p

Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aby5y
Whats Chicago like Sister?
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu
best place ever am telling ya better than UK!, i miss it though because am in UK not US at moemnt :(
but i do go in && out so thats alright.
Ma'assalama

Kittygyal
12-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Assalmualikum Warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu
Ukthi it actually depends on how much money you have because if you have loads of money come to Bristol && give me some :p will be nice :D looool

or go to U.S && live there :X
Ma'assalama

hasib
12-28-2006, 06:45 PM

Are people in birmingham friendly to outsiders like me :D........

Muezzin
12-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Please stick to the topic, everyone. :)

netprince
12-28-2006, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hasib

Depends what outsiders like you are like :D Are they freindly to Brummies?

samsam
12-28-2006, 06:54 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah
i agree that mosque is very good .birmingham is full of asains mainly but as dawud said small heath is the most reliogs part. plenty of schools and mosques. hope that helps

samsam
12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hasib

yh, but it depends on how your like

samsam
12-28-2006, 06:57 PM

OMG in Greenlane Masjid Qari-Zaka-Ullah leads salah there :thumbs_up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPKeJ...elated&search=
if ya wana meet him then move to Brummy then Ukthi :p

Ma'assalama
yh i know

Snowflake
12-28-2006, 07:49 PM
I live in Birmingham and I know a lot of people who want to move back home (myself included). But they are stuck because their kids are in the middle of education. My bro is earning lots of dosh here and has everything most people want. But he has realised (with 3 kids) that he doesn't want to raise them in this environment any longer. InshaAllah he will move to sharjah within two years.

If we who live here feel so strongly about moving out, then imagine what kinda place we are living in. All the best.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
12-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Growing up for kids in bham can be difficult and easy to get influenced by the wrong crowds and end up doing bad things, but one way or another it can happen in Muslim countries and sometimes experincing certaain things makes you stronger.

FollowingAlhuda
12-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Djazaakomo allaho Gheiran

Kittygyal
12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Djazaakomo allaho Gheiran
Assalmualikum warhmathullahi warbarakathuhu
what that mean Ukthi?
Ma'assalama

netprince
12-29-2006, 07:19 PM
what that mean Ukthi?
Ma'assalama

It means May Allah(SWT) reward you with goodness... or words to that effect

Kittygyal
12-29-2006, 07:20 PM
It means May Allah(SWT) reward you with goodness... or words to that effect
isn't that Jazakallah? Allah Hu Alim i have to go now remember me in your dua'as inshallah
&& also EARLY EID GREETINGS
Ma'assalama

netprince
12-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Writing arabic words into english (transliteration) isnt really an exact science, so different people write the same thing differently.

Eid Mubarak to you also :)

FollowingAlhuda
12-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks brother netprince for explaining.

And EidMubarak to all posters. May Allah give you a beutifull day, and remember what the day really means!

Wassalam

Muezzin
12-29-2006, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Growing up for kids in bham can be difficult and easy to get influenced by the wrong crowds and end up doing bad things, but one way or another it can happen in Muslim countries and sometimes experincing certaain things makes you stronger.
Unfortunately, kids will always be exposed to bad influences, whichever country or city you're in.

FollowingAlhuda
12-29-2006, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Unfortunately, kids will always be exposed to bad influences, whichever country or city you're in.
Very true. I just see where i'm from in Morcco. Just a few are practising Islaam. Te most might pray but that's almost it!
La Hawal Wala Quata Ila Bilah. Buti do not know how it is in other Muslim countries.

The Ruler
12-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Birmingham is great...its a lot better than where i am now...coventry road...probably one of the most famous places in birmingham is a mass muslim community road...theres like atleast 3 mosques there i think ^o)...greenlane is half on coventry road so that is counted in as well...and IPCI...is that a mosque :?...and the Darul Uloom mosque...not far away is the not-so-famous bordesley green mosque...and also on golden hillock road, there is that other mosque with a huge green dome..what was it called again :?...yup a LOT of mosques...but just as there are so many mosques, it proves the diversity there. yup muslims are more divided there...but its still great...small heath is a good place...but i remember onc on my way home, i was passing by small heath school, it was the end of school so the students were all out, and they freaked me out soo much that i started reciting dua's of protection :offended:

:w:

Naheezah
12-30-2006, 06:14 PM

wot abt da Uni of Birm. is there any prospect 4 international studs??!:? r hijabis welcome there?:?
:w: :)

netprince
12-30-2006, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Naheezah

wot abt da Uni of Birm. is there any prospect 4 international studs??!:? r hijabis welcome there?:?
:w: :)
The university of birmingham is amongst the best in the country, i think it regularly comes in the top 10 universities, i have pasted a link for you below, check it out and you should be able to get most of the info you need. They do actively recruit international students so that shouldn tbe an issue either.

As for Hijabi's, they are welcome anywhere in the country as far as i know :)

http://www.bham.ac.uk

The university also has quite an active islamic society which should also be of benefit to an international student such as yourself. This is a link to the islamic society of Birmingham University, id also advise you check this site out as well.

http://www.buisoc.co.uk/

H4RUN
12-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Birmingham:p
Well inshaAllah... i dont want to put anyone off, or give the wrong impression out...
I have mixed opinions about Birmingham, i can relate them most to the Alum Rock, Washwood heath and Bordsley Green areas...without a doubt the number of Muslims are very high indeed...unfortunately from where i was, practising Muslims were far less than those just by name....

Don't get me wrong, even in the named areas you will get groups of practising brothers and sisters...unfortunaley the 'other lot' out number them...

But really depends on where abouts you wish to move to....for instance...Alum Rock road....last time i was there for a little holiday during summer, it was like a fashion parade there...but i suppose you'll get that sort of attitude in a lot of places...

Oh yeah:p you can travel on the bus for 24 hrs, any where in birmingham on 1 ticket:p.....even we havn't that 'scheme' where i live:p good thing i dont use the bus:D...

Or:p a town comes to mind....it goes by the name of Luton:D near london...flights from Amsterdam come to Luton:D...[ london and luton airport]:p...multicultural society bla bla bla:p

InshaAllah all will work out 4 u :)

limitless
12-31-2006, 05:47 PM

England is hell, earthly hell. Oh and the accent. Don't move to England, move to Canada ;D the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom :D ! England is the worst place on earth to go and even for a one day trip. No offense, its the truth.

FollowingAlhuda
12-31-2006, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

England is hell, earthly hell. Oh and the accent. Don't move to England, move to Canada ;D the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom :D ! England is the worst place on earth to go and even for a one day trip. No offense, its the truth.

Thanks for the tip!

:D

Fishman
12-31-2006, 07:51 PM

It's not that bad is it? I don't really like it myself, but 'Earthly Hell' and 'worst place on Earth' are just over the top! :D

Mind you, Canada has a good medical service compared to Britain, and is a more left-wing place, I've never heard a moan about the veil from there at all!

netprince
12-31-2006, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I've never heard a moan about the veil from there at all!
Thats because its so cold there, even the men have to cover there faces :D :p

samsam
12-31-2006, 09:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+

Birmingham is great...its a lot better than where i am now...coventry road...probably one of the most famous places in birmingham is a mass muslim community road...theres like atleast 3 mosques there i think ^o)...greenlane is half on coventry road so that is counted in as well...and IPCI...is that a mosque :?...and the Darul Uloom mosque...not far away is the not-so-famous bordesley green mosque...and also on golden hillock road, there is that other mosque with a huge green dome..what was it called again :?...yup a LOT of mosques...but just as there are so many mosques, it proves the diversity there. yup muslims are more divided there...but its still great...small heath is a good place...but i remember onc on my way home, i was passing by small heath school, it was the end of school so the students were all out, and they freaked me out soo much that i started reciting dua's of protection :offended:

Have you ever visited Arrahmah mosque in small heath? yh i agree with so many mosque people are getting divided in groups, mostly race groups.

England
12-31-2006, 11:04 PM

State where in England you've actually travelled to.

*KB*
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
salam and hey sister i live in wednesbury in Birmingham!
it's ok and it's a quiet town but on the whole good! brummy(nickname 4 birmingham) is ok but full of asians and their shops but it's not that bad!
hope that tells you a bit!
wasalam
*KB*
:coolious:
:peace:

Qurratul Ayn
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Assalamo Aleikom,

My question is..

I will hear!

Wassalam
:salamext:

Why do you want to come to England? Forgive me if I am being nosey. Well, England is a good country depending on where you exactly live so hopefully if you move, move to a good part. There are good parts in all the major cities but nowadays the house prices are really expensive (warning you in advance) but if you have any relatives already in this country then it would be easier to ask them but if you haven't then Insha'Allah, Allah may guide you to a good part of the country.

Maybe I should get to the point of where you may want to move which is Birmingham, yes it is a good city but as you know any good city has its ups and downs I don't know much about Birmingham but I do know that it has giood shops to shop in! But there rae some good parts of which names I shall soon put up after researching (I will reserach to help you, Sister Following Alhuda)

:salamext:
Qurratul Ayn

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.