/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Great White Sharks Heading For Britain

England
12-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Bookies Slash Jaws Odds
Updated: 12:19, Wednesday December 27, 2006

A bookmaker is offering odds of 25-1 that a great white shark will be caught off UK shores next year.

Totesport, which has come up with a series of "global warming wagers", is also offering odds of 50-1 that the Thames Barrier will be breached in London over the next decade.

The company, which thought up the bets with the help of former BBC weatherman John Kettley, is offering odds of 4-1 that 2007 will be the hottest year on record.

Totesport spokesman Damian Walker said: "Global warming has led to so many long-standing weather records being broken and we've been inundated with requests for unusual weather bets for 2007.

"We've taken professional advice on all our prices and the experts believe the possibility of a great white being caught off the shores of the UK is not as far fetched as it first sounds.

"In the summer of 2003 the National Geographic reported a credible sighting of a great white shark off the coast of Devon.

"And as the sea around the UK is getting warmer, many of the great white's prey have been moving further north into UK waters."

Totesport has said it will donate 50% of any profits made on these bets to Friends of the Earth.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
That would be interesting, although I think it is highly unlikely. Although this could be grounds for a new Jaws movie.

chacha_jalebi
12-28-2006, 10:31 PM
"kill them all":p :D erm i mean what a pleasure to have a vareity of animals in good old england :D:D:D

but you know like after 5 days, some scientists are jus gona take them away and start experimentin, like they did on that whale in the thames! :D

Woodrow
12-28-2006, 10:33 PM
According to an article in the Sun newspaper in August 2003, great white sharks are now “patrolling Britain’s shores”! Indeed, in his latest revision of the Sharks of the World catalogue for the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), Prof. Leonard Compagno has extended the range of the Great White (Carcharodon carcharias) to English Channel, North Sea and Irish Sea waters. Compagno notes in his text “possibly England” when listing known locations for White sharks.
Source: http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/brit...rcharodon.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
England
12-28-2006, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
"kill them all":p :D erm i mean what a pleasure to have a vareity of animals in good old england :D:D:D

but you know like after 5 days, some scientists are jus gona take them away and start experimentin, like they did on that whale in the thames! :D
EXPERIMENT lol? They tried to save the whale by returning it back to the ocean. Whales, dolphins, porpoises and sharks don't get killed by us here, they're protected species. They die alot by strolling up the rivers and getting stranded.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Yeah I remember that but there has been no proof of that as of yet.

format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
first lions now shark huh another pet guy init dude dats da spirit
I love dangerous animals but my favourite creatures are Whales, dolphins and sharks :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
That would be interesting, although I think it is highly unlikely. Although this could be grounds for a new Jaws movie.
In fact is extremely likely. It would be possible to say that Great white sharks entering British waters is imminent but the question is when. I don't think it's too far off. It's getting hotter and hotter every year. One day the British sea will be as warm as the mediterranean :D

Woodrow
12-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I love dangerous animals but my favourite creatures are Whales, dolphins and sharks
Brings back Memories. Small whales (Pilot whales )and lots of Dolphins [porposes] inhabit the Gulf of Mexico. My wife and myself used to enjoy camping on a fairly secluded Island (Bocha Chica) at the mouth of the Rio Grande river and and at night lay in the water and listen to the sounds of the whales and dolphins. A truly haunting and beautiful sound.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.