/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is lying allowed in Islam if its really needed?

Samira_01
12-30-2006, 08:18 PM
:sl:

im just wondering if itz allowed in Islam to lie wen its for da sake of Allah .. or to stay out of trouble :? .. since i was a childhood i hv known dat lie is not allowed in Islam .. which i still belive its true .. but i dunno if itz possible to lie if yu really need to .. SPECAILLY TO GET OUT OF TROUBLE or example like sum1 tryin to kill yu or anyfin like dat ..:?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
umm-sulaim
12-30-2006, 08:45 PM
It's not permissable to lie in Islam: the prophet alayhi salatu wassalaam said 'beware of lying for lying directs one to evil and evil leads to the fire narrated by Abdullahi bin mas'oud, authentic.
except for in 3 situations as it was narrated by umm kalthum bint 'uqbah bin abee mu'eet she said i heard the prophet alayhi salaatu wassalam say: the liar isn't the one that makes peace between people or progresses towards it he then says good or progresses towards good, she then said: and i haven't heard that he made anything people say about lying except for in three (Situations): making peace between people, and the words of a man with his lady, and the words of a lady with her husband. bukari n muslim.

hope that helps sis

wassalaam

Samira_01
12-30-2006, 10:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
It's not permissable to lie in Islam: the prophet alayhi salatu wassalaam said 'beware of lying for lying directs one to evil and evil leads to the fire narrated by Abdullahi bin mas'oud, authentic.
except for in 3 situations as it was narrated by umm kalthum bint 'uqbah bin abee mu'eet she said i heard the prophet alayhi salaatu wassalam say: the liar isn't the one that makes peace between people or progresses towards it he then says good or progresses towards good, she then said: and i haven't heard that he made anything people say about lying except for in three (Situations): making peace between people, and the words of a man with his lady, and the words of a lady with her husband. bukari n muslim.

hope that helps sis

wassalaam
Jazakallahu Qayrn ukhti for really tryin to help me out .. Al7amdulilah:)

- Qatada -
12-30-2006, 10:44 PM
:salamext:

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle concerning telling lies is that it is one of the signs of the hypocrites, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The signs of the hypocrite are three: when he speaks, he lies, when he makes a promise he breaks it, and when he is entrusted with something he breaks that trust.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 32; Muslim, 89.

But there are some instances in which Islam permits lying, if that serves a greater purpose or wards off a greater harm:

These cases include the following:

1- When a person is intermediating in order to bring about reconciliation between two disputing parties.

2- When a man speaks to his wife, or a wife to her husband, concerning matters that will increase the love between them.

3- War.

It was narrated from Umm Kulthoom bint ‘Uqbah that she heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “He is not a liar who brings about reconciliation among people, conveys good words and says good things.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2546; Muslim, 2605

It was narrated that Asma’ bint Yazeed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Lies are not appropriate except in three cases: when a man speaks to his wife to please her, telling lies at times of war, and lying in order to bring about reconciliation between people.”

Shaykh al-Albaani said: it is hasan.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ee%20instances

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SilentObserver
12-31-2006, 01:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle concerning telling lies is that it is one of the signs of the hypocrites, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The signs of the hypocrite are three: when he speaks, he lies, when he makes a promise he breaks it, and when he is entrusted with something he breaks that trust.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 32; Muslim, 89.

But there are some instances in which Islam permits lying, if that serves a greater purpose or wards off a greater harm:

These cases include the following:

1- When a person is intermediating in order to bring about reconciliation between two disputing parties.

2- When a man speaks to his wife, or a wife to her husband, concerning matters that will increase the love between them.

3- War.

It was narrated from Umm Kulthoom bint ‘Uqbah that she heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “He is not a liar who brings about reconciliation among people, conveys good words and says good things.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2546; Muslim, 2605

It was narrated that Asma’ bint Yazeed said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Lies are not appropriate except in three cases: when a man speaks to his wife to please her, telling lies at times of war, and lying in order to bring about reconciliation between people.”

Shaykh al-Albaani said: it is hasan.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...ee%20instances
Hi Fi_Sabilillah,

It is the third case that I find interesting.

The idea of lying being ok in war. Now I'm not suggesting that a majority, or even many do this, I have no way of knowing. But it has been suggested to me, and I believe evidence does exist, that at least some muslims use this as an excuse to lie daily. The excuse goes something like this; "every day the kafir are against us. It is a war. Therefore lying is justified." It may be very few, but at least some. And I agree, it may just be a case of a few characters. And I believe I have seen this at work at least a few times. I dare say even on this forum at least once.
So my question is this; Have you yourself seen evidence of others doing this? And, do you believe it is common, somewhat common, or rare?

Abu Zakariya
12-31-2006, 01:31 AM
Has anyone ever suggested that a normal Muslim can lie in a situation like today, even if he considers Britain to be at war with Muslims because of their attacks on some Muslim lands?
I mean, has anybody ever claimed that the third case mentioned may refer to other things than deceit when it comes to war tactics, like for instance an ambush?
I haven't studied the details of this, so I really don't know. But if nobody has claimed that a normal Muslim living in England who truly believes that he is at war with the country he resides in is allowed to lie based on what was said above, then the people that eventually do lie just use this as an excuse, knowing that what they're doing is wrong.

- Qatada -
12-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi silentobserver.

You'll have to ask the person who you heard it off for their evidences. We don't simply interpret Qur'an or Sunnah according to the way of our own desires, rather we do it according to the understanding of the sahabah/companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) because they had the best understanding due to the fact that they experienced the Qur'an within their lives.

Therefore if the person you heard it off has any proper proof for what they claim, or if they have proof from a proper scholar who is known for his/her trustworthiness - then we can agree. Otherwise we can't simply explain the hadith according to our own simple understanding because the majority of us are laymen. And Allaah Almighty knows best.

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.