PDA

View Full Version : new year

mohammed farah
12-31-2006, 03:52 PM
happy new year everyone :) :) :) :statisfie :statisfie :thumbs_up

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Helena
12-31-2006, 03:57 PM
sorry to state it this way...but celebrating new year...is it appropriate?

but something to keep in mind....another year has swept away from us....

reflect the whole year...how have we spent for our creator? ...

Think and reflect inshAllah....

- Qatada -
12-31-2006, 04:06 PM
:salamext:

Praise be to Allaah.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it is not permissible for the Muslims to attend the festivals of the mushrikeen, according to the consensus of the scholars whose words carry weight.

The fuqaha’ who follow the four schools of thought have stated this clearly in their books… Al-Bayhaqi narrated with a saheeh isnaad from ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab that he said: “Do not enter upon the mushrikeen in their churches on the day of their festival, for divine wrath is descending upon them.” And ‘Umar also said: “Avoid the enemies of Allaah on their festivals.” Al-Bayhaqi narrated with a jayyid isnaad from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr that he said: “Whoever settles in the land of the non-Arabs and celebrates their new year and festival and imitates them until he dies in that state, will be gathered with them on the Day of Resurrection.”

(Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, 1/723-724).

With regard to congratulating them on their festivals, this has already been answered in Question no. 947, which we advise you to refer to.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...e%20new%20year

mohammed farah
12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by traveler
sorry to state it this way...but celebrating new year...is it appropriate?

but something to keep in mind....another year has swept away from us....

reflect the whole year...how have we spent for our creator? ...

Think and reflect inshAllah....
no problem sis, its good to question if your unsure

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
limitless
12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
:sl:

Not to offend, but how come we are celebrating or even bothering to reflect upon a Christian calender year? It is not a new year for us, muslims, yet.

:w:

England
12-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Happy New Year! 50 mins until the year 2007, let the fireworks off!

Sabbir_1
01-01-2007, 12:22 AM
01/01/2007-

Al_Imaan
01-01-2007, 12:24 AM
we got like 4 hrs to go

AvarAllahNoor
01-01-2007, 01:27 AM
WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JE KE FATEH (PURE ONES BELONG TO GOD, VICTORY TO GOD)

Happy New Year to all my brothers and sisters on this forum! May 2007 be Blessed for all!

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JE KE FATEH (PURE ONES BELONG TO GOD, VICTORY TO GOD)

Roo_88
01-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Happy New Year everyone:)

limitless
01-01-2007, 01:43 AM
This is a christian calender new year. I don't get you people at all. I am confused.

Roo_88
01-01-2007, 01:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
This is a christian calender new year. I don't get you people at all. I am confused.
It is..but its ok i guess to say new yr because we'll be writing the date 01-01-07..so just for that..

limitless
01-01-2007, 01:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Roo_88
It is..but its ok i guess to say new yr because we'll be writing the date 01-01-07..so just for that..

it is not okay to say that because it is not islamic.

Roo_88
01-01-2007, 01:58 AM

oh ok ..sorry..

Al_Imaan
01-01-2007, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless
it is not okay to say that because it is not islamic.
oh ok ..sorry..
lol..sorry to laugh but it's kind of funny cuz the brother said it it is not permissible for the Muslims to attend the festivals of the mushrikeen, and sister roo apologized instantly.....anyhow, like it is said in the Quran....

"(5) So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it.
( سورة الزلزلة , Al-Zalzala, Chapter #99, Verse #7)

(6) And whosoever does evil equal to the weight of an atom (or a small ant), shall see it. ( سورة الزلزلة , Al-Zalzala, Chapter #99, Verse #8)"

we might not realize that just saying "Happy New Year" might mean that we r celebrating it and may get that sin....so just to stay on the safe side...let's not say anything....but i can't wait till Muharram...that's OUR new year....

BlissfullyJaded
01-01-2007, 05:16 AM

Even when it comes to Muharram, we don't celebrate the new year. Rather we look back at the past year and reflect on how wisely (or unwisely) we spent it.

Al_Imaan
01-01-2007, 05:22 AM
i know that sis...but u still have that feeling that tells u another year has passed by...doesn't really matter if u can't celebrate it

BlissfullyJaded
01-01-2007, 05:25 AM

Yeah I know. Its just that non Muslims celebrate their new year, but when Muharram comes for us, we can't celebrate it that way. lol, I didn't mean to sound harsh.

Al_Imaan
01-01-2007, 05:30 AM
it's ok sis...there's more to life than than sitting around and celebrating every single event that comes by.....we should spend our lives the way Allah wants us to...and not change ourselves to be like those around us...(does that make sense?...lol)

doctor
01-01-2007, 05:47 AM
Islamic new year will start from the first of Moharram.We should wait till then.

*charisma*
01-01-2007, 05:48 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Funny how it is people spend thousands of dollars for fireworks on a day just like any other and waste themselves on drinks and partying while other people are dying and not feeling as if it were a "New Year" at all.

It not important, I suppose, we only see one side of the wall.

May Allah guide us all and grant ease to those suffering ameen.
May we strive to make our last minute better than the next ameen.

While everyone is going on with the New Year, i7imdu rabbikum (thank your Lord) that you've lived to witness it and the past years before it. Alhemdu wa shukrillah ya rabb.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Sanobar
01-02-2007, 05:32 AM

^^ well sed *charisma* it is very astounding.. how ppl celebrate it :lol:

and Ameen to the previous duas!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-02-2007, 05:43 AM
I dont feel the difference when its new year...
Maybe im just boring, i dont like it lol. Someone will say Happy New Year and ill be like ok...s0o0...lol. its jus numbers...=| true, ur only getting closer to ur death :X

Sanobar
01-02-2007, 06:18 AM
^^ true ... exactly wat i was thinkin! :(:(

England
01-02-2007, 03:54 PM
There's nowt wrong with saying Happy New Year. If you watched the firework displays then you would have seen muslims there. There were muslims attending the celebration.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-02-2007, 03:55 PM
That doesn make it right. Its like saying i could see a Muslim drinking and then some1 tellin me theres nothin wrong wit it...meanwhile it is...:D

England
01-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Wishing someone a good new year and good will is a sin? I would have thought God would have been proud with anyone as generous.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Im not talking about wishing. im talking about celebrating. talk about twisting genius...sheesh :X

England
01-02-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Im not talking about wishing. im talking about celebrating. talk about twisting genius...sheesh :X
But people are telling each other to stop wishing others a happy new year...
I'm not referring to celebrations.

- Qatada -
01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
We don't need to celebrate a new year because we have our own year which is the islamic calendar [which is a lunar calendar.] :)

Peace.

England
01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
We don't need to celebrate a new year because we have our own year which is the islamic calendar [which is a lunar calendar.] :)

Peace.
I'm not talking about celebrating. I'm talking about a simple warm-hearted good will. A wish for all the best. The day itself doesn't have to mean anything to you at all, but wishing someone all the best shouldn't be a problem. God would be pleased.

- Qatada -
01-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, its probably alright to say 'good day' and all that.

Qur'an 25:63. And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.

Peace!

glo
01-02-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
I'm not talking about celebrating. I'm talking about a simple warm-hearted good will. A wish for all the best. The day itself doesn't have to mean anything to you at all, but wishing someone all the best shouldn't be a problem. God would be pleased.
Hi England

You have to understand that many Muslims are very protective of their Islamic way of life - the the extend that other practices and customs are frowned upon (well, the Qu'ran instructs Muslims not to partake in the rituals and practices of non-believers ...)

I have come to understand and accept that perception.
But much as I can understand a resistance to non-Islamic ways of life, it does sadden me when people seem to want to condemn everything non-Islamic as harmful and bad. For some people everything non-Islamic seems to be equated with immoral, drunken, unkind behaviour ... and everything positive that might be said about non-Islamic practices is ignored or disputed. :(
I admire those who try tirelessly to educate people about the benefits, joys and blessings of non-Islamic festivals and ways of life ... although I myself feel rather tired at the moment.

Another thing to bear in mind is that perhaps not all Muslims take that view, but some may not feel comfortable to declare it openly here.

Wishing you a happy New Year, England. May you be blessed in everything you do! :)

*charisma*
01-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Assalamu Alaikum, Greetings,

There's nothing wrong with saying wishing someone a happy new year as long as the intention is going towards the sake of Allah.

I'd wish everyone a happy new year every January 1st, but guess what? The intention of starting a better year is already destroyed in that first day!

How many have already had hangovers from drinking too much and partying? Surely it is for one's own selfish desires that they feel they must start with harming themselves and those around them. There isn't a doubt in my mind, as well that little children don't participate in these common "traditions".

Then there's the immense spending on parades, shows, and fireworks. Money has gone all the way up in the air and poof! It explodes into little bits of light just so we can smile and say, "Wow, what a spectacular view!"

A new year can be started any time through out the year. August 2nd 2007-August 2nd, 2008 would be a whole year. If you started at a different time, your own time, your intentions to better yourself would be greater because it won't be for the cultural desires of keeping a tradition within society, but because of true and pure intentions that you have within yourself to start out fresh, to better yourself, and your world at that!

As explained many times before, Islam isn't just a religion, but a way of life. As Muslims we naturally tend to the wisdom of Allah behind each rule, however as nonMuslims, you try to find the logical explanation and doing so you twist it to make it seem negative (i.e. not saying “Happy New Year” because Islam doesn’t approve of nonMuslims celebrating together), however realize every true Muslim (inshallah) hopes that each human being be guided, the ummah reunited, and this world an equally livable world for everybody everyday (maybe even after every prayer, 5 times a day or more) We don’t wish upon the year as a whole, but rather, we outlook that we should better ourselves within the second that we inhale a breath. There's the logical explanation outside the box of Islam that can pertain to any human being, Muslim or nonMuslim.

Fi aman Allah
w'salaam

glo
01-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Greetings, charisma

I agree with much you are saying.
Personally, I think we should start every day with our very best intentions.
Every day is an opportunity to
  • serve God
  • please God
  • pray to God
  • read God's word
  • do good
  • help others
  • better yourself
  • spread peace and joy
  • give
  • love

I could go on and on ...

With that in mind, I wish you a Happy New Day. :)

Peace

skhalid
01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Well...if You Follow The Christian Calendar...then Why Not Celebrate It Anyways....but I Celebrate The Islamic New Year, Becoz Its My Religion It Is More Important And It Makes More Sense For Me To Celebrate It!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.