/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The two natives of Tikrit and the fall of Baghdad

classicalislam
01-01-2007, 08:52 PM
:sl:

The two natives of Tikrit and the fall of Baghdad

In 2003 CE (Common Era) Baghdad has fallen once more to the foreign invaders and her ruler executed without any remorse. Saddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti, as suggested from his name was from Tikrit, a small town north of Baghdad. Thanks to the 24 hour media publicity, we have all come to know that Saddam was the former president of Iraq until April 2003 and was hanged on 30th December 2006 – 10th Zillhijjah 1427 AH (Anno Hegirae). Saddam Hussein may have ruled Iraqi people harshly but one thing is very clear if we play the numbers game, under his rule of approximately 24 years there was less loss of civilian life than in three and half years of (2003-6) so-called Iraqi freedom.

Let me make this very clear any loss of innocent life is a disgrace to humanity, as mentioned in the Qur’aan murder is equal to mischief and killing one innocent soul is as killing the whole of mankind.

Saddam Hussein ruled Iraq in a very different way to another native of his hometown Tikrit, Salahuddin Ayyubi.

Salahuddin Ayyubi (c. 1138 - March 4, 1193) was a twelfth century Muslim general and warrior also from Tikrit. Salahuddin is renowned in both the Muslim and Christian worlds for leadership and military prowess, tempered by his gallantry and merciful nature during his war against the invading Crusaders from the west. In relation to his Christian contemporaries, his character was exemplary, to an extent that propagated stories of his exploits back to the west, incorporating both myth and facts. Salahuddin Ayyubi is an honorific title which translates to ‘The Righteousness of the Faith’.

These two rulers being from the same town is not the only striking similarity but both having the fate of confronting (geographically) western powers and (religiously) Christians.

The invading crusaders of the 11th, 12th and 13th century were driven by faith and blinded by wealth. These crusaders mostly peasants accompanied by some fighters had the opportunity to clash with the mightiest warrior of Islam, Salahuddin Ayyubi who was instrumental in restoring peace in the troubled region. Whereas in 2003 the invading armies driven by the hunger of oil and blinded by ego have it easy during their face-off with Saddam Hussein.

Another similar thing that comes to my mind is the propaganda statements during the crusader years, in particular the remarks of pope Urban II (Pope 1088-99) who is known for starting the first crusade (1095-99) declared that we have to free the holy land form the rule of the “Barbarians” the Saracens (from Greek sarakenoí, which is derived from the Arabic word sharqiyyin "easterners") i.e. the Muslims. Now in the 21st century CE same propaganda ranting goes on by the new hot-word “terrorists”.

The fall of Baghdad has already happened once before in 1258CE under the rule of Abbasid Caliph Al-Musta'sim Billah (1213 - February 20, 1258) by the grandson of Genghis Khan, Hulagu Khan. This is again another similar tale peppered with the distraction of Iraq and Baghdad along with ‘The House of Wisdom’ (Arabic Bayt al-Hikma) which was a library and translation institute in Abbassid-era Baghdad. It is considered to have been a major intellectual center of the Islamic Golden Age. The killings of hundreds of thousands of innocent people and the unfortunate ultimate fate of Al-Musta'sim Billah on 10 February 1258CE who was executed by Hulagu Khan. The Mongols did not want to shed "royal blood," so they wrapped him in a rug along with all of his sons (but one) and trampled them to death with their horses.

This destruction of Iraq and Baghdad was largely due to the lack of preparation by Muslims, who were more engaged in leisure and pleasure than building defences. It is said that when Hulagu Khan sent a message to the caliph, Al-Musta'sim, containing the following:

"When I lead my army against Baghdad in anger, whether you hide in heaven or in earth
I will bring you down from the spinning spheres;
I will toss you in the air like a lion.
I will leave no one alive in your realm;
I will burn your city, your land, your self.
If you wish to spare yourself and your honoured family, give heed to my advice with the ear of intelligence. If you do not, you will see what God has willed."

The Caliph replied, influenced by deluded promises from his Vizier that the Mongols could be driven off literally by the women of the city throwing stones at them, and did the worst of all things, nothing. He neither raised an army to defend Baghdad from the largest Mongol army ever assembled - nor did he attempt to negotiate with Hulagu Khan. Instead he sent weak threats to the Mongol warlord and paid the ultimate price by death.

What we learn from this and many other events in history is that, it repeats its self and what we do not learn is the lessons it teaches us.

“Oh our Lord, grant us the best in this life and the best in afterlife and protect us from the punishment of the Fire.” Ameen.
--------------------------------------------------------
Researched and compiled by Iftkhar Khan (Islamic Scholar)
Webmaster of www.Classicalislam.com
Graduate of Darul Uloom London

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
netprince
01-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I wouldnt put Saddam in quite the same category as SalahUddin Ayyubi.....

However, your point regarding history repeating itself is very well made.

.............Mongol Hordes or American Bombs.............

FollowingAlhuda
01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by netprince

True

classicalislam
01-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Asalamu Alaikum
I think you got this completely wrong. No way, Saddam and Salahuddin Ayyubi are in the same category… I am not saying that at all, read carefully. What I am saying is that both have similarities like place of origin and the type of enemy they faced BUT both used different methods to prepare and defend their people one ultimately failed (Saddam) and one was victorious, and we should learn that form history how he (Salahuddin Ayyubi) achieved this great feat.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
netprince
01-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Are you the actual author of the article?

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 12:15 AM
yes

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 12:16 AM
go here abut me::: http://www.classicalislam.com/pages/about/about_me.html

smartcard
01-02-2007, 08:58 AM
They are Tigers of Tikrit

netprince
01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
You seem like an educated person, so a quick question.....

Does Allah(SWT) grant the tyrants and evil people the shahada as their last words?

another non related question, I checked your website and on it you say you have been to spain. A few friends and I were planning a trip there in a couple of months time, we have only the Al Hambra and Cordoba 'Cathedral' as must sees at the moment. Are there any places you would recommend as must see (we're only going to be there about 3/4 days)??

Thank you in advance

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Asalamu Alaikum

I hope you are well, according to Islamic Fiq (Jurisprudent) if a murderer or a killer has his justice in this world by Qissas (Punishable by death) his justice is done. Nevertheless it is still up to Allah the Almighty to redeem someone completely and grant them Jannah (Paradise).

Shahhadah can be of many types and gained in many ways, however the most well known is the occurrence of death in the straggle of raising Allah the Almighty’s name, for example Jihad-fe-Sabeelliah (Striving in the path of Allah the Almighty).

Someone hanged for Qissas is not a Shaheed.

Regarding Spain visit my travel page for more info.
http://www.classicalislam.com/pages/photos/spain.htm

skhalid
01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
They have similarities but also have thier differences!!!
No 1 in life is the same....even thoough they are the same in the eyes of God.

netprince
01-02-2007, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by classicalislam
Asalamu Alaikum

I hope you are well, according to Islamic Fiq (Jurisprudent) if a murderer or a killer has his justice in this world by Qissas (Punishable by death) his justice is done. Nevertheless it is still up to Allah the Almighty to redeem someone completely and grant them Jannah (Paradise).

Shahhadah can be of many types and gained in many ways, however the most well known is the occurrence of death in the straggle of raising Allah the Almighty’s name, for example Jihad-fe-Sabeelliah (Striving in the path of Allah the Almighty).

Someone hanged for Qissas is not a Shaheed.

Regarding Spain visit my travel page for more info.
http://www.classicalislam.com/pages/photos/spain.htm

Assalaam Alaikum Bro,

When i said Shahada, i wasnt talking about martyrdom, and i understand your point regarding punishment for ones sins, such as death for the murderer.

My understanding has always been that to die with the Kalima on your breath is a very very good way to die. I also pray to Allah(SWT) to grant me the kalima on my last breath...Allah(SWT) will grant that to whomsoever he wills. My question is, can or have any tyrants/evil people been known in islamic history to have uttered the kalima as they died, as there last words?

Regarding the spain thing, i have visited your website and Mashallah you have some very beautiful photographs. However, my request there was also a kind of personal recommendation, such as, "I went to so and so place and visited so and so place, i thought they were such and such so it would be beneficial for you also if you went there" etc

Wa alaikum assalaam.

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by skhalid
They have similarities but also have thier differences!!!
No 1 in life is the same....even thoough they are the same in the eyes of God.
Can you please elaborate on your point…

skhalid
01-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Sure...wot I mean to say is that yes they are from the same town...but each one has their reasons for what they did... it doesn't make them the same....
They where both in power and misued it and so in the end u could say they deserved what they get..got and becoz of them and other people who follow the military act of Jihad...us muslims are put at risk, and people start finkin' dat we r all 'terrorist' which we all know it aint true...rite?

Skillganon
01-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Sure...wot I mean to say is that yes they are from the same town...but each one has their reasons for what they did... it doesn't make them the same....
They where both in power and misued it and so in the end u could say they deserved what they get..got and becoz of them and other people who follow the military act of Jihad...us muslims are put at risk, and people start finkin' dat we r all 'terrorist' which we all know it aint true...rite?
Sis these kind of rethoric levelled against the muslim/Islam is nothing new in Islam.

skhalid
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I know...but it is seriously getting worse...and all we can do is sit on our behinds ...we cant do nufin' bout it!!!

Skillganon
01-02-2007, 10:10 PM
I know...but it is seriously getting worse...and all we can do is sit on our behinds ...we cant do nufin' bout it!!!
That's where you are wrong. Don't become a defeatist.

EDIT:

Here is a good read: http://islamtoday.com/showme_weekly_...sub_cat_id=631

skhalid
01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
That's where you are wrong. Don't become a defeatist.

EDIT:

Here is a good read: http://islamtoday.com/showme_weekly_...sub_cat_id=631
well...there are sum things we have to sit and watch and do nufin' about...and other things need a form of action!!!
sorz if I woz wrong..

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Regarding the spain thing, i have visited your website and Mashallah you have some very beautiful photographs. However, my request there was also a kind of personal recommendation, such as, "I went to so and so place and visited so and so place, i thought they were such and such so it would be beneficial for you also if you went there" etc
Wa alaikum assalaam.
Asalamu Alaikum
If you insist… I have uploaded my travel itinerary especially for you; it can be downloaded it from here;

I have highlighted the good places to visit and they are described, why in the picture show.
There have been few tyrants/evil people in Islamic history who read the shahadah in their final moments.

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
i forgot the link here we go...
http://www.classicalislam.com/pages/photos.htm

FBI
01-02-2007, 10:27 PM
:sl:

Bro Classical, from my understanding is punishment is withdrawn if the offender if he or she receives the punishment in this world under Sharia Law, now Saddam was tried under iraqi law, and In one of your post's you said something about qisaas but does it apply in this case.

netprince
01-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Asalamu Alaikum
If you insist… I have uploaded my travel itinerary especially for you; it can be downloaded it from here;

I have highlighted the good places to visit and they are described, why in the picture show.
There have been few tyrants/evil people in Islamic history who read the shahadah in their final moments
i forgot the link here we go...
http://www.classicalislam.com/pages/photos.htm

Thank you for the information regarding both the spain visit and the Shahada. I'm sure the information regarding places of interest in spain will be most useful. I will Inshallah visit your site again and check the relevant sections. Please accept my apologies for putting you to the trouble of updating your website.

:w:

skhalid
01-02-2007, 10:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Sis these kind of rethoric levelled against the muslim/Islam is nothing new in Islam.
I know but not enough is being dun 2 prevent it?!

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 10:37 PM

What do you mean by both Saddam and Caliph Al-Musta'sim Billah? or Salahuddin Ayyubi because he did not misuse powers. Any how Caliph Al-Musta'sim Billah was misinformed by his Vizier.

-------------

Allah the Almighty knows best... the Iraqi court was a kangaroo court and defiantly not Islamic...
I was merely saying what the Islamic ruling is regarding a killer and murderer.

netprince
01-02-2007, 10:39 PM
There have been few tyrants/evil people in Islamic history who read the shahadah in their final moments.
:sl: again

Forgot to add in the other post, could you post some information regarding the previous tyrants who read the shahada in their final moments. If you dont have the information to hand and it might be too much hassle to locate it then its fine, dont put yourself to any trouble. I just wanted to know whether it had happened historically.

Thank you again

classicalislam
01-02-2007, 10:55 PM
:sl: again

Forgot to add in the other post, could you post some information regarding the previous tyrants who read the shahada in their final moments. If you dont have the information to hand and it might be too much hassle to locate it then its fine, dont put yourself to any trouble. I just wanted to know whether it had happened historically.

Thank you again

This will require a bit of digging up in books … but will do..

netprince
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
This will require a bit of digging up in books … but will do..
Thank you much appreciated.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.