/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Koran becomes hit Christmas present

Showkat
01-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Koran becomes hit Christmas present
http://www.cphpost.dk/get/99633.html

Believers and non-believers alike are looking to a new Koran translation to give them insight into Islam

A new Danish translation of the Koran has been snapped up from bookstores' shelves, joining the ties, toasters and toys wrapped and waiting to be opened Christmas Eve.

In the first month since its release, nearly half of the 10,000 copies available have been sold, sending philologist Ellen Wulff's translation to number two on the non-fiction list.

Bookstore managers have reported that this translation of the central text of Islam has become a surprise Christmas gift hit.

'The majority of Korans we sell are for Christmas presents. I know, because we wrap a lot of them,' Maja Nordholm, manager of Arnold Busck bookstore in Odense, told Kristeligt Dagblad newspaper.

The only other existing Danish translation of the Koran was published in 1967. But it is acknowledged by neither Shia nor Sunni Muslims, as the translator, Abdul S Madsen, belonged to the Ahmadiyya sect, which teaches that a second prophet arrived after Mohammed.

The release of the new translation comes at a time when Islam is a highly debated subject, noted Jørgen Bæk Simonsen, an Islam expert and professor at the University of Copenhagen. He felt it could fill a need among non-Muslim Danes to gain an understanding of Islam.

'You can't read the newspaper, listen to the radio or turn on the TV without encountering Islam and Muslims,' said Simonsen. 'So there is a desire to learn what the Koran is about. Some will read it to find out what the Koran says. Others will read it to take part in the public debate.'

The translation has also opened a window for Muslims with an immigrant background who cannot read Arabic, according to Kate Østergaard, a researcher in religion at the University of Copenhagen. She believes the Danish translation fills a need among young Muslims to define and understand their religion.

'Their religion is continually in focus, so they want to look at what is in the Koran and find out what real Islam is,' she said.

Amir Mahdi, 24, a Muslim living in Odense, agrees. He has difficulty reading Arabic, so he was happy to receive a copy of the Danish version from his father.

'The Danish Koran opens doors for me to rediscover my religion and gain a greater understanding for something that means a lot in my life,' Mahdi said. 'Now I can make my own interpretations and go deeper into Islam.'

Comment:

Who would have expected the Quran to be so popular in a country where the cartoons of Muhammed Saw were drawn which led to many protests and a boycott of Danish goods by Muslims.

The Government sought to demonise Muslims by making public statements about Muslims refusal to integrate, dress code, refusal to join the army and kill fellow Muslims etc.

The public in their country most of whom were not taken in by the anti-Islamic rhetoric chose to go to the source of Muslims way of life which is the Quran and find out for themselves what Islam has to say on a variety of issues. This is the beginning of western people trying to understand what Islam is and is the perfect oppurtunity for us as Muslims to explain any issues and questions which they have to refute state propaganda and lies.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Hmm...this is slightly iffy

:)

Woodrow
01-02-2007, 01:20 PM
If it is popular for the right reasons, it is a good thing. We can only pray that their intentions are good and they sincerly want to learn about Islam.

Pk_#2
01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
InshaAllah :)

I know some people that really wana know about Islam, after incidents (is dat how u spell it) like the above!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rubiesand
01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
God is good. We hope for the best.

Maarya
01-02-2007, 01:46 PM
salam
its good as long as their buying them for all the right reasons. hopefully they will have a better understanding of Islam and so we won't be victims of hatred anymore.
wslm

England
01-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't quite believe this article at all. This article probably comes from a pro-Islamic source which is trying to send out the false message that non-muslims are "embracing," or stepping closer to "embrace Islam."
I wouldn't take much notice in this or any alike.

netprince
01-02-2007, 05:21 PM
If you look back to the Salman Rushdie affair, a lot of non muslims went out and brought Seerah books and copies of the quran.

There are genuine people everywhere, who want to know reasons behind such major issues. Not everyone is a sun reader!

Showkat
01-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Salaams

Jzk for the comments, the article is from a newspaper in Denmark which i dont think is pro-Islam.

When an issue is discussed in public extensively it creates interest and curiosity and people want to find out for themselves which is the casew ith Islam now.

Pk_#2
01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by England
I don't quite believe this article at all. This article probably comes from a pro-Islamic source which is trying to send out the false message that non-muslims are "embracing," or stepping closer to "embrace Islam."
I wouldn't take much notice in this or any alike.
Your so boring, i know your gonna try it, I KNOW! :rollseyes

Btw Qur'an*

Koran............ :-[

Fishman
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
:sl:
I actually think the Qurans were being gift-wrapped because Eid fell near Christmas this year.
:w:

sudais1
01-02-2007, 05:38 PM
inshaAllah there buying of Allah's book is for good intention

rubiesand
01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
The same story at Jyllands-Posten.

Would you like to tell us Jyllands-Posten is a pro-Islamic source? LOL

England
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
The same story at Jyllands-Posten.

Would you like to tell us Jyllands-Posten is a pro-Islamic source? LOL
Je ne sais pas. Je n'ai jamais entendu parler d'eux.

Pk_#2
01-02-2007, 06:10 PM
What she meant was, would you like to tell us *in english*...

rubiesand
01-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Obviously not, since they are not so easily dismissed as your imagined 'pro-Islamic source'.

England
01-02-2007, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
Obviously not, since they are not so easily dismissed as your imagined 'pro-Islamic source'.
I don't read the Dutch media. I've never heards of that Jilians Posten thingy in my life so it's difficult for me to answer but it's not happening here.

Woodrow
01-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't read the Dutch media. I've never heards of that Jilians Posten thingy in my life so it's difficult for me to answer but it's not happening here.
Jilian Posten is the news agency that pugblished the notorious cartoon series. A very anti-Islamic agency.

SUMMAYAH
01-02-2007, 06:40 PM
SubhanAllah. When I hear of something like this I always remember one of my favourite verse from the Quran:
'and they plan, and Allah also plans and Allah is the best of all planners...'

Even when all the nikaab hype was going on when Jack Straw asked a woman in his surgery to remove her veil so he could talk to her face-to-face, It just encouraged more women to wear the veil...

Pk_#2
01-02-2007, 06:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH
SubhanAllah. When I hear of something like this I always remember one of my favourite verse from the Quran:
'and they plan, and Allah also plans and Allah is the best of all planners...'

Even when all the nikaab hype was going on when Jack Straw asked a woman in his surgery to remove her veil so he could talk to her face-to-face, It just encouraged more women to wear the veil...
yeah, you see soo many niqaabi's dese days :)

Which is a good thing...yea?

Vishnu
01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Interesting story

north_malaysian
01-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Are there any differences between Ahmadiyyat Islam translation of Quran (as Madsen is said to be an Ahmadi) and the mainstrean translation of Quran?

Umar001
01-05-2007, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Are there any differences between Ahmadiyyat Islam translation of Quran (as Madsen is said to be an Ahmadi) and the mainstrean translation of Quran?

I guess one translation of a word would be the ones about Jesus peace be upon him, Ahmediyya would say 'I will cause you to die' the normal ones would say 'I will raise you' or 'take you' or something as such.

Woodrow
01-05-2007, 01:48 AM
Way back when I was studying comtemporary religions, I met a few people that claimed to be Ahmadi and they used the same Pickthall translation of the Qur'an, as used by many English speaking Muslims.

However, they also followed additional texts that they considered to be valid hadith although of recent origin.

Skillganon
01-05-2007, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Way back when I was studying comtemporary religions, I met a few people that claimed to be Ahmadi and they used the same Qur'an. However, they also followed additional texts that they considered to be valid hadith although of recent origin.
Your talking about the Qadiani/Ahmadi. Same people.

I think you can find them in the sectarian thread.

Malaikah
01-05-2007, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I actually think the Qurans were being gift-wrapped because Eid fell near Christmas this year.
:sl:

Oh, smart, you might be on to something.

I just hope the thing is footnoted, so they can't take verses out of context like people always do!:exhausted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.