/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mosque or Masjid

Nakisai
07-03-2005, 11:33 PM
which one is the right one ??? :sister: some one told me that we should not said or write Mosque. but we should say and writeMasjid. :thumbs_up

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
07-04-2005, 12:01 AM
:sl:
Masjid is the arabic word, and therefore is the more correct term. Mosque is the anglicized version.

Some people think that Mosque is derived from the spanish word for mosquitos (because the spanish wished to stamp out the Muslims Masajid like little Mosquitos) but linguists say this is an urban myth. The Oxford American Dictionary states under the entry "mosque":
ORIGIN late Middle English : from French mosquée, via Italian and Spanish from Egyptian Arabic masgid.

Khalid Ahmed states:
English etymology makes it clear that mosque came into English in the 17th century from Italian moschea and French mosquee. The resemblance with mosquito is accidental. Mosquito came from Spanish as a derivative of mosca (fly). (SOURCE)

And Allah knows best.
:w:

Muezzin
07-04-2005, 01:20 PM
I tend to use Mosque and Masjid interchangably. When talking to Western people, I tend to use the word 'Mosque' since it's easier for them to say. When talking with fellow Muslims, I use the word 'Masjid'. I don't think it's really any great point of contention. As long as the meaning is the same, it's all good. :brother:

------
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
:salamext:

*BUMP

Jazaak Allaah Khayr bro Ansar Al Adl :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
adeeb
01-25-2008, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I tend to use Mosque and Masjid interchangably. When talking to Western people, I tend to use the word 'Mosque' since it's easier for them to say. When talking with fellow Muslims, I use the word 'Masjid'. I don't think it's really any great point of contention. As long as the meaning is the same, it's all good. :brother:
agree!!

:D:thankyou::thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.