/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol consumption

Anique
01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello.

I have a topic I would like to discuss; I have numbered my arguments so it will be easier for you to answer back.

1)Alcohol is haraam in Islam because of many things, it is considered an intoxicant, it is considered to mess up the brain and body. Although 'Social' drinkers, people who drink occasionally show no signs of committing acts such as rape, murder, suicide, as well as bodily harm (as well as mental)

2.) Muslims say “Alcohol is of no use to a person, therefore we should not drink it” Although this pragmatic way of tackling the topic is logically correct, a person can find many faults. First of all low assumptions of alcohol kill bacteria and may prevent water born diseases. And what about the WORST CASE scenario if you are in a cold place, and need alcohol to warm you up? Medicinal uses as well (I know this is allowed, so I’ll let this pass as a footnote) Okay, the biggest argument for number 2. What about cooking uses for alcohol? Chocolate, steak, duck? All these foods definitely taste better with a little bit of wine. I mean there’s no harm in it right? We’re not going to put 2 bottles of wine on one steak and call it a dinner; we have more control over our bodies. (see argument 4)

3.) I have heard this argument before regarding alcohol consumption in Islam; “All alcoholics were first ‘Social Drinkers’ Given this is common sense, and is in fact true, it is despicably non-plausible. That is like saying all murderers were once babies, therefore being born is haraam! (this does sound a bit exaggerated and stupid, but this is exactly what the statement brings on) There is no way to tell what baby will turn out to be what kind of man or women, as there is no way to tell the future of a social drinker. (See next argument )

4.) Another reason why alcohol is haraam is because it may cause you to commit a crime such as murder, rape, suicide etc. Now as I mentioned before, these statements the society of Muslims put forth are the WORST CASE SCENARIOS, such as you might become an alcoholic or you might kill somebody etc. These are no different from arguments such as “do not eat sugar, it will get you fat” “do not go on the computer, you eyes will go bad” I mean these are all the worst case scenarios, yet we all manage to control ourselves not to let any of these things happen. Could we not control ourselves while drinking? I know your argument will be ‘yes but you cannot control yourself while you are drunk’, but why would we be drunk in the first place? We would not drink that much to let it get to our head; we would use some beverages in our cooking, or a drink with some food. Also the ‘you might commit a murder or something of the same sort’ statement basically says ‘do not drink or you will do something you regret’ which is false because this totally depends on your psychological characteristics. I mean if a person was to drink and commit a murder, he probably was already going to commit the murder, but looked at the alcohol as an excuse. Now do not mistake me, I am not justifying the means for taking a life, but merely stating the fundamental facts, that somehow we Muslims forgot to consider.

Thank you to whoever reads this for taking the time. Just because I state these facts does not make me a non-believer nor an alcoholic, I have not encountered alcohol beverages in the way some of you may think. I am sorry for the length of this post, but this is what I had to say

-Anique

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
01-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I am certain there are very valid reasons Allah(swt) made alcohol haram. But, because I can not tell you does not mean there is no reason.

I have one main reason why we should not partake in the use of alcohol.

1. Allah(swt) has made it haram for us.

That one simple phrase out weighs any and all arguements as to how we can justify the use of it.

Allah(swt) did not tell use we can't drink it because it is bad for us. He(swt) did not tell us we can not use it because it is a morality issue. He(swt) did not tell us we can not use it because it will cause problems.

He(swt) told us it is haram. We really have no need to know any more than that. We can come up with reasons to understand why he made it haram. But, that is not necessary. All we need to do is understand Allah(swt) says it is haram.

I do not KNOW why it is haram. I can see some good reasons why it is. But, I do not KNOW why Allah(swt) made it haram.

One thing I have learned in life. If you have a job and you do not do as the boss tells you to, you get fired. We may not understand why the boss wants things done as he says, but he has valid reasons.

We were all born into a job. We have inherited a very important job and we were all given the skills to perform that job. Our job is to Worship Allah(swt). Allah(swt) is our boss and he does have the ability to fire us. This is one job I would not risk getting fired over, just because I do not understand why the boss made a rule.

Mawaddah
01-03-2007, 05:03 PM
:sl:

Masha'allah Bro Woodrow, really good explanation there.

It matches almost exactly with what I heard from a talk that the Sheikh Albani (rahimahullah) gave.

Some things we just dont know why Allah made haram, as for alcohol then there are obvious reasons why it is Haram, besides it being a tool of the Shaytaan to cause enmity and harm amongst Muslims as Allah says:

"Shaytaan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants and gambling and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from your Prayers so will you not then abstain?" (Al-Maidah verse 91)

Also, remember the Qa'idah (principle) of fiqh : Ma Haruma Katheeruhu Fa Haruma Qaleeluhu, Which means, Those things which are Haram in large amounts, then they are Haram in small amounts. No need to say that , well, a person can controll himself when he drinks alcohol and he will not allow himself to get drunk. Yes it's possible for a person to do this, but the simple Ruling is that :

Allah said it is Haram so it is Haram.Period.

:w:

'Abd al-Baari
01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
^^^^^
salams i totally agree
if Allah has made alcohol haram then itis haram, no ifs or buts besides-

Alcohol use increases the risk of a number of diseases: fatty degeneration of the liver, infection of the liver, liver cirrhosis , sleeping disorders, sexual problems, infection of the esophagus, infection of the stomach, infection of the pancreas, premature dementia, varying from a reduction of memory to the serious syndrome of Korsakoff; cancer of the mouth, throat, larynx, intestines and breasts; hypertension and heart problems. Alcohol is also damaging during pregnancy.

Alcohol plays an important role in aggression. 40% of all incidents involving aggression occur while under the influence of alcohol. The police spend 22% of their time on cases involving alcohol. Violence on the streets and domestic violence while under the influence of alcohol happen often.

Also at work, alcohol has big consequences. 13% of all employees on sick leave have alcohol problems. Employees with alcohol problems produce at least 10% less work than their colleagues.

Alcohol can make people irresponsible; for example, getting pregnant in circumstances where they are not able to care for a child.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Maarya
01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
salam,
i totally agree with everyone. whatever alcohol is and whatever it does, it doesnt matter. Allah forbids us to drink it so thats what we do without question

- Qatada -
01-03-2007, 05:23 PM
:salamext:

They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." And they ask you what they ought to spend. Say: "That which is beyond your needs." Thus Allah makes clear to you His Laws in order that you may give thought." (Qur'an 2:219)

Ibn Kathir [a famous quranic scholar says regarding this verse]

(Say: In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men.)
As for the harm that the Khamr and gambling cause, it effects the religion. As for their benefit, it is material, including benefit for the body, digesting the food, getting rid of the excrements, sharpening the mind, bringing about a joyous sensation and financially benefiting from their sale. Also, (their benefit includes) earnings through gambling that one uses to spend on his family and on himself. Yet, these benefits are outweighed by the clear harm that they cause which affects the mind and the religion. This is why Allah said:

[وَإِثْمُهُمَآ أَكْبَرُ مِن نَّفْعِهِمَا]

(...but the sin of them is greater than their benefit.)

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=2&tid=5762

Woodrow
01-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Sister Muwaddah and Brother Abdullah you both gave some very good reasons why Allah(swt) made it haram for our benefit.

But, like we also agree on. The only reason we need, is Allah(swt) said it is haram.

No further reason is needed. It is simple and very precise. It is haram.

But, like small children we want to question. Allah(swt) in his mercy has allowed us some insight as to why He(swt) made it haram. But, if we are mature, obediant servents, we would have no reason to ask why. The fact we question the validity of something being haram indicates we are looking for a reason to say it does not apply to us.

Anique
01-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I respect your posts, and am glad I got a reply that quick. Thank you,to all that answered.

I mean I dont drink, Why? Simply because I was told not to by higher authority.

These were a series of questions that had been on my chest for a while and had to get out. I know Islam is my religion, and if I could choose any other, I would not, I love it, I love worshiping Allah, I follow his commands to the best of my ability. But is it haraam to question? I mean its human nature to question what we've been taught. That is the reason Socrates got executed, because he was teaching others to question.

I am 17 years old, and as mentioned, have a lot to learn.
Once again, for all that answer, Thank you.

skhalid
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Anique
I respect your posts, and am glad I got a reply that quick. Thank you,to all that answered.

I mean I dont drink, Why? Simply because I was told not to by higher authority.

These were a series of questions that had been on my chest for a while and had to get out. I know Islam is my religion, and if I could choose any other, I would not, I love it, I love worshiping Allah, I follow his commands to the best of my ability. But is it haraam to question? I mean its human nature to question what we've been taught. That is the reason Socrates got executed, because he was teaching others to question.

I am 17 years old, and as mentioned, have a lot to learn.
Once again, for all that answer, Thank you.
Marshallah....Keep up the good work...and as long as Allah has forbade us to consume on alcohol, then there is no need to question his judgement, we just follow the rules that He has set us, after all Allah is the only ONE that deserves to be worshipped by His creations....no one else has the rite to this. Thanks thats all I have to say 4 the time being!!!:D

- Qatada -
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM
:salamext:

I heard in a lecture by Yahya Ibrahim that we can question, but before questioning - we should still have that belief firm in your heart. And he gave the example of Ibraheem (peace be upon him) who asked Allaah if he could see the how Allaah brings the creation back to life, Allaah asked him, do you not believe? Prophet Ibraheem (peace be upon him) said yeah i do, but i want to see this just to reassure my heart. So Allaah allowed him to see the miracle.

You've mentioned the benefits of alcohol in your first post, and Allaah says in the Qur'an that there are benefits for it, but the sin outweighs that. So you know.. that's kinda agreeing with what you said in a way, and its showing that its still not permitted for us. Anyway, Allaah knows best.

Woodrow
01-03-2007, 05:54 PM
But is it haraam to question?
We are encourged to question.

We do not accept anything without some understanding. Quite simply, I know enough to convince me that Allah(swt) is the one true God(swt). I questioned that many times. Now, that I am satisfied I know that to be true, I have no reason to question further.

The important question to answer is to find reason you know Allah(swt) to be the one true God(swt). Then you will know What Allah(swt) says is right even if only he knows why.

I trust Allah's(swt) decisions and know that they are true even when I do not know all of the whys.

So in application to your question. Why is Alcohol haram? The answer is because Allah(swt) said it is? To your question as to why he made it haram? The answer is we really do not need to know, we only need to know that he made it haram.

The only real question would be: Did Allah(swt) say Alcohol is haram? The answer to that is Yes. (read Brother Fi's post above)

Woodrow
01-03-2007, 06:11 PM
There is one confusing aspect about alcohol. Not everybody has the same tolerance level for it. Some people can drink a considerable amount with no visible effects, they appear to be immune to it. Other people have very low tolerance and the smallest possible amount is sufficient to have drastic effect. Allah(swt) is fair. He is not going to set up rules unless they apply to all.

The rules are not selective on a personal basis. If one person needs to abide by them, we all need to abide by them. Stop and think, if alcohol was not harmfull to all people except for one person, would it be fair for him to say "Alcohol is halal for everybody, except Mr. Blank-blank, for him it is haram."

For fairness it would be haram to all people, not just to one.

SUMMAYAH
01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
All the things that are forbidden in Islam have a very worthwhile reason behind them. It's just sad that some people learn the hard way!

ehmad
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
All Praise is due to Allah, Lord of the world, Master of the Day of Judgement and Peace and Blessing be upon our Beloved Prophet Muhammad, His family and Companions.

Dear Brother in Islam, with regards to the question you posted, I have come a cross with certain Article on the Internet and I have picked the Phrase concerning Alcohol consumtion and it's prohibition by Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'alah.

Imam Ahmad narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) came to Madinah at a time when people were drinking wine and earning money by means of gambling. When they asked the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) about that the following verse was revealed: "They ask you (O Muhammad (peace be upon him) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit"" (2:219) When this verse was revealed, people understood that the verse did not include a clear prohibition, rather it illustrated the harms and the sins incurred by them both. They continued drinking alcohol till a day when a man from the immigrants led the Maghrib (sunset) prayer and, having drunk alcohol, committed a lot of mistakes in recitation. Then, another verse, which is somehow more strict than the above was revealed. Allah [may He be Glorified] said: "O you who believe! Approach not As-Salât (the prayer) when you are in a drunken state until you know (the meaning) of what you utter)." (4:43) People continued to drink alcohol except before prayers, in order to come to the prayer in full senses. Then the following verse was revealed: "O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansâb, and Al-Azlâm (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaitân's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allâh and from As-Salât (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?". (5:90)

When this last verse was revealed all the Muslims said: "We abstain O our Lord". Some people asked the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) about the condition of those who were used to drink alcohol and practice gambling and died before that prohibition. Then, the following verse was revealed: "Those who believe and do righteous good deeds, there is no sin on them for what they ate (in the past), if they fear Allâh (by keeping away from His forbidden things), and believe and do righteous good deeds, and again fear Allâh and believe, and once again fear Allâh and do good deeds with Ihsân (perfection). And Allâh loves the good-doers)." (5:93) Thereupon, the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said to his Companions: "If it was made unlawful for them they would have abstained from them as you did." [Musnad Al-Imam Ahmad, 2/351,352]. On the authority of Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that he was the cupbearer in the house of Abu Talhah. When alcohol was prohibited, an announcer was ordered (by the Prophet) to declare its prohibition among people. Abu Talhah asked Anas to go out to investigate the matter. When Anas told him about the prohibition of alcohol, Abu Talhah ordered Anas to spill all the alcohol they had. Anas said that the streets of Madinah were streaming with alcohol because all the people spilt out their alcohol, which was known as Fadîkh. Some people talked about the fate of those who died before it was made unlawful and used to drink it. Then, this verse was revealed: "Those who believe and do righteous good deeds, there is no sin on them for what they ate (in the past), if they fear Allâh (by keeping away from His forbidden things), and believe and do righteous good deeds, and again fear Allâh and believe, and once again fear Allâh and do good deeds with Ihsân (perfection)." (5:93)

From all what is said above we can conclude that the prohibition of alcohol was made gradually in three stages. The first stage was when this verse was revealed: "They ask you (O Muhammad (peace be upon him) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit"" (2:219). Though this was not a decisive prohibition, those of strong faith managed to give up drinking alcohol. Then, 'Umar bin Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "O Allah give us a decisive ruling regarding alcohol". Then, this verse was revealed: "O you who believe! Approach not As-Salât (the prayer) when you are in a drunken state until you know (the meaning) of what you utter." (4:43) Afterwards, Muslims continued drinking alcohol and only avoided it at the times they apprehended that the effect of intoxication would last till the time of prayer. Then, 'Umar bin Al-Khattab said: "O Allah give us a decisive ruling regarding alcohol". Then these two verses were revealed: "O you who believe! Intoxicants (all kinds of alcoholic drinks), and gambling, and Al-Ansâb, and Al-Azlâm (arrows for seeking luck or decision) are an abomination of Shaitân's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all) that (abomination) in order that you may be successful. Shaitân (Satan) wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with intoxicants (alcoholic drinks) and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allâh and from As-Salât (the prayer). So, will you not then abstain?" (5:90) Upon listening to these two verses, 'Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) said: "We have abstained."

The aim of gradual legislation was to purify the Muslim Nation from all the bad traditions and abominable habits that opposed the law of Allah and to perfect the Muslims with the virtues of forgiveness, patience, selflessness, love, trust, kind treatment of the neighbours, justice and many other good qualities.

Allah [may He be Glorified] is the sole Legislator for His servants. He [may He be Glorified] said: "The decision is only for Allâh, He declares the truth, and He is the Best of judges." (6:57) It is worth mentioning that He only legislates that which benefits people and bring about goodness and happiness in this world and in the Hereafter, regardless of whether the wisdom behind the legislation is perceived or not.

The Holy Qur'an is the first source for legislation, while the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is the second source. The scholars unanimously agreed on the authority of the Sunnah as a source of legislation beside the Holy Qur'an. Allah [may He be Glorified] said: "O you who believe! Obey Allâh and obey the Messenger (Muhammad (peace be upon him) and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allâh and His Messenger (peace be upon him), if you believe in Allâh and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination)." (4:59). In another verse Allah [may He be Glorified] said: "With clear signs and Books (We sent the Messengers). And We have also sent down unto you (O Muhammad (peace be upon him)) the Dhikr (reminder and the advice (i.e. the Qur'ân)] that you may explain clearly to men what is sent down to them, and that they may give thought." (16:44). In a third place He [may He be Glorified] said: "And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad (peace be upon him)) gives you, take it; and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it). And fear Allâh; verily, Allâh is Severe in punishment." (59:7)

CONCLUSION:

Thus Allah has forbade us but the reasons are with Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'alah and it is not in our best to justify the reason but to say we have abstained. I hope it helped and am really sorry if the reply is too time consuming, just thought of clarifying your doubts.

SOURCES:

http://www.qurancomplex.org/infoquran.asp

Jazakumullahu khair

skhalid
01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
:phew that took a while to read...marshallah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-06-2007, 04:48 PM
you can check out this article too, InshAllah :)

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...ce%2FHSELayout

Manu
01-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi
wabarakaathu

yes,i also agree with all the replies.Also all the rules and restrictions that have been made in islam have definite reason,it just takes time 4 people to understand why it has been made.
For example:pig meat has been made haram 4 all muslims.When prophet muhammed(saw) told all muslims at that time that pig meat has been made haram 4 them,they didn't ask why.But today we know(or have)reasons why it is not good for our health.(pigs eat waste materials that contain tapeworms which live as a host in the pigs body. Thus the meat of the pig contains these worms that once get inside our stomach it gets attached to the wall of the stomach and feed on the food we eat.The worm grow and we will have seveir stomach ache. Heating and cooking doesn't kill all the worms.This is just one of the reason.But we dont need this reason or any other,we just obey Allah.Similarly if we look into the world we can see the harmful effects of alcohole and other reasons r waiting to be found out.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.