PDA

View Full Version : Significance of Sheep/Lambs Blood?



Ninth_Scribe
01-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Something tells me I should know this one, but I don't. It's been mentioned in Judaism, Christianity and Islam, but it's the kind of subject I like to store in the dark corners of my mind. Then, during the protests that erupted over Hussein's execution, I saw it again, so I guess it's a reminder to get the answer while it's still fresh in everyone's minds. What's the deal with the lambs blood?

It strikes me as something of great importance (heaven only knows why).

Ninth Scribe
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Shadow
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Lamb's blood? as in the blood after they do the slaughter? well, that blood has no importance, its just lamb's blood. The sacrifice is what is important and the distribution of the meat.

As always, please feel free to correct me. I am not a scholar.
Reply

skhalid
01-03-2007, 06:32 PM
You might remember that Prophet Ibrahim was asked by Allah to sacrifice his son Ismael to show how commited to God, as he was about to carry out the task, God stopped him and asked him to sacrifice a lamb that was near by, and so since then many muslims have followed this example that was accomplished by such an Important prophet, who was going to sacrifice the life of his son on the command from his Lord, our God ( Allah) subhanahu wataalah
Reply

skhalid
01-03-2007, 06:34 PM
The meat is more important than the blood, as far as I know...but the sacrifice is the most important of all!!!
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Ninth_Scribe
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Shadow
Lamb's blood? as in the blood after they do the slaughter? well, that blood has no importance, its just lamb's blood. The sacrifice is what is important and the distribution of the meat.

As always, please feel free to correct me. I am not a scholar.
Blood, specifically is mentioned in these books. The most popular by far is found in the Jewish records, which report that Moses decreed his people to paint lamb's blood on the doors of their houses, presumably so the Angel of Death would know to avoid them. In Christian literature, lamb's blood is mentioned as well and the most recent depiction was the men who were wearing Sheep's blood on their hands during the protest of Hussein's execution.

It was this recent event that tied all the other records together into one giant question-mark.

Does anyone know?

Ninth Scribe
Reply

Shadow
01-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
Blood, specifically is mentioned in these books. The most popular by far is found in the Jewish records, which report that Moses decreed his people to paint lamb's blood on the doors of their houses, presumably so the Angel of Death would know to avoid them. In Christian literature, lamb's blood is mentioned as well and the most recent depiction was the men who were wearing Sheep's blood on their hands during the protest of Hussein's execution.

It was this recent event that tied all the other records together into one giant question-mark.

Ninth Scribe
There might be a relation and importance to the blood, but from my knowledge, the importance is not from an Islamic point of view as our beliefs dont speak of lamb's blood to have a significance.

Maybe its a cultural thing. :p
Reply

duskiness
01-03-2007, 08:53 PM
blood is such a huge subject! It is one of oldest and most powerful symbols we have.
It also plays important role in Christianity - but here it was Jesus who was Lamb of God, whose blood was shed for salvation of many
Reply

Ninth_Scribe
01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Shadow
There might be a relation and importance to the blood, but from my knowledge, the importance is not from an Islamic point of view as our beliefs dont speak of lamb's blood to have a significance.

Maybe its a cultural thing. :p
Well, from what I can tell the photo was a message of sorts. Those Sunnis had just done 'something' and this was their way of announcing that. I get the feeling that what was done is very important - and it had little to do with Saddam Hussein.

Guess I'll have to drag out the old books again!

Ninth Scribe
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 11:22 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 08:56 AM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 04:18 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!