/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The US-backed invasion of Somalia to topple its Islamists is oppressive, illegal act

Goku
01-04-2007, 04:22 PM
International lawlessness

The US-backed invasion of Somalia to topple its Islamists is a dangerous, illegal act of aggression

Undeterred by the horrors and disasters in Iraq, Afghanistan and Lebanon, the Bush administration has opened another battlefront in the Muslim world. With US backing, Ethiopian troops have invaded Somalia in an illegal war of aggression.

But this brazen US-sponsored bid to topple the popular Islamists who had brought Somalia its first peace and security in 16 years has already begun to backfire. Looting has forced the transitional government to declare a state of emergency. Clan warlords, who had terrorised Somalia until they were driven out by the Islamists this year, have begun carving up the city once again. And the African Union, which helped create the transitional government, has called for the immediate withdrawal of Ethiopian forces from the country, as did Kenya, a close US and Ethiopian ally.

They had little choice: the invasion was a clear violation of international law and a UN security council resolution, which the US itself pushed through earlier this month, that explicitly forbade troops from any neighbouring country from joining even the new peace-keeping force it authorised for Somalia. That still did not prevent the Bush administration from issuing a strong statement of support for the Ethiopian offensive.

As with Iraq in 2003, the US has cast this as a war to curtail terrorism. The real goal of course is to gain a direct foothold in another highly strategic and oil rich region by installing a client regime in Somalia. The US had already been violating the UN arms embargo on Somalia by supporting the warlords who drove out the UN peace-keepers in 1993 by killing 18 US soldiers, in order to push out the Islamists. That effort failed and an Ethiopian invasion remained the only way to oust a group with popular support. All independent experts warned against such a war, saying it would destabilise the region.

Ethiopia itself is highly unstable. Thought of as a Christian nation, it has a sizeable Muslim population which has begun to assert itself after marginalisation in the power structure. Prime Minister Meles Zenawi heads a dictatorial regime which has held on to power with US support after losing last year's elections. But this war, unlike its conflict with Eritrea, will not unify the country behind Meles.

To achieve its goals, the US once again ensnared the UN security council, which cravenly adopted a resolution which will further cement its reputation as an anti-Muslim body. It authorised a regional peace-keeping force to enter Somalia to protect the weak and isolated transitional government and "restore peace and stability". But all major international news organisations had reported that the country experienced this year its first respite from the utter lawlessness and terror that prevailed since 1991. A multilateral force was suddenly deemed necessary only because it was the Islamists that had brought about this stability - and they had done so not through violence but primarily through rallying people to their side by creating law and order through the application of sharia law, which Somalis universally practise.

The Islamists are not angels. But their collective pool of terror acts is dwarfed by the terrorism of the warlords that the US has been supporting in blatant violation of the UN arms embargo.

The US has every right to be concerned about terror. But the best anti-dote to terrorism in Somalia is stability, which the Union of Islamic Courts provided. The Islamists have strong public support, which has grown in the face of US and Ethiopian interventions. As in other Muslim-western conflicts, the way to secure peace is to engage with the Islamists to ensure that they have no reason to turn to terror.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...980198,00.html

This is outrageous. The Islamic Courts bring peace after years of war and lawlessness, and the US drives them out using Ethiopia, where was the US when warlords were wreaking havoc in Somalia...thats right, supporting them.

Fortunately, the American people have cut the wings of that evil Bush administration which once again is causing deaths and destruction in a poorer country.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
brenton
01-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm torn over this, since the Union of Islamic Courts might be able to bring peace with a sword when peace hasn't worked otherwise. I also distrust Ethiopia's oil interest and waterway interest.

On the other hand, I'm not sure in the long run a bully UIC gov would be good, despite the inneffective UN backed gov there. I just don't know.

I do know that some Canadians were arrested at the Kenyan border and given amnesty. We'll see if they disappear into the torture machine or back into the resistance, or just come home and work at McDonalds.

Akil
01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
The invasion was not supported by the US militarily or monetarily. The US has simply not scolded the Ethiopians (and if I am wrong about this I ask that you prove so).

In the United Nations there are two ways to declare war. The first is by act of the UN Security Counsel. The second is self-defense.

The Bush doctrine of preemptive self-defense has allowed UN member countries to do the same. All the Ethiopians have to do is spell out in legalese that the chaos between the Islamists and the government in Somalia was threatening Ethiopia.

brenton
01-05-2007, 12:09 AM
Akil, do you have an concerns about Ethipia's reason to invade, or do you think it was at Somalian request? On CBC's the Current last week, then had two Somalians on, each arguing a different position. Both seemed credible, and on the outside it seemed hard to decide.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Akil
01-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Both seemed credible, and on the outside it seemed hard to decide.
I find it hard to read as well, especially since I am not as informed as I would like to be. So off the cuff I would have to say that this is Africa we are talking about, so chances are greater than not that in any fight between two entities, both are wrong and brutal.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.