/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia is not meant to be an Islamic nation?

north_malaysian
01-05-2007, 02:26 AM
I browsed the wikipedia and found something .... interesting.... that our father of independence, Tunku Abdul Rahman (Malaysia's first Prime Minister) said:

"All talk on Islamic States is just an empty dream. No man in his right sense would accept a nation which bases it political administration on religion, and in a country like Malaysia with its multiracial and multireligious people, there is no room for an Islamic state."

Source: Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al Haj, (1986), Political Awakening, pg. 105, Pelanduk Publications.
ISBN 967-978-136-4

- Any comments?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
If you are a believer it is not, with the help of allah (s.w.t).

Woodrow
01-05-2007, 02:34 AM
The key words here seem to be:

with its multiracial and multireligious people
Under those conditions it is unfeasible to think that the people will accept the rules of any given religion. Any attempt to impose the rules of any one religion would result in civil war.

For a true Islamic State to exist all of the people within it would have to be Muslim.

Skillganon
01-05-2007, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The key words here seem to be:

Under those conditions it is unfeasible to think that the people will accept the rules of any given religion. Any attempt to impose the rules of any one religion would result in civil war.

For a true Islamic State to exist all of the people within it would have to be Muslim.
Assalamu alaikum.

Not really. One has to look back to the time of the revelation and the seerah of the prophet, the companions e.t.c. Especially refer back to the Quran and the sunnah.

EDIT: I know what you are trying to say, but let's not say it is impossible if everyone is not muslim, or one should not.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
01-05-2007, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Assalamu alaikum.

Not really. One has to look back to the time of the revelation and the seerah of the prophet, the companions e.t.c. Especially refer back to the Quran and the sunnah.
That is true. But the people accepted Islam and than the Islamic rule was able to flourish. At the moment the majority of the people,in Malaysia, are not willing to accept Islamic rule and their hearts need to change before it can be implimented.

we can teach Islam to people, but we can not make them believe it.

Skillganon
01-05-2007, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is true. But the people accepted Islam and than the Islamic rule was able to flourish. At the moment the majority of the people,in Malaysia, are not willing to accept Islamic rule and their hearts need to change before it can be implimented.

we can teach Islam to people, but we can not make them believe it.
That is part of Islamic rule, shariah and status of the non-muslim.

Anyway I edited the post as I know what you are trying to say, and I agree one needs to give dawah.

Muslim Knight
01-05-2007, 03:01 AM
Those who "originally" fought for the independence of Malaya (as it was known then) were nationalists, not Islamists. Instead, Islamists who fought for the "independence" of Malaya and eventual establishment of of an Islamic state were given nothing more than a mere nod, a passing eye remark and a tiny recognition in today's secondary schoolchildren history textbook. People like Dr. Burhanuddin Helmi, Yusuf Rawa (and those who have links with Ikhwanul Muslimin) have died in the struggle against colonialists for the freedom of their country and their dream of an Islamic Tanah Melayu. Nationalists (namely from UMNO) who have acceded to compromises with our former colonial masters, namely the British, on the other hand, were celebrated as freedom fighters and "father of independence".

syilla
01-05-2007, 03:11 AM
:sl:

i have posted article on multireligion country...but i'm not sure in which section :hiding:

and i kind of agree with the article...which said that it is impossilbe to create a multireligion country...it will create more conflict.

got to go and search the thread....if i really have the time. Don't wait for me!!

wassallam.

Skillganon
01-05-2007, 03:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:sl:

i have posted article on multireligion country...but i'm not sure in which section :hiding:

and i kind of agree with the article...which said that it is impossilbe to create a multireligion country...it will create more conflict.

got to go and search the thread....if i really have the time. Don't wait for me!!

wassallam.
Sis it said their is not room for "Islamic state" given the condition not "not about the impossiblity of possibity of multireligion country.

Of course the one's who wan't to oppose it will oppose it, but it is upto us to strive for Islam, and inshallah the condition will change and it will happen.

syilla
01-05-2007, 03:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Sis it said their is not room for "Islamic state" given the condition not "not about the impossiblity of possibity of multireligion country.

Of course the one's who wan't to oppose it will oppose it, but it is upto us to strive for Islam, and inshallah the condition will change and it will happen.
actually...he is among the first person to create a multiracial politics and agendas...(sorry if i explain it in a bad way :-[ ).

try to learn more about him...try google his name. :)

syilla
01-05-2007, 03:33 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...lturalism.html

Alhamdulillah....i found the thread.

lol....i hope ppl read it.

north_malaysian
01-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Malaysia, for nearly 50 years being ruled by the same political party since independence....

Now, I knew that Malaysia is meant to be a secular state (which kind of confirming the rumors saying that British gave independence if Malaysia would be a secular state), but why Tun Mahathir (our 4th Prime Minister) keep insisting that Malaysia is an Islamic nation, and the current Prime Minister with his "Islam Hadhari" (Civilisational Islam) agenda to "islamise" the nation... but the way they admin the nation is just the same policy since independence.

Is Malaysia a facade Islamic nation? No wonder, Malaysians (both Muslims and non Muslims) are confused with the term "Islamic State"...

Skillganon
01-06-2007, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Malaysia, for nearly 50 years being ruled by the same political party since independence....

Now, I knew that Malaysia is meant to be a secular state (which kind of confirming the rumors saying that British gave independence if Malaysia would be a secular state), but why Tun Mahathir (our 4th Prime Minister) keep insisting that Malaysia is an Islamic nation, and the current Prime Minister with his "Islam Hadhari" (Civilisational Islam) agenda to "islamise" the nation... but the way they admin the nation is just the same policy since independence.

Is Malaysia a facade Islamic nation? No wonder, Malaysians (both Muslims and non Muslims) are confused with the term "Islamic State"...
Maybe that is what he longs for.

Muslim Knight
01-06-2007, 11:01 AM

It's just tactic by the nationalist ruling party to gain political mileage and approval from the people. Malays are one of the three major races of Malaysia, and they are predominantly Muslim. It'll be politically costly not to garner their votes and it'll be political suicide to do so without displaying an Islamic image (particularly when the opposition party is displaying a more Islamic image). However, this is changing. Considering the rate of apostasy among Muslim Malays and the rise of social illnesses among the youths, pretty soon they won't be needing to maintain this farce .

The current Prime Minister tries very hard to uphold this Islamic image by portraying himself as a moderate Muslim leader and introducing very "Islamic"-sounding governing concepts "Islam Hadhari". However, one can easily see with the spiritual eye that this is nothing more than to appease the crowd (the Muslim crowd). If you read this article here and look at the picture (caution, picture of moderately Muslim Malaysian Prime Minister in a dinner gala with some non-Muslims without hijab), you'll understand more why the facade you mentioned earlier is difficult to maintain and that Pak Lah's attempts are failing miserably.

starfortress
01-06-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
If you read this article here and look at the picture
I saw that too,in Harakah:-[ as you said it is merely the rulers party tactics to use the Islam word to blurring people eyes.Of course it's would be plesureable having Islam word being attached alongside Malaysia word especially to the senior citizens whose still lives in their oldies memories.But the others facing confusing and distatisfying,:exhausted

Uhh James Bond+o(

north_malaysian
01-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Oh... that Michelle Yeoh pic.... I first saw it in Harakah too....

Wow, so many Malaysians reading harakah here.... are you people members of PAS or pro-PAS?

:-[

north_malaysian
01-08-2007, 04:06 AM
PAS (ISLAMISTS) AND UMNO (NATIONALISTS) PREPARE TO FIGHT FOR A SEAT

RAUB: Ahead of nomination day on Jan 16 for the Batu Talam by-election, both UMNO and PAS are busy getting their operation centres ready.

PAS members were yesterday cleaning up a two-storey wooden house in Batu Talam village, about 30 km from here.

As far as staunch PAS members, like formal army corporal Norlia Osman, 49, are concerned, the battle lines are clearly drawn.

"Lawan tetap lawan(The fight is on). Even though we may not stand a good chance, we will still continue with our struggles.

"The battle is not over without a fight,"
said the father of seven, aged between seven and 22.

About 1km away, UMNO members were also spotted preparing their command centre, a building of concrete and cement.

Led by Batu Talam Wanita UMNO acting chief Salmiah Dollah, they were also making last-minute preparations for a branch meeting to delegate duties.

UMNO Youth deputy chief Khairy Jamaluddin said they have several strategies to help the ruling Barisan Nasional (National Front) retain the state seat, one of which is to hoist party flags all over the constituency.

In Kota Tinggi, Johor, movement Chief Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Tun Hussein said 1,000 members would be sent to Batu Talam for the by-election on Jan 28.

The seat fell vacant following the death of Datuk Tengku Paris Tengku Razlan, 66. He died of cancer on Dec 27.

Source: The Star, 08.01.2007, page N4

syilla
01-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Oh... that Michelle Yeoh pic.... I first saw it in Harakah too....

Wow, so many Malaysians reading harakah here.... are you people members of PAS or pro-PAS?

:-[
i saw it in the net...

but i thought he has misplaced his hand lol

anyway i thought harakah is weird...

north_malaysian
01-08-2007, 04:38 AM
anyway i thought harakah is weird...
why...I think harakah is "liberal" than other newspaper....

syilla
01-08-2007, 05:43 AM
i think because of the advertisements :-[ .

north_malaysian
01-08-2007, 05:59 AM
i think because of the advertisements :-[ .
ok.... me too... especially those who advertise some health products...

Muslim Knight
01-11-2007, 04:21 AM
From my viewpoint, Harakah has been critical of the government. But that is exactly what the current government needs; healthy doses of criticism. Otherwise it will regard everything it does as right and correct.

I am not a supporter of any political parties or ideologies. However, as a Muslim, I have the duty to support, defend and fight for Islam. Whichever party fights for Islam has my vote. But that party must have substance than what is essentially superficial. Rather than painting new colors for highway lighting poles and causing massive traffic jams as a result, I would rather the authorities spend more resources tackling social issues and building infrastructures that would have benefitted the downtrodden. Instead of building a large wheel for people to ride on gondolas and look at the nice view of KL, I would rather they prevent the recent toll & petrol price hikes and ease the burden of the middle- and low-classes. That is what I meant by substance.

north_malaysian
01-11-2007, 04:40 AM
From my viewpoint, Harakah has been critical of the government. But that is exactly what the current government needs; healthy doses of criticism.
Agreed. Just look at the TV stations:

Government-owned (RTM1, RTM2)
UMNO-owned (TV3, NTV7, 8TV, TV9)
Pro-BN owned (Those channels on astro and MiTV)

Just look at the newspaper... MCA, MIC, UMNO have shares in almost all the newspapers..

But there's a little bit of criticism allowed in current PM's era....

I am not a supporter of any political parties or ideologies.
Me too. But my father is a PAS member, and my mum is a Keadilan member. And 90% of my relatives are UMNO supporters.

I would rather the authorities spend more resources tackling social issues and building infrastructures that would have benefitted the downtrodden.
Me too...:enough!:

Instead of building a large wheel for people to ride on gondolas and look at the nice view of KL,
They rent it for RM 30,000,000.00 a year. Yeah, and they rent it just for one year... why they can do this and others money-wasting projects without consulting the public first?

I would rather they prevent the recent toll & petrol price hikes and ease the burden of the middle- and low-classes.
And the rich people who are not affiliated to any BN political parties..

Muslim Knight
01-11-2007, 04:44 AM
And the rich people who are not affiliated to any BN political parties..
Speak for yourself, orang penang... heh heh. ;D ;D

I'm so poor. My study loan hasn't been credited and I'm trying to survive solely on grass right now. Just kiddin'

Bittersteel
01-11-2007, 04:46 AM
we got a similar situation here in Bangladesh,where everything Islamic is equalled to be Pakistani/Taliban/Middle-eastern.

north_malaysian
01-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Speak for yourself, orang penang... heh heh. ;D ;D

I'm so poor. My study loan hasn't been credited and I'm trying to survive solely on grass right now. Just kiddin'
Study loans, PTPTN and stuffs .... when a person graduated from the university automatically he need lots of money to settle his study loan..

Imagine... if those RM30,000,000.00 rent price of that ferris-wheel is given to the students in a public university, it can support 1,000 students (RM30,000 per student)

north_malaysian
01-11-2007, 05:08 AM
PAS (ISLAMISTS) TO BOYCOTT BATU TALAM POLLS

RAUB: PAS (Pan Malaysia Islamic Party) and Parti Keadilan Rakyat (People's Justice Party) last night announced that they will boycott the Batu Talam by-election scheduled for Jan 28.

PAS deputy president Nasharudin Mat Isa said the decision was taken following the discovery of discrepencies in the electoral roll for the constituency.- Bernama

Source: The Star, 11.01.2007, Front Page.

P/S: UMNO members ----------> :D :D :D :D :thumbs_up :D :D :D
Oppostion supporters -----> :enough!: :enough!: :raging: :raging: :raging::enough!::enough!:

Chechnya
01-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I browsed the wikipedia and found something .... interesting.... that our father of independence, Tunku Abdul Rahman (Malaysia's first Prime Minister) said:
i dont know who this fella is but if he did make that comment , he must have been a joke.

north_malaysian
01-12-2007, 01:37 AM
He's a British educated person. Like almost all of our leaders are.

Chechnya
01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
He's a British educated person. Like almost all of our leaders are.
That explains it then :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.