/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ten+2 Questions to Muslims + Christians + Jews

AzizMostafa
01-06-2007, 09:11 AM

According to your religion:
4. How many divisions are there within your religion? Why?
5. Does your religion hold the Sate + Religious Authority separable or inseparable?
6. Could the 2 heads — State + Religious Authority— be One?
8. Should the 2 heads go complementary or in different/opposite directions?
9 Is the Religious Authority allowed to interfere in the State affairs?
10 Is the State allowed to interfere in the affairs of Religious Authority?
11 Who accused the Infallible Mary — Jesus’s Mother— with the unspeakable?
12. Who was responsible for Jesus’s crucifixion?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
brenton
01-06-2007, 02:31 PM
I can respond for my understanding of Biblical Christianity.

1. How many Holy Books are acceptable so far? Which one is more accurate?
I believe that 66 "books" of the Bible are inspired by God and useful for all aspects of Christian life. I believe that other Jewish and non-Jewish writings are helpful to life and contain truth, but are not "inspired" in the same way.

2. Who represents your Religion today? The Body + Head?
In my view, the "head" is Christ; the "body" is the universal Church worldwide. Only the apostles' teaching as recording in the New Testament speak for us. As a worldwide community we read the Bible from our different perspectives. Tradition and Popes and Authors and Priests and Pastors and Evangelists are part of that reading, but contain no special authority except spiritual maturity.

3. Is your Religion changeable? Or was IT Changed? By who + When?
Christianity hasa central biblical core that is recommunicated using different metaphors and restating its myths to each new culture and generation.

Tens of thousands. Christians splinter like fine wood.
Because we have no single theocratic head, Christians have reacted to attempts of some groups to hold that authority by splitting instead of experiencing diversity as a local community.

5. Does your religion hold the Sate + Religious Authority separable or inseparable?
Seperable, although faith is political, and politicians can be faithful (or unfaithful).

Leaders can be Christians, but that does not make them a religious authority. "Christendom" is not helpful to biblical Christianity.

I think power will always corrupt spiritual leadership, and power brokers will use religion for their gains. Look at the Abbasid or the Umayyad dynasties.

The questions are becoming irrelevant to my view, since the two figures are disconnected. But Christian "authority" is biblical, so the faith community should always be critiquing the State.

I hope not.

I don't know what that means.

The Romans. Some Jewish power brokers tried to show influence in that direction--or at least suppressing Jesus' movement. But he was killed by Roman oppressors as many Jews before and after him were.

Re.TiReD
01-06-2007, 02:41 PM

are these questions for muslims too?? ^^^ :rollseyes nah it's not changeable! :offended:

khilafah! :thumbs_up

thats all I trust myself to answer :X :w:

Grace Seeker
01-07-2007, 01:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
I can respond for my understanding of Biblical Christianity.

I believe that 66 "books" of the Bible are inspired by God and useful for all aspects of Christian life. I believe that other Jewish and non-Jewish writings are helpful to life and contain truth, but are not "inspired" in the same way.

In my view, the "head" is Christ; the "body" is the universal Church worldwide. Only the apostles' teaching as recording in the New Testament speak for us. As a worldwide community we read the Bible from our different perspectives. Tradition and Popes and Authors and Priests and Pastors and Evangelists are part of that reading, but contain no special authority except spiritual maturity.

Christianity hasa central biblical core that is recommunicated using different metaphors and restating its myths to each new culture and generation.

Tens of thousands. Christians splinter like fine wood.
Because we have no single theocratic head, Christians have reacted to attempts of some groups to hold that authority by splitting instead of experiencing diversity as a local community.

Seperable, although faith is political, and politicians can be faithful (or unfaithful).

Leaders can be Christians, but that does not make them a religious authority. "Christendom" is not helpful to biblical Christianity.

I think power will always corrupt spiritual leadership, and power brokers will use religion for their gains. Look at the Abbasid or the Umayyad dynasties.

The questions are becoming irrelevant to my view, since the two figures are disconnected. But Christian "authority" is biblical, so the faith community should always be critiquing the State.

I hope not.

I don't know what that means.

The Romans. Some Jewish power brokers tried to show influence in that direction--or at least suppressing Jesus' movement. But he was killed by Roman oppressors as many Jews before and after him were.
Ditto. You spoke better than I.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
brenton
01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
^I don't presume to speak for all Christians, but we share many things in common.

- Qatada -
01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
:salamext:

The Qur'an is the most authentic scripture, and then the books of hadith.

The Messenger of Allaah, Muhammad (peace be upon him.) The true scholars are the inheritors of the prophets, because the prophets leave knowledge.

Nope, the Qur'an is the same as the original and will remain that way. And the sunnah is recorded in books of hadith, it's a whole science so the scholars can figure out which hadith is authentic or not.

The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said:

"Indeed those from before you from the People of the Book divided into seventy-two groups. And, indeed, this group (Muslims) will divide into seventy-three. Seventy-two groups will be in the Hellfire and one of them will be in Paradise. And it is the Jamaa'ah (group)."(recorded in Ahmad)

And in another narration, he (sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) said: "Everyone of them in the Hellfire, except for one group that which I and my companions are upon." (recorded in Tirmidhi)

5. Does your religion hold the State + Religious Authority separable or inseparable?

The state and religious authority work together. It is the states duty to apply the islamic law.

Yep.

Both should work together.

The religious authority and state work hand in hand.

Nope.

can you clarify this please? :)

He wasn't. Jesus (peace be upon him) was raised upto Allaah, and will come back again to slay al-dajjaal - the anti christ.

AzizMostafa
01-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Well, Fi_Sabilillah, Mary(am) was accused of committing the monstrous thing (19:27). Needless to say that anytime+anywhere, the majority of people are manipulated by either the State or Religious Authority or both.
It is not hard to conclude that those who did not welcome the new-born were also behind the (attempt) of crucifixion?! Who was in power then?

rav
01-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Who was in power then?
The Romans.

Grace Seeker
01-07-2007, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AzizMostafa
I see that I was not alone in knowing to what you were referring. Can you clarify please? Of what was Mary accused?

And a second question if I might, do Muslims believe that Mary was infallible? If so, what do you mean by that? Do you mean never made a mistake? Was sinless? Please explicate. Thank-you.

Skillganon
01-07-2007, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
I see that I was not alone in knowing to what you were referring. Can you clarify please? Of what was Mary accused?

And a second question if I might, do Muslims believe that Mary was infallible? If so, what do you mean by that? Do you mean never made a mistake? Was sinless? Please explicate. Thank-you.
I don't know what he mean's by Infallible Mary but I think this might be more of an erronous statement than something that is part of Islam.

Malaikah
01-08-2007, 01:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
I have never heard some one call her infallible. Only the Prophets are infallible when it comes to matters of religion.

Mary, however, is recognised as being the best woman to ever live. That is mentioned in the Quran.

syilla
01-08-2007, 03:26 AM
I think all muslims should answer the questions...

lol...

i will too :hiding: but i've to copy it to word first...

AzizMostafa
01-08-2007, 05:31 AM
Mary(am) was accused of fornication. But she was infallable = Sinless = never made a mistake. That's why she was chosen above all women of the world then.

Malaikah
01-08-2007, 05:43 AM
:sl:

^Everyone, including the Prophet Muhammad pbuh makes mistakes. She wasn't an angel of some kind...

Grace Seeker
01-08-2007, 05:55 AM
Mary(am) was accused of fornication. But she was infallable = Sinless = never made a mistake. That's why she was chosen above all women of the world then.
OK. With that understanding, I can now attempt a better answer of question #11.

I suspect that many of Mary(am)'s neighbors, perhaps even kin, accused her of fornication. In the Christian scriptures it appears that even Joseph had his doubts regarding Mary's purity until God sent an angel to reassure Joseph.

However, while some Roman Catholic Christians would see Mary as sinless (and even perpetually chaste) I would concur with Malaikah's assessment that she was just as capable of sin as any other person. She was righteous, but not perfect.

north_malaysian
01-08-2007, 05:56 AM
So many Holy Books given to Prophets and Messengers, and of course the big 4 - Taurat, Zabur, Injil and Al Qur'an... Al Quran is the final revelation and conclusion of all Holy Books...

... do you mean ... somebody like Pope?:rollseyes ... in Islam, presently ... None.

Nope...

Many..... but whosoever calling himself/herself a Muslim, I'll treat him/her as one... regardless of their beliefs, rituals etc....

hmmmmmmmmmm.... inseparable...?

Why not, I've seen modern people love being multi-tasking

If they have different views they can have a dialogue about it and conclude the best solution for it....

If the State Affairs interfered in religious affairs....

Maybe...

I dont know...

Nobody... as he's not being crucified....

AzizMostafa
01-27-2007, 07:33 AM
> Everyone, including the Prophet Muhammad pbuh makes mistakes. She wasn't an angel of some kind...

Malaikah, please
1. mention one+only one mistake made by Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w)?
2. explain what the 2words "Is6afaki+6a7araki = chosen you, and purified you" in 3:42 of the Glorious Quran mean?
And when the angels said, "Mary(am), God has chosen you, and purified you; He has chosen you above all women * Mary, be obedient to your Lord, prostrating and bowing before Him"..

Idris
01-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Yes, the Prophets and Messengers made mistakes, but Allah did not approve of their mistakes; rather, He pointed out their mistakes as a Mercy to them and their ummahs, and He forgave their mistakes and accepted their repentance as a Grace and Mercy, for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

Firstly: the use of the word “sin” in the question is a grave mistake, because sin is impossible in the case of the Messengers. It is more correct to say mistakes, because a mistake may be made unintentionally, which is not the case with sins.

I think there is no need for me to show you where the Prophet made mistakes.

AzizMostafa
05-17-2007, 05:20 AM
11. Who accused the Infallible Mary — Jesus’s Mother— with the unspeakable?

According to (4:154-158) of the Glorious Quran: The Jews + The Jews.
However, only a likeness of Jesus was shown to them. God raised him up to Him
They took revenge on them only because they believed in God the All-mighty, the the Praised

rav
05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Shalom,

I really hate to break it all to you, but we as Jews do not believe Mary gave birth as a virgin. We believe she did have relations with someone. I am not sure who, but with someone. The belief that a virgin would give birth to some major religious figure is one that is riddled with pagan origins.

- Qatada -
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
:salamext:

Indeed, those who disbelieve in Allah and His messengers and wish to discriminate between Allah and His messengers and say, "We believe in some and disbelieve in others," and wish to adopt a way in between -

They are in truth disbelievers. And We have prepared for the disbelievers a humiliating torment.

And those who believe in Allah and His Messengers and make no distinction between any of them (Messengers), We shall give them their rewards, and Allah is Ever Oft*Forgiving, Most Merciful.

The people of the Scripture (Jews) ask you to cause a book to descend upon them from heaven. Indeed they asked Musa (Moses) for even greater than that, when they said: "Show us Allah in public," but they were struck with thunder clap and lightning for their wickedness. Then they worshipped the calf even after clear proofs, evidences, and signs had come to them. (Even) so We forgave them. And We gave Musa (Moses) a clear proof of authority.

And for their covenant, We raised over them the Mount and (on the other occasion) We said: "Enter the gate prostrating (or bowing) with humility;" and We commanded them: "Transgress not (by doing worldly works on) the Sabbath (Saturday)." And We took from them a firm covenant.

Because of their breaking the covenant, and of their rejecting the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, and of their killing the Prophets unjustly, and of their saying: "Our hearts are wrapped (with coverings, i.e. we do not understand what the Messengers say)" - nay, Allah has set a seal upon their hearts because of their disbelief, so they believe not but a little.

And because of their (Jews) disbelief and uttering against Maryam (Mary) a grave false charge (that she has committed illegal sexual intercourse);

And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed Messiah 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), the Messenger of Allah," - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of 'Iesa (Jesus) was put over another man (and they killed that man), and those who differ therein are full of doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge, they follow nothing but conjecture. For surely; they killed him not [i.e. 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) ]:

But Allah raised him ['Iesa (Jesus)] up (with his body and soul) unto Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allah is Ever All*Powerful, All*Wise.

And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), but must believe in him ['Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), as only a Messenger of Allah and a human being], before his ['Iesa (Jesus) or a Jew's or a Christian's] death (at the time of the appearance of the angel of death). And on the Day of Resurrection, he ['Iesa (Jesus)] will be a witness against them.

[Qur'an 4: 150-159]

Walter
05-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Everyone:

I just thought that I would add to Brenton's efficient response to Question 1.

Q1. How many Holy Books are acceptable so far? Which one is more accurate?

In addition to Brendon's response, please note that the Bible must be read with a fair degree of common sense. As Jesus is the head of the Church, all of His words take precedent along with words attributed to God as recorded by the Prophets. Useful information provided by the Apostles, Prophets and others then follow.

It should be noted not everything spoken by a Prophet or done by a Prophet should be followed. That is where much of the "common sense" reading is useful. Jonah was a Prophet who deliberately disobeyed God. There are many lessons that we can learn from his actions; however, we certainly do not follow him just because he was a Prophet.

The book of Job contains some bad counsel given by Job’s friends; however it is only confirmed by God at the end of the book that the information was incorrect.

The point is that all of the Biblical books are acceptable and accurate, but we should use common sense in deciding what to follow. A common sense understanding can be facilitated by reading the entire Bible from beginning to end rather than reading a few verses here and there.

Regards,
Grenville

rav
05-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Shalom,

I assume it would be wise for me to leave since Muslims and Christians are very sensitive when it comes to the subject of Mary. I was just stating the Jewish belief which the creator of this thread asked.

Grace Seeker
05-17-2007, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rav
Shalom,

I assume it would be wise for me to leave since Muslims and Christians are very sensitive when it comes to the subject of Mary. I was just stating the Jewish belief which the creator of this thread asked.

Nah. That's your view. I would have been surprised if you had had a different one.

And I've already given mine previously, and haven't seen much on this thread to interact with, thus I hadn't bothered posting mutliple times.

The quote from the Qur'an leaves me asking a few questions though
Cursed be the Makers of the Pit * (Of) The fire abounding ((kept burning) in fuel
When they were seated over (sat by) it
They were themselves witnesses of what they did with the believers
They took revenge on them only because they believed in God the All-mighty, the the Praised
AzizMostafa, you say this is regarding an historical event that I had never heard of before, so I was sort of interested in it. But I'm having trouble making sense of the passage from the Qur'an. It uses lots of pronouns "they", "them" but there are no antecedents for those pronouns, so I am not sure if the pronouns refer to the Jews or the Christians, or if some of each. Can you help a little?

Kashnowe
05-17-2007, 11:59 PM
^yeah i second that question! do tell :)

- Qatada -
05-18-2007, 12:09 AM
You can check this out insha Allaah (God willing):

http://www.islamicboard.com/740587-post518.html

Peace.

AzizMostafa
05-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Rav, Shalom, Please, do not leave!
1. Do fathers and/or mothers create children? Or neither?
2. Who created Adam + Eve before, when they were nothing?
3. Is it hard for God to create anything, anywhere + anytime? Or easy?
4. You believe that Mary(am) did have relations with someone ++,
is that why you rejected Jesus prophesy and desired to crucify him?
5. Regarding the Holocaust, how come you know the history back to -6th but not +6th century?

Grace Seeker
05-18-2007, 06:00 AM
AzizMostafa, are you asking these questions just of Rav, or all of us?

rav
05-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Rav, Shalom, Please, do not leave!
1. Do fathers and/or mothers create children? Or neither?
2. Who created Adam + Eve before, when they were nothing?
3. Is it hard for God to create anything, anywhere + anytime? Or easy?
4. You believe that Mary(am) did have relations with someone ++,
is that why you rejected Jesus prophesy and desired to crucify him?
5. Regarding the Holocaust, how come you know the history back to -6th but not +6th century?
Shalom, before I post, I wish to explain that I mean you or your beliefs no disrespect since your beliefs are monotheistic to the best of my knowledge, so I am only explaining my point of view here and not attempting to convince you of anything.

1. That is a very profound question but let me ask you, if the father or the mother are not a part of the process of creating the child will the child be created? But I am sure you have a response so let us move to #2.

2. G-d created Adam and Eve, however, there is a huge difference. An explanation I will give you is that it is written by HaRav Avigdor Miller, zt"l, that although G-d could have done it, but He would not have, because then "wicked women in the future would claim the same thing if they committed adultery". Let me request you to answer an inquiry of mine. Would you believe any women in a Muslim country that condemns pre-marital sex that claimed she had no sexual relations before marriage and it was a “virgin birth”… Why not, can’t G-d do it? If you also wish to advocate that it can only happen once, why can it only happen once then? It is not written anywhere in the scriptures prior to Jesus, that any type of virgin birth would take place. Of course I am sure you will claim it was “corrupted”, which is of course the convenient answer.

3. Of course it is not hard, but then again, G-d is infinite and he can do anything he wants, so how about we go deeper into the nature of G-d, where this is of course all an example. Why couldn’t G-d have lied to Mohammad? Are you suggesting G-d could not have lied? He is infinite and can do whatever he wants right?!? Why can he not have lied to Mohammad?

4. Your interpretation of history is a bit off. The Jews in that era were not in the crucifying business. Jews were commonly crucified. I of course as not there so I have no idea what occurred, but I can interpret history with the facts presented to me. The facts are that a common “miracle” in pagan religion was a “virgin birth”. Here is information that was taken from a website, but please check all of the info if you wish:

He lists a number of Pagan Gods born of virgins: Danae, Melanippe, Auge and Antiope. The stories about these Gods are "ancient," says Origin, but unlike the story of Jesus' virgin birth, only fables. [Origin, Against Celsus 1, 37]

"He was born of a virgin, accept this in common with what you believe of Perseus." [Justin Martyr, First Apology, 22]

According to one story, the Roman Emperor Augustus's mother was worshipping in the temple of Apollo when she fell asleep and was impregnated by the god [Suetonius Lives of the Caesars: Augustus 94] Other examples of virgin born Gods

Krishna was born of the virgin Devaki
Savior Dionysus was born of the virgin Semele.
Buddha too was born of a virgin,
The old Teutonic goddess Hertha was a virgin impregnated by the heavenly Spirit and bore a son.
Scandinavian Frigga was impregnated by the All-Father Odin and bore Balder, the healer and savior of mankind.

Roman Pagan Religion: Attis was a son of the virgin Nana.

5. I do not understand your question about the Holocaust and the centuries, can you be more specific?

AzizMostafa
05-19-2007, 03:37 AM
All in one:
If I witness a new-born fatherless Jew say in the cradle that his/her grandmother had been killed by Hitler, I will believe in the Holocaust and will never suggest that he/she could have lied.

muzna
05-19-2007, 03:48 AM
> Everyone, including the Prophet Muhammad pbuh makes mistakes. She wasn't an angel of some kind...

Malaikah, please
2. explain what the 2words "Is6afaki+6a7araki = chosen you, and purified you" in 3:42 of the Glorious Quran mean?
And when the angels said, "Mary(am), God has chosen you, and purified you; He has chosen you above all women * Mary, be obedient to your Lord, prostrating and bowing before Him"..

Kashnowe
05-19-2007, 03:58 AM
All in one:
If I witness a new-born fatherless Jew say in the cradle that his/her grandmother had been killed by Hitler, I will believe in the Holocaust and will never suggest that he could have lied.
what in the world does this mean? i am completely confused by this statement.

AzizMostafa
05-19-2007, 04:01 AM
Abasa?! that was one of the Companions, not the Prophet.

muzna
05-19-2007, 04:20 AM
i'm sorry? i dont understand...i thought it was the Prophet(peace be upon him) who frowned and turned away
wassalam

rav
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
All in one:
If I witness a new-born fatherless Jew say in the cradle that his/her grandmother had been killed by Hitler, I will believe in the Holocaust and will never suggest that he/she could have lied.

I evidently do not understand the correlation between your statement and the subject of this dialogue. Could you clear up the difficulties I am having in attempting to decipher the relevance of your statement. That way I can answer your question accurately.

Thank you.

- Qatada -
05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Abasa?! that was one of the Companions, not the Prophet.

It was the Prophet of Allaah (peace be upon him.) :)

Peace.

AzizMostafa
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Fi_Sabilillah, that is contrary to what Quran says:
"Surely you (Prophet Mohammed) are upon a mighty morality."
Do you need reference?

- Qatada -
05-22-2007, 03:19 PM
You have different beliefs about the issue, we won't go into sectarian issues insha Allaah. :)

http://tafsir.com

you can check that out if u want.

Peace.

poga
05-22-2007, 04:59 PM

AzizMostafa
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Fi_Sabilillah, Again that contradicts (68:4) :
"Surely you (Prophet Mohammed) are upon a mighty morality ".
And that contradicts (3:159-161) too.
And when you are resolved, put your trust in God; surely God loves those who put their trust
If God helps you, none can overcome you, but if He forsakes you, who then can help you after Him?
Therefore in God let the believers put all their trust
It is not for a prophet to be fraudulent
whoso defrauds shall bring the fruits of his fraud on the Day of Resurrection
Then every soul shall be paid in full what it has earned, and they shall not be wronged
Peace+Flowers

- Qatada -
05-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Aziz, i think you'll realise that it was a blind man so he wouldn't get offended anyway. :)

But we can discuss that another time insha Allaah.

AzizMostafa
05-23-2007, 09:10 PM
If the blind does not see, Allah and the Prophet Compnaions do see.

AzizMostafa
05-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Hope this helps the confused.
http://typophile.com/node/32068?from...ts_per_page=01

Chuck
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Can you be more clear?

- Qatada -
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
The tafsir/explanation is given here:

http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=80&tid=57057

If you want to read it - you can do so insha Allaah.

Peace.

Gangster No.1
05-24-2007, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

^Everyone, including the Prophet Muhammad pbuh makes mistakes. She wasn't an angel of some kind...

what do you mean evryone including prophet muhammad (pbuh) make mistakes?

how and which mistake?:?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.