/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Some help with pronunciation.

brenton
01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
:statisfie Hey, I need some pronunciation help.

In Canada, we stress the first syllable, so we pronounce islam like ISlam, instead of isLAM. So we get it wrong sometimes. :-[

What about Muslim? musLIM sounds funny.
And Allah? alLAH sound strange too.

Is there a general rule?

And is Sheik (as in leader) pronounced like chiq or shake (a "ii" sound or long "a" sound)?
And how do you say Qutb?

I might have more, but help my ignorance!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Hey. I moved it to the arabic section because its more suitable here. :)
I think islaam is like isslaam. [s like snake] and [l like lamb]

Muslim is like Muss [when you say muscle] slim [as in slim/thin]

Allaah is pronounced like Al laah

Sheikh is like Shake except it has a kh at the end [which if pronounced, kinda comes through the throat].

Sheikh has the sound like when the letter A is pronounced in the alphabet. A (aiy)

Qutb is like how it looks. Qut [like cut] and then a quick b after it. Qutb.

If i'm wrong, i'm sorry and someone will correct me inshaa'Allaah.

Peace. :)

brenton
01-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanx for moving the thread to the right place!

brenton
01-09-2007, 02:31 PM
And thank you for the tips. "Kh" is a gutteral like "Bach" in German I guess, or like Hebrew gutterals? I was never good at those.
Is the emphasis on Allah & Muslim on the first syllable or the second?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
And thank you for the tips. "Kh" is a gutteral like "Bach" in German I guess, or like Hebrew gutterals? I was never good at those.

Kh is like the hebrew, maybe like how they say tanakh. Like khams in arabic means 5.. try saying it. Maybe somethings stuck in your throat and you need to take it out, lol thats the best example i can use to explain it.

Is the emphasis on Allah & Muslim on the first syllable or the second?

Allaah has more emphasis on the second syllable.

Muslim has more emphasis on the first.

Peace. :)

brenton
01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Thank you!
brenton

Malaikah
01-15-2007, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
In Canada, we stress the first syllable, so we pronounce islam like ISlam, instead of isLAM. So we get it wrong sometimes. :-[
Isn't the opposite? :D I had a lecturer at university who was Canadian and he mentioned a little joke about his accent. He said that Australians don't know how to pronounce the last letter of a word, where as Canadians emphasis it. So instead of saying watER (with emphasis on the ER), we say something that sounds more like 'wata' ;D So true.

Anyway... on topic...

Check out this site, you can listen to the way to pronounce individual letters:
http://www.madinaharabic.com/Arabic_...Lesson_001.htm

And here is the kh sound:
http://www.madinaharabic.com/Arabic_...es/007_Kha.mp3

Someone once told me that English-speakers often have trouble with Arabic because some letters require the use of muscles that they only ever know how to use when they are vomiting lol. :rollseyes

SUMMAYAH
01-15-2007, 11:12 AM
dear brenton,
I just felt i needed to add this on:
many a times you may hear 'Muzlim' (with a 'z') instead of 'Muslim'
and Izlam intead of Islam.
Please do not follow that example of pronunciation because it had a completely different meaning and is quite offensive.

by the way it's really appreciating to see your making an effort. thankyou.

sevgi
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
ur ignorance is natural and ur willingness to be enligtened is refreshing to me.

thank u so very much.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.