/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Refer to the previous scriptures

seeker_of_ilm
01-08-2007, 09:16 PM
:sl:

I have heard a claim by non-muslims that the following Quranic verses prove that the Quran itself states that the previous scriptures are not corrupted. I was wondering if anyone could just provide an answer, just for my knowledge insha'Allah. Apologies if theres already a thread on this

So if you (O Muhammad SAW) are in doubt concerning that which We have revealed unto you, [i.e. that your name is written in the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] then ask those who are reading the Book [the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] before you. Verily, the truth has come to you from your Lord. So be not of those who doubt (it)

And We sent not before you (O Muhammad SAW) but men to whom We inspired, so ask the people of the Reminder [Scriptures - the Taurat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel)] if you do not know.

And argue not with the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), unless it be in (a way) that is better (with good words and in good manner, inviting them to Islamic Monotheism with His Verses), except with such of them as do wrong, and say (to them): "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you; our Ilah (God) and your Ilah (God) is One (i.e. Allah), and to Him we have submitted (as Muslims)."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hijrah
01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes, we believe in what was revealed to us and what was REVEALED to them, not inserted by them

Umar001
01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Seeker of Ilm are you seriously looking for answers? If so please tell me and I will post my view if not then I'll leave this.

seeker_of_ilm
01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Seeker of Ilm are you seriously looking for answers? If so please tell me and I will post my view if not then I'll leave this.

Originally I posted loads of verses, but most of them I already new the answer to, its just these three mainly that I was wondering if someone could explain it for me insha'Allah. I've cut it down.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Originally I posted loads of verses, but most of them I already new the answer to, its just these three mainly that I was wondering if someone could explain it for me insha'Allah. I've cut it down.

:w:

Wa Aleykum Salam Wa Rhametulah Brother,

Real quick I will just reply from my head then maybe in a couple of days I might be able to give you something more concrete, insha'Allah,

So if you (O Muhammad SAW) are in doubt concerning that which We have revealed unto you, [i.e. that your name is written in the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] then ask those who are reading the Book [the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] before you. Verily, the truth has come to you from your Lord. So be not of those who doubt (it)

Have you read in Surah 2 I think it is that it states that the Jews at Muhammad's time knew the description of the the Prophet to come, yet they concealed it? Also, you know that according to the QU'ran Jesus Prophecied Ahmed.

So from my understanding it is possible that the people of that time could have derived to the conclusion of Muhammad being a Prophet, so it would be logical that if Muhammad had any doubt that he could ask those people, furthermore, you must know the story of Khajida's cousin I think it is, who knew of Muhammad and understood who he was, because he had been well versed in the scriptures.

The passage seems to indicate that if Muhammad had doubt then he could ask the peopl of his time there and then.

And We sent not before you (O Muhammad SAW) but men to whom We inspired, so ask the people of the Reminder [Scriptures - the Taurat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel)] if you do not know.
Ask the people of the scripture whether people who have been inspired have been sent before Muhammad, this again is simple, I do not see how this shows the Bible is uncorrupt.

And argue not with the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), unless it be in (a way) that is better (with good words and in good manner, inviting them to Islamic Monotheism with His Verses), except with such of them as do wrong, and say (to them): "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you; our Ilah (God) and your Ilah (God) is One (i.e. Allah), and to Him we have submitted (as Muslims)."
One of the first verses I read in english of the Qu'ran. I do not see how this provides proof that the Bible has not been changed, of course Muslims believe in what has been REVEALED to Christians and Jews. Furthermore, if it has been changed is not the topic, we believe in all the Messengers, does that mean their message was for us? No, similarly we believe in all the books, but it does not mean that the books are either for us or still intact, rather such statements only tell us our beliefe and not our understanding of those things.

You see, whether we believe in a book is one question, and whether we believe it has been changed is another, whether we believe in Jesus is one question, and whether he was sent to us is another. It is not a simple, I believe, it is 'I believe' but at the same time, what we believe is something yet to be clarified.

Eesa.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.